HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phaneuf vs. Bieksa

Old
05-21-2013, 02:19 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Phaneuf is a bigger (left-handed) version of Bieksa. He is just like Bieksa. Both players make more mistakes, as their minutes climb. They play best at about 20 min/game. Neither player is a top pairing guy. Although Phaneuf is paid like one, so his expectations are higher.
Phaneuf certainly plays like a top pairing guy and does just fine in his 27 minutes a night.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 02:21 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Phaneuf is a bigger (left-handed) version of Bieksa. He is just like Bieksa. Both players make more mistakes, as their minutes climb. They play best at about 20 min/game. Neither player is a top pairing guy. Although Phaneuf is paid like one, so his expectations are higher.
On the basis of talent/shown abilities alone: Phaneuf > Bieksa.

For this team though, we need natural offensive D that play the right side.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Alflives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
On the basis of talent/shown abilities alone: Phaneuf > Bieksa.

For this team though, we need natural offensive D that play the right side.
I agree with you. Phaneuf is better than Bieksa, but in a capped era we cannot separate salary and performance.
I just think the top paid D-guys (+6mil) need to play 25+ minutes, in all circumstances, and their game can't tail off.

Alflives* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 03:46 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Would you trade Bieksa for Phaneuf? I don't know about that. Maybe in a non-capped era, but now?
No, but is that relevant? We're not talking about getting Phaneuf, we're talking about who's better.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 03:50 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Would you trade Bieksa for Phaneuf? I don't know about that. Maybe in a non-capped era, but now?
I would if I saw a way to negotiate an extension. You're talking about a $1.9m difference. You're getting the younger, much better player. Cap will go back up sooner than later.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 06:08 PM
knoxdown

I'd rather have both on the same team.

Hamhuis-Phaneuf
Garrison-Bieksa

knoxdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 06:56 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I would if I saw a way to negotiate an extension. You're talking about a $1.9m difference. You're getting the younger, much better player. Cap will go back up sooner than later.
i think people assume kevins younger than he is. occasionally im shocked when i remember he was born in '81

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Alflives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I agree Phaneuf is a better player, but would he be the top minute guy on the back end the Canucks need? I just don't see him as a big enough upgrade on what the Canucks already have. If Phaneuf was acquired in a trade including Bieksa, how do you see the pairings, and PP time? Where would Edler play, or is he traded too?

Old
05-22-2013, 05:40 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
I agree Phaneuf is a better player, but would he be the top minute guy on the back end the Canucks need? I just don't see him as a big enough upgrade on what the Canucks already have. If Phaneuf was acquired in a trade including Bieksa, how do you see the pairings, and PP time? Where would Edler play, or is he traded too?
The thing with Phaneuf, is that he does a bit better job of pretty much everything Bieksa does...but he does it partnered with 'fringe' guys. Bieksa has only ever looked good beside defensive rocks like Hamhuis and Mitchell.

Put Phaneuf beside a Hamhuis or Garrison here (maybe even gasp! Edler), and you've got a legitimate minute munching top pairing.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 07:04 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Phaneuf by a million miles....**** off.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:44 AM
Alflives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
The thing with Phaneuf, is that he does a bit better job of pretty much everything Bieksa does...but he does it partnered with 'fringe' guys. Bieksa has only ever looked good beside defensive rocks like Hamhuis and Mitchell.

Put Phaneuf beside a Hamhuis or Garrison here (maybe even gasp! Edler), and you've got a legitimate minute munching top pairing.
I am leaning to your view on this, especially if Phaneuf played the majority of his 5 on 5 minutes with Tanev. That would leave Garrison and Hamhuis as a very very good second pairing. Elder is traded for a "Simmonds" type of power foward.

Old
05-28-2013, 01:49 AM
Reverend Mayhem
In Gord We Trust

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Phaneuf is better offensively, Bieksa is about the same defensively. Very similar players, though.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 12:47 AM
Tom.H

Both players can be dominating at times and other times be extremely frustrating to watch. Come to think of it, that describes Edler as well.

Tom.H is offline   Reply With Quote