HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): 2013 Regular Season

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml87 View Post
2 games under .500

Yeah! Go mediocrity!
At least they're showing consistency!....right.....*******...

Old
05-29-2013, 03:15 PM
Hollywood Couturier
Eagles That Quack

Michael Young has left the team and placed on the bereavement list (serious illness or death in his (or his spouse's) immediate family) and has to miss a minimum of 3 games and a maximum of 7.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
05-29-2013, 03:58 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Can we get Luca Brasi to force the Marlins to give us Stanton?
No, Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes.

Old
05-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Egg Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
No, Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes.
Wow, well done.

05-29-2013, 04:49 PM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
Michael Young has left the team and placed on the bereavement list (serious illness or death in his (or his spouse's) immediate family) and has to miss a minimum of 3 games and a maximum of 7.
Cesar Hernandez called up to replace him. Chances Charlie gives him a chance to start? I'd say 0.3%

Old
05-29-2013, 06:28 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Wow, well done.
Hard to miss that one... the movie quote equivalent of an empty netter.

Old
05-29-2013, 07:44 PM
BlameUtley
When all else fails

vCash: 230
Didnt realize Dom Brown already has 12 home runs, he didnt show much power last year when he was called up. But at the same time he isnt walking close to what he was a year ago.

Old
05-29-2013, 08:54 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Is Dom Brown turning into a monster before our eyes? Dude is on fire.

Old
05-29-2013, 08:58 PM
jml87

He's more aggressive and it's leading to more power. 13 home runs now. At the very least Brown has been finally given legit playing time and is starting to blossom into a great player.

Old
05-29-2013, 09:09 PM
BlameUtley
When all else fails

He was once the third rated prospect in baseball behind Trout and Harper, so I guess he there was a reason for that . He is trending on twitter .

Old
05-29-2013, 09:15 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

He used to have a hole in his swing big enough to drive a truck through. He's really tightened that up. Fielding still needs a little work looks like.

Old
05-29-2013, 09:16 PM
Mr Black
Flyers-76ers-Eagles

vCash: 50
I'm happy to see Brown is playing well. I'm very hard on the guy because of my high expectations of him. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Old
05-29-2013, 09:17 PM
BlameUtley
When all else fails

Forgot to mention HE STILL CANT FIELD!

Old
05-29-2013, 09:24 PM
jml87

Quote:
He used to have a hole in his swing big enough to drive a truck through. He's really tightened that up. Fielding still needs a little work looks like.
Considering he's a natural Right Fielder, I think he's done pretty well. What made Brown originally such a highly touted prospect was all his tools. Great throwing arm, power, speed, and plate discipline. However, the Phillies jerked him around for years when he should've been up playing in place of Ibanez years ago. He's finally getting significant time and it's paying off. That's what you are supposed to do with prospects. Bring them up and let them work out the kinks. The fact that it took so long to do this is just another thing that pisses me off about the Phillies management.

Old
05-29-2013, 09:37 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Considering he's a natural Right Fielder, I think he's done pretty well. What made Brown originally such a highly touted prospect was all his tools. Great throwing arm, power, speed, and plate discipline. However, the Phillies jerked him around for years when he should've been up playing in place of Ibanez years ago. He's finally getting significant time and it's paying off. That's what you are supposed to do with prospects. Bring them up and let them work out the kinks. The fact that it took so long to do this is just another thing that pisses me off about the Phillies management.
Given that the Phillies were legitimate WS contenders I don't know that they could have given him significant playing time. Ibanez was streaky but he could get hot and carry the team for stretches and he was a reliable fielder. I honestly had doubts that Brown would ever consistently hit big league pitching and I don't think you can make the kind of adjustments to your swing he needed to make when you're expected to produce on a daily basis.

Old
05-29-2013, 11:35 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 1175
Down at the game. Dom Brown is in full on beast mode.

05-30-2013, 12:27 AM
jml87

Quote:
Given that the Phillies were legitimate WS contenders I don't know that they could have given him significant playing time. Ibanez was streaky but he could get hot and carry the team for stretches and he was a reliable fielder. I honestly had doubts that Brown would ever consistently hit big league pitching and I don't think you can make the kind of adjustments to your swing he needed to make when you're expected to produce on a daily basis.
Wouldn't bringing up a young guy when he was amongst such great players be better than bringing him up when there's no one else in the lineup that is producing? Ibanez by 2011 was awful, he had streaks but so does every baseball player. And his fielding was serviceable. It wasn't any better than Dom is now.

Brown was injured to start the 2011 season but he was never given a chance to succeed after that. He posted subpar numbers and Charlie played Francisco instead until they traded for Pence. Until this year, he hadn't even been given half a season of games to play. Then this year, they sign the complete waste of space, Delmon Young, instead of putting Brown in right where he belongs.

