HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"The best team (talent wise), since I've been here" - Sheldon Souray

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-06-2006, 01:44 AM
  #1
Habs4Lyfe
Drive for 25
 
Habs4Lyfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mississauga
Country: India
Posts: 1,550
vCash: 500
"The best team (talent wise), since I've been here" - Sheldon Souray

http://rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/214442.html

Let's Hope He's Right!!!

GO HABS GO!

Habs4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 02:20 AM
  #2
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,654
vCash: 500
I'll be a little cocky, why not!!
I'm quite sure he's right, and I'd bet all my money on it!! (not that I have a lot!).

Souray came to the Habs in what? Was it 2000 or 2001?
This '06-07 team is also the best team we've had not only since Souray's arrival but I think since 1993. (I hope so!). Or maybe that will happen when Carey Price will be ready to be our #1 goalie (with all due respect to our calm, excellent Huet).

It all started with Souray's arrival and then great drafting (Komisarek, Higgins...).

Go Habs Go

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 05:24 AM
  #3
!nkubus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Laval, QC
Posts: 870
vCash: 500
Me too thinks that this is the best team we have since 1993. The chemistry is good, the talent is there. The new rookies from last year and this year are down right amazing. Our "new" coach is THE man of the situation. Habs are goanna be a big surprise this year . Jacques Demers is right Montreal will finish 5th of the Association (I was predicting this before I've heard of Dermers comments)

Go : GO

!nkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 05:33 AM
  #4
David_99
Registered User
 
David_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Moncton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,760
vCash: 500
Best team since 1993, hmmm....

1993 - Captain Carbonneau, A. Kirk Muller
2006 - Coach Carbonneau, A. Coach Kirk Muller

Coincidence?

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 05:40 AM
  #5
!nkubus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Laval, QC
Posts: 870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Best team since 1993, hmmm....

1993 - Captain Carbonneau, A. Kirk Muller
2006 - Coach Carbonneau, A. Coach Kirk Muller

Coincidence?
is comming, I can feel it

!nkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 06:15 AM
  #6
Marksman
Registered User
 
Marksman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,628
vCash: 500
This comment sounds a bit ironic to me as I see Souray himself as the most likely candidate to be shown out next summer.

Looking at left side of our defences - Bouillon is already signed long term and Markov is 1st priority which leaves third spot between Souray, Niinimaa or some other UFA defender out there.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 06:17 AM
  #7
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
This comment sounds a bit ironic to me as I see Souray himself as the most likely candidate to be shown out next summer.

Looking at left side of our defences - Bouillon is already signed long term and Markov is 1st priority which leaves third spot between Souray, Niinimaa or some other UFA defender out there.
That doesn't tell me Souray's most likely to be out. It tells me Niinimaa is.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 06:56 AM
  #8
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,620
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
It would be hard to say it is not. Since he has been here, the Habs have had some very dismal teams. I really think that we are on a good upswing and the goal of a cup in 2009 is very realistic.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 06:59 AM
  #9
Marksman
Registered User
 
Marksman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
That doesn't tell me Souray's most likely to be out. It tells me Niinimaa is.
A lot can happen in a season, Souray better not get hurt.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 07:26 AM
  #10
FisherKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 1,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
This comment sounds a bit ironic to me as I see Souray himself as the most likely candidate to be shown out next summer.

Looking at left side of our defences - Bouillon is already signed long term and Markov is 1st priority which leaves third spot between Souray, Niinimaa or some other UFA defender out there.
Well, not to "put words in your mouth" Marksman, but you seem to be implying that Bouillon is higher on the D depth chart than Souray. Not sure I would agree with that, although in the "New" NHL, it might be. Don't get me wrong, I like Bouillon, but I think a lot will depend on whether Souray actually WANTS to stay in Montreal or be traded perhaps closer to where his daughter lives, which seems to be the feeling of many. I dunno, but I suspect that if Souray as UFA wants to stay in Montreal, the Habs will do everything they can to hang on to him. Yes, he has his weaknesses, especially defensively, but he still comes across to me as one of the real leaders on this team. Not too sure he'd be all that easy to replace, and I don't think Bouillon has the same leadership qualities - although if Komi blooms, he may have the "presence" on the ice of Souray and be able to fill the hole created by the departure of Souray (if indeed he does depart). Anyway, just my take on the situation. In any event, I think we're in for a great year.

Cheers.

FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 07:31 AM
  #11
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,264
vCash: 500
The thing I noted in the article is Carbo saying that both Perezhogin and Latendress will get powerplay time.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 07:45 AM
  #12
GoodKiwi
Registered User
 
GoodKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 11,880
vCash: 500
Only 10 more hours!

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 08:10 AM
  #13
Turbo
Registered User
 
Turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Greys section 325
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Best team since 1993, hmmm....

1993 - Captain Carbonneau, A. Kirk Muller
2006 - Coach Carbonneau, A. Coach Kirk Muller

Coincidence?

