HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 5)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-29-2013, 11:29 PM
  #276
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 20,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icu View Post
What's even more stupid is that Price signed a long term contract just last year! He knew the consequences of playing in Montreal long before he signed that long term contract last year. If he had issues with all the attention of playing in Montreal, then he shouldn't have signed that contract, rather he should've asked to be dealt.
Well, this is ultimately why I don't believe he's overly distressed by the situation. Pressure's there, he feels it, big deal. I never read much into this new tangent anyhow, so until he has a Roy moment, I don't see this fire that seemingly needs fighting.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 11:49 PM
  #277
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icu View Post
What's even more stupid is that Price signed a long term contract just last year! He knew the consequences of playing in Montreal long before he signed that long term contract last year. If he had issues with all the attention of playing in Montreal, then he shouldn't have signed that contract, rather he should've asked to be dealt.
Well to his defense...he might have realized it this year. Thought he could do with and then....not too sure anymore so he voices it. Or it might be just his way to tell fans to back off. From chilling off....to backing off....

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
05-29-2013, 11:54 PM
  #278
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Well, this is ultimately why I don't believe he's overly distressed by the situation. Pressure's there, he feels it, big deal. I never read much into this new tangent anyhow, so until he has a Roy moment, I don't see this fire that seemingly needs fighting.
Well not that long ago...he did salute the crowd who was booing him. But then, a Roy moment, if it means asking for a trade, would, again, put us in a terrible position not giving us the time to make the greatest possible. In Montreal, you can't have too many distractions and an unhappy goalie would be a terrible one. You just hope that even if it happens, that his value is enough still permit us to make a great trade.

Anyway, we are not there yet. Nobody expect a trade this summer. I'm not expecting a trade next year. Or not even the year after. Just that, if he wants it...you can't really say no....

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
05-30-2013, 12:06 AM
  #279
simplysincere*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well to his defense...he might have realized it this year. Thought he could do with and then....not too sure anymore so he voices it. Or it might be just his way to tell fans to back off. From chilling off....to backing off....
Considering the whole Halak vs Price back in 2010, it's impossible that he realized it just this year. That ordeal was even bigger than today's.

In fact, it's already twice now in his career, where the majority of the fans are questioning whether he's the guy who they'll win it all with. Two times in three years.

simplysincere* is offline  
Old
05-30-2013, 12:15 AM
  #280
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,750
vCash: 500
This thread was greatness. Only small group of us were complaining about the contract and his inconsistent play. He followed that up by having a weak regular season and terrible post season.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...501&highlight=

"but but but the cap is going to go up...this is a great deal!"

LOL

hockeyfan2k11 is offline  
Old
05-30-2013, 02:08 AM
  #281
Genesis76
Registered User
 
Genesis76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: Greece
Posts: 310
vCash: 352
I would take any avg/good AHL goalie that had to work his ass off just to be there in the first place (like Halak back in the days) over Carey Price.

Trade Price get some valuable return and save on the cap at the same time.

At the end of the road any one that knows what pressure means will out-perform here. If it doesn't work restart the process until you find your next Hasek.

Worst case scenario you will get inconsistent play like your getting now but at a cheaper Price.

Genesis76 is offline  
Old
05-30-2013, 02:10 AM
  #282
Flyinghab
Registered User
 
Flyinghab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 80
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
But this year and playoffs are not an anomaly. Looking at just the playoffs, he has been pretty weak for most of them. I'm willing to see what happens next year. But the injury or goalie coach have nothing to do with him being lazy in his net.
I don't think you or I have any right to judge whether he's lazy or not. We can only look at wins and loses. For most of the year he did a good job. It was the last month where he struggled. In the playoffs I thought he played great in game 2 and game 4. I believe Bergy will address these things with Pricey, whether he decides to hire a new goalie coach or not who knows? Pricey has to be better next season and if he isn't then he'll be traded.

Flyinghab is offline  
Old
05-30-2013, 03:00 AM
  #283
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again
 
chaosrevolver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis76 View Post
I would take any avg/good AHL goalie that had to work his ass off just to be there in the first place (like Halak back in the days) over Carey Price.

Trade Price get some valuable return and save on the cap at the same time.

At the end of the road any one that knows what pressure means will out-perform here. If it doesn't work restart the process until you find your next Hasek.

Worst case scenario you will get inconsistent play like your getting now but at a cheaper Price.
I only trade Price if we have a deal in place to get a guy like Jonathan Bernier.