Not every guy is going to come up and be Bryce Harper. Chase Utley in his first year, hit .239. His second year, he hit .266. It wasn't until 2005 when he played every day that he turned into a superstar. I've been begging for the Phillies to give this guy a regular spot and when they finally do, he starts hitting. Crazy. The Phillies have to be forced into using their young guys. Durbin and Valdez over Stutes and DeFratus is another example. Bringing up Martinez when Hernandez or Ruf would've made more sense. We know what we get from these other guys. The younger guys can reenergize a team but the Phillies still live 5 years in the past. It's ********, especially since the Phillies won in 2008 on the backs of their core homegrown players.

Old
05-30-2013, 04:55 AM
FlyersFan61290

Hope Brown can keep this up for a while longer, it'll help his confidence down the road when he inevitably gets in a cold streak to know what he can do offensively. Plus, maybe the Phillies could actually get over .500 with him playing this well.

Old
05-30-2013, 09:14 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
Didnt realize Dom Brown already has 12 home runs, he didnt show much power last year when he was called up. But at the same time he isnt walking close to what he was a year ago.
He broke his hamate bone a couple years ago which is a known power sapping injury.

Old
05-30-2013, 09:23 AM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Wouldn't bringing up a young guy when he was amongst such great players be better than bringing him up when there's no one else in the lineup that is producing? Ibanez by 2011 was awful, he had streaks but so does every baseball player. And his fielding was serviceable. It wasn't any better than Dom is now.

Brown was injured to start the 2011 season but he was never given a chance to succeed after that. He posted subpar numbers and Charlie played Francisco instead until they traded for Pence. Until this year, he hadn't even been given half a season of games to play. Then this year, they sign the complete waste of space, Delmon Young, instead of putting Brown in right where he belongs.

Not every guy is going to come up and be Bryce Harper. Chase Utley in his first year, hit .239. His second year, he hit .266. It wasn't until 2005 when he played every day that he turned into a superstar. I've been begging for the Phillies to give this guy a regular spot and when they finally do, he starts hitting. Crazy. The Phillies have to be forced into using their young guys. Durbin and Valdez over Stutes and DeFratus is another example. Bringing up Martinez when Hernandez or Ruf would've made more sense. We know what we get from these other guys. The younger guys can reenergize a team but the Phillies still live 5 years in the past. It's ********, especially since the Phillies won in 2008 on the backs of their core homegrown players.
Up until last year the Phillies were serious contenders. I don't think they could really have afforded to have Brown in the lineup on a regular basis, given the way he was playing (hitting and fielding). Baseball is one sport where I'm fine with being patient with young players. Utley didn't really get a regular job with the big club until he was about the age Brown is now. I think Howard was even older.

Big league pitching is a completely different beast and if you rush a guy he can develop bad habits that are really hard to break. And Brown already had some bad habits that needed to be corrected. Even last year, I don't know if he would have helped the team significantly, and it still might have hurt his development. If there's one thing that Uncle Charlie knows it's hitting, and I'm sure if he thought Brown was ready they would have kept him up.

Old
05-30-2013, 10:05 AM
jml87

Quote:
Up until last year the Phillies were serious contenders. I don't think they could really have afforded to have Brown in the lineup on a regular basis, given the way he was playing (hitting and fielding). Baseball is one sport where I'm fine with being patient with young players. Utley didn't really get a regular job with the big club until he was about the age Brown is now. I think Howard was even older.

Big league pitching is a completely different beast and if you rush a guy he can develop bad habits that are really hard to break. And Brown already had some bad habits that needed to be corrected. Even last year, I don't know if he would have helped the team significantly, and it still might have hurt his development. If there's one thing that Uncle Charlie knows it's hitting, and I'm sure if he thought Brown was ready they would have kept him up.
Then why, across the league, are there so many guys up here before the age of 25? Giancarlo Stanton, Bryce Harper, Mike Trout, Matt Harvey, Freddie Freeman, Jason Heyward, Madison Bumgarner, Stephen Strasburg, Clayton Kershaw, Matt Moore and on and on and on. All these players came up, some on contending teams, and they are thriving despite not being of 'proper' age. You can say he had a hole in his swing but the only thing really holding Brown back was his lack of regular playing time.

And I'm tired of Charlie being called a hitting guru. If he was so great at hitting he'd figure out why his team hasn't touched the top 10 offenses in 3 years. He'd figure out why Ryan Howard has become a black hole at the plate. The only thing his players do is swing at everything that comes close to the plate and try to hit a homerun. It's working out for Dom because he's actually a good hitter, but for all the guys who are average to below average, it's been awful.

Old
05-30-2013, 10:23 AM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Then why, across the league, are there so many guys up here before the age of 25? Giancarlo Stanton, Bryce Harper, Mike Trout, Matt Harvey, Freddie Freeman, Jason Heyward, Madison Bumgarner, Stephen Strasburg, Clayton Kershaw, Matt Moore and on and on and on. All these players came up, some on contending teams, and they are thriving despite not being of 'proper' age. You can say he had a hole in his swing but the only thing really holding Brown back was his lack of regular playing time.