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 09:43 AM
  #14
Marksman
Registered User
 
Marksman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Finland
Posts: 3,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherKing View Post
Well, not to "put words in your mouth" Marksman, but you seem to be implying that Bouillon is higher on the D depth chart than Souray.
Not at all. Bouillon is a good number 5-6 defenceman for this team, even if slightly expensive with that contract. My purpose was only to hightlight theres only one spot left on the left side, I suppose I could have been a little clearer on that.

If Gainey found someone a bit more defensively reliable, better skating and durable replacement for Souray, I dont think he would be missed. We have some leadership in Rivet among our defencemen and Markov is our main PP quaterback anyhow. That third A could go to Komisarek, Higgins or Begin ... so it would be in good hands.


Last edited by Marksman: 10-06-2006 at 09:48 AM.
Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 09:50 AM
  #15
IcE ColD
Registered User
 
IcE ColD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vieux Port Inc.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,848
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Best team since 1993, hmmm....

1993 - Captain Carbonneau, A. Kirk Muller
2006 - Coach Carbonneau, A. Coach Kirk Muller

Coincidence?
I think not!!!

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 10:21 AM
  #16
Hockeymom67
Registered User
 
Hockeymom67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Best team since 1993, hmmm....

1993 - Captain Carbonneau, A. Kirk Muller
2006 - Coach Carbonneau, A. Coach Kirk Muller

Coincidence?

It`s called wishful thinking ...

Hockeymom67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 10:37 AM
  #17
Canadian_Brewtality
Registered User
 
Canadian_Brewtality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,992
vCash: 500
hockey players same the same stuff before every season.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 01:23 PM
  #18
Marchy79
Registered User
 
Marchy79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Barrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Sheldon is right on this comment... Reading some poolie books, showed under the radar we are... In all seriousness, the East is very competitve... But I think we are going to be a very tough team to beat.
We have a solidly built team this year. Talent is riddled throughout the organization and we are damn near bursting at the seams with young talent ready to bust loose.
Our forward lines are skilled, multifaceted, fast, and talented...
The defence is queitly on the upwards... Not many books reported the fact that Markov was flat out the Montreal Canadiens #1 defenceman... and played very capably as such and out record actually proved it? How about Souray as a steady 1(b)/2 LD option? He had a bit of an off seaosn last year... Personal problems IMO were a large part of it, as Souray played much better hockey down the stretch. To be honest I was looking forward to seeing Bubbles this year... However Niinima always is an interesting pick up... I am a firm believer that Niinima can and will rebound to be that solid defenceman he was in Philly and Edmonton. The Isles used him incorrectly, then He played injured in Dallas last year (for a portion of the season) and it affected his skating. Players in the Dallas camp (Robidas as one) said Niinima was looking pretty good in camp. I honestly believe Niinima could be a great trade by the end of the season.

On the Right side... The line of Dandenault, Komisarek, and Rivet are all solid NHL'ers at this point... Rivet had his best seaosn last year... He played some very intense effective 2-way hockey last year. which showed a glimpse of what Rivet wsa in the OHL He IMO is perfect for the #2 role on this club. He instills grit, leadership, tenacity, heart, hardwork, and some talent. I hope Rivet adds what he did last year, this year in Montreal.

Komisarek IMO is rounding out his game... I believe he'll be much more effective this year. I believe hes going to hit new heights in the development of his game this year... If he arrives, I believe we will have found the d-man to complement Markov and make a formidable duo in the NHL today...

Dandenault is getting more and more competent as well.. He was the player IMO who worked the hardest this offseason, and has always been a great transitive player... He was playing awesome hockey by the end of last year, and really upped his production down the stretch. I think hes going to be a much better d-man over the full term this year.

Markov - Komisarek
Souray - Rivet
Niinima - Dandenault
(Bouillon IR)
Streit

I honestly think were going to be allright heading in to this year... Many reporters mention that our defence is not up to par.. and whatever they like to think... IMO we are a whole lot stronger now than the last time these teams saw us... Players like Markov & Komi still are improving... Souray is just rounding out his peak, as is Rivet... Dandenault is a dedicated soldier out to prove the CH is forever stamped in his blood (I am loving his dedication ) ... And Niinima's psyched to be here, and looking to prove he can be a force in the NHL again, I like his odds considering he's joining a friendly face, and patriot Captain... Saku Koivu. His homecountries hero on ice.
Bubbles will hopefully comeback, and be the X-factor (along with Steit) in case of umfortunate mishaps... Bouillon is certainly a great addition with his transition game (important in the new NHL) and his bulldog fericity... He's going to have a tough time cracking the top 6 when he returns... That is a serious possibility. It all weighs on Janne Niinima, & honestly... I am totally hoping on a Janne turnaround.. I like Bubbles.. But a turnaround seaosn by Niinima, IMO makes us a solid darkhorse for a deep cup run this year, and a public outing as to how much talent this organization has actually mustered up...

more on forwards and goalies to come (hopefully )

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 01:47 PM
  #19
Koivu2001
Registered User
 
