HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis has his work cut out for him

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-29-2013, 08:10 PM
  #376
WildcatMapleLeafs28
Registered User
 
WildcatMapleLeafs28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Disagree. Pascal Dupuis will be the worst. Hes 34 and just came off a career year. Hes going to be looking to cash in too this contract. He screams "Jason Blake" to me.
This. I couldn't agree more.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 08:27 PM
  #377
notdoneyet
Registered User
 
notdoneyet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Saint John,N.B.
Posts: 1,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smif View Post
Their profit isn't just based on games played, I wouldn't be surprised if up to 50% of their profit came from other things that don't have anything to do with a game being played.
you may be right

my point is each playoff game is worth 3M to any team in the league. Thats as far as I know to be the rule of thumb and the 92M is what they made for profit.

For the big picture they could buy out anybody and while it would cut down on some profit it wouldnt scratch the surfce on the bottom line.

notdoneyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 08:31 PM
  #378
The_Chosen_One
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
Because grabo at 5.5mil is better than ribeiro and Bozak at 5mil is better than weiss right?

Grabo and bozak are the next krejci bergeron.
Talk about hyperbole. We're not going to be signing both, and yes, I'd take Grabovski over both considering he has produced 29 goals, 58pts with mediocre linemates and without being sheltered.

Seeing that Mikhail is not that young, we'll be able to move him his value increases. That can be done by letting him play first line minutes. Instead of being so impatient, why don't we at least get a young, big #1C rather than these aging scrubs? Acquiring any garbage on the FA, at any price, is why we haven't performed well over the years.

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 08:35 PM
  #379
The_Chosen_One
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITM View Post
If Bickell is available...Guy screams bear repellent...
He'd be great to consider as well. Unlike Ribeiro and Weiss, he'd actually play an essential role in the playoffs. We need more winger who is strong on the board and can screen the goalie. That way, we'd have JVR, Kulemin and Bickell/ Clarkson.

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 08:40 PM
  #380
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chosen_One View Post
Talk about hyperbole. We're not going to be signing both, and yes, I'd take Grabovski over both considering he has produced 29 goals, 58pts with mediocre linemates and without being sheltered.
Something to keep in mind is those offensive totals came under coach Wilson's pond hockey no defense system that resulted in the Leafs finishing at the bottom of the league standings however. While individual players prospered statistically when defense wasn't a focus under his system, the team wasn't successful.

New coach, new system and different role and responsibilities and thus results for Grabovski. Stats padding cost the Leafs a big overpaying contract in the process for a player now that didn't and likely won't match that offense under the new system.

__________________
Signature: There is no greater demonstration of Fan patience then to suggest to "Play the Kids " and be willing to accept the consequences of those actions..
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 11:01 PM
  #381
Drakkor
Registered User
 
Drakkor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Something to keep in mind is those offensive totals came under coach Wilson's pond hockey no defense system that resulted in the Leafs finishing at the bottom of the league standings however. While individual players prospered statistically when defense wasn't a focus under his system, the team wasn't successful.

New coach, new system and different role and responsibilities and thus results for Grabovski. Stats padding cost the Leafs a big overpaying contract in the process for a player now that didn't and likely won't match that offense under the new system.
Grabo was placed in that role because Connolly wouldn't play it and wanted a top six role. Welcome to the AHL Mr. Connolly.

This threw a kink in Carlyle's plans and Kadri was moved from fighting for a wing position to Center. Worked out very well for the team.

Grabo was miscast all year but you don't take a rookie center and put him out against the best players on the other team.

Short memories around here.

Drakkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:04 AM
  #382
nuck
Axis of Evil
 
nuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: North Korea
Posts: 5,011
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Something to keep in mind is those offensive totals came under coach Wilson's pond hockey no defense system that resulted in the Leafs finishing at the bottom of the league standings however. While individual players prospered statistically when defense wasn't a focus under his system, the team wasn't successful.

