HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Hershey (AHL) and Reading (ECHL) 2012-13 Season

Old
05-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Langway
Intangibles

vCash: 500
Given the quality of candidates available overall I'd be kind of surprised if it was Mann or Courville. I've seen former Bear Eric Veilleux mentioned and I think that's a strong option should he be interested. Perhaps his name being mentioned is solely the former player angle but he's a quality up-and-coming coach. As mentioned, there are a lot of experienced options available but I'd guess that alone is less important than someone that's intense and whose approach fits.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2013, 06:46 PM
bhigo59

Royals win again

Reading Royals win game 2 of the Kelly Cup Finals, 4-0 shutout for Riley Gill, Royals lead series 2-0. Game 3 Tuesdat Nite at Stockton.

bhigo59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 08:44 AM
Lefty9420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Given the quality of candidates available overall I'd be kind of surprised if it was Mann or Courville. I've seen former Bear Eric Veilleux mentioned and I think that's a strong option should he be interested. Perhaps his name being mentioned is solely the former player angle but he's a quality up-and-coming coach. As mentioned, there are a lot of experienced options available but I'd guess that alone is less important than someone that's intense and whose approach fits.
Ahhhh, the days of sitting in Veillux heaven in ther upper deck of the old barn. I miss those days. He could be an interesting choice. Has had success in the Q.

A buddy of mine also through out Brent Thompson, former Bear, with ECHL and AHL HC experience. Although he is an assistant for the Islanders now, so not sure he would want to come back to the A.

As for Kono, I have heard rumors or at least speculation that he could be headed Colorado as an assistant, given his ties to the organization. Prior to Pierre Lacroix being fired, I believed that 100% but they look to finally be moving away from the in the family mentality, so not sure that is as likely.

Either way some great choices, lots of candidates. Hershey is probably the most desirable minor league franchise. Play in front of 10,000 every night, very modern arena, strong parent club. Coaches will be coming out of the woodwoork for this job.

Lefty9420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 08:32 PM
Langway
Intangibles

@Panger40: In advance of #Preds announcing this: I am floored that Ass't Coach Peter Horachek has been fired today. He and Trotz have been great.

Another quality option should no NHL teams come calling. IINM current head coaching openings are in Colorado/Dallas and Buffalo needs an assistant or two. Phoenix may, too, depending on Tippett's contract getting renewed and I guess Vancouver could still fire Vigneault.

Old
05-21-2013, 11:30 PM
bhigo59

Reading wins again

Reading Royals win 3-1 tonite to take a 3-0 lead in the Kelly Cup Finals

Old
05-21-2013, 11:43 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhigo59 View Post
Reading Royals win 3-1 tonite to take a 3-0 lead in the Kelly Cup Finals
First Game 3 win they've had in this year's playoffs. I was nervous.

ChibiPooky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 12:18 AM
bhigo59

Reading Royals ECHL Champions

Royals win tonite 6-0, and win the series 4 games to 1. Goaltender Riley Gill MVP. Congrats to the entire organization.

:han dclap:

Old
05-26-2013, 12:43 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhigo59 View Post
Royals win tonite 6-0, and win the series 4 games to 1. Goaltender Riley Gill MVP. Congrats to the entire organization.

Woo! I thought Tifu had a real shot at MVP too, but with a shutout in the clincher, guess it had to go to Gill.

Old
05-26-2013, 02:03 PM
PredsFanFromla

Riley Gill Started the season for us in the SPHL,so I am glad that he won MVP and a Kelly Cup with the Reading Royals,was cheering for the royals all through the playoffs

PredsFanFromla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 10:07 PM
hb11xchamps

So Reading fans does Gill's success translate to the AHL or were his numbers inflated because of the team in front of him?

hb11xchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Langway
Intangibles

@CawlidgeHawkeyO: Kurt Kleinendorst has resigned from head coaching position at UAH. Cites passion for pro hockey as motivating force.

Definitely should be on Hershey's radar.

Old
05-29-2013, 03:39 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
So Reading fans does Gill's success translate to the AHL or were his numbers inflated because of the team in front of him?
That's interesting... I think he could replace Sabourin next year, assuming Neuvirth stays.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 05:08 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
That's interesting... I think he could replace Sabourin next year, assuming Neuvirth stays.
Meh. Wouldn't be great from an organizational depth standpoint (especially with Kostenko returning to Russia and if Soberg continues to play in Norway). Riley Gill shouldn't be the #4 on any NHL org's goalie depth chart. For as incredible as he was this year, he's put up much more pedestrian numbers through most of his ECHL career and his 3 AHL appearances were duds.