A good/avg AHL goalie doesn't get us into the playoffs.

chaosrevolver is offline  
Old
05-30-2013, 05:23 AM
  #284
habsfanatics
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
This thread was greatness. Only small group of us were complaining about the contract and his inconsistent play. He followed that up by having a weak regular season and terrible post season.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...501&highlight=

"but but but the cap is going to go up...this is a great deal!"

LOL
I remember that thread, I was pretty much alone in there aside from a couple others. I was attacked daily by the fan boy club. It is what it is. Some were suggesting8-8.5m, others were suggesting 60-70m. Almost everyone was happy with 6.5million. others were arguing for 10 year contracts ect ect. Not an inch of foresight in the entire thread for the most part.

I argued that 6.5 m was way too steep for his current accomplishments and there was no reason to rush to get this done if we weren't going to save some cash. This deal and the lack of deal for PK Subban are two of the biggest head scratchers for me. We actually have one guy who's play is like one of the top 5 in position (Subban) vs someone who's play isn't(Price). Before anyone argues hindsight, PK Subban was playing like a top 5 dman prior to this year too, he just didn't have the godly point totals to get recognition, his stats in all 3 zones were elite. Many here didn't even know it, so I'll take their player evaluation skills with a grain of salt.

We decided that the guy who embraces playing in Montreal and thrives in pressure situations needed to improve as a person. Bergevin got these two backwards imo.


Last edited by habsfanatics: 05-30-2013 at 05:31 AM.
habsfanatics is offline  
Old
05-30-2013, 05:35 AM
  #285
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I remember that thread, I was pretty much alone in there aside from a couple others. I was attacked daily by the fan boy club. It is what it is. Some were suggesting8-8.5m, others were suggesting 60-70m. Almost everyone was happy with 6.5million. others were arguing for 10 year contracts ect ect. Not an inch of foresight in the entire thread for the most part.

I argued that 6.5 m was way too steep for his current accomplishments and there was no reason to rush to get this done if we weren't going to save some cash. This deal and the lack of deal for PK Subban are two of the biggest head scratchers for me. We actually have one guy who's play is like one of the top 5 in position (Subban) vs someone who's play isn't(Price). Before anyone argues hindsight, PK Subban was playing like a top 5 dman prior to this year too, he just didn't have the godly point totals to get recognition, his stats in all 3 zones were elite. Many here didn't even know it, so I'll take their player evaluation skills with a grain of salt.

We decided that the guy who embraces playing in Montreal and thrives in pressure situations needed to improve as a person. Bergevin got these two backwards imo.
huh, no.

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
05-30-2013, 05:36 AM
  #286
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again
 
chaosrevolver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I remember that thread, I was pretty much alone in there aside from a couple others. I was attacked daily by the fan boy club. It is what it is. Some were suggesting8-8.5m, others were suggesting 60-70m. Almost everyone was happy with 6.5million. others were arguing for 10 year contracts ect ect. Not an inch of foresight in the entire thread for the most part.

I argued that 6.5 m was way too steep for his current accomplishments and there was no reason to rush to get this done if we weren't going to save some cash. This deal and the lack of deal for PK Subban are two of the biggest head scratchers for me. We actually have one guy who's play is like one of the top 5 in position (Subban) vs someone who's play isn't(Price). Before anyone argues hindsight, PK Subban was playing like a top 5 dman prior to this year too, he just didn't have the godly point totals to get recognition, his stats in all 3 zones were elite. Many here didn't even know it, so I'll take their player evaluation skills with a grain of salt.

We decided that the guy who embraces playing in Montreal and thrives in pressure situations needed to improve as a person. Bergevin got these two backwards imo.
No he wasn't. Not consistently at least.

I'm one of PK's biggest fans being from Belleville where I had the pleasure of watching him play for his entire junior career with my season tickets. However, he was not a top-5 defender last year. Frankly, he wasn't even close. Top-30 or so I'd agree with but considering how poor his start to the season was and the lack of production throughout the year, no one can really say he was top-5. Those who are elite produce and are effective with the advanced statistics (see 2013 Subban).

He definitely deserved 3.5-4.5 based on his play and probably 4.5-5 on his likely growth at the time, but he was not an elite top-5 defender that deserves 6.5+ like he is now.

chaosrevolver is offline  
Old
05-30-2013, 05:52 AM
  #287
GoHomez
Registered User
 
GoHomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 8 km from the Globe
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I remember that thread, I was pretty much alone in there aside from a couple others. I was attacked daily by the fan boy club. It is what it is. Some were suggesting8-8.5m, others were suggesting 60-70m. Almost everyone was happy with 6.5million. others were arguing for 10 year contracts ect ect. Not an inch of foresight in the entire thread for the most part.

