HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 9.0

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2013, 05:45 PM
LeHabsMan

vCash: 500
I am really hoping that one of Hartman or Morrissey drops to our 1st rounder. Petan, McCoshen, Santini, Heatherington, De La Rose and Klimchuk would be incredible with the 34th and 36th.

I am really against Morin. If he was 2-3 inches smaller would he be getting all this attention? It's all for the size. Not worth it. Isnt't BPA IMO. People look at his size and say he can be the next Chara. What are the chances of that? No very high. Alright puck mover, not really mean and isnt better than McCoshen, Hagg, Santini or Heatherington. I would put him in the same category as Bowey, Theodore and Bigras.

i dont understand why Laplante should be a 3rd rounder. I havent seen him in the top 100 on any mocks. Is it just the Quebec factor?

Old
05-29-2013, 06:02 PM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post
i dont understand why Laplante should be a 3rd rounder. I havent seen him in the top 100 on any mocks. Is it just the Quebec factor?
He's ranked #70 in the THN Draft Preview FWIW.

Old
05-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I am really hoping that one of Hartman or Morrissey drops to our 1st rounder. Petan, McCoshen, Santini, Heatherington, De La Rose and Klimchuk would be incredible with the 34th and 36th.

I am really against Morin. If he was 2-3 inches smaller would he be getting all this attention? It's all for the size. Not worth it. Isnt't BPA IMO. People look at his size and say he can be the next Chara. What are the chances of that? No very high. Alright puck mover, not really mean and isnt better than McCoshen, Hagg, Santini or Heatherington. I would put him in the same category as Bowey, Theodore and Bigras.

I personnally don't see the Santini bandwagon for our first 2 picks. Geez, even Morin, who I don't exactly believe will be a key offensive player in the bigs has shown more offensively than Santini did. I do understand that it's all about projecting....but you need some kind of results already. I do love his skating and his defensive play though. So wouldn't be totally against this pick but I don't see how he's becoming on any list as of right now, he's a pretty unspectacular pick. The way we keep reading reports about him makes me believe you could find those types of guys a little later. Mind you, if he finds an offensive game, well that's a whole different ballgame.

Surely though, he fits the Timmins mold, that's for sure.

As far as Laplante is concerned, well we don't have a 4th or a 5th, so some players we probably would have taken there, we need to take earlier if we loved them that much. Note that he hasn't played that much, yet contributed a whole lot when he was there. So somehow, he might be under the radar for some....but shouldn't be for us.

And 50th amongst North American should make the top 100 on any mock.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 05-29-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old
05-29-2013, 06:04 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
Of all the players that we could reasonably expect to be available at 24/25 or whom we could contemplate moving up for, Morin stands out. His play at the U18s was an eye opener. His combination of size, mobility and ice presence makes him a player that projects very well as an NHLer. I suspect that I am not the only one who believes in this player's immense potential. It would not surprise me that he goes in the first 15 picks. There are a lot of quality defencemen available in this draft, some overated (Nurse , Morrissey, Pulock, Zadorov and Hagg ) and some underrated ( Bowey and Heatherington). In my assessment, among available defenceman, Morin has the best potential after Jones and Ristolainen. As I previously posted, there are only two players that I would consider moving up for: Morin and Lazar. Both should go between 10 and 15 and could be obtained without paying a king's ransom. To select Morin, I would gladly give up our first along with one of our seconds and one of our thirds. Would that be enough to move up 6 or 8 spots? I don't know. Maybe, Morin will fall to us. We could get lucky. But then again, I have long since given up believing in the tooth fairy.
Thanks for your input. I'll watch the semi-final vs finland again tonight to get a better look at him. I saw his highlights from the U18, and you're right, he looked very impressive.

Cheers.

