HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Tortorella Has Been Fired and the subsequent coaching search

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-29-2013, 02:47 PM
  #876
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
13 years is too long I agree, but what has Sather done LATELY that people didn't like? don't say Richards unless u didn't like it AT THE TIME
I didn't like the Nash trade at the time, but that's been beaten to death.

Plenty here didn't like the Richards signing at the time.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 02:47 PM
  #877
Greg02
Registered User
 
Greg02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
13 years is too long I agree, but what has Sather done LATELY that people didn't like? don't say Richards unless u didn't like it AT THE TIME
Lots of people didn't like the Clowe trade.

Of course, lot's of people didn't like the Gaborik trade too.

Greg02 is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 02:47 PM
  #878
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
13 years is too long I agree, but what has Sather done LATELY that people didn't like? don't say Richards unless u didn't like it AT THE TIME
Richards. That and he probably should have kept Feds, some things were out of his control like Prust wanting a huge raise and a chance to live with his GF in Montreal. Not a fan of all his signings but that happens with all teams.

Barbara Underhill is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 02:47 PM
  #879
Aufheben
Moderator
 
Aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Angola
Posts: 11,328
vCash: 69
Out of that trio? Dave Tippet, no question.

Aufheben is online now  
Old
05-29-2013, 02:47 PM
  #880
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFiP View Post
From AV's Wikipedia page:

"He is now in line to become the next New York Rangers coach, or is at least a candidate."

Somebody's jumping the gun.
insider info? o.O

GregSirico is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 02:48 PM
  #881
Tundra
Registered User
 
Tundra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,612
vCash: 500
I could see Tortorella going to an organization like Winnipeg and turning them around. I think he'll find a job relatively quick, given his impressive resume.

Tundra is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 02:48 PM
  #882
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Whens the last time the Rangers had a Torey Krug-like breakout? The drafting and, specifically, the roster management have been horrid for years now. But yea, thats the coaches fault. All 5 of them, including Sather himself once.
Horrid?

Who's got the 3rd high winning pct in the EC since the lockout?

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

GWOW is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 02:48 PM
  #883
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
I could see Tortorella going to an organization like Winnipeg and turning them around. I think he'll find a job relatively quick, given his impressive resume.
I don't know. I have a feeling it might take the public persona issues to wear off first.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 02:48 PM
  #884
Richter Scale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
good argument. You say never in his tenure and then present as evidence this year's deadline with two players who can't be used as evidence due to injury and position. Well done.
I was listing the deadline acquisitions who the OP claimed Torts somehow magically got to "stop scoring." Stop being intentionally dense. Do you see a player on that list whose scoring suffered under Torts after coming here? Mind explaining how it is a poor argument? Or perhaps pointing out the deadline acquisitions this year who Torts forced to stop scoring?

...and regarding "never in his tenure" -- I've listed out all players who have come and gone under him in other threads. There was not more than one good example of a player who either A. stopped scoring when they came to NYR, or B. scoring exploded after leaving. Want to give it a go? Please show me the way.

Richter Scale is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 02:49 PM
  #885
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
13 years is too long I agree, but what has Sather done LATELY that people didn't like? don't say Richards unless u didn't like it AT THE TIME
Aside from Richards (which I was on the fence about) everything he has done over he last 4/5Y had more +'s than -'s.

GregSirico is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 02:49 PM
  #886
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 10,409
vCash: 500
I wish we could have been able to go through the coaching change before Housley was hired by Nashville. I would have liked to see him as an assistant here and coaching the PP.

ecemleafs is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 02:49 PM
  #887
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,511
vCash: 500
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2013/0...nference-call/

Blueshirt Believer is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 02:50 PM
  #888
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,661
vCash: 500
What on earth has some of you believing that Tippett will be a great coach here?

chosen is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 02:51 PM
  #889
Greg02
Registered User
 
Greg02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
What on earth has some of you believing that Tippett will be a great coach here?
Success doesn't always translate, of course, but he's done a great job in the desert.

