HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Impact Thread 15.0 - Not The "Jinxed Undefeated Season" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2013, 07:49 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

vCash: 500
What about Abidal? He's leaving Barcelona

Old
05-30-2013, 07:59 AM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumway2 View Post
Nice to win this, but they should consider combining the Canadian Championship and the U.S Open Cup. It's a bit ridiculous to have a cup competition with 4 teams.
I preferred when it was played like a mini-season. But I understand what you say however it would be too lazy by soccer canada if they just pick the highest seeded team in the mls

Old
05-30-2013, 08:22 AM
PyrettaBlaze

My internet was down all night so here's a delayed WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! ****ing LOVE this team!

05-30-2013, 09:14 AM
_vivelequebec_

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013%E2...ampions_League

Imagine a group of : Arabe Unido, Us (Montreal) and an other ****** team like ''Valencia'' (Ayiti chéri). Lol would be nice.

Old
05-30-2013, 09:15 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
http://soccerplus.ca/2013/05/29/matc...erait-italien/

AS Roma for the All Star Game.

AC Milan's website with a post about Nesta being Canadian champion. Nice.

http://www.acmilan.com/it/news/breaking_news_show/41537

Old
05-30-2013, 09:30 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

According to Frederic Lord, the Concacaf draw will be next Monday. Can't wait to see who we draw!

Old
05-30-2013, 09:31 AM
PyrettaBlaze

Sofiane Benzaza will be on TSN 690 in 5-10 mins!

Old
05-30-2013, 09:34 AM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
What about Abidal? He's leaving Barcelona
I don't like the idea of signing either box to box guys, target men, or fullbacks( which Adidal is). Those positions are easier to fill within North America, and are very reliant on athletic ability and enduring - ie: unless its a very offensive fullback, which Abidal is not.

I'd rather see additions in the form of players that do not exist in North America.
Box-to-box midfielders main role is to be a full field presence, and frankly whether its Bernier, Arnaud, it doesn't matter as long as he's good by MLS standards and can chip in offensively, defensively and help support the skilled players.

Fullbacks same thing. Athletic ability & pace are very important for these positions. These can be addressed within the realm of North American players.

Target man (ie: Wenger) same thing. These guys are useful if they can provide an aerial presence (which is mostly athletic), and do grunt work. Once again, address within North America.

Also Box-to-Box wingers should be dealt with inside North America. Ie: I would not get Christian Maggio from Napoli for example (well I would), but it isn't the best choice IMO.

I believe the positions that should be dealt with internationally are primarily:
1. Centrebacks - a huge part of our success is Nesta-Ferrari, and their effect on the whole team. Nesta I firmly believe helps the domestic defenders as well. The "consensus" best defender in the world, Thiago Silva, played with Nesta for a few seasons, and his performance steadily improved with Nesta.

An elite centre-back makes it very hard for MLS players, which lack creativity compared to Europeans to do as well. Even against the Whitecaps yesterday, Nesta made so many key plays.

2. Striker - If you can get an elite striker who is dynamic (ie: not a target man), like a Di Vaio who is great at finding channels, he will destroy MLS defense lines. Whether Henry, Di Vaio, getting those types of cerebral, skilled forwards is always a huge advantage.

3. Attacking Midfield/Crafty Winger - These don't necessarily need to DPs but should be international IMO. Ex: Felipe & Romero. These guys have so much skill, and add creativity to the offense and make it easy for Di Vaio,

4. Defensive Midfield - A good destroyer makes it extremely hard for opponents. A good one (like Ambrosini) or even Torsten Frings on TFC can really improve a team. When TFC had Frings they were actually half-decent.

IMO, if I'm building an MLS team, I add:
1 DP CB, 1 International Loaner CB
1 CDM DP
1 CAM DP, 1-2 Winger loaners internationally
1 ST DP

and then deal with the box-to-box and other roles in North America.

The most ideal pick-up for the impact right now is an attacking midfielder or destroyer (mediano).

Destroyers who might be feasible - Cambiasso, Ambrosini, Gattuso, Simone Perrotta, Christian Ledesma, Dejan Stankovic (Not Italian but lots of serie A experience, played with Nesta for a while - Lazio connection).

Attacking Midfielders: Stefano Mauri would be great - Lazio connection, Antonio Cassano (maybe not now, but in a few years - he would dismantle the MLS - his only issue is he may be a bad influence due to his propensity to party), Kaka (played with Nesta for 7-8 years)...outside chance.

If I had a choice I'd pick one of Mauri, Ambrosini, or Cambiasso.

I'd love Kaka, but I don't think he's ready to go down the MLS route yet.

Old
05-30-2013, 09:38 AM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
http://soccerplus.ca/2013/05/29/matc...erait-italien/

AS Roma for the All Star Game.

