HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Louis Leblanc?

Old
05-28-2013, 04:59 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
I wasn't sold on Patches when he first came up, he was super small(not short) and he kept getting killed in the open ice, he would skate up the boards with his head down everytime and get rocked, I never thought he would last
ahah i remember this, he would also get out of the way last minute though and not the way Subban gets out of the way of hits last minute, Pacioretty would just get lucky, I gotta say he was also more physical early on.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 05:03 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
the issue is this

Can LL play bottom 6 ? he will never play top 6 with us

can he be a decent third liner ?
I don't see why not, I some ppl around here only want to think of a future bottom 6 of big guys that can fight, but realistic, I think LL can be a good bottom 6 player, he really knows how to grind and play along the boards, which is why I think the teams likes him as a RW as opposed to a Centre. LL did just fine when the Habs called him up last year, played really well defensive, threw his body around, sometime like 70 hits in 45 games, and this was after having 2 straight summers where he had surgery and really couldn't work out at was playing at around 180ibs.

If he can add some weight, get some confidence, he should be alright for almost any role.

Old
05-28-2013, 05:54 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBostonRedsox View Post
I completely agree. Development was killed last season with Gauthier bouncing him between NHL and AHL, and he was injured for awhile this season. Could next season be the make-or-break year for him? I mean, could his production next season determine whether he is a part of Montreal's future?
it's possible since he will need to clear waivers after next season so he will have to show something I'd wager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
I think LL will never make it to the NHL and will fade away from the game soon. Sure, he might be brought up and play a few minutes on the 3rd line, but after he gets physically abused, he will lose interest, and will probably resign himself to the reality that the only reason why he was drafted high was because he is French.
what a stupid thing to say, the sad thing is there must be people that actually believe this crap since I tend to hear/read it every so often. But when you spread the gene pool too thin, it shouldn't really be a surprise I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
For those who have watched him play in Hamilton & Montreal....what kind of player can he develop and be for the Habs? Who would he be similiar to as a player?
I've watched him in the USHL, NCAA, QMJHL, WJC's, AHL and NHL. He's a skilled two way player that is smart and hard working, he's at his best along the boards and in the corners as despite his lack of physical abilities he usually ends up with the puck. But this past season he was a shell of himself and nothing seemed to go right for him, it was like night and day from the previous season as his play took a major dive from where it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
We need to improve our AHL team before any of the kids are going to get that much better.

Expecting the kids to be the best players on the team and only bringing in vets like Stortini and Hagel .. what the serious ****?
I don't agree, no matter how bad your linemates are you should at least be able to show something on your own, it may not lead to the stat sheet but the concern I have with Leblanc is not the stats, which are bad in their own right but Hamilton couldn't muster offensive chances consistently so not a surprise, but it was the way he was playing that was so noticeable. He really looked terrible and often like he didn't want to be there, I don't know what was going on with him but even if you are struggling to put up points you gotta show more desire to compete night in and night out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
If louis leblanc wants to have sucess he will have to work like a madman during the offseason.... gain a good 10-15pounds and get himself mentaly prepared... then he will have a decent chances to put his carreer in the right track for a top 6 forward otherwise... he might be labeled athe next kyle chipchura quicker than he might hope.
gaining 10-15 lbs would be great for him as he needs to improve the physical aspects. But at this point I wouldn't be knocking Chipchura who had a solid season and has over 260 NHL games under his belt. With the way Leblanc looked last season, if he were to repeat that he would be lucky to get anything close to Chipchura sadly enough. But for the Habs sake I hope he figures it out and gets back on track next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
who do you suggest? Lefebvre seems to be universally praized by analysts & peers, but HFboarders hate him because of 1 bad year. EXCEPT everyone who came up from the Bulldogs looked good this year, and one guy is a calder candidate.

Makes sense.
Would you happen to have any links stating universal praized by analysts and peers? I believe MB has said good things about him but it's not like he's going to say otherwise in the media.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 05:57 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyosuke View Post
Have any of you seen LL play? What he needs to improve the most is his skating style and speed, the Men' league is just too fast for him to keep up in. His lack of physical presence doesn't help his cause either since he doesn't possess any sort of exceptional talent. He has a smart head on his shoulders and makes calm and safe decisions. It is probably not what our scouting team intended, but to salvage LL he'd likely find himself in a 3rd-4th line position if he ever dreams of cracking the NHL. The kids still young and who knows what he can improve or how his hockey sense and awareness will grow; but for now he's a longshot from cracking our roster and many other rookies in our system would probably get the nod over him.
He's been in some high visibility situations - the WJC and his stint with the Habs - and many posters here watch at least a few Hamilton games per year, while a handful watch every game. I think most are familiar with Leblanc. Not that everyone will agree about a player's strengths and weaknesses, of course, even when watching the same games. IMO his skating is fine, good even. It's more the speed at which he thinks the game that holds him back.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 06:05 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
He's been in some high visibility situations - the WJC and his stint with the Habs - and many posters here watch at least a few Hamilton games per year, while a handful watch every game. I think most are familiar with Leblanc. Not that everyone will agree about a player's strengths and weaknesses, of course, even when watching the same games. IMO his skating is fine, good even. It's more the speed at which he thinks the game that holds him back.
I don't think his skating is good, during the draft I didn't want him because his skating reminded me of Mike Ribeiro's, my bigger concern for him going into last season was his lack of physical abilities, lack of lower body strength, overall strength, lack of quickness, not very explosive and with his frame he may have trouble ever filling out the way he needs too. I never thought he had trouble with the speed at which he thinks the game but it's something I will look for going forward.

