HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Draft Thread Part 2: Bark to the Future

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2013, 09:33 AM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

vCash: 500
budish-barkov-leipsic

Old
05-30-2013, 09:51 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
Who exactly did Barkov play against while the lockout was happening? I would be curious as to who and what "holding his own" meant. Or are we just spewing more generalities in hopes posters take it as gospel?
Played against many NHL-players but he had to face team which had Mikko Koivu, Lauri Korpikoski, Kevin Shattenkirk and Alec Martinez once and was MVP in that game despite playing against NHL-line scored 2 goals against them. Other game he had to face Jussi Jokinen, Kyle Turris and Jason Demers. Barkov assisted his team all goals when they won 3-1. Basically took control of the game. Small samples but he actually played majority of the season against NHL players and it didn't stop him to produce and lead his team to wins.

Old
05-30-2013, 10:28 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Saw this in the business forum:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/likely-...6912--nhl.html
Quote:
[Seth] Jones, Nathan MacKinnon and Jonathan Drouin have signed deals to wear CCM equipment. They are widely considered by most scouting services as the top three prospects available for the NHL draft on June 30.
Each player will wear CCM's premium equipment as part of the deal, including the RBZ skate and RBZ Stage 2 stick set to launch July 19th.
Drouin, Jones and MacKinnon join Reebok-CCM's endorsees that already include Gabriel Landeskog, John Tavares, and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

Old
05-30-2013, 11:23 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
teams pay professional scouts to watch and assess young players. Message boards are filled with those who, for free, rip players they've never watched.
+1

Old
05-30-2013, 11:40 AM
maplepred

Random question,

So someone here said that nichushkin didn't play against NHL players because when he 'made' the khl, the NHL players were already back to the NHL.
So my question is,

Barkov made the FEL right at the start of the season then and nichushkin wasn't good enough to make the khl right away?!

Does this speaks volumes about them or what's the deal with that?? I figured both were very highly regarded prospects coming into the season, how did nichushkin not make khl and barkov did make FEL right off the bat?

There were NHLers in FEL and khl, so that's not an excuse that he lost roster spot to NHL player, because barkov made it as I said.

Old
05-30-2013, 11:50 AM
herashak

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Random question,

So someone here said that nichushkin didn't play against NHL players because when he 'made' the khl, the NHL players were already back to the NHL.
So my question is,

Barkov made the FEL right at the start of the season then and nichushkin wasn't good enough to make the khl right away?!

Does this speaks volumes about them or what's the deal with that?? I figured both were very highly regarded prospects coming into the season, how did nichushkin not make khl and barkov did make FEL right off the bat?

There were NHLers in FEL and khl, so that's not an excuse that he lost roster spot to NHL player, because barkov made it as I said.
KHL is way better than the FEL. and dont young players not usually get much playing time in the KHL?

Old
05-30-2013, 11:56 AM
Byrddog

While true these guys did play against some NHL'er in Europe it is a different game in NA. The smaller sheet of ice is a big difference to pontificate any outplayed NHL players is short sighted. Now there will be opinions differing I know. But all We have to do is look at Craig Smith who played pretty well over there recently and can't produce squat in Nashville. That big sheet of ice makes some players look much better. Dang I sound like im a Leafs fan..... The one thing I do like about Euros is there work ethic and loyality in most cases. Will leave Radulov and a few others out of the conversation but most are far superior in work ethic and being prepared. one only has to look at Selanne the guy has not lost much and hes 42. If Barkov is the guy I hope he turns out to be a Selanne.

Old
05-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
While true these guys did play against some NHL'er in Europe it is a different game in NA. The smaller sheet of ice is a big difference to pontificate any outplayed NHL players is short sighted. Now there will be opinions differing I know. But all We have to do is look at Craig Smith who played pretty well over there recently and can't produce squat in Nashville. That big sheet of ice makes some players look much better. Dang I sound like im a Leafs fan..... The one thing I do like about Euros is there work ethic and loyality in most cases. Will leave Radulov and a few others out of the conversation but most are far superior in work ethic and being prepared. one only has to look at Selanne the guy has not lost much and hes 42. If Barkov is the guy I hope he turns out to be a Selanne.
Tappara, the team Barkov played for has a very similar rink size (SM-Liiga doesn't have a set size) ... it's 90 feet x 195 feet, unless they've changed it since then