And I'm tired of Charlie being called a hitting guru. If he was so great at hitting he'd figure out why his team hasn't touched the top 10 offenses in 3 years. He'd figure out why Ryan Howard has become a black hole at the plate. The only thing his players do is swing at everything that comes close to the plate and try to hit a homerun. It's working out for Dom because he's actually a good hitter, but for all the guys who are average to below average, it's been awful.
Well, I'll turn that around and ask why did Brown not get up to the bigs until now? Until now he didn't look anything like Heyward or Trout or Harper, etc. He looked bad. He struggled. Howard looked WAY better in his rookie year than Brown has looked up until now. Howard was also tearing it up in the minors, which Brown didn't do. The only reason Howard wasn't up sooner was because of Thome. Brown on the other hand had nobody blocking his path and he still couldn't stick.

Interesting article relating to this from Marcus Hayes:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/..._Triple_A.html

"Victorino teamed with Ryan Howard and Chase Utley to provide the impetus that pushed the Phillies to the National League East title five seasons in a row and to the World Series in 2008 and 2009. All three are examples of why time spent in Triple A is invaluable. Brown just now is outgrowing the organization's mistakes in promoting him too quickly."

Old
05-30-2013, 11:07 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Well, I'll turn that around and ask why did Brown not get up to the bigs until now? Until now he didn't look anything like Heyward or Trout or Harper, etc. He looked bad. He struggled. Howard looked WAY better in his rookie year than Brown has looked up until now. Howard was also tearing it up in the minors, which Brown didn't do. The only reason Howard wasn't up sooner was because of Thome. Brown on the other hand had nobody blocking his path and he still couldn't stick.

Interesting article relating to this from Marcus Hayes:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/..._Triple_A.html

"Victorino teamed with Ryan Howard and Chase Utley to provide the impetus that pushed the Phillies to the National League East title five seasons in a row and to the World Series in 2008 and 2009. All three are examples of why time spent in Triple A is invaluable. Brown just now is outgrowing the organization's mistakes in promoting him too quickly."
Dom Brown was tearing up the minors until they started bringing him up and sending him down. In AA Trout hit .326/.414/.544, Brown .318/.391/.602. In AAA Trout: .403/.467/.623, Brown: .346/.390/.561.

Obviously Trout is a better player, and he put those numbers up at a younger age, but Brown was playing very well. His minor numbers were far better than Harper's (who granted was much younger) not as good as Heyward's, but then again Heyward hasn't looked that great since he started in the majors honestly.

In 2011 they sent Brown down after a month where he hit .298 with a .398 OBP, in favor of Ibanez who had an under .300 OBP the rest of the year.

Old
05-30-2013, 12:48 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Dom Brown was tearing up the minors until they started bringing him up and sending him down. In AA Trout hit .326/.414/.544, Brown .318/.391/.602. In AAA Trout: .403/.467/.623, Brown: .346/.390/.561.

Obviously Trout is a better player, and he put those numbers up at a younger age, but Brown was playing very well. His minor numbers were far better than Harper's (who granted was much younger) not as good as Heyward's, but then again Heyward hasn't looked that great since he started in the majors honestly.

In 2011 they sent Brown down after a month where he hit .298 with a .398 OBP, in favor of Ibanez who had an under .300 OBP the rest of the year.
In 2011 the Phillies had the best record in baseball. Brown hit .245 with 5 HR in 56 games. Why would they need him? He simply would not have gotten the playing time because he hadn't shown that he could hold down a spot in the lineup. In that situation, when the expectation is to win, or at least get to, the WS it makes sense to go with the veteran player.

I would say the proof is in the way he's hitting right now. He appears to have benefitted from the time in the minors. There's just no reason to believe that giving him a regular job sooner would have benefitted either him or the team. And it may very well have hurt him. When he first came up it was obvious that he had talent but was raw. I didn't even realize until I just looked it up, but he was taken in the 20th round of the draft. And you want to compare him to Harper who was 1st overall? Trout who was taken 25th overall? Heyward who was 14th overall?

Just because a lot of people soured on Ibanez (and I know they did, with some reason at least) doesn't mean you rush a guy to the majors because you think that someday he may be a star. He should have to prove that he belongs first, and I don't think Brown did that.

Old
05-30-2013, 01:00 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 1175
Quote:
In 2011 the Phillies had the best record in baseball. Brown hit .245 with 5 HR in 56 games. Why would they need him? He simply would not have gotten the playing time because he hadn't shown that he could hold down a spot in the lineup. In that situation, when the expectation is to win, or at least get to, the WS it makes sense to go with the veteran player.

I would say the proof is in the way he's hitting right now. He appears to have benefitted from the time in the minors. There's just no reason to believe that giving him a regular job sooner would have benefitted either him or the team. And it may very well have hurt him. When he first came up it was obvious that he had talent but was raw. I didn't even realize until I just looked it up, but he was taken in the 20th round of the draft. And you want to compare him to Harper who was 1st overall? Trout who was taken 25th overall? Heyward who was 14th overall?

Just because a lot of people soured on Ibanez (and I know they did, with some reason at least) doesn't mean you rush a guy to the majors because you think that someday he may be a star. He should have to prove that he belongs first, and I don't think Brown did that.
I like the way you laid this out. I think Brown is turning a corner right now right in front of our eyes. So exciting!

Closed Thread