HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 - Canada Roster Discussion (Part V)

Closed Thread

Old
05-28-2013, 10:53 AM
Theokritos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillybean View Post
2002 on NHL sized ice
You might want to check that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillybean View Post
We also don't do that well in World Championships
Recently not, but there are counter examples. Canada has enough talent to field a team that can play on the large ice.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:40 AM
spfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
LOL

When the team is announced and MSL and Thornton and any other (Iginla) are not on the roster i will be back demanding you all change your names to IdontKnowWhatImTalkingAbout1, IdontKnowWhatImTalkingAbout2 ... IdontKnowWhatImTalkingAbout#

and i expect an apology and i expect a video of you guys running around the street naked in the snow...ok maybe not naked..
I don't have Thornton or Iginla on my team.

Martin St Louis is a better skater than most players still, produces offense better than most, has chemistry with Stamkos and isn't a defensive liability.

A guy like Jordan Eberle isn't a better choice. He's an average skater, so if you're one of the people weighing heavily into the fact that it's big ice, Eberle is not a good choice.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:44 AM
spfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
........ he's better defensively than offensively, but you clearly don't watch him. Subban is pretty close to a lock for the team imo.

Canada's blueline depth chart:

Weber
Doughty
Pietrangelo/Subban
Keith
Letang

Girardi
You clearly don't watch Duncan Keith or Dan Girardi then.

Subban goes for big open ice hits instead of playing positionly and sometimes that's costly.

If Subban were better defensively than he is offensively, he'd be better than any d-man in the league and he is not.

He really broke out this year, but this was also a shortended season. The other d-men have been outstanding for atleast a few years.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:07 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by spfan View Post

Subban goes for big open ice hits instead of playing positionly and sometimes that's costly.

If Subban were better defensively than he is offensively, he'd be better than any d-man in the league and he is not.

He really broke out this year, but this was also a shortended season. The other d-men have been outstanding for atleast a few years.
I agree with everything except your first sentence: I like Subban much more than I like Girardi.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:15 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
Steven Stamkos - Sidney Crosby - Martin St. Louis
Taylor Hall - John Tavares - Claude Giroux
Eric Staal - Jonathan Toews - Corey Perry
Mike Richards - Patrice Bergeron - Jamie Benn

Shea Weber - Drew Doughty
Kris Letang - Duncan Keith
Alex Pietrangelo - P.K. Subban

---

I personally think the top nine (except maybe Hall) are almost-locks. The 4th line wingers could really be anybody, that's just who I would throw in to play shutdown. Giroux plays RW as he played RW on the Flyers for two seasons and is familiar in that spot. Benn was a RW in junior and in Dallas his 1st year so he can play RW on the 4th line.
How is Hall not a lock? He's the best Canadian LW in the game. Even if you put him straight up against forwards in general, he's still good enough to make the team.

Old
05-28-2013, 12:24 PM
HoseEmUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
How is Hall not a lock? He's the best Canadian LW in the game. Even if you put him straight up against forwards in general, he's still good enough to make the team.
Ruff's (mis)handling of Hall during the WC might have a negative impact.

Old
05-28-2013, 01:01 PM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Sidney Crosby and the 2006 Olympic Team agree.
OK, let me rephrase. We don't take younger players just for the sake of having younger players. Or at least we shouldn't because that's just plain ridiculous and nonsensical.

Old
05-28-2013, 01:03 PM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by icu View Post
Forwards:

St. Louis Crosby Stamkos
E.Staal Thornton Tavares
Toews Getzlaf Spezza
Ladd Bergeron Giroux
Hall

Defense:

Weber Letang
Doughty Boyle
Keith Seabrook
M.Staal

There's not enough elite left handed defenseman for Canada.

Goalies:

Luongo
Crawford
Brodeur
Sorry bud, but that's an awful team. You're missing quite a few obvious players - the bolded ones should not be there.

Old
05-28-2013, 01:06 PM
CanadienShark

Quote:

Do you know what it means to be a Norris nominee, and potential winner? Obviously you don't watch Subban all that much, since those failed attempts at a big hit are pretty uncommon. But I don't expect you to know, because you've proven that you know nothing more about Subban than the erroneous drivel that you clearly read on HFBoards, which is plain wrong.

Old
05-28-2013, 02:41 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Do you know what it means to be a Norris nominee, and potential winner? Obviously you don't watch Subban all that much, since those failed attempts at a big hit are pretty uncommon. But I don't expect you to know, because you've proven that you know nothing more about Subban than the erroneous drivel that you clearly read on HFBoards, which is plain wrong.
Well said. Especially the bold in response to his obvious question.

