HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Louis Leblanc?

Old
05-29-2013, 11:39 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
For sure he would need to get bigger, stronger and faster. No one denies that. That doesnt = a bust though, like some have been proposing

He really needs to get quicker and sturdyer IMO. He's strong and fast at the moment, but he's not sturdy like other good board guys and he's not super quick in close.
Since Leblanc was drafted there's been some hate towards him around here, never understood it but then again we seem to have people that actually think that the Habs would waste a 1st round draft pick on picking someone just because of where they were born. I wouldn't say he's strong and fast at the moment, he's more average in those areas imo and I can see why others are expressing doubts about him since he just had such a poor season and really looked out of sorts which is concerning for sure. I expect him to bounce back next year but still hard to understand just what went so wrong with him.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:00 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Since Leblanc was drafted there's been some hate towards him around here, never understood it but then again we seem to have people that actually think that the Habs would waste a 1st round draft pick on picking someone just because of where they were born. I wouldn't say he's strong and fast at the moment, he's more average in those areas imo and I can see why others are expressing doubts about him since he just had such a poor season and really looked out of sorts which is concerning for sure. I expect him to bounce back next year but still hard to understand just what went so wrong with him.
The 3 legit potential causes I see that derailed his season...may be a combination or just one...

1-I think after finishing the year NHL and playing 40+ games, he wasn't quite as motivated to suit up with hamilton again this year or he thought it would be easier after his NHL stint.

2-the ankle injury, high ankle sprains are terrible for hockey players, it slowed Crosby down a lot the year he had it

3-he may have clashed with the new leadership in Hamilton, also not having a lot of veteran skill didn't help(Geoffrion hurt and Palushaj in Colorado).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 12:58 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
When I say lack of physical abilities I mean skating, strength, speed, etc... so he clearly needs improvement as he's got to fill out more, get stronger and quicker imo. As I've said he's smart and hard working, he is usually at his best along the wall and in the corners but if he can improve in these areas it should help him a great deal in the NHL. He will take the body but it's not something he's very effective at imo.

Well he was a bean poll when he was drafted, and now that he's filled out some, it's good for him but imo he needs to add more strength and get quicker.
Agree in that sense, I believe he had offseason surgery on back to back years after he was drafted so that must of have hurt his offseason training. I remeber reading that last year Erik Cole took him under his wing in the offseason and trained with him, I hopeful another offseason where he can work out instead of rehap should help him out.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 01:02 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Ben Maxwell 2.0; So easy to see. He's avoiding contact at all cost now, all that while being a !quick and clever" player.

We have to move away from this kind of players at the draft.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 01:13 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Ben Maxwell 2.0; So easy to see. He's avoiding contact at all cost now, all that while being a !quick and clever" player.

I'll amit I didn't see much of him this yaer, but from watching him at the WJHC, in junior and NHL he's never been an "avoid contact" type player. In fast his physical game and corner work were assets for him.

Old
05-29-2013, 01:44 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I'll amit I didn't see much of him this yaer, but from watching him at the WJHC, in junior and NHL he's never been an "avoid contact" type player. In fast his physical game and corner work were assets for him.
After his injury at the beginning of the year he never went back along the boards anymore. He's cheating more than he ever did in his career in puck races, and he's easily outmuscled by the opponent 99% of times.

It's sad to see... and reminescent of Maxwell.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 01:52 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
After his injury at the beginning of the year he never went back along the boards anymore. He's cheating more than he ever did in his career in puck races, and he's easily outmuscled by the opponent 99% of times.

Again, I haven't seen him play this year, but based on what I saw the last 5 years I'm not concerned about his physical game/corner work. He needs to keep improving his skating, add weight(played at 190lbs this year) and show up with a good attitude in September.

Old
05-29-2013, 01:53 PM
Uber Coca

Leblanc looked like an NHL player that needed to bulk up during his NHL tenure two seasons ago. He looked bad in Hamilton but I won't throw the towel on him just yet. His potential is still high.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 03:27 PM
Habstract

Im not worried yet for Leblanc. I am sure he will play for the habs next season or in 2 seasons. The Bulldogs were awful as a whole last year, I don't think we can judge him on his numbers...