I argued that 6.5 m was way too steep for his current accomplishments and there was no reason to rush to get this done if we weren't going to save some cash. This deal and the lack of deal for PK Subban are two of the biggest head scratchers for me. We actually have one guy who's play is like one of the top 5 in position (Subban) vs someone who's play isn't(Price). Before anyone argues hindsight, PK Subban was playing like a top 5 dman prior to this year too, he just didn't have the godly point totals to get recognition, his stats in all 3 zones were elite. Many here didn't even know it, so I'll take their player evaluation skills with a grain of salt.

We decided that the guy who embraces playing in Montreal and thrives in pressure situations needed to improve as a person. Bergevin got these two backwards imo.
Bergevin didn't sign Price.
Subban got the same 2 year "bridge contract" Price did with a little more money.

GoHomez is offline  
Old
05-30-2013, 07:03 AM
  #288
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinghab View Post
I don't think you or I have any right to judge whether he's lazy or not. We can only look at wins and loses. For most of the year he did a good job. It was the last month where he struggled. In the playoffs I thought he played great in game 2 and game 4. I believe Bergy will address these things with Pricey, whether he decides to hire a new goalie coach or not who knows? Pricey has to be better next season and if he isn't then he'll be traded.
He doesn't work hard in his crease at all. It's clear as day to see.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline  
Old
05-30-2013, 07:05 AM
  #289
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 7,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I remember that thread, I was pretty much alone in there aside from a couple others. I was attacked daily by the fan boy club. It is what it is. Some were suggesting8-8.5m, others were suggesting 60-70m. Almost everyone was happy with 6.5million. others were arguing for 10 year contracts ect ect. Not an inch of foresight in the entire thread for the most part.

I argued that 6.5 m was way too steep for his current accomplishments and there was no reason to rush to get this done if we weren't going to save some cash. This deal and the lack of deal for PK Subban are two of the biggest head scratchers for me. We actually have one guy who's play is like one of the top 5 in position (Subban) vs someone who's play isn't(Price). Before anyone argues hindsight, PK Subban was playing like a top 5 dman prior to this year too, he just didn't have the godly point totals to get recognition, his stats in all 3 zones were elite. Many here didn't even know it, so I'll take their player evaluation skills with a grain of salt.

We decided that the guy who embraces playing in Montreal and thrives in pressure situations needed to improve as a person. Bergevin got these two backwards imo.
I was raked over the coals for saying that Price had not earned that deal and if he's going to get paid that money, then he better play like it. Then I referenced Quick's contract and was told that Quick is older (as if that had anything to do with it). @ everyone back then thinking that contract was fair value.

Also, PK was not playing like a top 5 dman but he played better than a lot of people around here thought... Probably the same clowns that wanted him replaced by Diaz and traded for Couturier.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline  
Old
05-30-2013, 07:16 AM
  #290
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,015
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
How do you draft players? Penis length?
Could help with the 5-hole problem that Price has experienced lately .

Also would be damn interesting combines. Would hookers be invited to test the players?


Last edited by onice: 05-30-2013 at 07:36 AM.
onice is offline  
Old
05-30-2013, 07:30 AM
  #291
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,015
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Results withstanding, the disturbing part of Price's comments is that he feels oppressed. Which is, to be honest, surprising. It is not true that hockey players in Montreal feel the heat in their daily chores. Sure, they get asked for autographs and get asked for photos. But they do not get heckled to death and do not get paparazzied like Price says. For him to say he can't go to the grocery store is ludicrous. The guy has got issues. There were some rumors of his mental 'breakdown' the year Halak went for it. They were only rumors, and I didn't give them any credibility. Today, in hindsight, not so sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
The "problem" is also the improvement. You look at Quick and you see that he improves year after year. Yes, he had some trouble this year.....like 110% of players after a cup....You look at Rask and see the improvement. Look at Howard and see it. You'd also look at a worst goalie than Price like Dubnyk and do see the improvement nonetheless. While you might be seeing from Price is ups and downs. There's just no real improvement. Or at the very worst, some steadiness in what should have been a great career from the start based on everything that happpened before....and every chance he had to shine. But it's not too late.....but it's getting dark....
So why did he sign with the Habs this past summer? Why not tell MB I don't enjoy playing in Montreal, I would like to be traded. It would be best for me & for you.

