HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Question from a Pens fan

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2004, 05:02 PM
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin

vCash: 500
Question from a Pens fan

I was at the PIT/NYR game Saturday....just wondering what you guys could tell me about Jed Ortmeyer (sp?).

I knew the name, and that he was a college FA signing...but don't see him listed among the top prospects on the HF boards. What are they expecting from him long term....or is he simply filler at this point until the younger prospects are ready? Thanks

Old
01-04-2004, 05:08 PM
King Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobie82
I was at the PIT/NYR game Saturday....just wondering what you guys could tell me about Jed Ortmeyer (sp?).

I knew the name, and that he was a college FA signing...but don't see him listed among the top prospects on the HF boards. What are they expecting from him long term....or is he simply filler at this point until the younger prospects are ready? Thanks
That is an excellent question. He is what I would call a huge surprise. I don't think anyone thought he would do what he is doing. We wasn't a high pick but he is a hard worker. And I think that hard workers succeed far better than their pick status in the draft.

He is more than a fill in at this point. I think he will definitely remain with the team. He works way too hard to send him down. Let's look at it this way and also something you may be familiar with. Jed Ortmeyer has played half the time Kovalev has played this season with a lot less ice time and is only 4 goals behind him !! So, if you send Ortmeyer down then what does that say about Kovalev who is being paid 4 times what Jed makes?

Old
01-04-2004, 05:19 PM
nyr5186

Ortmeyer is never gonna be a top line player, he just doesnt have the talent for it. But I could really see him having a great career as a role player/defensive forward. He's easily our hardest worker on the ice, and he's our best penalty killer. He blocks shots, works hard in the corners, just does all the little things necessary to help win games. As mentioned in another thread, he's a bigger version of Kris Draper. On a team thats full of guys who came from other organizations and thus are hard to like, Jed is one of the few players you can actually root for and take pride in him wearing the red, white, and blue.

Old
01-04-2004, 05:24 PM
King Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr4life5186
Ortmeyer is never gonna be a top line player, he just doesnt have the talent for it. But I could really see him having a great career as a role player/defensive forward. He's easily our hardest worker on the ice, and he's our best penalty killer. He blocks shots, works hard in the corners, just does all the little things necessary to help win games. As mentioned in another thread, he's a bigger version of Kris Draper. On a team thats full of guys who came from other organizations and thus are hard to like, Jed is one of the few players you can actually root for and take pride in him wearing the red, white, and blue.
Exactly. I Ranger who respects the team he is playing for and understands what is to be a Ranger.

Old
01-04-2004, 05:41 PM
sickboy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Nothing
Exactly. I Ranger who respects the team he is playing for and understands what is to be a Ranger.

while i agree with your assetment on jed! there are a couple others who take pride in the sweater they wear! barnaby,holik and simon come to mind! yeah i'm nitpicking but just pointing that out!

Old
01-04-2004, 07:09 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy35
while i agree with your assetment on jed! there are a couple others who take pride in the sweater they wear! barnaby,holik and simon come to mind! yeah i'm nitpicking but just pointing that out!
I think Leetch and Messier should also be included.

Old
01-05-2004, 03:36 AM
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin

Great....thanks fellas.

Old
01-05-2004, 05:03 AM
Fletch

King...

not for nothing, but while Kovalev hasn't scored many goals, do you think the line of Holik-Rucinsky-Ortmeyer would have as many goals as the holik, etc.? Not sure why many don't realize how much room there is out there on the ice when you have defenses keying on Kovalev, and further, how most of his assists were beautiful passes created from his hard work. Granted I'm a bit disappointed in his goal total, in particular, there's no excuse for his zero PP goals, but considering how that line has played against other top lines, I'm very happy with that (high plus, which is a stat I always hate, but when your defense sucks and you can beat top lines at even strength, that's usually a sign that the forwards are doing something).

Closed Thread