HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

2013 NHL Draft (draft day chat link in Post 887)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-28-2013, 07:38 PM
  #476
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse
 
IPreferPi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,528
vCash: 500
We really need top end offensive talent, not depth. Samuelsson, Lessio, Brown, Shinnimin - maybe they can develop into Top 6 scoring forwards, but right now they look more like Bottom 6- ers to me. Good, solid bottom 6-ers, but doesn't really address our scoring woes.

Hence, I'm not really a fan of moving down in this draft and passing up on someone like Domi who can definitely be available at 12.

IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 07:43 PM
  #477
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Is Rychel's effort level inconsistent, though, or has it simply improved from the beginning of the season?
Could be. I haven't seen him in months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
The best comparison I can think of is James Neal, though I expect Rychel to be picked a little earlier.
To me he plays a lot like Peter Mueller except for he occasionally very violent. He 's not a terribly physical player and he doesn't really play a power forward game. He's more of an opportunist like Ryder or Mueller or Neal, but with an odd caveat where by he will drop the mitts from time to time and mess some people up. You don't normally see guys like that. Guys who seem to like to fight but don't really play an intense game during actual game play. Kind of unique.

With some development, he might end up an amazing PF prospect. He's definitely worth a first round pick. No doubt. Guy put up double digit fighting majors as a rookie, and then the year BEFORE his draft year he drops 40 goals. That's nuts. It's worth a 1st pick. Just not ahead of the ten forwards I listed above. At least not in my opinion. Heck, I'd probably take Hartman before him too. Possibly Klimchuck. Rychel might be my fifteenth forward, though.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 08:57 PM
  #478
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse
 
IPreferPi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
Gormley is projected to be a 1-2 defenseman and I believe most consider that projection a fairly safe bet. Personally I don't think moving up 7 spots worth that, not even close.
It'll probably take Gormley + the 12th to move up into the Top 5. Although I'm still very concerned about Gormley reaching his potential only playing 14 mins/night behind OEL and Yandle, that's still too much to give up. Only player I would consider doing that move for would be Mackinnon.

IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 09:02 PM
  #479
hbk
Registered User
 
hbk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,538
vCash: 500
I'll predict a Skinner, McBain, and 5th overall for Yandle and 12th.

P.s. my avatar is the nameplate from the CHL Defenseman of the year when Yandle won it with Moncton.


Last edited by hbk: 05-28-2013 at 10:02 PM.
hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 10:00 PM
  #480
DesertDawg
Registered User
 
DesertDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Superstition Mts
Posts: 4,561
vCash: 500
Thought about
Yandle and the 12th for the 1st overall
'Canes having interest in Ristolainen, who might be available at the 12th pick and losing Corvo, MA Bergeron, and Sanguinetti to free agency (doubt that McBain is available, but Peters may give Burke interest).

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 10:38 PM
  #481
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion
 
Sinurgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 7,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Thought about
Yandle and the 12th for the 1st overall
'Canes having interest in Ristolainen, who might be available at the 12th pick and losing Corvo, MA Bergeron, and Sanguinetti to free agency (doubt that McBain is available, but Peters may give Burke interest).
Carolina doesn't have the #1 overall pick, they have the 5th pick.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 11:56 PM
  #482
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
I'll predict a Skinner, McBain, and 5th overall for Yandle and 12th.

P.s. my avatar is the nameplate from the CHL Defenseman of the year when Yandle won it with Moncton.
As much as it'd kill me to see Yandle go, I'd have to do that.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:03 AM
  #483
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse
 
IPreferPi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
I'll predict a Skinner, McBain, and 5th overall for Yandle and 12th.
If it was Dalpe/Terry/Welsh instead of McBain, + the 5th I would definitely think about sending over the fax. Damn it though, I want Yandle to stay.

IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 03:17 AM
  #484
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs
 
Sindiggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chandler, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,543
vCash: 500
I'm still holding out hope that GMDM (isn't that great we can still us that term) can swing Gormley to Edmonton for #7 overall if Lindholm is still on the board and after reading several things about Nish going before him then it's entirely possible.

Then with the 12th overall we take Shinkaruk. If Shinkaruk isn't available, then I'd like to move down in the draft and get multiple selections within the top 35 and I'd take Wennberg and Klimchuk.


