HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official OKC Barons 12/13 Thread:

Old
05-29-2013, 02:32 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Most of our prospects haven't brought enough to the table to allow us to have team success without significant veteran help. That's what happens when your last 6 top picks are in the NHL and your other 1st rounder was in Sweden. That said it sounds like Marincin, Fedun, Pitlick, Lander (before getting hurt), Rajala, and Hartikainen have all been doing well.
And on that bolded note, seems that Cheechoo is contributing his veteran help to the team in a very good way. There's a pretty good interview with him on the Oilers site.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 08:40 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

The Barons are currently controlling Game 3 3-0 in the 1st period.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 09:19 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

vCash: 50
@ryandittrick: Tanner House knocked unconscious after a dirty hit by Triston Grant. Eager comes to his defence, drops the mitts and starts chucking.

@ryandittrick: Scary scene here as the stretcher is coming out.

oilers4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 09:59 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
@ryandittrick: Tanner House knocked unconscious after a dirty hit by Triston Grant. Eager comes to his defence, drops the mitts and starts chucking.

Good on Eager for stepping up. Got the first goal tonight too.

Delicious Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 10:18 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
#OKCBarons Tanner House, who was carted off ice on a stretcher after sustaining a head injury, is now alert & has regained consciousness.
http://twitter.com/okcbarons/status/339927076536713216

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 10:47 PM
dnicks17

Caught the last 25 or so minutes of the game.

The Barons were looking good. Love how everyone buys into the system and backchecks like their life depends on it.

Rajala looks eerily similar to Yakupov. They have the same kind of skating and stickhandling and they both do that wide-stance hunch over when they're in the offensive zone watching the puck.

I liked Marincin and Davidson's game. Solid defensively with quick, simple transitions out of the zone. Showed some good offensive instincts in the Griffins zone too. Marincin had a pretty sweet stretch pass to put Harski on a breakaway.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 11:29 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Who won?

Mowzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 11:34 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie View Post
who won?
okc 4-1. Seems like the vets got it done tonight. Eager with 1 goal, Green with 1g, Cheechoo with 1g, 1a.

This 2-3-2 set up is screwy. Such an advantage to the road team if they can get a split in the first 2.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 11:34 PM
doulos

Barons did 4-1

doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:43 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
okc 4-1. Seems like the vets got it done tonight. Eager with 1 goal, Green with 1g, Cheechoo with 1g, 1a.

This 2-3-2 set up is screwy. Such an advantage to the road team if they can get a split in the first 2.
It is, but travel is an issue in the AHL. The can't afford to do a 2-2-1-1-1 if they are moving around by bus.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:46 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Hopefully then can win all three at home.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 09:52 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post

I was just going to ask how the hell Eager has 58 minutes in PIMS in the playoffs, but I assume he got a bunch for this?

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 10:01 AM
bewbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
It's great that the team is having a very successful run. I'm still not over joyed with the makeup of the team however re true prospects vs good career minor leaguers.
"True prospects" are playing huge roles on this team. At a minimum, you've got Harti, Davidson, Rajala, Marincin, and Lander (before he got hurt) that look like they'll be NHL caliber guys, all of whom are playing big minutes and playing really well. Arcobello, Fedun, Cornet, Stretch, and Pitlick all have an outside shot at the NHL (in my opinion) and all are big parts as well. That's a pretty typical breakdown for a good AHL team.

Game last night was more or less domination for almost the whole game. GR couldn't move through the NZ effectively (great backchecking and smart pinches by the D) and they only had a couple of minutes of sustained pressure the whole game. The shot total is a little misleading, I bet half of their shots were softies from outside. The Barons are blocking shots like crazy (on one PP I counted 6 blocks, plus two more shots that went wide because the lane was clogged) and the team defense has been outstanding.

Oilers fans should be pretty pleased to hear that Davidson and Marincin are playing superb hockey right now. Davidson in particular has turned into a legit 1/2 guy in the AHL, he was great at both ends last night (his assist on Cornet's goal was a beauty). Marincin is starting to make better decisions and he's really starting to use his size/reach more effectively. Our two ECHL guys (Stretch and Hotham) have also both been pretty awesome. Stretch might be worth a two-way deal if the Oilers are in the market for a two-way center.

Hope that House will be ok. I didn't see Grant's hit but it was nice to see Eager step up. He had his best game (well, half game) that I've seen him play last night, was actually hitting people and forechecking and whatnot. Great goal too.

bewbies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 10:16 AM
RKD

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I was just going to ask how the hell Eager has 58 minutes in PIMS in the playoffs, but I assume he got a bunch for this?
Seventeen minutes in penalties assessed (standard 2+5+10 for instigating and fighting), plus a game misconduct for abuse of the officials. Grant was not penalized for the hit.