Also, MB at the post season PC admitted he was a little surprised by Price's grocery store comment and a little concern. That tells me Price never let on to management about his "discomfort" level in Montreal. Either that or Marc Bergevin is a clueless moron who doesn't understand when people speak to him. And I don't think Marc Bergevin is a clueless moron.

onice is offline  
Old
05-30-2013, 08:08 AM
  #292
simplysincere*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHomez View Post
Bergevin didn't sign Price.
Yes he did.

simplysincere* is offline  
Old
05-30-2013, 08:22 AM
  #293
GoHomez
Registered User
 
GoHomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 8 km from the Globe
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icu View Post
Yes he did.
He sure did, my bad.

GoHomez is offline  
Old
05-30-2013, 08:48 AM
  #294
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,430
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
And yet the Blackhawks were dead last in the league in the stats column... Sharks were 22nd... Even the Penguins and the Bruins barely get into the top 1/3... hmm...



Then I would present a combined "stat", as opposed to just one or the other.



Sure does. Begs the question though: did you provide defensive zone faceoff percentage rankings, or "total"?



I think everyone's at least a bit puzzled arguing an arbitrary set of factors manipulated to provide an arbitrary ranking system, and its correlation to the results of the games and the "eye test".



At what point does this ranking show me the difference between Montreal starting off the season with a healthy defense and healthy goalie but ending with injuries to both, and L.A. starting off the year without one of its top 4 defensemen and a recovering goalie but ending the year healthy? Seems to me like those were roads going in opposite directions that were bound to meet somewhere along the line; whatever the statistical particulars may be. The defensive play of the Kings' forwards compared to the Habs' is definitely an edge, though.
Defense is comprised of more than hits, but hits do play a small part (1/10).

FYI, I believe Giveaways aren't actually a "defensive" stat as to get a giveaway you need possession of the puck (hence you are technically on offense) and then have it lost by a player on the other team "taking it away" from you. I still do believe they are both equally as important statistics, but for defensive sakes, Takeaways is the one to use because it is an actual defensive stat, hence why it was used by the author of that article i posted above.

Show me a link to defensive zone faceoff % and more than gladly use them. For now, totals will have to do. Might skew things, but I highly doubt it. More likely they even each other out and you get a general picture about how likely a team is to win a faceoff at any faceoff dot on the ice. I think that's the key thing here.

How are Goals Against per Game, Shots Against per Game, Hits, Blocked Shots, Takeaway, and Faceoff % arbitrary? Okay maybe the last one but the first 5 statistical categories are all defensive categories. Do you disagree with this statement?

Now you're using injuries as excuses. I provide statistics in coming off with a somewhat logical conclusion on how well defensively a certain team or teams has/have played and your response is "oh well LA just won a cup and all cup teams are usually rusty the year after to start and Quick had back surgery that he's still recovering from" which is all true and fine and dandy. But the way I see it, excuses. In fact, how do you end up 5th place in the standings and use that as an excuse for how well you played in any respect, offensively/defensively/whatever. Now with their playoff performance, can you still use those above excuses?

The "ranking" system isn't a joke as mentioned below in this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Do you know how many games Price played in his often coveted AHL playoff heroics?, apparently not. As far as those achievements, one conn smythe trumps them all, in the running 2 years in a row destroys it.

At the Jr's if it wasn't for Toews scoring on every shot, no one remembers this performance, Price was letting in every shot himself.
He played 22 AHL playoff games that year, won 15 of them.

I remember that game very well as i watched it live. I remember Toews scoring like 3 times in a row after the first 3 players shot. Price was letting in every shot on their repeat scorer Mueller I believe. Eventually he stopped enough for them to win and move onto the Gold Medal Game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Thank god you wrote ESPECIALLY as far as AHL prowess 'cause everything else you mentioned, there's another goalie who also added this to his resume....and that's the great Justin Pogge.

Anyway, what you mentioned is the reason of the expectations. Not sure why people are blaming other posters for having high expectations. 'Cause then you add how he was brought up (don't respond LafleurGuy, that part is not for you...), the money he makes, who we traded to make room for him, and here are you high expectations. Then now, you can even add a goalie that was picked in the same draft much later on who has already 1 Cup and working on another one. And an enemy goalie in Rask, who has already reached a 3rd round, that Price didn't do yet. I know, teams and all. But somehow, both of those goalies are making their team better. As good as they are, they have weaknesses. Boston was about to lose in the 1st round. LA looked like a team that would probably not make the playoffs....
Pogge has never won the Calder Cup, let alone in the same year he won the World Juniors, was the World Juniors Goalie of the Tournament (ahead of Tuukka Rask), Tournament MVP, Jack A. Butterfield Trophy as the AHL Playoffs MVP.

