HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Hockey Noob Chronicles II (Beginners' Thread)

Old
05-14-2013, 10:03 PM
ganave

vCash: 500
Funny looking back a year ago when I started. On a 4 game winning streak, only gave up 2 goals tonight and last week. One was hilariously bad, blew my shutout by whiffing on 10mph puck from the blue line

Saw 2 shots the first 10 minutes then some really fun Hasek style saves. Got hacked up pretty good on one sequence because the ref took awhile to blow the whistle. Kinda killed any inertia the other team tried to get going.

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 12:03 PM
ilyazhito

I want tot start playing hockey. It's a great game, but unfortunately my mother is not a fan. So, I'll wait until I can leave the house. Well, I tried skating, and my forward skating is OK, but I absolutely cannot skate backwards. How do I practice. Also, I would really like to learn how to play goalie, because that is one of the most epic positions in sports.

ilyazhito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 02:41 PM
ganave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
I want tot start playing hockey. It's a great game, but unfortunately my mother is not a fan. So, I'll wait until I can leave the house. Well, I tried skating, and my forward skating is OK, but I absolutely cannot skate backwards. How do I practice. Also, I would really like to learn how to play goalie, because that is one of the most epic positions in sports.
I find being a goalie very rewarding, but it is very expensive to start even if you buy almost everything used.

Goalie Pants
Goalie Jock
Throat guard
Helmet
Dangler for helmet
Knee Guards
Blocker
Catcher
Skates
Chest and Arm Protector
Sticks
Leg Pads

You might be able to put together a decent set of used gear for about $1K USD

You'll also need to be on the ice at least 2 to 3 times a week and not be afraid of the puck or getting the absolute crap kicked out of you. In a game last night I was making scrambling saves on my belly with 4 or 5 players within stick length of me are doing all they can to push the puck loose before a whistle is blown. Most of the goalies protection is towards the front. I got clobbered in my calves, thighs, armpits, etc.

I'd say get a pair of ice skates and take a learn to skate class. If you can get a cheap pair of player elbow pads, pants and kneepads that will keep you from getting hurt while you push your skating to improve.

Good luck!

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 03:00 PM
ShootsWide

4 games into my first season and I'm feeling great. I had 2 goals my first 2 games and 0 my next 2 but definitely felt a lot better and more confident out there. Gotta work on my passing a lot more though. It feels good not being good at something. I notice every time I skate and practice I get better and I love seeing my progress

ShootsWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 12:22 PM
scryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganave View Post
I find being a goalie very rewarding, but it is very expensive to start even if you buy almost everything used.

Goalie Pants
Goalie Jock
Throat guard
Helmet
Dangler for helmet
Knee Guards
Blocker
Catcher
Skates
Chest and Arm Protector
Sticks
Leg Pads

You might be able to put together a decent set of used gear for about $1K USD

You'll also need to be on the ice at least 2 to 3 times a week and not be afraid of the puck or getting the absolute crap kicked out of you. In a game last night I was making scrambling saves on my belly with 4 or 5 players within stick length of me are doing all they can to push the puck loose before a whistle is blown. Most of the goalies protection is towards the front. I got clobbered in my calves, thighs, armpits, etc.

I'd say get a pair of ice skates and take a learn to skate class. If you can get a cheap pair of player elbow pads, pants and kneepads that will keep you from getting hurt while you push your skating to improve.

Good luck!
I guess it depends on where you are... But I just started playing in goal, and was closer to $600, all said and done AND when you look at the savings in league/pickup fees its even cheaper.

I got chest/arms, mask, glove, blocker, stick and pants for $220
I got leg pads for $75
Skates for $40
Cup for $50 on special @ goalie monkey.
Dangler for $30 new...
Then there is always a ton of random stuff, like bag, clothing, the gas to run around the county picking the stuff up... But that is less then $400 excluding the misc stuff.

Point is, used gear aint so bad... Plus you WILL make up the cost difference in discounted fees, or you will quit and have gear worth about as much as you paid to sell.
Another example : http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/3760103653.html

Its really pretty doable.

Last edited by scryan: 05-20-2013 at 12:27 PM.
scryan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 11:28 PM
sxHarr05

I've mentioned this in other threads here, but here goes again. I'm a 40 year-old "re-beginner" who was off ice for 16 years, and hadn't played even roller hockey in ten+. From 20 to 23 I played on a beer league team that was desperately short of players and managed to get the 30+ rule waived in order to, uh, compete. One night when I showed up before our game the compressor room at the rink was on fire. And I never played again. Many things happened that either got in the way or took my interest and placed it elsewhere. I had been dating my future wife while playing and it had gotten pretty serious. I was also working 2/3 jobs. I fell into depression at one point which led to consuming copious amounts of alchohol. Which of course also consumed all of my spare cash. I (we) straightened all that out and got married in October of 2000. Suffered a pretty bad leg injury in late 2000, but was lucky in that my gym routine spared any lasting damage. 1999 and 2000 were my only two years of roller "Draft Rec League" play and I was suspended my first year and banned my second. Funny how in a non-checking league the FNG (F-ing New Guy) is the only one the no-check (or slash/hack/punch) rules apply to. Hey, I was only following suit. Anyway, played another year elswhere in 2004 but by then our son was becoming mobile and the wife was back to work after surgery on her lower back. So that was that.