Could he be an AHL back-up? Potentially, on the right AHL team and in an organization that has an ECHL starter with NHL potential. Right now the Caps don't have that in the ECHL.

Mystlyfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Rumblick

Just spitballing, but:

1) If the Caps don't keep both goalies, I see them bringing in an established NHL veteran to be the backup. I think Grubauer gets one full season as the guy (and the #1 recall) in the "A" before they decide what to do with him.

2) If the Bears go away from Sabourin as the backup, they'll bring in an established guy to mentor and back up Grubs in Hershey. I can't see any of the guys from Reading moving up (though I saw very little of Reading this season).

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 06:02 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Meh. Wouldn't be great from an organizational depth standpoint (especially with Kostenko returning to Russia and if Soberg continues to play in Norway). Riley Gill shouldn't be the #4 on any NHL org's goalie depth chart. For as incredible as he was this year, he's put up much more pedestrian numbers through most of his ECHL career and his 3 AHL appearances were duds.

Could he be an AHL back-up? Potentially, on the right AHL team and in an organization that has an ECHL starter with NHL potential. Right now the Caps don't have that in the ECHL.
Talking about Kostenko, in a more recent interview Metallurg coach sounded far less confident that he will return. He also said that Kostenko WANTS to remain with the Caps org.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:46 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

A lot of Bears players are signing in Europe. I don't remember that from previous seasons. What's different?

Old
05-30-2013, 02:06 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
A lot of Bears players are signing in Europe. I don't remember that from previous seasons. What's different?
Money.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 02:12 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Money.
You mean there's more European money available to NA skaters? I mean the Bears have had top players before but I don't remember Europe being such an attractive option. Sjogren obviously went back home, but others like Taffe and now Potulny

Old
05-30-2013, 02:17 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
You mean there's more European money available to NA skaters?
Exactly.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 02:22 PM
Hockeyfrilla

Taffe is not coming to Sweden, family reasons club jus announced.

Hockeyfrilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Lefty9420

Goalie situation in HErshey will be interesting. If Neuvy doesn't get moved this summer he most likely gets moved at the deadline. I agree that Grubauer needs at least 1 year fulltime in the A before he can even think of moving up fulltime. If Sabourin leaves maybe they bring someone like Machesney back to back up and work with Grubauer.

Also Gill should not be an option for the Bears unless he is on a recall situation. Any player who starts the season in the SPHL does not make the jump to the A. Let's see how he does another year fulltime in Reading.

Lefty9420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 06:17 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

If Soberg jumps to NA, I wouldn't mind Gill as the back-up to Grubauer (with both Washington and Hershey keeping trade options open to bring in a goaltender in an injury situation).

Quote:
You mean there's more European money available to NA skaters? I mean the Bears have had top players before but I don't remember Europe being such an attractive option. Sjogren obviously went back home, but others like Taffe and now Potulny
Bourque did it a few years back. Potulny is kind of surprising, but I think he signed here under the impression he would be higher on the NHL depth chart than he was. And given that he was a 15G scorer in the NHL in the past, he had a decent argument for being ahead of, say, Keith Aucoin.

Old
05-31-2013, 03:43 AM
icing

Quote:
I don't know how much a guy like Taffe makes when playing in the AHL but in Sweden he would get about $35k - $45k per month, depending on which club he signes for and how desperate they are at that moment for his specific skill set. The money in Switzerland is about the same and a little bit less in Finland. In the KHL the money is a lot more obvously.

He signed with my home team LHC (Linköping) in the SEL but yesterday it was announced that he will not come becuase of family reasons - he was released from the contract. Anyone now what has happened?

Last edited by icing: 05-31-2013 at 03:49 AM.
icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 09:16 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by icing View Post
I don't know how much a guy like Taffe makes when playing in the AHL but in Sweden he would get about $35k - $45k per month, depending on which club he signes for and how desperate they are at that moment for his specific skill set. The money in Switzerland is about the same and a little bit less in Finland. In the KHL the money is a lot more obvously.

He signed with my home team LHC (Linköping) in the SEL but yesterday it was announced that he will not come becuase of family reasons - he was released from the contract. Anyone now what has happened?
His family probably didn't want to move to Sweden.

Old
06-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
If Soberg jumps to NA, I wouldn't mind Gill as the back-up to Grubauer (with both Washington and Hershey keeping trade options open to bring in a goaltender in an injury situation).
Looks like they've forfeited his rights by not signing Soberg. Not that it's overly surprising under the circumstances but what a crappy 2011 draft they had.