Yes we have high expectations, hence why everyone says he should be better. But people make it seem like this means nothing. It doesn't mean more than winning a cup and a conn smythe, but before last season, Price's accomplishments trumped Quick's. Now, the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Hits have no bearing on the quality of defence, 10 % is 10% too high. One of the best dan ever, rarely hit, see Nik Lidstrom

Takeaways, completely meaningless, no standard set between rinks to even count them, and the team with the puck the most is the team that has the least amount of chances to actually create takeaways

Faceoffs, basically a coin toss, once again, 10% is 10% too high. None of those things had any impact on the bad defensive prowess. Zero, talk about grasping. If those lack of hits/faceoffs/takeways weren't leading to more shots/more scoring chances they are completely irrelevant, it's clear as day that they weren't. lol
If that is the case then why is PO hockey very hard hitting and the games are extremely close? I might be making a stretch but I feel like they complement each other...

Takeaways are not meaningless. What do u mean by "no standard set between rinks to even count them"? They are counted, and are on the NHL.com website. Thank you for illustrating my point. As I believe takeaways are a minorly important defensive stat, you make the argument that the team with the puck more often (like we did for most games this season) will have less opportunities to take the puck off the other team because the other team doesn't have the puck as much as them. So when people mention "we had the 5th fewest shots on goal this year, we controlled the play, etc" it has very little to do with how we played defensively and almost everything to do with how we played offensively.

I might "grasp" but this logic of "we had the fewest shots on goal in the league" deal and that's why we're such a great defensive team might work for most teams like, say LOS ANGELES who were consistently for the past 5 years a team that allowed the 6th fewest shots allowed/game or lower in the NHL. But for a team like Montreal who I think has cracked the top 10 in SA/G over the past 5 seasons maybe once, it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
"Probably going to give up shots", except we didn't. Giveaways/takeaways are about the most meaningless stat going. The top dman in the league leads in giveaways every year, it's because they have the puck the most often.

Shots blocked haha, you realize this shows how well our d actually was right? We gave up the 4th fewest shots and didn't have to prevent shots from getting on net either, which means we were controlling the play. If you can't grasp these basic concepts you're in way too deep.

Edit: So lets review your data

We were middle of the pack in shots blocked.
We sucked at hitting
We gave up the forth fewest shots in the league.
We were middle of the pack in faceoffs.
We were bad at takeaways,

While guess what, while all those things were happening, no shots were resulted of it, unless you believe if we hit more, won more faceoffs and blocked a few more shots, then we'd be 1st overall in Defense. Your understanding of statistics is mind-boggling.

If they were leading to more shots, we would of, umm, giving up more shots, but we gave up the 4th fewest, add to the fact we were only 14th in the league in blocked shots, means that fewer pucks were going towards our net, which also means, we had the puck more than our opponents, which also means, the habs were a very good team this year. In no way was LA's D significantly better than ours, not by any metric.
Top Dman in the league does not have the most giveaways because as you said "they have the puck the most often". Talk about grasping. Out of the Norris finalists, only 1 was in the Top 10 in Giveaways this year (Subban) only 2 in the top 30 (Subban, Letang was 27th), but nice try...if you're going to rationalize that Subban is in the top 10, well let's just say that he probably has to grow his skills still (being the youngest of all 3 and especially defensively) and he likes to handle the puck much more than Letang and Suter, don't you think?

What it means is that teams spent probably much less time in our zone than years past and that we gave up less shots on net and less shots directed at the net. Now is this a correlation that the team was better defensively? Possibly, but it could also show that the team was also MUCH MUCH BETTER at maintaining possession and keeping the puck in the O-Zone (something I saw game after game). What I didn't see during our regular season and playoff games is our defense consistently playing well defensively.

My understanding of statistics might be mind-boggling to you. Explain to me how this year with our defensive prowess manage to only be about .05 GA/G better this year than 2010-11 where Price was absolutely "incredible". Also, our G/G was almost .5 G/G better this season than it was 2 years ago. Another interesting statistic.

Explain that to me Mr. Statistics Genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icu View Post
Your logic again, is completely false.