Old
05-30-2013, 12:48 PM
Byrddog

Finnish rinks
Blues: 28 x 58 m
HIFK: 28 x 60 m
HPK: 30 x 58 m
Ilves: 28 x 60 m
Jokerit: 28 x 60 m
JYP: 28 x 60 m
Kärpät: 29,5 x 60 m
Lukko: 29 x 59 m
Pelicans: 28 x 58 m
SaiPa: 28,5 x 60 m
Tappara: 28 x 60 m
TPS: 30 x 58 m
Ässät: 28 x 58

Tappara is about 6ft shorter and 6ft wider than the standard NHL rink. The wider rinks do create more space in the zone which is a different game. It is kinda like 4 on 4 hockey in a NHL barn. More space allows for more offensive creativity and less defensive pressure. The difference in sizes must be a headache for players over there. Adjusting to a different size rink so often.

Old
05-30-2013, 12:49 PM
thomast

Quote:
This is pretty true but still do you see any player to face such a good competition this year? And when he is able to take away against team which has multiple NHL players is pretty special as 17 year old. But still it's different ice and players are not in full condition. But it is still special to see what Barkov was able to do even against NHL-line.

Craig smith played well because he was NHL player and had high status right away. He was playing PP and had +20TOI against weaker competition. Mikko Koivu had similar PPG as Craig Smith at lockout. It clicked very well to Smith. He played well at WC's too.

Old
05-30-2013, 12:54 PM
thomast

Quote:
Finnish rinks
Blues: 28 x 58 m
HIFK: 28 x 60 m
HPK: 30 x 58 m
Ilves: 28 x 60 m
Jokerit: 28 x 60 m
JYP: 28 x 60 m
Kärpät: 29,5 x 60 m
Lukko: 29 x 59 m
Pelicans: 28 x 58 m
SaiPa: 28,5 x 60 m
Tappara: 28 x 60 m
TPS: 30 x 58 m
Ässät: 28 x 58

Tappara is about 6ft shorter and 6ft wider than the standard NHL rink. The wider rinks do create more space in the zone which is a different game. It is kinda like 4 on 4 hockey in a NHL barn. More space allows for more offensive creativity and less defensive pressure. The difference in sizes must be a headache for players over there. Adjusting to a different size rink so often.
Just like CHL kids have to adjust to play against experienced, bigger, mistakefree, tougher mature defensemen and fowards. Barkov and some european prospect has already done that and Barkov has for 2 seasons. Every prospect have adjust and nearly everyone has some growing pains. Small rink should be even better to player like Barkov...

Old
05-30-2013, 01:02 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Just like CHL kids have to adjust to play against experienced, bigger, mistakefree, tougher mature defensemen and fowards. Barkov and some european prospect has already done that and Barkov has for 2 seasons. Every prospect have adjust and nearly everyone has some growing pains. Small rink should be even better to player like Barkov...
Guess we will see. Might want to give him a message to start heading over it will take a while since he walks on water.

Old
05-30-2013, 01:04 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Guess we will see. Might want to give him a message to start heading over it will take a while since he walks on water.
While Lindholm drowns!
Lmao!

Old
05-30-2013, 01:21 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Who are you hoping we take (aside from the other 3)?

Old
05-30-2013, 01:34 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Who are you hoping we take (aside from the other 3)?
I think byrddog just really really likes Lindholm, but I don't get why he wouldn't want barkov. Hence the primmadonna comment.

Barkov is hands down a better prospect than Lindholm brother, Lindholm is a great prospect, but barkov is amazing.
Time will tell

Old
05-30-2013, 01:37 PM
Loffer

vCash: 954
Calgray will be pleased to select whoever is left of the top6:

MacKinnon goes 1st overall
Drouin 2nd
Nichushkin 3rd
Barkov 4th
Jones 5th
Lindholm 6th

Old
05-30-2013, 02:01 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Can't see Jones falling that far, but if he does, I hope we take him.

Weber-Josi
Jones-Klein

is too good to pass up (unless we sign Streit).

Old
05-30-2013, 02:06 PM
Raymo
Burgers!

vCash: 895
Anyone who says that Barkov is a primadonna, should get their head examined. No one is more humble than him.

Also, his skating is not as bad as the typical opinion is, he has a very nice speed at SM-Liiga-level, and it will improve. (doh)

Last edited by Raymo: 05-30-2013 at 02:26 PM. Reason: moronic
Old
05-30-2013, 02:10 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Can't see Jones falling that far, but if he does, I hope we take him.

