HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft Thread Part 2: Bark to the Future

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2013, 08:24 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
If the Avs are truly shopping the #1 pick we should make a serious offer. Mackinnon is worth it.

#4+ Ellis/Blum + Beck

The Avs still might get Jones at 4 and if not they get Drouin, Nich or Barkov.

Old
05-29-2013, 08:33 AM
Ciccio1980

vCash: 500
Would you consider moving your pick to toronto for
Gardiner kulemin toe 1st and tie 2nd

Old
05-29-2013, 08:35 AM
Ciccio1980

Gardiner kulemin tor
1st and tor 2nd

Old
05-29-2013, 09:16 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciccio1980 View Post
Gardiner kulemin tor
1st and tor 2nd
No, the top 4-5 picks are 2003-esque quality, the 5-10 picks are top five quality in most other drafts, and we need a real forward. A Getzlaf-esque center (mainly in terms of size; seems to be more of a playmaker than a scorer) on super-friendly ELC terms is something we can't pass on, particularly with our current youth movement (Bourque, Wilson, Forsberg, Beck, even Hornqvist though he's a tad older). Sacrifice a few years of 6-10 seed results for a contender down the road; most of us are fine with that.

Old
05-29-2013, 09:38 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

It's so hard to tell on Youtube video what a player looks like but I will say off the entire group, Nichushkin looks like the most dynamic forward.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:33 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
It's so hard to tell on Youtube video what a player looks like but I will say off the entire group, Nichushkin looks like the most dynamic forward.
alright guys ... who's feeling a Russian anytime that is left on Poile's watch ? ... He should be forced to resign if that's the route he goes .... I wouldn't take any Russian after "The Space Cadet" went back home

Old
05-29-2013, 11:54 AM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
alright guys ... who's feeling a Russian anytime that is left on Poile's watch ? ... He should be forced to resign if that's the route he goes .... I wouldn't take any Russian after "The Space Cadet" went back home

Yeah I guess the pens should buy have taken malkin, or caps shouldn't have taken ovechkin.
Radulov was/is a headcase. Cannot stereotype every Russian like that.

Also,
Why do people keep mentioning bourque's name with guys like beck, forsberg, budish, etc. the guy is a third line player at best. That's all.

Old
05-29-2013, 11:56 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Drouin named the QMJHL and CHL player of the year.
Other players with that honor:

Alexander Radulov - 2005 - 2006
Sidney Crosby - 2003 - 2004, 2004 - 2005
Pierre-Marc Bouchard - 2001 - 2002
Simon Gamache - 2000 - 2001
Brad Richards - 1999 - 2000
Christian Dube - 1995 - 1996
Charles Poulin - 1991 - 1992
Mario Lemieux - 1983 - 1984
Pat LaFontaine - 1982 - 1983
Dale Hawerchuk - 1980 - 1981
Pierre Lacroix - 1978 - 1979

Old
05-29-2013, 11:57 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
So you wouldn't take the next Malkin, Datsyuk, or Federov because a guy from their country did something stupid? To remain consistent you would have to avoid Canadians as well after Heatley and Danton .... so there goes Mac and Drouin this year and the next Crosby, Orr, etc. What's that leave? Scout New Zealand, Australia, and Dubai until one of their products does something stupid?

Old
05-29-2013, 12:00 PM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
If the Avs are truly shopping the #1 pick we should make a serious offer. Mackinnon is worth it.

#4+ Ellis/Blum + Beck

The Avs still might get Jones at 4 and if not they get Drouin, Nich or Barkov.
Totally agree. I would do the same for Florida if the avs take jones. I would be willing to part with smith, ekholm and most other prospects in some combination as well. I know there is a lot of love for Barkov here but MacK appears to be a clearly better choice and perfect fit for our needs. If we had the 3rd pick I think we could swing it since the avs would be guaranteed to get jones or drouin... As is, I don't see them risking it. If TBL are in love with nichushkin though, which is possible, we could go from 4 to 3 to 1.

Old
05-29-2013, 12:01 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

http://thehockeywriters.com/valeri-n...ussian-factor/

Good read with some quotes from scouts. I found this interesting:

Quote:
In April, Nichushkin spoke of his views on North America and the potential of joining the Canadian Hockey League if he doesn’t make the NHL next season. Not everyone came away with a positive reaction.

“If I go to North America, I’ll go only to NHL,” Nichushkin said at the World Under-18 Championship. “I played in KHL, why [do] I need to go to CHL or AHL?”

Red flags could be spotted waving everywhere. But consider the possibility that the only reason Nichushkin sounds egotistic is because of the language barrier. Really, Nichushkin probably speaks better English than most of us do Russian.

But then came his trade from Traktor Chelyabinsk, his hometown team, to Dynamo Moscow. All of sudden, words changed.

“I had already decided to leave for the NHL,” said Nichushkin, who added both the Tampa Bay Lightning and Nashville Predators have expressed interest in drafting him. “[Dynamo] calmly reacted to this. I was told that I could leave if I want. No legal problems there. My deal with Dynamo is terminated and I am leaving a free agent.

If all is true here, Nichushkin instantly finds himself with a very interesting draft stock. Does his commitment to the NHL turn him into a top five pick?
I had not seen that bold / underlined quote anywhere until now. I still don't think we pull the trigger on him (the so-so two way play and possible refusal to play in the minors at any point mentioned in the article scream red alert for a team with a development process like ours), but things get interesting if Tampa does. Definitely have to take Drouin over Barkov, just that size Barkov brings would be really nice to have.