Koivu2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Ecuador
Posts: 581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
Sheldon is right on this comment... Reading some poolie books, showed under the radar we are... In all seriousness, the East is very competitve... But I think we are going to be a very tough team to beat.
We have a solidly built team this year. Talent is riddled throughout the organization and we are damn near bursting at the seams with young talent ready to bust loose.
Our forward lines are skilled, multifaceted, fast, and talented...
The defence is queitly on the upwards... Not many books reported the fact that Markov was flat out the Montreal Canadiens #1 defenceman... and played very capably as such and out record actually proved it? How about Souray as a steady 1(b)/2 LD option? He had a bit of an off seaosn last year... Personal problems IMO were a large part of it, as Souray played much better hockey down the stretch. To be honest I was looking forward to seeing Bubbles this year... However Niinima always is an interesting pick up... I am a firm believer that Niinima can and will rebound to be that solid defenceman he was in Philly and Edmonton. The Isles used him incorrectly, then He played injured in Dallas last year (for a portion of the season) and it affected his skating. Players in the Dallas camp (Robidas as one) said Niinima was looking pretty good in camp. I honestly believe Niinima could be a great trade by the end of the season.

On the Right side... The line of Dandenault, Komisarek, and Rivet are all solid NHL'ers at this point... Rivet had his best seaosn last year... He played some very intense effective 2-way hockey last year. which showed a glimpse of what Rivet wsa in the OHL He IMO is perfect for the #2 role on this club. He instills grit, leadership, tenacity, heart, hardwork, and some talent. I hope Rivet adds what he did last year, this year in Montreal.

Komisarek IMO is rounding out his game... I believe he'll be much more effective this year. I believe hes going to hit new heights in the development of his game this year... If he arrives, I believe we will have found the d-man to complement Markov and make a formidable duo in the NHL today...

Dandenault is getting more and more competent as well.. He was the player IMO who worked the hardest this offseason, and has always been a great transitive player... He was playing awesome hockey by the end of last year, and really upped his production down the stretch. I think hes going to be a much better d-man over the full term this year.

Markov - Komisarek
Souray - Rivet
Niinima - Dandenault
(Bouillon IR)
Streit

I honestly think were going to be allright heading in to this year... Many reporters mention that our defence is not up to par.. and whatever they like to think... IMO we are a whole lot stronger now than the last time these teams saw us... Players like Markov & Komi still are improving... Souray is just rounding out his peak, as is Rivet... Dandenault is a dedicated soldier out to prove the CH is forever stamped in his blood (I am loving his dedication ) ... And Niinima's psyched to be here, and looking to prove he can be a force in the NHL again, I like his odds considering he's joining a friendly face, and patriot Captain... Saku Koivu. His homecountries hero on ice.
Bubbles will hopefully comeback, and be the X-factor (along with Steit) in case of umfortunate mishaps... Bouillon is certainly a great addition with his transition game (important in the new NHL) and his bulldog fericity... He's going to have a tough time cracking the top 6 when he returns... That is a serious possibility. It all weighs on Janne Niinima, & honestly... I am totally hoping on a Janne turnaround.. I like Bubbles.. But a turnaround seaosn by Niinima, IMO makes us a solid darkhorse for a deep cup run this year, and a public outing as to how much talent this organization has actually mustered up...

more on forwards and goalies to come (hopefully )

Koivu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 01:55 PM
  #20
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,670
vCash: 500
Do we honestly have to make a thread about every single quote a habs player makes? Maybe the boards would crash less if we just read them on RDS instead of posting them everytime a player spoke.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 01:56 PM
  #21
The Kingslayer
Registered User
 
The Kingslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Yuck horse piss!
Country: Cambodia
Posts: 26,329
vCash: 50
Was this statement made before or after Ribiero left?

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 02:57 PM
  #22
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Do we honestly have to make a thread about every single quote a habs player makes? Maybe the boards would crash less if we just read them on RDS instead of posting them everytime a player spoke.
That's a weird statement considering this is a discussions forum..

So what do you think Shab? Is this the most talented team since 2000?

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 03:16 PM
  #23
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 24,295
vCash: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim View Post
Was this statement made before or after Ribiero left?
After.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 03:29 PM
  #24
Drive425
Registered User
 
Drive425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St Louis Du Haha
Country: Malta
Posts: 2,079
vCash: 500
I think we have excellent potential this season. The 2 guys between the pipes are solid nothing spectacular but solid, Roy was better in 93. The defence is pretty comparable to the 6 guys we had in 1993. The wingers are imho better then 93 but we are weaker down the middle now. Needless to say it will be an interesting season. I hope the habs stuff it down all these Toronto media personalities throats saying we are going to miss the playoffs and we are too soft...blah blah blah.

Go Habs Go

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 03:30 PM
  #25
pavlako11
Registered User
 
pavlako11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Greece
Posts: 709
vCash: 500
Well I'd find it pretty hard to disagree.

We've plugged the holes here and there, one thing's for sure that expectations are high.

pavlako11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.