The sorta-ish big hit where the Swedish forward put on the brakes and moved the puck up ice for a scoring chance was the only time this season that I've seen that happen to Subban. But for the people who don't watch him, it means he is nothing more than a big hit machine and a PP shot.

Old
05-28-2013, 09:26 PM
spfan

Quote:
He may be a nominee, but he certainly shouldn't win. Ryan Suter easily deserves it.
If Subban's defensive game was better than his offensive game, than he would be better than Chara, Weber, Suter etc.

This was also a shortended season. The other players have proven more.

Subban isn't just a physical player with a big shot, but I think you overate him still.

He takes too many penalties. That's my biggest issue with him. He gets under the skin of the opposition and it works out sometimes, but it also costs his team quite a bit too. If he goes over the top and puts a team like Russia on the PP a lot, Canada is screwed.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:05 PM
CanadienShark

Quote:
He may be a nominee, but he certainly shouldn't win. Ryan Suter easily deserves it.
If Subban's defensive game was better than his offensive game, than he would be better than Chara, Weber, Suter etc.

This was also a shortended season. The other players have proven more.

Subban isn't just a physical player with a big shot, but I think you overate him still.

He takes too many penalties. That's my biggest issue with him. He gets under the skin of the opposition and it works out sometimes, but it also costs his team quite a bit too. If he goes over the top and puts a team like Russia on the PP a lot, Canada is screwed.
Chara took more penalties, both prorated and not, than Subban. Do you have an issue with him? Again, I don't think you watch Subban - you just repeat what you read and hear. If you'd watched him, you'd realize how excellent he is in all facets of the game. I'd argue that he's one of, if not the most complete d-man in the league.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:13 PM
spfan

Quote:
Chara took more penalties, both prorated and not, than Subban. Do you have an issue with him? Again, I don't think you watch Subban - you just repeat what you read and hear. If you'd watched him, you'd realize how excellent he is in all facets of the game. I'd argue that he's one of, if not the most complete d-man in the league.
Chara is also a giant and is of course going to always be physical. I just think Subban goes over the top too much. It can be effective at times, but not always.

Subban is a very good player, I just think there's 7 better Canadian d-men to take.

Old
05-28-2013, 11:22 PM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Chara is also a giant and is of course going to always be physical. I just think Subban goes over the top too much. It can be effective at times, but not always.

Subban is a very good player, I just think there's 7 better Canadian d-men to take.
I'd find it hard to pick 7 d-men in the WORLD over him, but you somehow known 7 Canadian d-men?

Old
05-28-2013, 11:49 PM
spfan

Quote:
I'd find it hard to pick 7 d-men in the WORLD over him, but you somehow known 7 Canadian d-men?
Chara, Weber, Suter, Pietrangelo, Keith, Doughty, Letang, Karlsson, OEL, Girardi, McDonagh, Seabrook

You'll disagree, but it's my opinion. Laugh at mine if you want, but I do the same to yours...

Subban doesn't play HUGE minutes, isn't great defensively and not used on the PK much. There is no argument that it's because they need him for 5 on 5 or on the PP because Markov plays more in every situation than Subban. That's just on his own team. The players I named are far better in my opinion.

This breakout year for Subban came in a shortened season. I'll put more stock into others who have been doing this for atleast a few years.

Old
05-29-2013, 12:04 AM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

After watching the Sharks-Kings game, Dan Boyle needs to be on this team. He is a true leader and big game player.

Old
05-29-2013, 09:33 AM
True Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
After watching the Sharks-Kings game, Dan Boyle needs to be on this team. He is a true leader and big game player.
Carter played well. His speed can't be an issue for anybody. He was one of the best skaters in that game.

Old
05-29-2013, 12:23 PM
hersky77

Quote:
Chara, Weber, Suter, Pietrangelo, Keith, Doughty, Letang, Karlsson, OEL, Girardi, McDonagh, Seabrook

You'll disagree, but it's my opinion. Laugh at mine if you want, but I do the same to yours...

Subban doesn't play HUGE minutes, isn't great defensively and not used on the PK much. There is no argument that it's because they need him for 5 on 5 or on the PP because Markov plays more in every situation than Subban. That's just on his own team. The players I named are far better in my opinion.

This breakout year for Subban came in a shortened season. I'll put more stock into others who have been doing this for atleast a few years.

