HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Tortorella Has Been Fired and the subsequent coaching search

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2013, 03:18 PM
Blueshirt Believer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
I like her as well, she's just trying to create something out of nothing because she needs re-tweets and stuff to feed her cats.

I don't think AV fits New York at all not the team, the city.

It will probably be Ruff because you know, old guys rule.

If it is Messier I will be severely disappointed in this franchise.

I'd rather a younger guy but I've said that multiple times now.
But its not going to happen. Messier's "coaching experience" is coaching team canada twice in european tournaments. The guy has no interest in coaching.

Old
05-29-2013, 03:19 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtenbach25 View Post
Hope Mike Haviland gets an interview. Won championships as a HC at numerous minor league levels, won a cup with Chicago as an AC. Friend of mine from Leonardo. No more retreads, give someone younger a shot.
Interesting I remember Haviland as a player at Elmira College. He played a little bit in the minors.

Old
05-29-2013, 03:21 PM
Blueshirt Believer

I will say that Sather declaring June as the deadline for finding coach means that they are looking at every possible option.

There could be scenario that Babcock could get released if Detroit can't sign him to an extension and expresses an interest to be let go. Pipe dream, I know, but works in the time frame.

Old
05-29-2013, 03:22 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
But its not going to happen. Messier's "coaching experience" is coaching team canada twice in european tournament. The guy has no interest in coaching.
IDK I think Messier will do anything if he thinks he is going into "saviour" mode, which is also why I don't think it will actually happen considering the coaching market is actually fairly saturated right now.

I love Mess obviously, but dislike big time players as coaches. When it comes naturally to you and you understand it without the X's and O's it's hard to explain it to people that don't. That's why I think Gretzky was such a lousy coach.

Old
05-29-2013, 03:23 PM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
Quote:
I will say that Sather declaring June as the deadline for finding coach means that they are looking at every possible option.

There could be scenario that Babcock could get released if Detroit can't sign him to an extension and expresses an interest to be let go. Pipe dream, I know, but works in the time frame.
Would cry tears of joy.

DM23BK30

Sather should trade all his young guys and future firsts for nothing but veterans. Preferably Penguins and Kings.

Because drafting is obviously "horrid"

Yeah. Or just fire Sather, bring back Neil Smith, trade everybody for guys on the Kings, and then enjoy the one Cup and subsequent free fall.

Brilliant!

Old
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Cross him off then.
LOL!

This guy here is dead!

Old
beastly115

Just saw this thread. Sorry Torts but you wore out your welcome. My only regret is that the roster was blown up to bring in "his" guys and now he's gone.

Old
05-29-2013, 03:26 PM
pld459666

Quote:
IDK I think Messier will do anything if he thinks he is going into "saviour" mode, which is also why I don't think it will actually happen considering the coaching market is actually fairly saturated right now.

I love Mess obviously, but dislike big time players as coaches. When it comes naturally to you and you understand it without the X's and O's it's hard to explain it to people that don't. That's why I think Gretzky was such a lousy coach.
This. To guys like Mess the game is innate. They don't have to think about it. They can just go ahead and play. Its the pluggers that makefor better coaches .

Old
Richter Scale

Quote:
I know you're saying it is a long shot... but I don't even know what you base this on.

Babcock's contract goes through 14-15. What do you mean by can't sign him to an extension? They don't have to in order to keep him. Am I missing something? Would this be a pre-emptive, you aren't staying in 2 years, so we fire you now, kind of thing you're proposing? I don't follow.

Not to mention he has arguably done the best job one could expect him to do with the team he has. No way he leaves Detroit.

Old
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:

Its not going to happen. This is a team that is trying to contend. So, your going to put a novice coach(who doesn't even have minor league experience) into the driver's seat?

Its not happening...

Old
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Sather should trade all his young guys and future firsts for nothing but veterans. Preferably Penguins and Kings.

Because drafting is obviously "horrid"

Yeah. Or just fire Sather, bring back Neil Smith, trade everybody for guys on the Kings, and then enjoy the one Cup and subsequent free fall.

Brilliant!
I dont see a point here. Pretty sure there isn't one.

If you think the drafting has been so good, care to explain how the Rangers have ended up with zero elite homegrown players and very few homegrown depth players in 13(!!!!!!) years and counting?

Old
05-29-2013, 03:27 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

woohoo. finally.

i am no longer the president of the fire torts club. im retired !!!

heres to hoping they find someone who will play the kids and open things up a bit.

sign me some euro softy trash immediately !!!!

oh, and trade mcilrath on draft day and move up..... PLEASE

Old
05-29-2013, 03:28 PM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I dont see a point here. Pretty sure there isn't one.

If you think the drafting has been so good, care to explain how the Rangers have ended up with zero elite homegrown players and very few homegrown depth players in 13(!!!!!!) years and counting?
Henrik Lundqvist.

Yes, he counts.

Not to defend Sather. But Lundqvist is an elite player that was drafted by this team.

Old
DM23BK30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Surprised Gretzky hasn't been mentioned yet. Is he still part of ownership in Phoenix?
Gretzky sucked as a coach and his players hated him right after they got his autograph

Old
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Eakins Eakins Eakins Eakins

Old
05-29-2013, 03:29 PM
slipknottin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Injury prone? Nope.

He had a shoulder injury in SJ. No significant injuries other than that the last 4 seasons.

75+ games last 3 years. Shoulder was only concern and showed zero ileffects after trade.

Concussion knocked him not. Not nagging injuries.
Only a matter of time with a 30 year old who uses his head as a punching board.

Bigger issue is total inability of the rangers to draft anyone who is 6'2 220+ and plays that kind of physical high traffic game.

Old
Lundsanity30

strang isn't the only one to bring up Messier..

Old
NYRANGERAMI*

Thanks for your time here Torts and good luck moving forward.

Old
Kershaw

I would not be shocked to see Messier get an assistant coaching job. But Head Coach would be pretty bad.

Old
05-29-2013, 03:30 PM
rangers1314

Quote:
Originally Posted by singnbluesonbroadway View Post
cross him off then.
this guy here is dead!

Old
05-29-2013, 03:31 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Can we trade back for dubi/anismov and gaborik?

But seriously, Trade back for anisimov

Old
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter Scale View Post
I know you're saying it is a long shot... but I don't even know what you base this on.

Babcock's contract goes through 14-15. What do you mean by can't sign him to an extension? They don't have to in order to keep him. Am I missing something? Would this be a pre-emptive, you aren't staying in 2 years, so we fire you now, kind of thing you're proposing? I don't follow.

Not to mention he has arguably done the best job one could expect him to do with the team he has. No way he leaves Detroit.
Its a reach for sure. But Babcock has said before he wasn't sure if he wanted to stay in Detroit. The organization is in a transitional mode. They are getting older, not younger. Already have started to groom a potential replacement with Renney.

I would think that if Babcock, considering what he has done for the Wings, wanted to be released; they would abide by it.

Babcock certainly knows he would make a crap load of money(more than he would with Detroit)if he got the Rangers job.

Old
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Which one of them scored 4 goals in their first 5 playoff games and was arguably the MVP of a playoff series?
Again, Kreider. Similar comparison. Kreider didn't do **** this year. Lets see how he does in his first full professional season before people start declaring him the next Bobby Orr after 1 5 game series.

Holocene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
I don't think Tortorella was a dumb man. Yes, highly abrasive and impersonable, but not dumb. He knew the limitations of the roster, seeing them everyday. I think there was a logical reason why he implemented that collapsing style of defense and stressed puck possession deep.
It made sense in 11-12. This year we had a different team and he was too stubborn to adapt.

Closed Thread