Or so I thought. Fast-forward to December, 2011, and my kids decide they want to try ice skating. Cool, but I didn't have skates. Instead of renting bowling shoes with blades I decided to buy a pair of hockey skates. Oh boy.......that got things rolling. I figured ice hockey was out of the question due to time and money constraints so I bought a pair of Bauer Vapor inline skates, a helmet, visor and gloves. I mean, everything is paved around here. Then while ice skating one day with the kids, I get talking to my son's buddie's dad, who has played forever. He tells me about this "stick and puck" thing some of the local rinks have. Nah, don't want to go down that road again. I'm going on 40. Too old to be "new" again. Right? Wrong. I started going to S&Ps this past January and can say the bug has not only bitten but gotten inside me. I've restocked all the needed gear, focused my diet and gym workouts to get me to a "High-Speed/Low-Drag" version of myself and have Men's C-League/Fall clearly in my crosshairs. Working off 17 years of rust and 40 pounds of pizza and beer is way more fun this way. Last time out I even recorded the session to use as a practice tool.

Sorry for rambling, but this has been such a blast and a much-needed "focus on myself" event................................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDVD_001.jpg‎ (53.1 KB, 57 views)

sxHarr05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxHarr05 View Post
Last time out I even recorded the session to use as a practice tool.

Sorry for rambling, but this has been such a blast and a much-needed "focus on myself" event................................
You are never to old to get bach in to it...okay well maybe 70. I have a 65 year old playing in my league.

What makes it better now is that your boys are in it and it makes it a hellava lot more fun to be on the ice working with your boys. That's a hockey dad's dream.

05-26-2013, 01:28 PM
thevil
Lets go Aves?

Okay, so I am a goalie who is switching to a forward. I need to work on my shot, but I just want to practice in my backyard sometimes instead of having to find time to go to a rink. So I need some synthetic ice. Does anyone know where I can get some cheap?

thevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 06:58 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevil View Post
Okay, so I am a goalie who is switching to a forward. I need to work on my shot, but I just want to practice in my backyard sometimes instead of having to find time to go to a rink. So I need some synthetic ice. Does anyone know where I can get some cheap?
I'd just get a piece of plywood or something to stand on and rip shots off of that.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 08:25 PM
thevil
Lets go Aves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
I'd just get a piece of plywood or something to stand on and rip shots off of that.
That's what I have been doing, but synthetic ice is more fun and more realistic.

thevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2013, 08:48 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryan View Post
I guess it depends on where you are... But I just started playing in goal, and was closer to $600, all said and done AND when you look at the savings in league/pickup fees its even cheaper.

I got chest/arms, mask, glove, blocker, stick and pants for $220
I got leg pads for $75
Skates for $40
Cup for $50 on special @ goalie monkey.
Dangler for $30 new...
Then there is always a ton of random stuff, like bag, clothing, the gas to run around the county picking the stuff up... But that is less then $400 excluding the misc stuff.

Point is, used gear aint so bad... Plus you WILL make up the cost difference in discounted fees, or you will quit and have gear worth about as much as you paid to sell.
Another example : http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/3760103653.html

Its really pretty doable.
As I was reading the prices you listed I was thinking, 'it's either really **** gear or used'. I personally don't want a lot of used equipment, I'd take a piece here or there depending upon what it was, but if you were to buy everything new and not bottom of the barrel you'd easily spend 1k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevil View Post
That's what I have been doing, but synthetic ice is more fun and more realistic.
I'm no help then haha.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 05:20 PM
wingnutks

Well step 1 is in the books. Me and my bro bought some skates and hit up an open skate this afternoon. I have played roller hockey since there was roller blades, lol. But I want to switch it up to ice hockey. The idea is to start out on an intramural league soon.

I finally learned first hand what is meant by edge control, lol. My first ice skating session went both better and worse than expected. Stopping was harder than I had imagined. By the end of the hour session I had the snow plow down, and the one footed snow plow(if that is such a thing), but I wasent able to hockey stop yet.
Skating itself was easier than I thought it would be. By the end the first hour I was able to skate forwards and backwards, cross-overs...blah blah blah. I think if I got 4-5 more sessions in I should be able to skate almost as good on ice as in roller, minus the stopping lol.