Old
05-29-2013, 12:40 PM
1stLineCottonCandy

From what I have seen from everyone talking its looking more and more that Barkov is Austin Watson with a little more offensive upside. I may be worng but that's the conclusion I have come to so far. So if I am correct I think we need to go with a more offensive minded player, I would really like to see Poile move up but if not either Lindholm or Nich you have to take the risk imo

Old
05-29-2013, 12:56 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
I hope those lines are not in order of 1st to 4th. Every team would be licking their chops to have their top line go against Beck/Legwand/Horny
too much emphasis is put on 1st line, 2nd line etc. Beck-Legwand-Hornquist actually looked like an NHL line at the end of the year. I really don't care who plays with who, as long as the minutes are distributed right--as in a rookie like Forsberg gets arounf 10 min ES and another 2 on the PP. Can't throw kids into thop 6 F or top 4 d roles unless you want to look like Edmonton. Only one I would say maybe to is Seth Jones. I think he could handle 20 min a night on the 2nd pair in Nashville.

And I can tell you now, hell will freeze over before Barry Trotz rolls out an even strength line of forsberg-Barkov-whoever in top 6 roles unless we are desperate and need to sell out offensively.

Old
05-29-2013, 02:35 PM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipthefuture View Post
From what I have seen from everyone talking its looking more and more that Barkov is Austin Watson with a little more offensive upside
Care to elaborate? You mean that Austin Watson who at age 21 was well below point per game in AHL. You want to compare that to Barkov who is a point per game player in a comparable, even higher level league than AHL at age 16 and 17?

At least open up who are these "everyone" that are talking these things. At least the professional scouts think Barkov has elite 1st line center upside. I don't know the upside of Watson, but I would think that "Austin Watson with a little more offensive upside" is a little bit of an understatement wouldn't you think?

Old
05-29-2013, 02:42 PM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkine View Post
Care to elaborate? You mean that Austin Watson who at age 21 was well below point per game in AHL. You want to compare that to Barkov who is a point per game player in a comparable, even higher level league than AHL at age 16 and 17?

At least open up who are these "everyone" that are talking these things. At least the professional scouts think Barkov has elite 1st line center upside. I don't know the upside of Watson, but I would think that "Austin Watson with a little more offensive upside" is a little bit of an understatement wouldn't you think?
The fact is the only elite prospect in this draft that has played against NHL talent to date is Barkov. People seem to forget that earlier this year during the lockout there were many NHL players playing nightly against Barkov and he held his own or flat out outplayed them at the age of 17! A young 17 at that. The only player I would want in this draft over Barkov is Mack and thats it.

Old
05-29-2013, 02:46 PM
herashak

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I'm far from a prospect expert, but apparently the drop off after the top-4 makes the proposal an easy no (though the value is decent).
from what i have seen there is a big 3. next 3 (barkov,nikki,lind), then monahan then another group of around 8

Old
05-29-2013, 03:19 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
from what i have seen there is a big 3. next 3 (barkov,nikki,lind), then monahan then another group of around 8
let me guess ... kids playing against kids ? ... (Mack, Drouin & Jones) ... ooookay

Old
05-29-2013, 03:29 PM
herashak

vCash: 50
Quote:
let me guess ... kids playing against kids ? ... (Mack, Drouin & Jones) ... ooookay
yeah something like the last 8 first overalls have played against "kids". they havent turned out well have they?

Old
05-29-2013, 04:07 PM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
yeah something like the last 8 first overalls have played against "kids". they havent turned out well have they?
Still Ovechkin, Malkin, Sedins, Sundin, O. Jokinen, Jagr, P. Forsberg, Backstrom etc, were no slouches either even though they didn't put up 2 PPG pace in pro leagues their draft years. They turned out well didn't they. Some even became better than Austin Watson. You don't necessarily have to be drafted out of the Junior leagues to become a hockey player.

Old
05-29-2013, 04:15 PM
RaiderDoug

I'll do my part to feed the Barkov-mania:

Mike Morreale ‏@mikemorrealeNHL 3h
Was in the hotel gym at 6am today; there was one other person already there -- prospect Aleksander Barkov. #meandbarks #dealwithit

https://twitter.com/mikemorrealeNHL/...16960847798274

Old
05-29-2013, 04:24 PM
Byrddog

vCash: 162
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...uation-process

Good Bad or indifferent

Old
05-29-2013, 04:30 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
I'm personally concerned about that shoulder. I hope it's not a big issue...

Old
05-29-2013, 04:31 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
It's Bleacher Report

Old
05-29-2013, 04:44 PM
Byrddog

Sure its bleacher report I read many different sites and try to remain open minded to opinion. People are sure quick to piss on other opinions. I did not say this was my thoughts on Barkov. Far too often articles are just taken as truth when the reality is somewhere in the middle. With the 4th pick everyone has just came to love Barkov. Im not sold There are weaknesses in this guy. He is a drop off from the top 3 and Lindholm in my opinion would be a better pick at 4.

Ya know even a broken clock is right twice a day. Im more concerned with the statment about on ice skating abilities than the shoulder which is a real concern. See Gaustad, Goose has had a bad shoulder for a number of years before he got to NAshville and lost a good part of the season here.

This 4th pick is going to be a crapshoot. And none of the guys that are available at 4 are not going to be a savior in the next year or two. And if there is truth to Barkov's skating we should pass on him.

Old
05-29-2013, 04:46 PM
Byrddog

Talent Analysis
Aleksander Barkov possesses the rare combination of size and outstanding technical skills along with an ability to quickly analyze situations. He is very mature in terms of hockey sense at an early age and has had success playing against much older players in Finland's SM-Liiga. His skating ability is still developing but is not a weakness. Does not play an abrasive game but has the size and strength to withstand the rigors of the more physical North American game

This is from Hockeys future. And a question on skating ability....... But not a weakness??????

Closed Thread