Greg02 is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 02:51 PM
  #890
ecemleafs
Registered User
 
ecemleafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 10,409
vCash: 500
Tibbet seems to excel at using a system to make his goalies look better than they are. That is not what we need with Henke in net.

ecemleafs is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 02:51 PM
  #891
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
13 years is too long I agree, but what has Sather done LATELY that people didn't like? don't say Richards unless u didn't like it AT THE TIME
I don't like the fact that this team underwent so much turnover after an ECF appearance. And with so much roster change, Sather still failed to address issues that hurt us in the playoffs that year: lack of depth, a brutal 4th line that routinely gets outplayed by other team's 4th line, etc.

OverTheCap is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 02:52 PM
  #892
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
What on earth has some of you believing that Tippett will be a great coach here?
I dont think anyone will be a great hire here at this point.

But out of all the names listed, I think Tippett is probably the best.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 02:52 PM
  #893
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,141
vCash: 500
Eakins is interviewing with VAN.

Barbara Underhill is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 02:53 PM
  #894
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
Aside from Richards (which I was on the fence about) everything he has done over he last 4/5Y had more +'s than -'s.
very much disagree. far more negative than positive.

Clowe played in what 15 games and cost them a 2nd round pick? (another 2nd if they resign him)

Nash trade killed all the depth they had on offense.

Gaborik trade reeked of desperation. If they wanted to move gaborik for financial reasons, they should have done it before the season started when he was coming off a 40 goal season and had a much larger trade value.

Only reason he hasent had more idiotic signings in the past 4/5 years is because they have been right up to the cap and not much room to make them.

slipknottin is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 02:53 PM
  #895
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,711
vCash: 500
While on the topic of Eakins, what about Rob Zettler? He has the Syracuse Crunch pretty far in the playoffs. Their D and O stats are similar to the Marlies, although the Crunch scored the most goals in the AHL last year. Does his name come up for NHL jobs?

Tawnos is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 02:53 PM
  #896
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I don't like the fact that this team underwent so much turnover after an ECF appearance. And with so much roster change, Sather still failed to address issues that hurt us in the playoffs that year: lack of depth, a brutal 4th line that routinely gets outplayed by other team's 4th line, etc.
Bingo. In certain ways, this kind of stuff is more egregious than the terrible signings. I guess he was too busy patting himself on the back after the Nash trade to realize he didnt have a team anymore.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 02:55 PM
  #897
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I don't like the fact that this team underwent so much turnover after an ECF appearance. And with so much roster change, Sather still failed to address issues that hurt us in the playoffs that year: lack of depth, a brutal 4th line that routinely gets outplayed by other team's 4th line, etc.
Those are fair points ... HOWEVER I think I have seen more good than bad the last few years.

GregSirico is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 02:55 PM
  #898
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Whens the last time the Rangers had a Torey Krug-like breakout? The drafting and, specifically, the roster management have been horrid for years now. But yea, thats the coaches fault. All 5 of them, including Sather himself once.

Step came in like gang busters early on, so did MDZ. Kreider too last year.

Krug's performance is not proof of anything. In 1996, second rounder Dan Goneau was huge in his first games, then turned into a career minor leaguer. A year later, Vorobiev did the same thing.

And our drafting has not been "horrid", it has been better than 90% of the teams.

Beacon is online now  
Old
05-29-2013, 02:55 PM
  #899
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I don't like the fact that this team underwent so much turnover after an ECF appearance. And with so much roster change, Sather still failed to address issues that hurt us in the playoffs that year: lack of depth, a brutal 4th line that routinely gets outplayed by other team's 4th line, etc.
I agree here, but while Sather failed to address the roster issues that hurt us in the playoffs, Tortorella ALSO failed to address the systems issues that were a problem then too.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 02:56 PM
  #900
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beacon View Post
step came in like gang busters early on, so did mdz. Kreider too last year.

Krug's performance is not proof of anything. In 1996, second rounder dan goneau was huge in his first games, then turned into a career minor leaguer. A year later, vorobiev did the same thing.

and our drafting has not been "horrid", it has been better than 90% of the teams.
bingo!

GregSirico is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.