Habstract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 03:40 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yantropov View Post
Im not worried yet for Leblanc. I am sure he will play for the habs next season or in 2 seasons. The Bulldogs were awful as a whole last year, I don't think we can judge him on his numbers...
I see him as the main call-up for next year. Or, he makes the team out of training camp. But that's just my ultra-positive outlook on things.

No idea why he's being forced into a 3rd line role in Hamilton. He has top-6 upside, give him the minutes and experience he needs to develop as a hockey player, not just as the hockey player our AHL coach sees him becoming. Really disappointed in the way things were handled in Hamilton this year. If he gets top line, defensive minutes in the AHL, I'm sure he'll do fine with 3rd line minutes in the NHL. He's already done it!

IMO, this isn't how you develop players. Especially not 1st round picks.

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 04:30 PM
attachetatuque
un gros bonhomme!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
He's not soft, he gets injured a lot because he plays a hard game for his frame. He's no gummy bear, sadly.

By soft I meant his frame and bones are fragile, sorry for the confusion. I've played against him in minor hockey, probably the hardest worker I've ever encountered on the ice, even though he was above everyone else's talent level, definitely not a soft player.. His only problem was that he breaks bones. When was the last time you heard of a broken femur in hockey?

attachetatuque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 04:42 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by daGreenGiant View Post
By soft I meant his frame and bones are fragile, sorry for the confusion. I've played against him in minor hockey, probably the hardest worker I've ever encountered on the ice, even though he was above everyone else's talent level, definitely not a soft player.. His only problem was that he breaks bones. When was the last time you heard of a broken femur in hockey?
Kurtis Foster, I think.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 04:48 PM
Iron Throne
Thats not sarcasm

Louis looked decent his time up here. There was something there ..but now we have to see if this unfortunate season derails him or he shows character and fights his way back

Iron Throne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 05:04 PM
Pricenyuk
Montreal961

"Quick! One bad season on a horrible team! Banish him!!"

Disappointing to see so many hab fans thinking this way about our players.

Pricenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 06:34 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal961 View Post

I agree, HF Boards is all about crowing the "next great big thing" and anybody having an off yaer needs to be moved and is useless. Common sense is left at the door!

Old
05-29-2013, 07:58 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

clock is running. but i'm always gonna give a guy another year.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 08:23 PM
Et le But

Quote:

He wasn't this bad until the last year though, I'd like to see him start the year with a healthy run before I'd conclude anything about him.

He's probably not anything special, either in grit or skill...but it's not unheard of for guys to bounce back from that sort of fear.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 11:17 PM
Pricenyuk
Montreal961

Quote:
I agree, HF Boards is all about crowing the "next great big thing" and anybody having an off yaer needs to be moved and is useless. Common sense is left at the door!
I'm afraid of the day when Galchenyuk or Gallagher have a rough season...

Old
05-30-2013, 08:14 AM
otto bond

Louis Leblanc needs to rest his body and mind. Go sit under the sun for a couple of weeks, eat junk, drink beer and come back with a good headacke.
Start a good training and work on the little things. He's got good potential and I can see him boucing back. Stay healthy while training and puttingt good mass on his body should help him. I believe it's clear that his spot is on the RW and he will morelikely be in Hamilton next year. He must accept his faith and go work hard.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 08:23 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
I'm afraid of the day when Galchenyuk or Gallagher have a rough season...
Pacioretty went from hero to zero in a flash, shouldn't be much longer for those two.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 08:53 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
The 3 legit potential causes I see that derailed his season...may be a combination or just one...

1-I think after finishing the year NHL and playing 40+ games, he wasn't quite as motivated to suit up with hamilton again this year or he thought it would be easier after his NHL stint.

2-the ankle injury, high ankle sprains are terrible for hockey players, it slowed Crosby down a lot the year he had it

3-he may have clashed with the new leadership in Hamilton, also not having a lot of veteran skill didn't help(Geoffrion hurt and Palushaj in Colorado).
1- Could be as he didn't look very motivated much of the time which was surprising to me to watch.

2- agreed, although having watched most games you could see later in the season he was moving much better. That said hopefully this is a big part of what went wrong for him and now that he has the summer to work on things he bounces back in a big way next year.