Quick is a better goalie than Price, and went in the 2nd round. That fact alone destroys your logic.

Again, I'll reiterate the point, the only thing that matters is what you do at the NHL level. Everything else means nothing.

Sidney Crosby is Sidney Crosby, because he won a Gold, Stanley Cup, Art Ross, and Hart. Sidney Crosby is not Sidney Crosby because of what he did in Junior, but because of what he did at the NHL level.

Also, according to your skewed logic, I suppose someone with a PhD who amounts to nothing later on in life is much more successful than a university dropout such as Steve Jobs.

Hype, literally means nothing. I want people who get the job done, when it counts. I don't care about their hype. And successful GMs or bosses will hire people who get the job done. GMs or bosses that fall for the hype end up failing their teams or companies, and ultimately lose their job.
LOL and GMs have crystal balls that can see the future. This is one of the funniest things i've ever read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
340 NHL games later, it means nothing.
Means nothing? So then Lundqvist's stats the past 5 years mean nothing too, never been past the 2nd round is a failure, etc.

Jesus ****ing Price people, enough with the hyperbolic statements. Of course it doesn't mean more than winning a SC/winning a Conn Smythe, but it doesn't mean nothing either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McKenna View Post
You mean the same average team that made it to the ECF? Oh right we had a hot goalie that we traded away so price wouldn't have competition because our ELITE TOP 5 goalie has a super fragile ego. So its always cuzz the team sucked right, except when the back up brought us to the semi finals? That is what a good goalie does in the post season. Gives their team a chance. Price regardless of year or injuries hasn't done it. The year he made it past first round we got swept in 4 straight. MAYBE his workload is too heavy(something many point as his strong suit) if so say something and be fresh for the playoff.s
Halak didn't just give our team a chance, HE STOLE GAMES FOR US. Quick might steal a game or two in the POs, but in only 2 rounds, Halak probably "stole" half of them (7 games). Quick gives his team a chance to win by coming up with timely saves. Our team has been average for years and one year our goalie stood on his head and took us to the ECF. Everyone knows this and says this, including other fans.

FYI in 2010-11 Price gave our team many chances in many games to win (hence the 3 OT games in that 7 game series against the eventual SC Champions) and how do some players reward him, by shooting at TT's pads on a 2 on 1 (Gionta). This year we had no hope whatsoever. Price played well Game 2 and Game 4 and the team in front of him lets him down in Game 3 and 4.

GP has nothing to do with it. Who's in front of him does. Sooner most of you realize this, the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And the problem with talking about Price pre-NHL accomplishments, especially his AHL Cup, is that you would have thought that it would have permitted him to be better, sooner. You don't do all that, real young, to then, go back in a regular mode, till you reach 27th, your prime time. That's usually reserved to non-phenom guys who has a more quiet and steady progression. But now, there's talk about his style....his attitude.....his competitiveness.....his weaknesses and so on....Somehow, even for him, what he did in the past has to count for so much, he has to bring it to another level. From his own words.
He should have been better, but I think he wanted to live the celeb life in Montreal and not focus about winning a SC. That's my opinion, although after trading Halak and proving himself to be a very good goaltender he showed the world what he could do, and then last year with the team's ****storm still had average stats and this year playing well the first 2 months of the season before bed crapping by almost everyone. He needs to elevate his game above regular mode and go into Quick mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
This thread was greatness. Only small group of us were complaining about the contract and his inconsistent play. He followed that up by having a weak regular season and terrible post season.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...501&highlight=

"but but but the cap is going to go up...this is a great deal!"

LOL
Cap hit comparables:

Cam Ward: 6.3 million
Ryan Miller: 6.25 million
Pekka Rinne: 7 million
Henrik Lundqvist: 6.875 million

The only thing that he doesn't have that these goalies have is SC (Ward, playing lights out in 06 after coming in for Gerber and Koivu goes down with that eye injury from Williams stick), Vezina Trophy (Miller, Lundqvist) and Vezina Trophy Finalist (Rinne). Price will get all of the above eventually and hopefully it will be while he's still the #1 for Le CH. But despite this, is he a bit overpaid due to his last season's performance? No doubt. Is he overpaid since taking over the #1 from Jaro Halak? Maybe a little but it's an argument to say the least.

dmanfish90 is offline  
Old
05-30-2013, 08:55 AM
  #295
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,430
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I remember that thread, I was pretty much alone in there aside from a couple others. I was attacked daily by the fan boy club. It is what it is. Some were suggesting8-8.5m, others were suggesting 60-70m. Almost everyone was happy with 6.5million. others were arguing for 10 year contracts ect ect. Not an inch of foresight in the entire thread for the most part.