So Scenario #1 we get Lindholm and Shinkaruk
Scenario #2 we get Lindholm, Wennberg and Klimchuk or Lindholm, Klimchuk and Rychel

I'm really high on Klimchuk and Rychel, not so much on Mantha, but none of these guys I'd take at 12, so I'd roll the dice and move down to get multiple selections within the top 35.

Even for Scenario #1 where we get Lindholm and Shinkaruk I'd still like to move back up into the late 1st to select either of Klimchuk or Rychel.

I'd be ecstatic to come away with Lindholm, Shinkaruk and Klimchuk/Rychel in this draft.

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 10:58 AM
  #485
Grimes
Registered User
 
Grimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: AZ
Posts: 865
vCash: 500
Quote:
I'm still holding out hope that GMDM (isn't that great we can still us that term) can swing Gormley to Edmonton for #7 overall if Lindholm is still on the board and after reading several things about Nish going before him then it's entirely possible.
It would be pretty scary having Edmonton in our division with their top 6 and the addition of Gormley in their top D pairing. It will be interesting to see if teams trade less with their new division opponents in the coming season.

Grimes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 11:10 AM
  #486
Kaibur
Registered User
 
Kaibur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
I'll predict a Skinner, McBain, and 5th overall for Yandle and 12th.

P.s. my avatar is the nameplate from the CHL Defenseman of the year when Yandle won it with Moncton.
That's an awfully good trade, and it would dramatically change the shape of the Yotes. I'd hate to see Yandle go, but I'm not sure how else Maloney will manage it. Draft day is going to be interesting.

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 06:48 PM
  #487
zerekstar
Registered User
 
zerekstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Thunderbay, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 957
vCash: 500
Skinner has no defence to his game at all so I can't see Tippet working with him.

zerekstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 06:59 PM
  #488
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse
 
IPreferPi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerekstar View Post
Skinner has no defence to his game at all so I can't see Tippet working with him.
If Ray Whitney, who's been a perimeter player all his career, can thrive under Tippett, Skinner certainly can too. It's not like he doesn't backcheck, at the least.

IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 07:16 PM
  #489
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion
 
Sinurgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 7,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerekstar View Post
Skinner has no defence to his game at all so I can't see Tippet working with him.
I'd be more worried about his concussion history.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 07:44 PM
  #490
XX
... Waiting
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 27,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
That's an awfully good trade, and it would dramatically change the shape of the Yotes. I'd hate to see Yandle go, but I'm not sure how else Maloney will manage it. Draft day is going to be interesting.
Maloney doesn't strike me as the type to get high on a guy and go after him in the draft. You'd have to really love someone to use Yandle to move from 12 to 5, despite the other goodies in that trade. He has shown patience and taken BPA in the past. 12 is a good spot for someone to fall to. I'd actually like to see him trade back if they love one of the guys ranked towards the back half of the 1st round. Depth is always nice.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 07:55 PM
  #491
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse
 
IPreferPi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
I'd actually like to see him trade back if they love one of the guys ranked towards the back half of the 1st round. Depth is always nice.
Forward depth is absolutely not a problem for us. GMDM has exhibited time and again he can acquire good depth for cheap. Lack of top end talent is our problem, and trading back does not address that in any way.

IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 08:02 PM
  #492
XX
... Waiting
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 27,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Forward depth is absolutely not a problem for us. GMDM has exhibited time and again he can acquire good depth for cheap. Lack of top end talent is our problem, and trading back does not address that in any way.
You're not going to convince me that anyone outside of the consensus top 3 is worth trading around for. The difference between Monahan or Lindholm at five and Domi or Horvat at 12 is not worth moving Keith Yandle.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 08:03 PM
  #493
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse
 
IPreferPi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 5,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
You're not going to convince me that anyone outside of the consensus top 3 is worth trading around for. The difference between Monahan or Lindholm at five and Domi or Horvat at 12 is not worth moving Keith Yandle.
I have absolute faith in GMDM that if he does move up, it won't involve moving Yandle unless its a package he can't say no to.

And FWIW, I'm sold on Lindholm. Kid could've contended for the Top 3 in previous years. I see Patrice Bergeron in him, and lord knows this franchise could absolutely use a Bergeron franchise center. I'd definitely consider packaging Rundblad/Gormley to get him if the price is right.


