HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

What is Satan value ???

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2004, 02:43 PM
TVanek26*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Satan was never an "elite all star winger." In his prime, he was a defensively responsible winger that could get 25 - 30 goals, maybe a bit more. A very good winger, yes, but not a great one. And, saying he is "a 70 point producer every year" is a bit off when you consider that he hit that level only twice in his career and his unlikely to come close this year.

He's only 29...how the hell is he out of his prime?

And Satan has had 70 point the past 2 years.With his improving play he might come close.

Old
01-02-2004, 02:44 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48

And Satan has had 70 point the past 2 years.With his improving play he might come close.
Nice avatar DB.

Old
01-02-2004, 02:50 PM
babybruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
Alright so let's cut the crap...

what will the Rags offer for Satan??
lundmark + blackburn

why have young players when you can get older!

Old
01-02-2004, 02:56 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Age is not the point. I didn't say Satan was over-the-hill. Age has nothing to do with it. The point is that he is not playing at his best right now.

Either way you slice it, he is nowhere near being the star player that the earlier poster was trying to protray him to be. This is a guy who has typically scored in the 65 - 70 point range, but hasn't even done that regularly. He is a good, not great winger. As for getting 70 points this year, I'll believe that when I see it.

01-02-2004, 04:53 PM
Stastny

Send a message via AIM to Stastny
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBJets
Who will be after Satan and who will they give up???

Well, their souls, of course.

Old
01-03-2004, 06:08 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Age is not the point. I didn't say Satan was over-the-hill. Age has nothing to do with it. The point is that he is not playing at his best right now.

Either way you slice it, he is nowhere near being the star player that the earlier poster was trying to protray him to be. This is a guy who has typically scored in the 65 - 70 point range, but hasn't even done that regularly. He is a good, not great winger. As for getting 70 points this year, I'll believe that when I see it.
Ummm, Satan has broken the 65 point mark 4 out of the last 5 seasons. And in each of those 4 seasons he's set a new personal best with regards to point production.

If that isn't regularly, then I don't know what is.

Personally, I think the Sabres should target a team with a similiarly struggling player and try and work something out in the regard.

A deal with the Canes centering around Satan and O'Neill or a deal with the 'Ning centering around say Richards and Satan could be two very good options as it would place Miro in the same division as a team that he absolutely feasts upon: Washington.

Old
01-03-2004, 06:44 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob
Ummm, Satan has broken the 65 point mark 4 out of the last 5 seasons. And in each of those 4 seasons he's set a new personal best with regards to point production.

If that isn't regularly, then I don't know what is.

Personally, I think the Sabres should target a team with a similiarly struggling player and try and work something out in the regard.

A deal with the Canes centering around Satan and O'Neill or a deal with the 'Ning centering around say Richards and Satan could be two very good options as it would place Miro in the same division as a team that he absolutely feasts upon: Washington.

The above poster said that Satan was a regular 70+ point player which he is not. That was the issue. And, this seasons, he is on pace for less than 50 points. I'll grant that he has hit 60+ on a regular basis though.

Expecting Richards for Satan is fairly unrealistic. Tampa looses big in salary and age.

O'Neil is a different issue.

The bottom line here is that this is a year in which ANY player who has a substantial salary is extremely difficult to move at a fair price. And, in Satan's case, you've got a guy who is not producing much.

I think a 2nd rounder and a prospect would be about all you could expect at this point in the season. But, I also think the O'Neil kind of deal (one underachieving expensive vet for another) is also reasonable.

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 01-03-2004 at 06:47 AM.
Old
01-03-2004, 11:44 AM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:

I think a 2nd rounder and a prospect would be about all you could expect at this point in the season. But, I also think the O'Neil kind of deal (one underachieving expensive vet for another) is also reasonable.

I really doubt that.He's having one bad year and it isn't over,what happens if he scored 40 goals in the last half of the season?There is no way one bad half season drops is stock so much.Iginla is more overpaid and produces about the same.It's not like he's making Jagr money.

Old
01-03-2004, 12:51 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
I suppose that would greatly depend on what kind of prospect you are talking about but from where I sit, I think you greatly underestimate Satan's value. Greatly.

Old
01-03-2004, 01:40 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
I suppose that would greatly depend on what kind of prospect you are talking about but from where I sit, I think you greatly underestimate Satan's value. Greatly.

Why should Satan be any different from any other highly paid player? I simply don't think that any highly paid player is going to fetch fair valur right now - even Peca and Hamrlik on the Islanders.

I think Satan's probable market value is a decent prospect and a pick or two - even if he starts producing.

Old
01-03-2004, 01:43 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I really doubt that.He's having one bad year and it isn't over,what happens if he scored 40 goals in the last half of the season?There is no way one bad half season drops is stock so much.Iginla is more overpaid and produces about the same.It's not like he's making Jagr money.

IN terms of overall game, Satan is not in Iginla's class. And, the fact that Iginla is overpaid means nothing for Satan's market value. Frankly, with the $ situation in the NHL right now, there probably isn't a single player making over 4 million who could return fair value in a deal. Not Satan. Not Peca. Not Iginla. Not any big money guy.

If he scores 40 goals over the second half of the season, that would increase his market value. So what? We're talking about his market value under real world conditions, not what would happen if he suddenly exploded offensively.

Old
01-03-2004, 02:20 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Why should Satan be any different from any other highly paid player? I simply don't think that any highly paid player is going to fetch fair valur right now - even Peca and Hamrlik on the Islanders.
Ok, I see. You could be right. However, I'm not really sure the whole salary thing is as great a concern as you think it.

Certainly, salaries ARE a problem right now but it's not like we're seeing star players on waivers. I think the Pens and their dumb management are more of an exception then the rule as far as salary-dumping star players.

The players likely to take the hit (both as far as future signings and trade value) are the lower echelon guys, IMO. But guys like Hamrlik, I'd acquire them no questions ask and I think most GMs would. It's simply a matter of fitting them in the budget and this will most likely be done by trading some salary in return.

Exceptions might be for those players with humongous contracts. The Jagrs, Holiks, Guerins of this world. But that would be regardless of their talent. It's simply really hard to fit them in a budget. Satan can be fit nicely, same for Hamrlik.

I guess we'll see this trade deadline what direction teams will take but I think salary concerns, which are very real, have been blown out of proportion lately.

Old
01-05-2004, 02:24 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

If you are talking about a salary dump, then I would expect the Sabres to get about what the Yotes got for Amonte a year ago.

But, I also doubt that the Sabres will move Satan in a salary dumping move. If they trade Satan it will be an attempt to change the chemistry of the team and not just to save money.

Old
01-05-2004, 05:37 AM
wasting time

Satan would fetch a mid first round draft pick plus a decent prospect I would figure.

Closed Thread