Old
05-29-2013, 06:05 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I personnally don't see the Santini bandwagon for our first 3 picks. Geez, even Morin, who I don't exactly believe will be a key offensive player in the bigs has shown more offensively than Santini did. I do understand that it's all about projecting....but you need some kind of results already. I do love his skating and his defensive play though. So wouldn't be totally against this pick but I don't see how he's becoming on any list as of right now, he's a pretty unspectacular pick. The way we keep reading reports about him makes me believe you could find those types of guys a little later. Mind you, if he finds an offensive game, well that's a whole different ballgame.

As far as Laplante is concerned, well we don't have a 4th or a 5th, so some players we probably would have taken there, we need to take earlier if we loved them that much. Note that he hasn't played that much, yet contributed a whole lot when he was there. So somehow, he might be under the radar for some....but shouldn't be for us.

Whitesnake, you seem to have a good grasp on players. Do you have a take on McCoshen? I've been asking around but I can't find anyone who does, anything would be greatly appreciated.

Old
05-29-2013, 06:08 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Morin isn't just about size, he has a lot of tools comparable to smaller guys, obviously being 6'7" and mobile/skilled is a huge bonus that will probably get him drafted top 15. He's similar to Oleksiak but more offensive upside.

Laplante dropped after most had him top 100 in the off season because of August shoulder surgery.

He had a decent finish to the season, very strong playoffs and strong U18, so on most lists he jumped from 4th or 5th round to mid 2nd to mid 3rd.

Old
05-29-2013, 06:21 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherKing View Post
Mock drafts.

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2013/

50th in North American skaters but for some reason ahead of guys like Thompson, Subban, Duclair, Geersten and Baptiste. Add in about 15 European and maybe 10 goalies and hes at about 80 so maybe I was exagerating. I still would't be overly excited with him as a pick.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospect...year=2013&pg=2

Old
05-29-2013, 06:29 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherKing View Post
Their magazine was out before the U18, his stock is up a fair bit from then.

Old
05-29-2013, 06:30 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
Do you have a take on McCoshen? I've been asking around but I can't find anyone who does, anything would be greatly appreciated.
The USHL is a league that is not on TV, the teams are usually based in smaller towns so NHL fans here at HF don't attend the games and it's almost impossible to find video clips on the web, which is why there's sort of a dearth of info on McCoshen.

Old
05-29-2013, 06:33 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
I personnally don't see the Santini bandwagon for our first 3 picks. Geez, even Morin, who I don't exactly believe will be a key offensive player in the bigs has shown more offensively than Santini did. I do understand that it's all about projecting....but you need some kind of results already. I do love his skating and his defensive play though. So wouldn't be totally against this pick but I don't see how he's becoming on any list as of right now, he's a pretty unspectacular pick. The way we keep reading reports about him makes me believe you could find those types of guys a little later. Mind you, if he finds an offensive game, well that's a whole different ballgame.

Santini will be an absolute beast defensively. At least i think so. Super solid and seems like a great leader. His offensive game will hopefully develop a bit.

McCoshen I am in love with for some reason.

I was exagerating with Laplante but he better be a late 3rd rounder. Doesnt seem to have very much potential. Less than a point per game, not big and doesnt play a very physical game. i would prefer other guys ranked around that range like Baptiste, Slepyshev, Fasching, Hayden and Sanford. Maybe its just me.

Old
05-29-2013, 06:37 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Santini will be an absolute beast defensively. At least i think so. Super solid and seems like a great leader. His offensive game will hopefully develop a bit.

McCoshen I am in love with for some reason.

I was exagerating with Laplante but he better be a late 3rd rounder. Doesnt seem to have very much potential. Less than a point per game, not big and doesnt play a very physical game. i would prefer other guys ranked around that range like Baptiste, Slepyshev, Fasching, Hayden and Sanford. Maybe its just me.
Laplante has solid offensive potential...could be a 50 point 2nd liner. He's 6' and still filling out his frame, he does play a gritty/physical/in your face type game with high energy. I would compare him to Burrows of Vancouver in terms of size/skill/offensive potential.