3- yes that was reported that the coaching staff was being tough on Leblanc and perhaps it impacted him, which would be a little concerning as one would hope that he was mentally tougher but I never heard how true it was. Not having skilled vets hurt the team for sure but for me it was the way he played that was most troubling as he just looked so bad and the effort wasn't always where it should have been imo. But whatever the reason for the struggles hopefully for the Habs and Leblanc he can get back on track next year and just use this as a learning experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Agree in that sense, I believe he had offseason surgery on back to back years after he was drafted so that must of have hurt his offseason training. I remeber reading that last year Erik Cole took him under his wing in the offseason and trained with him, I hopeful another offseason where he can work out instead of rehap should help him out.
He did two summers ago with the shoulder injury which impacted his training plus he missed the start of the season. This year he ends up getting injured just a couple games into this season which had to be tough after working hard all summer. This off-season should be a big one for him though since next season is his last to be able to clear waivers.

Quote:

I wouldn't say Leblanc played like Maxwell, as he would go to the net and the prime areas with the puck. But the effort wasn't there consistently and he struggled to create much offensively. Leblanc had a terrible year but I wouldn't compare him to Maxwell, even if they end up having similar results to their careers I still wouldn't compare them as I don't think Leblanc is soft. Not saying he's a physical player but he's not in the same mold as Maxwell imo.

Quote:

I can't say I recall him cheating, outmuscled yes and it was sad to see as he really struggled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yantropov View Post
the Dogs were awful since they had the worst offense and PP in the AHL, it was a nightly struggle to produce offense which is going to impact stats, but as someone that watches almost every Hamilton game I don't judge players on numbers as i'm not a fan of stats and prefer to just go with what I see year after year. For me I am very worried since he looked so bad after playing so well in his first year with the Dogs. But I also think he has enough abilities that he can bounce back and end up a solid NHLer in time, will be very interesting to see how he responds next year at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
I see him as the main call-up for next year. Or, he makes the team out of training camp. But that's just my ultra-positive outlook on things.

No idea why he's being forced into a 3rd line role in Hamilton. He has top-6 upside, give him the minutes and experience he needs to develop as a hockey player, not just as the hockey player our AHL coach sees him becoming. Really disappointed in the way things were handled in Hamilton this year. If he gets top line, defensive minutes in the AHL, I'm sure he'll do fine with 3rd line minutes in the NHL. He's already done it!

IMO, this isn't how you develop players. Especially not 1st round picks.
If he turns it around i'm sure he could get the call next year but we'll see how it goes for him. But Leblanc did get top line minutes in Hamilton, not consistently as he was on the 3rd line at times which was hard to understand. That said he was moved up when Dumont got recalled as he at times would play with Tenute but struggled to produce. I could see him ending up as a future 3rd liner in the NHL, as his defensive play could make him a good fit there if he can get everything going again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Throne View Post
Louis looked decent his time up here. There was something there ..but now we have to see if this unfortunate season derails him or he shows character and fights his way back
agreed, next season will be very telling for him.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 02:20 PM
Pricenyuk
Montreal961

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Pacioretty went from hero to zero in a flash, shouldn't be much longer for those two.
The day when somebody suggests we trade Galchenyuk after one bad season, is the day i will no longer want to talk hockey with other people...

Old
05-31-2013, 12:01 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
The day when somebody suggests we trade Galchenyuk after one bad season, is the day i will no longer want to talk hockey with other people...
Did you quit discussing hockey over the many years people bashed Koivu because he contributed to a "culture of losing"?

Did you quit discussing hockey earlier this year when people wanted Subban traded because he was rejecting a 2.25 million dollar contract offer?

Did you quit discussing hockey when posters on this forum wanted Carey Price traded for Brayden Holtby?

Will you quit discussing hockey now that posters on this forum want Andrei Markov traded because they think he is a has-been?

Last edited by DAChampion: 05-31-2013 at 12:17 AM.
DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 06:37 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:

I've disliked the Leblanc pick since it was apparent we'd be selecting him. That entire draft I held my breath hoping someone would take him so we wouldn't. Just the cap to a very disappointing centennial season.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 06:39 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I've disliked the Leblanc pick since it was apparent we'd be selecting him. That entire draft I held my breath hoping someone would take him so we wouldn't. Just the cap to a very disappointing centennial season.
Why? He actually slipped to Montreal...

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote