HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Laviolette Discussion (April 28: Laviolette to return next season)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-29-2013, 06:36 PM
  #201
MillerTime2181
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Torts is a giant jerk but the Rangers failed because they have incredibly overrated talent. Besides Del Zotto, their defensemen don't move the puck well and Del Zotto make a lot of dumb decisions. Rck Nash is one of the most overrated players in he game, and Stepan and Callahan are good two way players, but are not natural goal scorers. Brad Rchards is old. And the King has one of the worst playoff overtime records of all time, through his team under the bus because of it, and just got his coach fired. Thank god Torts is gone because he owned he Flyers. That will come to an end.
You DO remember who the Flyers currently employ as their starting goaltender don't you? Flyers should be so lucky as to have Lundqvist on the team. Lundqvist in 2010 on the Flyers = Cup.

MillerTime2181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 07:20 PM
  #202
JVR21
G
 
JVR21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 7,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime2181 View Post
You DO remember who the Flyers currently employ as their starting goaltender don't you? Flyers should be so lucky as to have Lundqvist on the team. Lundqvist in 2010 on the Flyers = Cup.
Also means ~$4-5M less in cap space for skaters i.e. losing at least one key player.

JVR21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 07:45 PM
  #203
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,976
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Also means ~$4-5M less in cap space for skaters i.e. losing at least one key player.
Don't be so logical!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 07:57 PM
  #204
FlyingPhilly
Registered User
 
FlyingPhilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 1,314
vCash: 500
Nope, still rather have Lavi than Torts.

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:04 AM
  #205
SchennSational1022*
The Future
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Long Island New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,281
vCash: 500
Oh no...Dreger on NHL network says if Lavy gets fired he sees Torts as a good fit here and a definite possibility. He would absolutely kill the development of players like Couturier and Schenn. Stay away Holmgren...

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:12 AM
  #206
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
Oh no...Dreger on NHL network says if Lavy gets fired he sees Torts as a good fit here and a definite possibility. He would absolutely kill the development of players like Couturier and Schenn. Stay away Holmgren...
I wouldn't worry too much about Torts coming here especially since Lavi is going to coach half a season.....

Torts will be picked up by then but yeah if he isn't ....Holmgren might pursue him. Torts would probably be a good half season playoff push type coach like Lavi was and Sutter for LA. Then we would see the same stifling crap here. Couturier and Schenn would become shot blocking specialists but offensively the next Andreas NoGoals

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 07:26 AM
  #207
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!
 
hckyplayer8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicken Capital,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
Nope, still rather have Lavi than Torts.
I'd take Torts.

Lavi needs to go.

We aren't going anywhere when we keep getting schooled by two inter-division rivals.

That's not the players fault, that's the coaches fault.

Two seasons was more than enough time to fix it.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 07:44 AM
  #208
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 112,491
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
I'd take Torts.

Lavi needs to go.

We aren't going anywhere when we keep getting schooled by two inter-division rivals.

That's not the players fault, that's the coaches fault.

Two seasons was more than enough time to fix it.
Sounds like the GMs fault, because they did fine against the Devils and Rangers when Lavy showed up.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 08:14 AM
  #209
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!
 
hckyplayer8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicken Capital,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Sounds like the GMs fault, because they did fine against the Devils and Rangers when Lavy showed up.
What?

We didn't beat the Rangers at all last year and only won twice against them this year.

We got our ***** handed to us against the Devils in the playoffs last year and barely got one win against them this year in a shootout.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 08:48 AM
  #210
Psuhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Ryan McDonagh?

I wouldn't be pointing fingers at Hank for New York's short comings in the Playoffs. Year after year the team in front of him ****'s the bed in the playoffs. He honestly should have had at least a cup right now.

Regular Season: 511GP .920SV% 2.25GAA
Post Season: 67GP .920SV% 2.28GAA
Ryan McDonagh is a great defender but when he and Girardi are on the ice, you see a lot more chip outs than outlet passes. Is that the system or the players, I can't say for sure.

Lindqvist is a great goalie, no doubt about it. But for a guy often sited as the best goalie in the game, he has never been the best goalie in a given playoff year. Quick has blown his and any goalie numbers out of the water the last two years and Tim Thomas before that. This is also the guy who lost a do or die for the playoffs shoot out to Brian Boucher after his team dominated shoots outs during the season and was playing arguably the worst shoot out team in history, the Flyers. At some point, the guy deserves a little blame. Lets we how he does without the wall of shot blocking limiting opponents to 2-3 great scoring chances a game.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 09:18 AM
  #211
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Lindqvist is a great goalie, no doubt about it. But for a guy often sited as the best goalie in the game, he has never been the best goalie in a given playoff year. Quick has blown his and any goalie numbers out of the water the last two years and Tim Thomas before that. This is also the guy who lost a do or die for the playoffs shoot out to Brian Boucher after his team dominated shoots outs during the season and was playing arguably the worst shoot out team in history, the Flyers. At some point, the guy deserves a little blame. Lets we how he does without the wall of shot blocking limiting opponents to 2-3 great scoring chances a game.
I don't know how much more you want the guy to do, without him Washington knocks them out in the first round in 4 or 5 games.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 11:14 AM
  #212
poneill27
Registered User
 
poneill27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Casterly Rock
Country: United States
Posts: 800
vCash: 500
Lavy....short leash. F Torts!! He is funny though.

poneill27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:00 PM
  #213
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 42,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Lets we how he does without the wall of shot blocking limiting opponents to 2-3 great scoring chances a game.
There have been more than a few games against the Flyers where we outplayed them and had a lot of great scoring chances, but couldn't get anything past him unless it was fluky as hell. I think he'd be fine.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:16 PM
  #214
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 13,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
There have been more than a few games against the Flyers where we outplayed them and had a lot of great scoring chances, but couldn't get anything past him unless it was fluky as hell. I think he'd be fine.
i hear the Rags are prepared to sign/lockup Lundy to a massive contract.

i doubt king Henrik moves.


shame id love to have him in Philly

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:34 PM
  #215
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,057
vCash: 500
I couldn't see Holmgren going after Tortorella. Michael Grange from Sportsnet posted a great article about Tortorella, basically calling him a phony and a bully. There's no way that Holmgren would even consider bringing in that kind of destructive force into the locker room. Look at how Tortorella tore apart Carl Hagelin in the media. Threw him under the bus and thought nothing of it. That's not accountability. I'm sure someone will give Tortorella another chance though because that seems to be the way things go in the NHL. Hopefully it's not the Flyers that give him that chance.....

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 02:45 PM
  #216
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!
 
hckyplayer8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chicken Capital,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I couldn't see Holmgren going after Tortorella. Michael Grange from Sportsnet posted a great article about Tortorella, basically calling him a phony and a bully. There's no way that Holmgren would even consider bringing in that kind of destructive force into the locker room. Look at how Tortorella tore apart Carl Hagelin in the media. Threw him under the bus and thought nothing of it. That's not accountability. I'm sure someone will give Tortorella another chance though because that seems to be the way things go in the NHL. Hopefully it's not the Flyers that give him that chance.....
Calder Cup ring.
Stanley Cup ring.
Top two American born coaches with most victories.

Yeah the guy is a total fraud.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 03:21 PM
  #217
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Torts is a bigger ahole than Lavy. No thanks.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 11:33 PM
  #218
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor
 
shipwreck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 1,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
I'd take Torts.

Lavi needs to go.

We aren't going anywhere when we keep getting schooled by two inter-division rivals.

That's not the players fault, that's the coaches fault.

Two seasons was more than enough time to fix it.
I agree with ya...

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 11:36 PM
  #219
PhilaFlyers
Registered User
 
PhilaFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,300
vCash: 500
Torts is a joke. No way would I want him coaching in Philly.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 12:39 AM
  #220
SchennSational1022*
The Future
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Long Island New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,281
vCash: 500
Couturier and Schenn's offensive progression would be ruined. Torts is the last coach I want around these two guys in their development stage.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 01:01 AM
  #221
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,234
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Lindqvist is a great goalie, no doubt about it. But for a guy often sited as the best goalie in the game, he has never been the best goalie in a given playoff year. Quick has blown his and any goalie numbers out of the water the last two years and Tim Thomas before that. This is also the guy who lost a do or die for the playoffs shoot out to Brian Boucher after his team dominated shoots outs during the season and was playing arguably the worst shoot out team in history, the Flyers. At some point, the guy deserves a little blame. Lets we how he does without the wall of shot blocking limiting opponents to 2-3 great scoring chances a game.
Jon Quick is outstanding and has been the better playoff goalie the last two years, those numbers don't lie. But numbers are numbers, they don't account for the team in front of you. Nobody has been as consistently excellent over the last 6 years as Lundqvist, that's why he's rightly called the best.

As for that shoot out loss, Hank was the only reason there was a shoot out and it wasn't a 5-2 demolition. The Rangers got so badly out played that game it wasn't funny. As for the shot blocking thing, that's nonsense. His team often gets outplayed in the play offs and he bails them out. He's the real deal.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 01:09 AM
  #222
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,555
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Calder Cup ring.
Stanley Cup ring.
Top two American born coaches with most victories.

Yeah the guy is a total fraud.
Lavy has a ring as well and would of had 2 if it not been for that goaltending position.

That said I am not a fan of Torts. good coach, no doubt but even if you thought about bringing him in this team is not built for his type of hockey. you need a goaltender who is good for that.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 01:22 AM
  #223
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,234
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Lavy has a ring as well and would of had 2 if it not been for that goaltending position.

That said I am not a fan of Torts. good coach, no doubt but even if you thought about bringing him in this team is not built for his type of hockey. you need a goaltender who is good for that.
I don't really want him over Laviolette, but if you had to choose which one is a better match for this roster stylistically, it's Tortarella all the way.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 02:44 AM
  #224
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 42,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I don't really want him over Laviolette, but if you had to choose which one is a better match for this roster stylistically, it's Tortarella all the way.
For the D, sure. For the forwards? I don't think so.

Annnnndddddd now we're back at Holmgren and the way he built the team.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 08:09 AM
  #225
RoDu
Registered User
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,526
vCash: 500
Can we sign him to handle the beat reporters?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.