HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 8.0

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2013, 09:41 AM
NotProkofievian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
In a draft like this for there to be any material question as to whether a player taken in the first round may even make the NHL, is reason enough to consider the many other options that will be available at 25/24. Let some other team assume that risk. I say: Pass. Pass. Pass.
That criterion is a bit strong for my tastes, but I do agree with your conclusion in this case. I would rather take a chance on a guy like Dickinson, or Klimchuk.

Old
05-29-2013, 09:42 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Domi, Rychel and Burakowsky all have strong bloodlines.. Who else? As we know, Timmins values them highly.
I know he isn't popular but... Anthony Duclair has a great history of athletes in his family.

Father, Wendell, and mother, Dominque, are of Haitian origin whose families arrived in Canada during the 70ís. Father develops a love for hockey but ends up playing university football. His brother and Anthonyís uncle, Farell, one upís him and wins the Grey Cup as a fullback with the Calgary Stampeders in 1998.

Source: http://thehockeywriters.com/combine/...spect-profile/

Old
05-29-2013, 09:43 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I don;t see us spending a pick on Yakimov, best case projectsions have him as a bottom 6 type grinder, why pick a guy like that from Russia? Cases like that guys will make more money in the KHL than coming to the NHL for 1-2 mil/year.
Should stop valuing projections from obscure blogs and give it a go with your own. He has good assets and he'll go around the third or even later. He'd be a great addition to our squad.

Quote:
Domi, Rychel and Burakowsky all have strong bloodlines.. Who else? As we know, Timmins values them highly.
I would absolutely LOVE Burakowsky at 25. I'd be pretty thrilled.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:10 AM
Dada

What's killing me is that from one draft to another, from 10th to 50th there is no unanimous standing, everybody has a different draft projection, so it's reeeallly hard to just choose the bpa at each rank, there's too much talent. Timmins must be pulling his hair off as we get closer to the draft each day..

That being said, as a high risk/high reward pick, I'd try Duclair with a late pick

Old
05-29-2013, 10:11 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Who cares? Maybe we can draft Justin Trudeau, he has pretty good bloodlines. What do Pederson, Vallis, Bilodeau, Ryan, Brown, Ryan, Higgins, Ward and Chouinard have in common? All were first round draft choices of Montreal who came into the draft with acknowledged limitations and deficiencies in their skating. None made it. Year after year of drafting futility. Rychel has limited skating ability. We should not even be considering him. Let some other team assume the risk that he will improve this vital skill. It is interesting that many have said we should be trying to 'hit a home run' with our first round choice. That's a metaphor for saying 'let's draft a player with a high upside'. With Rychel, you are trying to hit a single: that he even makes the NHL.
This is why I hope they stay away from Pulock....he is a one trick pony(booming shot)
Much rather draft a Klimchuck or Duclair who have great speed and offense

Old
05-29-2013, 10:13 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
This is why I hope they stay away from Pulock....he is a one trick pony(booming shot)
Much rather draft a Klimchuck or Duclair who have great speed and offense
Heh... Pulock is not a one trick pony...

Please, do not spread bs on the draft board, it's the only board where there's a bit of sense

If you want to know more about Pulock, we'd be ecstastic to help you, though.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:16 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Heh... Pulock is not a one trick pony...

Please, do not spread bs on the draft board, it's the only board where there's a bit of sense

If you want to know more about Pulock, we'd be ecstastic to help you, though.
I've seen him play and read enough about him that I hope we don't draft him. Not sure what you see in him ....much more interesting picks out there

Old
05-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
I've seen him play and read enough about him that I hope we don't draft him. Not sure what you see in him ....much more interesting picks out there
Are you sure you're not mistaken? Pulock is a real blue chipper and he'd be a lock for the top 10 in any other year...