AC Milan's website with a post about Nesta being Canadian champion. Nice.

http://www.acmilan.com/it/news/breaking_news_show/41537
Di Vaio, Nesta, Ferrari, Pisanu, and Paponi all have an obligation now to go to KC regardless of whether they're picked and SCOUT. Starting with Totti. Lots of sweet talking. Imagine Totti & Di Vaio on attack - we wouldn't lose a game lol.
Definitely not feasible though since Totti played really well this year despite his age. Being considered by Prandelli for the 2014 World Cup.......Perrotta however could be available.

Old
05-30-2013, 09:43 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

LOL Gattuso and Stanko are done. Cambiasso would be a dream. He can play anywhere in the midfield and even play defence if we're short on bodies. But he still has a lot to give with a Euro club.

Old
05-30-2013, 10:39 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
Di Vaio, Nesta, Ferrari, Pisanu, and Paponi all have an obligation now to go to KC regardless of whether they're picked and SCOUT. Starting with Totti. Lots of sweet talking. Imagine Totti & Di Vaio on attack - we wouldn't lose a game lol.
Definitely not feasible though since Totti played really well this year despite his age. Being considered by Prandelli for the 2014 World Cup.......Perrotta however could be available.
Not surprising, AC Milan the classiest team in the World

Old
05-30-2013, 11:59 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

I'd rather a DP Mid then a DP striker.

Old
05-30-2013, 12:03 PM
Bud2790

Apparentyl NYRB have made an offer to Abidal.

Old
05-30-2013, 12:06 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Big shout out to the team for pulling through, but special recognition to Justin Mapp. Last year the guy couldn't go a full game without passing out and I think many of us wanted him off the team. He took a restructured contract and he's playing not only well, but even in the 90th minute he's still making runs down the side whenever he can. Good on h!

Old
05-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Not surprising, AC Milan the classiest team in the World
When your owner is Berlusconi I wouldn't put classy and AC Milan in the same sentence.

I'm a Juve fan.

Old
05-30-2013, 12:47 PM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
When your owner is Berlusconi I wouldn't put classy and AC Milan in the same sentence.

I'm a Juve fan.
me too...

Higuain.

Old
05-30-2013, 01:42 PM
Clark4Ever

Good luck in the CCL guys. I was very pleased to see the Sh-tecaps remain winless in this tournament!

Old
05-30-2013, 03:25 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Our clearest weakness is the fullback position. It's not that they are bad, Brovsky i actually like a lot. But when you start running into the elite dribblers--we caught a glimpse last night--we are not the best. There is a reason why Romero who pretty much a non-factor last night, it's because he was going up against Y.P. Lee, who is one of the best in the MLS (when he was PSV he was one of my favorite players on the team).

Fullback is probably the most difficult position on the field, especially if your style is to attack from the wings. You're heavily implicated in defending and attacking and need to run like crazy. If we can find an upgrade on Brovsky and or Iapachino, then i think we are really talking.

As far as the other positions, we could use another defensive midfielder, not a lot of depth behind Bernier, Warner is not the best.

In central defence maybe as well, but i dont think its a priority. Definitely not another attacking midfielder or forward, we score goals easily and we have a bunch of important injuries right now.

Old
05-30-2013, 04:03 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
Our clearest weakness is the fullback position. It's not that they are bad, Brovsky i actually like a lot. But when you start running into the elite dribblers--we caught a glimpse last night--we are not the best. There is a reason why Romero who pretty much a non-factor last night, it's because he was going up against Y.P. Lee, who is one of the best in the MLS (when he was PSV he was one of my favorite players on the team).

Fullback is probably the most difficult position on the field, especially if your style is to attack from the wings. You're heavily implicated in defending and attacking and need to run like crazy. If we can find an upgrade on Brovsky and or Iapachino, then i think we are really talking.

As far as the other positions, we could use another defensive midfielder, not a lot of depth behind Bernier, Warner is not the best.

In central defense maybe as well, but i dont think its a priority. Definitely not another attacking midfielder or forward, we score goals easily and we have a bunch of important injuries right now.
Full back is a weak position everywhere in the world. Only the top european clubs can have creative full backs because they get the best ones. Our full backs are on par with the rest of the MLS. I'm perfectly comfortable with Camara and Brovsky as our full backs. However, I'd acquire a L or RB for depth. This is why I think loaning out Valentin was a mistake.

I don't think we have many weaknesses really, only creativity down the middle is lacking but other than that, when healthy we have a really solid team. Just some depth at full backs and in midfield and we're ready for the playoffs and for champions league.

Old
05-30-2013, 04:08 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Full back is a weak position everywhere in the world. Only the top european clubs can have creative full backs because they get the best ones. Our full backs are on par with the rest of the MLS. I'm perfectly comfortable with Camara and Brovsky as our full backs. However, I'd acquire a L or RB for depth. This is why I think loaning out Valentin was a mistake.