Old
05-29-2013, 06:39 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Morin isn't just about size, he has a lot of tools comparable to smaller guys, obviously being 6'7" and mobile/skilled is a huge bonus that will probably get him drafted top 15. He's similar to Oleksiak but more offensive upside.

Laplante dropped after most had him top 100 in the off season because of August shoulder surgery.

He had a decent finish to the season, very strong playoffs and strong U18, so on most lists he jumped from 4th or 5th round to mid 2nd to mid 3rd.
He will go extremely high just like oleksiak. But will he really be better than guys drafted after him? Will he really be better than Beaulieu, Klefbom, Jenner and Saad? Or did his size help him rise?

Old
05-29-2013, 06:43 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Laplante has solid offensive potential...could be a 50 point 2nd liner. He's 6' and still filling out his frame, he does play a gritty/physical/in your face type game with high energy. I would compare him to Burrows of Vancouver in terms of size/skill/offensive potential.
I really doubt the offensive potential is 50 points. Some teams would be happy with their 1st high 2nds being 50 point players. Gauthier, Wennberg, Burakovsky... will probably be 50 point players and Laplante is in that group?

i agree on the "in your face" game but not overly physical. Maybe he can have a career year at 50 points but will probably be a 3rd liner if all goes well.

Old
05-29-2013, 07:01 PM
Gunners CH

Nice story from the combine blog on Price practicing with Eric Comrie and Tri-City during the lockout.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=18044

Old
05-29-2013, 07:03 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

I think one guy we don't talk about a lot is Brenden Kichton. Ready for the pros and drafted by the Isles but refused to sign and re-entering the draft. Pure offensive Dman with considerable upside. Gotta wonder who he would sign for and why? Chance for callup, quality of organization or location?

Old
05-29-2013, 07:16 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
I think one guy we don't talk about a lot is Brenden Kichton. Ready for the pros and drafted by the Isles but refused to sign and re-entering the draft. Pure offensive Dman with considerable upside. Gotta wonder who he would sign for and why? Chance for callup, quality of organization or location?
Why did he refuse to sign ?

Old
05-29-2013, 07:49 PM
Top Corner2

Let's go Red Wings!

Old
05-29-2013, 07:55 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
Whitesnake, you seem to have a good grasp on players. Do you have a take on McCoshen? I've been asking around but I can't find anyone who does, anything would be greatly appreciated.
Saw McCoshen 3 times this year through the net when he was playing in the USHL. I was really impressed. So poised and some great offensive sense. Might have been just those 3 times....but he was dominating the play on both ends. What he did at that age in that league was really great.

Old
05-29-2013, 07:58 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

You can't just ignore Morin's size. Of course his size is a plus.
Reach for one thing. Crease clearing. Guys that size don't usually run into too many people they can't move. The fact that he's mobile and is decent with the puck definitely makes him attractive.

Old
05-29-2013, 08:07 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Wouldn't he be a UFA on June 1st if he doesn't sign being an OA.

Old
05-29-2013, 08:14 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 447
Quote:
Saw McCoshen 3 times this year through the net when he was playing in the USHL. I was really impressed. So poised and some great offensive sense. Might have been just those 3 times....but he was dominating the play on both ends. What he did at that age in that league was really great.
Thank you very much! Although I heard his name before, I only really took a look at him after reading about him in the THN Draft issue. They said he was a defensive D-man and that he had good size, but I found the stat sheet (34 points in 46 games) rather eye popping. Other reports suggested that his offensive game developed a lot more than expected this season. He finished at 44 points in 53 games, so if you say he seems poised with the puck, then I'm sold on this kid without having even seen him. I can't say for sure who I want Montreal to get with the first pick, but I would be very happy with McCoshen.

Old
05-29-2013, 08:28 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Would anyone be mad at McCoshen being selected with our 1st ?

Old
05-29-2013, 08:34 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Would anyone be mad at McCoshen being selected with our 1st ?
No. But if McCarron is our first pick there will be hell to pay

Old
05-29-2013, 08:35 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Mckeen's top30 is out.