Old
05-29-2013, 10:21 AM
WeThreeKings
Sept 19th

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Who cares? Maybe we can draft Justin Trudeau, he has pretty good bloodlines. What do Pederson, Vallis, Bilodeau, Ryan, Brown, Ryan, Higgins, Ward and Chouinard have in common? All were first round draft choices of Montreal who came into the draft with acknowledged limitations and deficiencies in their skating. None made it. Year after year of drafting futility. Rychel has limited skating ability. We should not even be considering him. Let some other team assume the risk that he will improve this vital skill. It is interesting that many have said we should be trying to 'hit a home run' with our first round choice. That's a metaphor for saying 'let's draft a player with a high upside'. With Rychel, you are trying to hit a single: that he even makes the NHL.
Timmins cares. Bloodlines is one of the things he looks for in prospects. Foot speed is another. It's pretty easy to put 1 and 1 together with Timmins to find out if he would be interested in a player or not.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:25 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Should stop valuing projections from obscure blogs and give it a go with your own. He has good assets and he'll go around the third or even later. He'd be a great addition to our squad.
Every scout I have spoken to or read has him as a bottom 6 type player, not high end skills. His style is similar to Moen or Z.Smith. Guys like taht will stay in the KHl and make bigger money rather than less to play in NA.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:27 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Every scout I have spoken to or read has him as a bottom 6 type player, not high end skills. His style is similar to Moen or Z.Smith. Guys like taht will stay in the KHl and make bigger money rather than less to play in NA.
He has a similar skill set to a guy like Latendresse, I'd say. He has way better hands than Moen for sure.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:30 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Are you sure you're not mistaken? Pulock is a real blue chipper and he'd be a lock for the top 10 in any other year...
Here is a quote from a scout on Pulock....
"He might be as good now as he is ever gonna be"
"A lot of guys in this draft will go by him down the road"
"He has a good shot but his size and mobility are average"
"He's not going to wow you"
"Others think he will struggle to be a top six dman"

BUT he has a good shot so that is one positve

Old
05-29-2013, 10:34 AM
ChesterNimitz

Quote:
I would absolutely LOVE Burakowsky at 25. I'd be pretty thrilled.
Agreed. I'm hoping he will be available at 34. I can always dream.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:41 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Here is a quote from a scout on Pulock....
"He might be as good now as he is ever gonna be"
"A lot of guys in this draft will go by him down the road"
"He has a good shot but his size and mobility are average"
"He's not going to wow you"
"Others think he will struggle to be a top six dman"

BUT he has a good shot so that is one positve
He's 6'1, has a booming shot for sure, he sees the ice extremely well, he's a good hitter, he's a leader on the ice and he's an above average skater... I really don't see where this scout is coming from.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:45 AM
ChesterNimitz

[QUOTE=WeThreeKings;66735763]Timmins cares. Bloodlines is one of the things he looks for in prospects. Foot speed is another. It's pretty easy to put 1 and 1 together with Timmins to find out if he would be interested in a player or not.[/QUOTE]

If he places bloodlines on a par with skating ability in his decision making process, it's time to find a new head of scouting.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:46 AM
Draft

Quote:
Timmins cares. Bloodlines is one of the things he looks for in prospects. Foot speed is another. It's pretty easy to put 1 and 1 together with Timmins to find out if he would be interested in a player or not.
Top-5 skater in the draft, professional athletes in the family, great work ethic. Anthony Duclair.

But many people don't think he's a Timmins pick. Maybe it isn't just 1+1?

Character
Foot-speed
Bloodlines
Work ethic
Hockey IQ
Physical tools

Maybe it's more like 3+3 for a Timmins pick.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:48 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:
He's 6'1, has a booming shot for sure, he sees the ice extremely well, he's a good hitter, he's a leader on the ice and he's an above average skater... I really don't see where this scout is coming from.
I have read alot of write-ups on players and I have yet to read that he is an above average skater with mobility. I think he is closer to below average and doesn't seem to have quickness in turning

INterested what you have read or heard that makes you positive on him?