I don't think we have many weaknesses really, only creativity down the middle is lacking but other than that, when healthy we have a really solid team. Just some depth at full backs and in midfield and we're ready for the playoffs and for champions league.
Yeah i agree about the fullback statement, few teams have excellent ones--i guess i was just trying to find an area where we could improve. Overall i think we have an excellent MLS side, but fullback is where i would look to improve if we want a real shot at winning the Champions league.

Old
05-30-2013, 05:18 PM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

Quote:

Yeah, the system we play doesn't really rely on fullbacks. If you're playing a possession game with a 4-3-3, the fullbacks are relied on heavily. Or even in a 3-5-2 (where they're essentially wing-backs), they are relied on a lot. Since we have a both a back four and midfield wingers (who don't play really high, like barca), defensive steadiness, and keeping it simple is the most important. That means workrate, endurance, and being defensively competent is the most important trait.

The only positions I see lacking is a true destroyer (Bernier & Arnaud are more box to box guys who do a bit of everything), and a trequartista type.

CB is good. (Nesta, Ferrari)
Wingers are good (Romero, Mapp, Pisanu)
Box to Box MF is fine (Bernier, Arnaud) - frankly all you need is these guys to run like crazy and be decent ball distributers.
Striker (Di Vaio)
Secondary Striker (Paponi, Wenger)
Fullbacks are sufficient with Brovsky and Hassoun. Both are good enough defensive and Brovsky is a heck of a worker.
Attacking MF is thin (Felipe is good, but some versatility would be good).
The trequartista could essentially replace either Wenger/Paponi or Felipe, since they have qualities of a midfielder and a striker
And clearly there is no true destroyer. This is a guy who won't jump in the attack often and will literally break up plays all match.

Old
05-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
Yeah, the system we play doesn't really rely on fullbacks. If you're playing a possession game with a 4-3-3, the fullbacks are relied on heavily. Or even in a 3-5-2 (where they're essentially wing-backs), they are relied on a lot. Since we have a both a back four and midfield wingers (who don't play really high, like barca), defensive steadiness, and keeping it simple is the most important. That means workrate, endurance, and being defensively competent is the most important trait.

The only positions I see lacking is a true destroyer (Bernier & Arnaud are more box to box guys who do a bit of everything), and a trequartista type.

CB is good. (Nesta, Ferrari)
Wingers are good (Romero, Mapp, Pisanu)
Box to Box MF is fine (Bernier, Arnaud) - frankly all you need is these guys to run like crazy and be decent ball distributers.
Striker (Di Vaio)
Secondary Striker (Paponi, Wenger)
Fullbacks are sufficient with Brovsky and Hassoun. Both are good enough defensive and Brovsky is a heck of a worker.
Attacking MF is thin (Felipe is good, but some versatility would be good).
The trequartista could essentially replace either Wenger/Paponi or Felipe, since they have qualities of a midfielder and a striker
And clearly there is no true destroyer. This is a guy who won't jump in the attack often and will literally break up plays all match.
Camara is not a natural fullback, he doesn't have the endurance to be effective all game long. Our fullbacks got cut to shreds last night. I'd prefer seeing Camara as a defensive midfielder, in the hole ahead of the D, instead of playing on the wings. Obviously he is best suited as a central defender. You may have a point about the attacking midfielder role, we really only have Felipe, all the other offensive players are wingers or strikers.

Old
05-30-2013, 08:29 PM
Captain Saku

I tried to ignore it the whole day but really I'm extremely disappointed with media coverage of the Impact. Seriously what's wrong with Montreal? Even if the habs got eliminated, it's all about hockey. For sure hockey is my co-favorite sport, but why would the hawks vs detroit series or the firing of Tortorella be more important than the impact? Not a single media (major newspapers, radio stations, tv stations) had the impact win in their top sports news. Media is controlled by a bunch of old men that know no other sport than hockey, it's a shame.

Old
05-30-2013, 08:56 PM
schumway2

Quote:
I tried to ignore it the whole day but really I'm extremely disappointed with media coverage of the Impact. Seriously what's wrong with Montreal? Even if the habs got eliminated, it's all about hockey. For sure hockey is my co-favorite sport, but why would the hawks vs detroit series or the firing of Tortorella be more important than the impact? Not a single media (major newspapers, radio stations, tv stations) had the impact win in their top sports news. Media is controlled by a bunch of old men that know no other sport than hockey, it's a shame.
The media is run by Jews.

In all seriousness, it is dissapointing. It was like the 4th story on the 690 news update this morning after the Det/Chi game, Torts firing and French Open. The problem is very few people in the media know anything about soccer. The main guys especially. They're all old hockey and baseball guys.

Old
05-30-2013, 09:14 PM
Rumcajs

Too lazy to quote but someone up above, Rangers username, posted an ideal lineup with 4 DP's. You can only have 3

Closed Thread