You obviously haven't seen Subban play, because he is arguably better then all of the defensman I have in bold, plus he interchangeable with Letang and Keith.

And to say he is not great defensively is an incorrect thing to say. His plus minus has gotten better every year since his rookie playoffs. He plays every situation and he rarely makes stupid mistakes anymore. And the only defensman who is better offensively than him right now is karlsson, who is much worse defensively in my opinion than PK.

Old
05-29-2013, 04:10 PM
spfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hersky77 View Post
You obviously haven't seen Subban play, because he is arguably better then all of the defensman I have in bold, plus he interchangeable with Letang and Keith.

And to say he is not great defensively is an incorrect thing to say. His plus minus has gotten better every year since his rookie playoffs. He plays every situation and he rarely makes stupid mistakes anymore. And the only defensman who is better offensively than him right now is karlsson, who is much worse defensively in my opinion than PK.
Subban barely plays on the PK. Markov was used more on ES, PP and PK.

+/- is a very misleading stat. Lidstrom was a -2 two years ago and he was outstanding that year like always. It's a lot about the team you're on for +/-.
Jeff Schultz was a ridiculous +50 in 09/10 and he was far from amazing.

Letang and Karlsson are better offensively than Subban in my opinion.

Old
05-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Art of Sedinery

What are the chances that one of Subban/Letang/Pietrangelo/Doughty in favour a lesser defenceman due to handedness? Assuming Weber is a lock.

RH Defencemen:
Weber
Subban
Letang
Pietrangelo
Doughty
Boyle
Seabrook
Green
Girardi

LH Defencemen:
Keith
Campbell
Phaneuf
Hamhuis
Beauchemin
Staal
Garrison
Bouwmeester
Gorges
Vlasic

Old
05-29-2013, 09:45 PM
simplysincere*

Quote:
Sorry bud, but that's an awful team. You're missing quite a few obvious players - the bolded ones should not be there.
Sorry, but this is a team built on the best players available, not your favourite players - which is what you are eluding to.

You're probably just bitter because I left your beloved Subban and Price off the team.

I know, I know, Habs fan think Subban is the next Orr and Price is almost as good as Roy, unfortunately, reality and logic disagree with you.

But before you reply, do not worry, I will give you my argument beforehand.

Weber, Doughty, Seabrook, Boyle, are all returning vets from the 2010 gold medal winning team, and are all better than Subban defensively, and equally as good offensively with the exception of Seabrook (but, his role is shutdown). Edit: I take that back about Seabrook, he was a boss tonight in Game 7 vs Red Wings, OT series winning goal.

Letang is better offensively than Subban, and has been one of the best offensive defensemen for the last couple of years.

We need some left handed defenseman, hence, Keith and M.Staal, and regardless of what side they shoot, are also both better than Subban defensively.

Whilst I take nothing away from Subban's season this year, and yes he deserves the Norris nomination, he's still not good enough overall to make this team. On any other national team, sure he makes it, but that's just how much depth Canada truly has.

Subban, up until now has had one great season, and what a season it was, but it wasn't a full 82 game season, and the other 7 defensemen I've mentioned have all been consistent for multiple years now.

------

Price is not better than any of the three goaltenders I just mentioned, nor has he proven anything compared to the three I mentioned.

Luongo won the Gold medal in 2010, so he deserves to be on this team, and his play is still elite enough to make it, regardless of winning the Gold or not.

Brodeur is a Canadian legend, and it will be his last olympics, in which he is good as a 3rd goaltender. Plus, Brodeur is still elite, he brought his team within 2 wins of winning the Cup last year.

Crawford is better than Price up until this point.

Unless Price is lights out during the first half of the regular season, next season, he's got no shot at making this team.

Last edited by simplysincere*: 05-29-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old
05-29-2013, 09:47 PM
simplysincere*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art of Sedinery View Post
What are the chances that one of Subban/Letang/Pietrangelo/Doughty in favour a lesser defenceman due to handedness? Assuming Weber is a lock.

RH Defencemen:
Weber
Subban
Letang
Pietrangelo
Doughty
Boyle
Seabrook
Green
Girardi

LH Defencemen:
Keith
Campbell
Phaneuf
Hamhuis
Beauchemin
Staal
Garrison
Bouwmeester
Gorges
Vlasic
keith is better defensively than Pietrangelo and Subban, and can move the puck up the ice just as well as the other two.

Old
05-29-2013, 11:07 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Crawford going to the Western final. Nice! Good experience for him. Might help in Sochi.