Old
05-29-2013, 10:50 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
I have an issue taking a guy whose numbers have not progressed between his 16/17 year old season and his draft season. Obviously it doesn't tell the whole story as the Wheat Kings sucked this year, but you'd hope a guy being picked in the Top 15 shows some kind of statistical progression.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:50 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherKing View Post
I agree with pretty much everything you have wrote and especially the emboldened parts. I see Wenneberg as a "real sleeper pick" and wouldn't be surprised to see him slip into the top 10 but no way in hell he is there even close to when Habs pick, age notwithstanding. Just my opinion, but once you get past the first 6-8 picks, I think Wenneberg deserves serious consideration. This guy looks "blue chip" to me.
He is pretty well known in the scouting community, less with fans because he plays in Europe. He really boosted his stock at the U20. I agree it would be a shock if he was there late teens.

Quote:
No question he made mistakes. But so did Galchenyuk. I see no one considering sending him to Hamilton to develop his game. I believe that once a player reaches a certain level of development he will only improve if he plays against superior competition. If this was not true, then why not send Tinordi to the ECHL, where he could play 40 minutes a game? The answer to this absurd suggestion is simple: because the level of competition wouldn't challenge him and his development would atrophy. Tinordi belongs in the NHL where he will soon be a core player and leader on this team.
Galchenyuk can't play AHL, that's why he made the team this year, he had nothing left to proce OHL. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Plus, it's harder to "hide" a d-man than a winger in terms of ice time/situations and matchups. I think he can benefit a lot from another half to full year AHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Wut?

The weakest link on D in those playoffs was the Gorges - Diaz pair. And it wasn't even close.
So why did they get tough matchups then?

You can't compare struggling against top lines and #1 PP's to a guy playing 13 minutes a night on the 3rd pair against 3rd and 4th lines.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:51 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Top-5 skater in the draft, professional athletes in the family, great work ethic. Anthony Duclair.

But many people don't think he's a Timmins pick. Maybe it isn't just 1+1?

Character
Foot-speed
Bloodlines
Work ethic
Hockey IQ
Physical tools

Maybe it's more like 3+3 for a Timmins pick.
After reading more articles on Duclair , I am now wanting to draft him with one of the 2nd's. Having that amazing speed would be fun to watch. His negatives can be easily worked on as he matures.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:54 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
He has a similar skill set to a guy like Latendresse, I'd say. He has way better hands than Moen for sure.
...and a guy like Latendresse would be playing KHL right now if he was Russian.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
After reading more articles on Duclair , I am now wanting to draft him with one of the 2nd's. Having that amazing speed would be fun to watch. His negatives can be easily worked on as he matures.
The big test in terms of the Habs and Duclair will be how they percieve his intangibles. Work ethic, character and attitude. Most of it they probably already know, plus more at the combines/interviews.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Draft

Quote:
So why did they get tough matchups then?

You can't compare struggling against top lines and #1 PP's to a guy playing 13 minutes a night on the 3rd pair against 3rd and 4th lines.
Nailed it.

If we put aside the fact that we want to ice a roster next year with a 6'7 monster with fists on the back end and the fact we appreciated how big he looked next to Gionta in the playoffs, it's easy to see that another year/half year in the AHL would be the best thing for Tinordi's development.

Old
05-29-2013, 10:58 AM
Draft

Up until the problems with Erne, I'd never seen or heard anything but rave reviews about his work ethic and attitude towards hockey. Would also have liked to see his numbers improve from last year. Some of it can be blamed on the ****storm in Quebec but, I think everyone would have liked to see him increase his production.

Old
05-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
I have read alot of write-ups on players and I have yet to read that he is an above average skater with mobility. I think he is closer to below average and doesn't seem to have quickness in turning

INterested what you have read or heard that makes you positive on him?
I don't really value others opinion as a whole, I base it on my own viewings mainly.

I really don't get why you say he's a below average skater... There's nothing below average about his skating. Where did you read that ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le_Sean
I have an issue taking a guy whose numbers have not progressed between his 16/17 year old season and his draft season. Obviously it doesn't tell the whole story as the Wheat Kings sucked this year, but you'd hope a guy being picked in the Top 15 shows some kind of statistical progression.
He had a PPG after 30ish games, then he got injured and he played injured after. He also played with the worst team in the CHL? I agree that at first tought it is alarming, but when you know he had an injury(I think it was the wrist...) and that he played on that team... He was the leading scorer for his team also. In his best year he had two 100 points players I think on his team.

Closed Thread