Weber-Josi
Jones-Klein

is too good to pass up (unless we sign Streit).
We have a franchise defenseman in weber, we have a franchise goalie in rinne but we won't win a cup because we can't score.
It's time to get a franchise forward now, if jones is still there at four, lets trade down one spot and still get one of the big game forwards plus something else on top of that.

Teams will pay.

But jones is going top three 100%

Old
05-30-2013, 02:58 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
Calgray will be pleased to select whoever is left of the top6:

MacKinnon goes 1st overall
Drouin 2nd
Nichushkin 3rd
Barkov 4th
Jones 5th
Lindholm 6th
If Jones is available at 4 Poile needs to start an auction. or else have already traded with Colorado

Old
05-30-2013, 03:03 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Byrddog is not a troll, as that implies he isnt a Preds fan and is just here to stir crap. His preds fan cred is not in doubt at all. But he is a crumudgeon. His avatar is spot on perfect.

Byrd has a condition that many Preds fans who have been here from the beginning develop... severe skepticiasis with Poile doubtamania.. we've had our hopes raised too many times with no payoff
And sometimes you get the trotzes.

Old
05-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Byrddog

As to the question who I think DP should take????? Well to be honest short of Jones nobody in this draft has me Giddy. I would prefer DP trade this pick and pick up a proven 30 goal scorer that is between 25 and 27 years old. I have watched this game longer than many here have been alive. Seen sure fire prospects fizzle and 7th rounders be gold. I also saw the Ford Pinto when it was new. Later it was found that a car hitting it in the ass caused it to explode. So yeah im skeptical very skeptical and I expect players that are paid millions partly from my pocket to produce. And to continue to read posts defending Craig Smith, Jordon Tootoo ect ect as invaluable to a team makes me want to hurl. Additionally to think a couple 17 year olds in the next couple years will turn this team into a cup contender is just as revolting to me. I have been called stupid simple minded and many just don't think I know anything about the game because I do not agree with them. I left this forum a same reason personel attacks mean nothing to me on the net frankley the vast majority that read this have no idea about my past short of 101st. But have just as much of a right to opinion then many pimplefaced "crummungions" that lable me. Im pretty sure there an ingnore button on this thing feel free to use it. But I will leave this place when I wish. I have not broken any forum rules that I know of.

As to the Barkov primidona statment it was a news article from Finland that I read it in. I have no idea if he is really but I reserve my opinion to question it. Just as I did with Radulov, Scott Walker, and others.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 05-30-2013 at 05:12 PM. Reason: quote
Old
05-30-2013, 04:57 PM
Hagged

Quote:
As to the Barkov primidona statment it was a news article from Finland that I read it in.
Any chance of linking the article? I'd really like to read it. Doubt that it was from Finland, but it will be nice to see anyway.

Old
05-30-2013, 04:58 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Wow that pretty much sums me up to a tee.

As to the question who I think DP should take????? Well to be honest short of Jones nobody in this draft has me Giddy. I would prefer DP trade this pick and pick up a proven 30 goal scorer that is between 25 and 27 years old. I have watched this game longer than many here have been alive. Seen sure fire prospects fizzle and 7th rounders be gold. I also saw the Ford Pinto when it was new. Later it was found that a car hitting it in the ass caused it to explode. So yeah im skeptical very skeptical and I expect players that are paid millions partly from my pocket to produce. And to continue to read posts defending Craig Smith, Jordon Tootoo ect ect as invaluable to a team makes me want to hurl. Additionally to think a couple 17 year olds in the next couple years will turn this team into a cup contender is just as revolting to me. I have been called stupid simple minded and many just don't think I know anything about the game because I do not agree with them. I left this forum a same reason personel attacks mean nothing to me on the net frankley the vast majority that read this have no idea about my past short of 101st. But have just as much of a right to opinion then many pimplefaced "crummungions" that lable me. Im pretty sure there an ingnore button on this thing feel free to use it. But I will leave this place when I wish. I have not broken any forum rules that I know of.

As to the Barkov primidona statment it was a news article from Finland that I read it in. I have no idea if he is really but I reserve my opinion to question it. Just as I did with Radulov, Scott Walker, and others.
Scott Walker?

Old
05-30-2013, 05:24 PM
PredaDORES
**** you Dale Tallon

Quote:
...what?

Closed Thread