Old
05-29-2013, 11:29 PM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by icu View Post
Sorry, but this is a team built on the best players available, not your favourite players - which is what you are eluding to.

You're probably just bitter because I left your beloved Subban and Price off the team.

I know, I know, Habs fan think Subban is the next Orr and Price is almost as good as Roy, unfortunately, reality and logic disagree with you.

But before you reply, do not worry, I will give you my argument beforehand.

Weber, Doughty, Seabrook, Boyle, are all returning vets from the 2010 gold medal winning team, and are all better than Subban defensively, and equally as good offensively with the exception of Seabrook (but, his role is shutdown). Edit: I take that back about Seabrook, he was a boss tonight in Game 7 vs Red Wings, OT series winning goal.

Letang is better offensively than Subban, and has been one of the best offensive defensemen for the last couple of years.

We need some left handed defenseman, hence, Keith and M.Staal, and regardless of what side they shoot, are also both better than Subban defensively.

Whilst I take nothing away from Subban's season this year, and yes he deserves the Norris nomination, he's still not good enough overall to make this team. On any other national team, sure he makes it, but that's just how much depth Canada truly has.

Subban, up until now has had one great season, and what a season it was, but it wasn't a full 82 game season, and the other 7 defensemen I've mentioned have all been consistent for multiple years now.

------

Price is not better than any of the three goaltenders I just mentioned, nor has he proven anything compared to the three I mentioned.

Luongo won the Gold medal in 2010, so he deserves to be on this team, and his play is still elite enough to make it, regardless of winning the Gold or not.

Brodeur is a Canadian legend, and it will be his last olympics, in which he is good as a 3rd goaltender. Plus, Brodeur is still elite, he brought his team within 2 wins of winning the Cup last year.

Crawford is better than Price up until this point.

Unless Price is lights out during the first half of the regular season, next season, he's got no shot at making this team.
Actually, the most glaring omission was Giroux.

Brodeur is too old.
Crawford is sure as **** not better than Price.
Boyle is too old and slow.

Believe me pal, your team was plain awful. You've added some of my favourite players like Thornton, who should NOT be there. It's not a popularity contest - I'm all for creating an actually competitive team for NOW, not 5 years ago. But seriously man, evidently you don't agree with anyone here. Let's see how others respond to your "great" team.

EDIT: I checked out your posts, more than half are you attempting to troll Montreal fans. I'll just add you to my ignore list and call it a day. I don't have time for people like you, who don't know anything about hockey.

Last edited by CanadienShark: 05-29-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old
05-30-2013, 12:07 AM
simplysincere*

Quote:
Actually, the most glaring omission was Giroux.

Brodeur is too old.
Crawford is sure as **** not better than Price.
Boyle is too old and slow.

Believe me pal, your team was plain awful. You've added some of my favourite players like Thornton, who should NOT be there. It's not a popularity contest - I'm all for creating an actually competitive team for NOW, not 5 years ago. But seriously man, evidently you don't agree with anyone here. Let's see how others respond to your "great" team.

EDIT: I checked out your posts, more than half are you attempting to troll Montreal fans. I'll just add you to my ignore list and call it a day. I don't have time for people like you, who don't know anything about hockey.
Giroux is on my list, and was long before you quoted it. Obviously Giroux being on my list slipped your "sharp" eyes.

Brodeur is "too old"? Wow, such a poor and weak argument. Age is irrelevant. If you had an ounce of logic floating around "up there", you'd know this. Brodeur was two games away from winning his fourth cup, just last season. Had the Devils played a full 82 game season, they had a strong bet at making the playoffs and possibly going deep again, permitted a healthy team.

Crawford is better than Price. He's in the conference finals, and pulled his team out of a 3-1 series deficit. Price hasn't even been out of the 1st round yet. Also Crawford's numbers were far superior than Prices within the last 2 seasons.

Apparently making statements with facts and common sense is considered trolling.

Sure, the minute you lose a debate, you cry troll. It's kinda pathetic, and it's also a tactic of trying to bait people or falsely getting them an infraction they do not deserve.

Deal with it, Price and Subban will likely be off the roster. Out of the two, Subban does have a shot, but it's unlikely he'll bump one of four of the superior right handed defenseman, who also by the way, have experience in a Gold medal game or Stanley Cup, and winning either one. And from what I've seen, only two people have disagreed with me, and they just so happen to be delusional Habs fans, who think their players are untouchable unrivalled superstars.

Closed Thread