05-30-2013, 10:40 AM
bewbies

It looks like GR is getting a huge boost: Nyquist and Joakim Andersson just got reassigned.

Hopefully they're tired and beat up from the Chi series....

bewbies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 10:43 AM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Griffins get Andersson & Nyquist from DRW.

Trvp Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 12:27 PM
Baronsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewbies View Post
"True prospects" are playing huge roles on this team. At a minimum, you've got Harti, Davidson, Rajala, Marincin, and Lander (before he got hurt) that look like they'll be NHL caliber guys, all of whom are playing big minutes and playing really well. Arcobello, Fedun, Cornet, Stretch, and Pitlick all have an outside shot at the NHL (in my opinion) and all are big parts as well. That's a pretty typical breakdown for a good AHL team.

Game last night was more or less domination for almost the whole game. GR couldn't move through the NZ effectively (great backchecking and smart pinches by the D) and they only had a couple of minutes of sustained pressure the whole game. The shot total is a little misleading, I bet half of their shots were softies from outside. The Barons are blocking shots like crazy (on one PP I counted 6 blocks, plus two more shots that went wide because the lane was clogged) and the team defense has been outstanding.

Oilers fans should be pretty pleased to hear that Davidson and Marincin are playing superb hockey right now. Davidson in particular has turned into a legit 1/2 guy in the AHL, he was great at both ends last night (his assist on Cornet's goal was a beauty). Marincin is starting to make better decisions and he's really starting to use his size/reach more effectively. Our two ECHL guys (Stretch and Hotham) have also both been pretty awesome. Stretch might be worth a two-way deal if the Oilers are in the market for a two-way center.

Hope that House will be ok. I didn't see Grant's hit but it was nice to see Eager step up. He had his best game (well, half game) that I've seen him play last night, was actually hitting people and forechecking and whatnot. Great goal too.
Davidson has had a good postseason, but he still isn't a top pairing guy in the AHL, IMO. He's behind Fedun, Marincin, Jones on the depth chart. You're undervaluing Fedun, Marincin, & Jones by a fair bit. Fedun has improved immensely over the season, and is arguably the most NHL ready on the team. The knock on him early in the season was his skating and foot speed after the injury but he seems to have caught his stride & is peaking right now.

Baronsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewbies View Post

Harti is a true prospect for lower lines. Rajala is not true prospect, Marincin and lander are true prospects.

Then we have the the rest of the team loaded with guys like Arcobello, Green, stretch, cheeco, pitlick is a prospect but he is a 3rd liner I assume? And moved to the wing?

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:26 PM
Baronsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Harti is a true prospect for lower lines. Rajala is not true prospect, Marincin and lander are true prospects.

Then we have the the rest of the team loaded with guys like Arcobello, Green, stretch, cheeco, pitlick is a prospect but he is a 3rd liner I assume? And moved to the wing?
Rajala's play this season definitely makes him a worthy prospect. It's criminal to not think so. Just because he is a small skilled forward and the Oilers have plenty of them, does not mean he is not a "true prospect".

Baronsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:36 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trvp Lord View Post
Griffins get Andersson & Nyquist from DRW.
/series

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:38 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

There's a ton of good potential NHL depth players on the Barons IMO. Marincin is the only one with true NHL stud potential, but Harti, Lander, Pitlick, Rajala, Davidson and Fedun could all be good bottom players for the Oilers pretty soon.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:45 PM
Hockey Nightmare
Ex-hockey fan

What this org needs most is good depth guys who compete physically every night while potting in a few here and there, not high end talent. Maybe OKC has these guys.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 03:47 PM
OiledUp

I think Brandon Davidson is going to surprise a lot of people with how far he'll go in his career. Amazing drive and ability to constantly improve his game mixed with good physical tools and an underrated offensive potential. A lot to like.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 03:57 PM
Toydarian

If there is one thing this franchise seems to have been able to accomplish, it's building a competitive and well run farm system. It isn't only on the Oilers, as it appears the OKC side of ownership are doing a tremendous job as well. I wonder when or if it will start to translate to the big club. It might not be for a few years, but in the long run, it certainly won't hurt the Oilers.

It's reassuring to see some prospects show a lot of promise even though they aren't really the ones we expected.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:12 PM
runeeres
Seasons in the Abyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
I think Brandon Davidson is going to surprise a lot of people with how far he'll go in his career. Amazing drive and ability to constantly improve his game mixed with good physical tools and an underrated offensive potential. A lot to like.
He had a great assist last night as well. Set up Cornet beautifully.

runeeres is online now   Reply With Quote