As for last season I still have no clue what happened, as it's like he just fell apart, nothing seemed to go his way for very long.

Old
05-28-2013, 06:28 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I don't think his skating is good, during the draft I didn't want him because his skating reminded me of Mike Ribeiro's, my bigger concern for him going into last season was his lack of physical abilities, lack of lower body strength, overall strength, lack of quickness, not very explosive and with his frame he may have trouble ever filling out the way he needs too. I never thought he had trouble with the speed at which he thinks the game but it's something I will look for going forward.

As for last season I still have no clue what happened, as it's like he just fell apart, nothing seemed to go his way for very long.
Just speaking about the physical abilities, I don't think that is a weakness in his game, I mean during his time with the Habs he was very good along the boards, threw hits, and played a physical game, for a guy that was coming off 2 straight summers of surgery and not being able to work out.

IMO his game is perfectly suited for a 3rd 4th line right winger, that you can either move up to either centre or in the top 6 in cases of injuries.

I really don't want to be that guy that post a video of one random play but I remember Leblanc making a lot of plays along the boards line this, just winning puck battles. I mean wasn't that the reason he was moved to RW, because he was able to win so many puck battles, because with a guy with his hockey IQ, he would be a better at centre if he didnt play physical.

Just listened to Armstrong on tsn radio from this morning, it seems like the Habs don't plan on re-signing him, unless other plans don't plan out, thats 1 roster spot maybe up for graps for Leblanc aim to get.

Old
05-28-2013, 06:32 PM
NotProkofievian

Sometimes players have ****** seasons. Leblanc had himself a ****** season last year. I won't be worried until I learn more about how he handled it, what he did with his summer, and what kind of shape he's coming into camp with. I think he has the tools to be a valuable player with the habs.

NotProkofievian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 07:08 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post
When he made the "leave me in Hamilton for the whole year" comment in 2010-2011. Most people in the Pacioretty thread were saying he was a bust.

For Leblanc, I really believe he was still slowed down a lot by that injury. I still think he can be a really good 3rd line winger that can play on the second line once in a while.
More evaluation in Hamilton will determine Leblanc's fate. It all rests on his shoulders whether he can handle the pressure to perform.

I am going out on a limb and call it 50-50. He does have NHL experience in his favor. And, the NHL experience works against him as well since I am sure that he feels he "deserves" to be in Montreal.

Next season should make it more clear.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 07:28 PM
Et le But

Lebust.

Hopefully he starts the season healthy this time.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 08:56 PM
andy28

He had one bad season with injury problems. I thought he looked decent when he was with the big club. Too early to call the kid a bust. One bad year does not mean he can't be an effective NHLer.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 08:57 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I thought he showed a lot of "smarts" with his work along the boards and in the cycling game, just... well, you can be as smart as you want at that, but in the NHL you're going to have to be able to absorb a good bit of punishment doing it, and my fear was that Leblanc wasn't going to be able to survive with that as his forte in the NHL. Now... it's just not clear where his forte is going to be. He has to gain strength and be willing to hustle constantly, and if he does that, he'll be fine for an NHL career IMHO (somewhat like a Chris Higgins, with some notable differences). But those aren't givens at this point. Nothing to do but sit back and see what he does next year in Hamilton.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 11:01 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
I think LL will never make it to the NHL and will fade away from the game soon. Sure, he might be brought up and play a few minutes on the 3rd line, but after he gets physically abused, he will lose interest, and will probably resign himself to the reality that the only reason why he was drafted high was because he is French.
What is this...

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 11:13 PM
Guilliam

I think Leblanc could actually be the same kind of player that Colby Armstrong was in his prime. 3rd liner, doesn't have one outstanding attribute but plays a smart, solid, intense game and will give you some secondary scoring. His skating style is weird but I don't think he's slow either.