A few notes:

Morin at 10 is surprising to say the least. Poirier in the first too. They have Mantha, Erne, Shinkaruk, Gauthier and Ristolainen going by our pick, all guys I'd love to see us drafting. Erne, Shinkaruk and Risto belong in the top15 IMO. No Zykov? Et ben.

1 Seth Jones D 6-3/205 1994-10-03 Portland (WHL) 61-14-42-56
2 Nathan MacKinnon C 6-0/185 1995-09-01 Halifax (QMJHL) 44-32-43-75
3 Jonathan Drouin LW 5-10/185 1995-03-28 Halifax (QMJHL) 49-41-64-105
4 Elias Lindholm C 6-0/190 1994-12-02 Brynas (Swe) 48-11-19-30
5 Aleksander Barkov C 6-3/210 1995-09-02 Tappara (Fin) 53-21-27-48
6 Valeri Nichushkin RW 6-4/200 1995-03-04 Traktor Chelyabinsk (KHL) 18-4-2-6
7 Nikita Zadorov D 6-5/220 1995-04-15 London (OHL) 63-6-19-25
8 Darnell Nurse D 6-3/190 1995-02-04 Sault Ste Marie (OHL) 68-12-29-41
9 Max Domi C 5-9/195 1995-03-02 London (OHL) 64-39-48-87
10 Samuel Morin D 6-6/205 1995-07-12 Rimouski (QMJHL) 46-4-12-16
11 Sean Monahan C 6-2/190 1994-10-12 Ottawa (OHL) 58-31-47-78
12 Curtis Lazar C 6-0/190 1995-02-02 Edmonton (WHL) 72-38-23-61
13 Alexander Wennberg C 6-1/190 1994-09-22 Djurgardens (Swe 2) 46-14-18-32
14 Bo Horvat C 6-0/205 1995-04-05 London (OHL) 67-33-28-61
15 Ryan Pulock D 6-0/210 1994-10-06 Brandon (WHL) 61-14-31-45
16 Andre Burakowsky RW 6-1/180 1995-02-09 Malmo (Swe 2) 28-11-13-24
17 Mirco Mueller D 6-3/185 1995-03-21 Everett (WHL) 63-6-25-31
18 Josh Morrissey D 6-0/185 1995-03-28 Prince Albert (WHL) 70-15-32-47
19 Robert Hagg D 6-2/205 1995-02-08 MoDo (Swe Jr) 28-11-13-24
20 Adam Erne LW 6-0/210 1995-04-20 Quebec (QMJHL) 68-28-44-72
21 Rasmus Ristolainen D 6-3/205 1994-10-27 TPS Turku (Fin) 52-3-12-15
22 Hunter Shinkaruk LW 5-10/180 1994-10-13 Medicine Hat (WHL) 64-37-49-86
23 Frederik Gauthier C 6-4/215 1995-04-26 Rimouski (QMJHL) 62-22-38-60
24 Anthony Mantha RW 6-4/190 1994-09-16 Val d'Or (QMJHL) 67-50-39-89
25 Kerby Rychel LW 6-1/205 1994-10-07 Windsor (OHL) 68-40-47-87
26 Emile Poirier LW 6-1/185 1994-12-14 Gatineau (QMJHL) 65-32-38-70
27 Chris Bigras D 6-0/190 1995-02-22 Owen Sound (OHL) 68-8-30-38
28 Zachary Fucale G 6-1/180 1995-05-28 Halifax (QMJHL) 55-45-5-2.35
29 Ian McCoshen D 6-2/205 1995-08-05 Waterloo (USHL) 53-11-33-44
30 Tommy Vannelli D 6-2/170 1995-01-26 Minnetonka (USHS-MN) 25-8-23-31

Old
05-29-2013, 08:39 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
IIRC he has to go through the draft again. But I'm not 100% sure.

Closed Thread