I argued that 6.5 m was way too steep for his current accomplishments and there was no reason to rush to get this done if we weren't going to save some cash. This deal and the lack of deal for PK Subban are two of the biggest head scratchers for me. We actually have one guy who's play is like one of the top 5 in position (Subban) vs someone who's play isn't(Price). Before anyone argues hindsight, PK Subban was playing like a top 5 dman prior to this year too, he just didn't have the godly point totals to get recognition, his stats in all 3 zones were elite. Many here didn't even know it, so I'll take their player evaluation skills with a grain of salt.

We decided that the guy who embraces playing in Montreal and thrives in pressure situations needed to improve as a person. Bergevin got these two backwards imo.
Price played just as well before this contract as PK has before this contract. Difference is now is that PK played like a Top 3 or Top 5 defenseman and Price did the exact opposite.

PK before this year was never a consistent elite defenseman game in and game out. I remember one year, JM benched him for multiple games and at 1 point, multiple games consecutively because he was turning over the puck all too often and making plays he shouldn't be making.

dmanfish90 is offline  
Old
05-30-2013, 09:03 AM
  #296
simplysincere*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
LOL and GMs have crystal balls that can see the future. This is one of the funniest things i've ever read.


Cap hit comparables:

Cam Ward: 6.3 million
Ryan Miller: 6.25 million
Pekka Rinne: 7 million
Henrik Lundqvist: 6.875 million

The only thing that he doesn't have that these goalies have is SC (Ward, playing lights out in 06 after coming in for Gerber and Koivu goes down with that eye injury from Williams stick), Vezina Trophy (Miller, Lundqvist) and Vezina Trophy Finalist (Rinne). Price will get all of the above eventually and hopefully it will be while he's still the #1 for Le CH. But despite this, is he a bit overpaid due to his last season's performance? No doubt. Is he overpaid since taking over the #1 from Jaro Halak? Maybe a little but it's an argument to say the least.
You contradict yourself in the same post, now that is funny!

First you bust the "crystal ball" critique on me, but then you go and make a "crystal ball" assumption that Price will eventually win the Vezina and the Stanley Cup.

You do realize that your basing assumptions vs actual facts? Assuming Price will be as good or win anything (because that's all it is, an assumption), is irrelevant and adds zero credibility to your argument.

simplysincere* is offline  
Old
05-30-2013, 09:09 AM
  #297
simplysincere*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
Price played just as well before this contract.
Yeah, he played so well that he led his team to a last place finish in their conference. He had one good season out of three, before this contract.

simplysincere* is offline  
Old
05-30-2013, 09:11 AM
  #298
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 20,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
Show me a link to defensive zone faceoff % and more than gladly use them.
Start here and do your own work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
How are Goals Against per Game, Shots Against per Game, Hits, Blocked Shots, Takeaway, and Faceoff % arbitrary? Okay maybe the last one but the first 5 statistical categories are all defensive categories. Do you disagree with this statement?
I agree that the combination, elements excluded/included, and weighting all serve to make it maybe a baby step away from arbitrary - in terms of what is spit out the other side. See: Chicago last in the league in hits, for example, but allowing the fewest goals in the league. Some factors have strong correlation, some have weak/no correlation, and yet they're all mashed together with equal weight. Arbitrary.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanfish90 View Post
Now you're using injuries as excuses.
Yeah, excuses. The two goalies ended up with similar numbers and you wonder how. People are pointing to the loss of Emelin and the rumoured injury of Price as reasons why things started looking worse toward the end for the Habs. Kings pretty much started the season with Quick just off surgery recovery and without Matt Greene, but everything started falling back into place as the regular season neared the end.

It's not an excuse, it's what happened. Healthy goalie + intact top 4 defense <--> Less than 100% goalie + hole in the top 4. These two trains started at opposite ends of that track of changing fortunes and met somewhere in the middle. There's a lot more to it (and admittedly guys like rookie Jake Muzzin did a great job filling the holes), but historically you'll see the impact of a labouring goalie and a hole in the defensive top 4 born out in many teams' stats league-wide (particularly defensive ones, obviously).
[/QUOTE]

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
05-30-2013, 09:30 AM
  #299
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well not that long ago...he did salute the crowd who was booing him. But then, a Roy moment, if it means asking for a trade, would, again, put us in a terrible position not giving us the time to make the greatest possible. In Montreal, you can't have too many distractions and an unhappy goalie would be a terrible one. You just hope that even if it happens, that his value is enough still permit us to make a great trade.