Guilliam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 11:15 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
I think Leblanc could actually be the same kind of player that Colby Armstrong was in his prime. 3rd liner, doesn't have one outstanding attribute but plays a smart, solid, intense game and will give you some secondary scoring. His skating style is weird but I don't think he's slow either.
Leblanc has one... or two. He has IQ Armstrong could only dream of +He's pretty intense and good along the board.

He'll make it, don't even worry.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:18 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBostonRedsox View Post
This kind of reminds me of the situation Pacioretty was in 3 short years ago. Everybody thought was going to be a bust. Now look at him.
If you read the boards this year you'd think he was a bust.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 11:39 PM
Pricenyuk
Montreal961

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
He had one bad year and he had a tough injury, I really like LL, surprised that soo many ppl have given up on him already.
Hmmmm... im beginning to see a trend here... http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1434707

Anyway, hoping that Le-Blank can have himself a good season next year. If he pans out he could be an asset to our bottom 6 going forward.

Pricenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 11:41 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Leblanc has one... or two. He has IQ Armstrong could only dream of +He's pretty intense and good along the board.

He'll make it, don't even worry.
I'm not worried. I didn't mean this as a shot against Leblanc. Armstrong was a pretty good player in his prime before all those injuries.

You are right though that, even though I think Armstrong is a pretty smart player on the defensive side of things and the "puck management" aspect, Leblanc ar far superior offensive instincts and IQ.

Guilliam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:30 AM
attachetatuque
un gros bonhomme!

The guy broke his femur in Bantam...the guy is soft. Not mentally, but physically.
I would love to see him crack the line up, i think he could be a good two way player, but he's got to beef up, he literally has no choice but to gain an extra 15 pounds.

attachetatuque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 05:36 AM
habsfanatics

Was never a huge fan of Louis, but I still think he'll be a quality 3rd liner who can jump into the top 6 in small stints. This season was weird for him, but I think it's premature to write him off completely.

habsfanatics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 07:47 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

He's added about 20lbs since being drafted so adding weight isn't a big issue. He's a guy that's wiry strong like Simmonds, knocks bigger players off the puck regularly and plays bigger than his size.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 07:49 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by daGreenGiant View Post
The guy broke his femur in Bantam...the guy is soft. Not mentally, but physically.
I would love to see him crack the line up, i think he could be a good two way player, but he's got to beef up, he literally has no choice but to gain an extra 15 pounds.
Not sure where you get that he is soft physically, did you watch him last year? He obviously needed more strength/weight but was definitely not soft and stuck his nose in there against bigger players.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 09:39 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

He had a bad year on a ****** team dealing with injuries...

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 09:46 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by daGreenGiant View Post
He's not soft, he gets injured a lot because he plays a hard game for his frame. He's no gummy bear, sadly.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:57 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Just speaking about the physical abilities, I don't think that is a weakness in his game, I mean during his time with the Habs he was very good along the boards, threw hits, and played a physical game, for a guy that was coming off 2 straight summers of surgery and not being able to work out.

IMO his game is perfectly suited for a 3rd 4th line right winger, that you can either move up to either centre or in the top 6 in cases of injuries.

I really don't want to be that guy that post a video of one random play but I remember Leblanc making a lot of plays along the boards line this, just winning puck battles. I mean wasn't that the reason he was moved to RW, because he was able to win so many puck battles, because with a guy with his hockey IQ, he would be a better at centre if he didnt play physical.
When I say lack of physical abilities I mean skating, strength, speed, etc... so he clearly needs improvement as he's got to fill out more, get stronger and quicker imo. As I've said he's smart and hard working, he is usually at his best along the wall and in the corners but if he can improve in these areas it should help him a great deal in the NHL. He will take the body but it's not something he's very effective at imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
He's added about 20lbs since being drafted so adding weight isn't a big issue. He's a guy that's wiry strong like Simmonds, knocks bigger players off the puck regularly and plays bigger than his size.
Well he was a bean poll when he was drafted, and now that he's filled out some, it's good for him but imo he needs to add more strength and get quicker.

Old
05-29-2013, 11:07 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
When I say lack of physical abilities I mean skating, strength, speed, etc... so he clearly needs improvement as he's got to fill out more, get stronger and quicker imo. As I've said he's smart and hard working, he is usually at his best along the wall and in the corners but if he can improve in these areas it should help him a great deal in the NHL. He will take the body but it's not something he's very effective at imo.

Well he was a bean poll when he was drafted, and now that he's filled out some, it's good for him but imo he needs to add more strength and get quicker.
For sure he would need to get bigger, stronger and faster. No one denies that. That doesnt = a bust though, like some have been proposing

He really needs to get quicker and sturdyer IMO. He's strong and fast at the moment, but he's not sturdy like other good board guys and he's not super quick in close.