Last edited by IPreferPi: 05-29-2013 at 08:10 PM.
IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 11:05 PM
  #494
DesertDawg
Registered User
 
DesertDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Superstition Mts
Posts: 4,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
Carolina doesn't have the #1 overall pick, they have the 5th pick.
Colorado does and was assumed, sorry for not being more clear. 2 different scenarios. Yandle and the 12th pick for the 1st overall - doubt that the Avs would make that trade, but they should have interest in Yandle. Speculation from "Avs are shopping the 1st overall" (from the main board).

Also I doubt that GMDM would want Skinner's contract (mostly concern about the term) or the 'Canes would move McBain or Skinner.
My guess: Gormley (Stone maybe) and the 12th for the 5th overall. And it wouldn't surprise me if the 'Yotes get someone back (like Peters). It would be a coup if it's Klesla...

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 12:51 AM
  #495
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,459
vCash: 500
All of this other chatter aside, if we leave the draft with Keith Yandle, Brandon Gormley, and Max Domi, I'm a happy camper.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:07 AM
  #496
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,459
vCash: 500
Coyotes fans are severely understating Brandon Gormley. I'd take him 6th overall in this draft. I'd move him straight across for Monahan or Lindholm but only due to our dire straits of positional need. There is no effing way I'd move him AND the 12th (in my mind Max Domi or Hunter Shinkaruk) for one of those two. Just poor asset management. If Colorado would take 12 and Gormley for number one (Nathan MacKinnon) I'd do it. Short of that, no way.

Draft position of drafted prospects is absurdly overrated. For instance, last draft, I'd take Trouba as my first D, Reilly as my second D and Murray and Maatta are probably tied for third/fourth.Reinhart near them, almost tied. Then Ceci. Gormley behind only Trouba and maybe Reilly. I like him much more than Murray and Maatta. Obviously just my opinion, which obviously isn't worth much. That said, when you look at drafts ten years later, they're all inside out and backwards.


Last edited by rt: 05-30-2013 at 01:19 AM.
rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:12 AM
  #497
CC96
Serious Offender
 
CC96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 11,120
vCash: 500
^ I'm with rt on Brandon Gormley. He could very well develop into an impact defenseman for us. From what I've seen from him in juniors, his style of play almost reminds me of a lite version of Shea Weber.

CC96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:17 AM
  #498
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion
 
Sinurgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 7,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Colorado does and was assumed, sorry for not being more clear. 2 different scenarios. Yandle and the 12th pick for the 1st overall - doubt that the Avs would make that trade, but they should have interest in Yandle. Speculation from "Avs are shopping the 1st overall" (from the main board).

Also I doubt that GMDM would want Skinner's contract (mostly concern about the term) or the 'Canes would move McBain or Skinner.
My guess: Gormley (Stone maybe) and the 12th for the 5th overall. And it wouldn't surprise me if the 'Yotes get someone back (like Peters). It would be a coup if it's Klesla...
I would not trade the #12 pick and Yandle for #1.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:26 AM
  #499
rt
Usually Incorrect
 
rt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Rarely Sober
Country: United States
Posts: 41,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC96 View Post
^ I'm with rt on Brandon Gormley. He could very well develop into an impact defenseman for us. From what I've seen from him in juniors, his style of play almost reminds me of a lite version of Shea Weber.
I can't really get behind that. Weber is like a power D. He's got maybe the NHL's hardest shot and he plays the game like a physical, mean, angry SoB.

Gormley is pure cerebral. Zbynek Michalek on D and Tomas Kaberle on O. Not particularly physically gifted and pretty much without those raw tools that draw you in. Kind of like the anti-weber.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:28 AM
  #500
XX
... Waiting
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 27,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
I can't really get behind that. Weber is like a power D. He's got maybe the NHL's hardest shot and he plays the game like a physical, mean, angry SoB.

Gormley is pure cerebral. Zbynek Michalek on D and Tomas Kaberle on O. Not particularly physically gifted and pretty much without those raw tools that draw you in. Kind of like the anti-weber.
EJ McGuire is the one who compared him to Weber first. Niedermayer with worse wheels? So... Dan Boyle?

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.