Anyway, we are not there yet. Nobody expect a trade this summer. I'm not expecting a trade next year. Or not even the year after. Just that, if he wants it...you can't really say no....
Roy got moved because we had the dumbest management group. Nothing forced them to move Roy four days after the request. Not only that, but they didn't have to suspend him after the game either. It was just poorly handled, seriously one of the worst management issue I can think of in all sports.

Kriss E is online now  
Old
05-30-2013, 09:30 AM
  #300
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?
 
dmanfish90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Waterloo/TOR (Sigh)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,430
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by icu View Post
You contradict yourself in the same post, now that is funny!

First you bust the "crystal ball" critique on me, but then you go and make a "crystal ball" assumption that Price will eventually win the Vezina and the Stanley Cup.

You do realize that your basing assumptions vs actual facts? Assuming Price will be as good or win anything (because that's all it is, an assumption), is irrelevant and adds zero credibility to your argument.
Yeah that came out wrong. What I meant to say is he's played good, not great. I think he has it in him to accomplish all those feats, but hasn't shown it much outside of 1 year (2010-11).

Quote:
Originally Posted by icu View Post
Yeah, he played so well that he led his team to a last place finish in their conference. He had one good season out of three, before this contract.
So you're basically blaming the cluster**** that was the Montreal Canadiens 2011-12 season on Price's play? Just FYI, you can find his stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8471679
here
.

A .916 and 2.43 for a Last-placed Eastern Conference team is amazing. Just look at the bottom 5 goalies stats for those seasons each of the past 5 years. There's only 1 or 2 goalies with comparable stats and none of them that are better in both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Start here and do your own work.



I agree that the combination, elements excluded/included, and weighting all serve to make it maybe a baby step away from arbitrary - in terms of what is spit out the other side. See: Chicago last in the league in hits, for example, but allowing the fewest goals in the league. Some factors have strong correlation, some have weak/no correlation, and yet they're all mashed together with equal weight. Arbitrary.




Yeah, excuses. The two goalies ended up with similar numbers and you wonder how. People are pointing to the loss of Emelin and the rumoured injury of Price as reasons why things started looking worse toward the end for the Habs. Kings pretty much started the season with Quick just off surgery recovery and without Matt Greene, but everything started falling back into place as the regular season neared the end.

It's not an excuse, it's what happened. Healthy goalie + intact top 4 defense <--> Less than 100% goalie + hole in the top 4. These two trains started at opposite ends of that track of changing fortunes and met somewhere in the middle. There's a lot more to it (and admittedly guys like rookie Jake Muzzin did a great job filling the holes), but historically you'll see the impact of a labouring goalie and a hole in the defensive top 4 born out in many teams' stats league-wide (particularly defensive ones, obviously).
[/QUOTE]

Firstly, thanks for the site. Most definitely will do the work eventually.

Secondly, since when is Goals Against/Game at 40%, Shots Against/Game at 20%, Hits, Takeaways, Blocked Shots, and Faceoff % at 10% each "mashed together with equal weight". NOT arbitrary.

Thirdly, have you ever heard the phrase "injuries are part of the game"? Cuz they are. Now i dont make it a repetitive evidence for my argument that Price didn't play well down the stretch because of a nagging injury. The point i'm making is Price had a bad end to the season and Quick had a bad start to the season. You're right with the reversing trains but the point is in the end, if you look at their seasons overall, they were average, with Quick getting the advantage as he played well down the stretch, which i think counts for more than starting the season off strong (still a good thing to have/accomplish).

It is an excuse and it is what happened. The fact is that EVERY TEAM (especially ours year after year being in the top 5 among NHL teams with Man-games lost to injury) has injuries. Look at Ottawa as the key example. Maybe for a particular player you can say "well he didn't play well cuz this injury, hence the off numbers" but in general, all teams have injuries and all teams have to deal with him. I'll give u a pass about Price and Quick cuz it makes sense to me, but people can't say "Price didn't play well down the stretch cuz we were missing X player on D or Y player on offense" or whatever. It just has no validity because everyone can make the same statement, yet some goalies pick up the slack (or other players for that matter) and some goalies (or other players) don't and it's reflected in the W-L column and their stats (for goalies and maybe players too).

dmanfish90 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.