New coach, new system and different role and responsibilities and thus results for Grabovski. Stats padding cost the Leafs a big overpaying contract in the process for a player now that didn't and likely won't match that offense under the new system.
Grabo's road stats were not that far off his career average, and better than Bozak's again. The line matching at home seems to have been the likely culprit because he produced fairly well for Carlyle on the road. The split is just too extreme to ignore, although it does come down to suitability for the role he now has, and the fact that his old role has fallen to Kadri.

24gms
Road Goals: 7
Road Assists: 6
Road Points: 13
Road Plus-Minus -1

Per 80gms 23g 20a 43pts -3 with 2 minutes less ice time than last season, and trading MacArthur's ice time for McClement's so road Grabo still pulls his weight, if not his fat salary. I wonder if the road production is enough to convince another GM that he is still more or less who he was last year. I also wonder how McClement would do as the full time replacement for all Grabo's non pp minutes at center.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:29 AM
  #383
The_Chosen_One
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Something to keep in mind is those offensive totals came under coach Wilson's pond hockey no defense system that resulted in the Leafs finishing at the bottom of the league standings however. While individual players prospered statistically when defense wasn't a focus under his system, the team wasn't successful.

New coach, new system and different role and responsibilities and thus results for Grabovski. Stats padding cost the Leafs a big overpaying contract in the process for a player now that didn't and likely won't match that offense under the new system.
Grabovski was never sheltered, though. Half of his starts were in the defensive zone as well. In contrast, the next Orr, Karlsson spends around 60% of the time in the offensive zone. Even under Wilson, he spend a lot of time against higher competition.

Give Grabovski a role on the top line and he should produce similar numbers to 2010-2011. I'd even argue that he could produce that without Kessel. Nonetheless, he would perform quite well in a top scoring role.

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 08:44 PM
  #384
HockeyFanSince86
The Team People Love
 
HockeyFanSince86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Home of 13 Cups
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,439
vCash: 500
Sign Richards if the rangers buy him out. Buy out grabovski or try to trade him for anything and sign bozak. If Richards isn't bought out try to trade phaneuf for stastny. We are a year or two out from gardiner and Reilly taking the top d spots.

HockeyFanSince86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 09:18 PM
  #385
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~
 
Diatomic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Air Canada Centre
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFanSince86 View Post
Sign Richards if the rangers buy him out. Buy out grabovski or try to trade him for anything and sign bozak. If Richards isn't bought out try to trade phaneuf for stastny. We are a year or two out from gardiner and Reilly taking the top d spots.
I Disagree with alot of things.

- Buyingout Grabovski is bad, if we retain salary we can get a very good return for him.

- Theres a great chance Stastny will not be an Avalanche (more likely if the Avs draft mackinnon), because they will have four #1'c on their roster, decreasing productivity and UFA.

- Sign Phaneuf to an appropriate deal and trade him in a few years when his age catches up with him

- Sign Bozak only if the price is right, or if not signing richards.

Only agree with the gardiner/Rielly post, but I doubt gardiner will be a top 2 D-man he seems like a reliable top 4.

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 12:30 AM
  #386
leafspring*
 
leafspring*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakkor View Post
Grabo was placed in that role because Connolly wouldn't play it and wanted a top six role. Welcome to the AHL Mr. Connolly.

This threw a kink in Carlyle's plans and Kadri was moved from fighting for a wing position to Center. Worked out very well for the team.

Grabo was miscast all year but you don't take a rookie center and put him out against the best players on the other team.

Short memories around here.
Short memory you say and stated Kadri was in line for a wingers job(oh wait fighting for a wing position). Kadri was playing center for Carlyle and there was no doubt about it . Grabo moving to a more offensive system would be best for all involved.

Grabo should be moved, bought out or whatever it takes to remove him from this team. Bozak can move on and we wouldn't be very hard pressed to replace him also.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.