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 09:08 AM
soldier0829

Stopping

I recently started playing again after a 15 year layoff. Not surprisingly I did not magically learn to hockey stop in those 15 years of retirement. I played a lot of roller hockey growing up so I am used to the skate drag/sharp turn approach, which is completely useless on ice. To make matters worse, while I suppose I could get away with it in my early 20's, now that I am pushing 40 my groin muscles don't appreciate the sharp change in direction (so I've been nursing a double groin strain for just over three weeks now). I think it is finally time to learn how to stop properly. One thing I am going to try is less hollow on my skates. Also focusing on ankle position. On wheels balance is very much all inside edge. I think I need to be more flat on skates.

soldier0829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 10:58 AM
vinc90

so ive been playing hockey for a long time (street/pickup roller) but ive only really played ice hockey for a few seasons. I started playing as a skater but i want to get into goalie, however, the equipment price has been pushing me away from that. Ive played goalie in roller and street hockey so i know i enjoy it. So basically my question: Is it worth it to buy low end goalie equipment? about how much will all the equipment cost?

vinc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 10:13 PM
wingnutks

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldier0829 View Post
I recently started playing again after a 15 year layoff. Not surprisingly I did not magically learn to hockey stop in those 15 years of retirement. I played a lot of roller hockey growing up so I am used to the skate drag/sharp turn approach, which is completely useless on ice. To make matters worse, while I suppose I could get away with it in my early 20's, now that I am pushing 40 my groin muscles don't appreciate the sharp change in direction (so I've been nursing a double groin strain for just over three weeks now). I think it is finally time to learn how to stop properly. One thing I am going to try is less hollow on my skates. Also focusing on ankle position. On wheels balance is very much all inside edge. I think I need to be more flat on skates.
You played ice hockey without knowing how to "hockey stop"? How did you stop?

Old
05-31-2013, 09:59 AM
Malarowski

Snowplow and boards, I reckon. Just like everyone else.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 11:10 AM
soldier0829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarowski View Post
Yep. This. And turning really sharply, which groin muscles can (apparently) handle in your 20's but not so much in your late 30's.

Old
05-31-2013, 11:23 AM
wingnutks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarowski View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldier0829 View Post
Yep. This. And turning really sharply, which groin muscles can (apparently) handle in your 20's but not so much in your late 30's.
LOL.
I got in touch with one of the people that runs the begginner league here, he told me to master stopping before I signed up.

Old
05-31-2013, 02:33 PM
scryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinc90 View Post
so ive been playing hockey for a long time (street/pickup roller) but ive only really played ice hockey for a few seasons. I started playing as a skater but i want to get into goalie, however, the equipment price has been pushing me away from that. Ive played goalie in roller and street hockey so i know i enjoy it. So basically my question: Is it worth it to buy low end goalie equipment? about how much will all the equipment cost?
look up a few posts and I wast talking about that...
I think my stuff was like $450 all together, though with all little bit and bobs I probably spent closer to $600.

Rather do decent used then **** new, and I think I would rather not take a frozen puck with **** pads...

scryan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 02:53 PM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinc90 View Post
Is it worth it to buy low end goalie equipment? about how much will all the equipment cost?
It probably also depends what level you'll be stepping into. As long as you have all the gear, as long as it's not literally falling apart it'll keep you fairly safe while stopping a puck. If you're playing entry level, the pucks won't be coming very hard most of the time.

You could buy a cheap set, wear it, and when you are ready to move up to where the shots come faster you could try to flip it and upgrade to a better set.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/nv...835881931.html - $400 full set, 2 years old

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...834932436.html - $450 apparently mostly new

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...810624329.html - $350 this looks pretty worn

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pm...820754655.html - $275 almost new according to lister

So there ya go. Can't help much with the quality (I'm a forward, never bought used before anyway) but the prices look very affordable. (Buying new) my skater gear cost a lot more than this. Maybe I'll try goalie haha

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 02:50 PM
DJH

I got a full set including wheeled bag and two sticks for 1150 tax in a few years back. The skates and pants were used and all else was new. The helmet was about 30-35% of the price but worth every penny. Used runs a lot cheaper.
I only play pick ups when they have no other goalie and in the first year I must of saved $500 or so in ice fees.
The thought of upgrading to better gear is scary though.

DJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 01:59 PM
stocky

I just played my first "game" last night. It was organized pick up, which was put on by the guys at puh2000.com, and it was great. I decided to start out at the "D" level novice and see where I stacked up. When I first got to the rink, I was a little nervous, and wasnt sure what to expect. While in the dressing room the guys I was about to play with (most of whom were probably over 40. One guy was definitely pushing 65-70), all seemed to know each other and played together a long time. I introduced myself to a few of them and they were all very welcoming, and a great group of guys. They asked if I was any good and I told them a little about my background playing a lot of street hockey and rollerblading a ton. They asked if I understood the blue line and I told them I did. I was put on a line, and we went at it for a little over an hour. It was so much fun. I fell coming onto the ice once, and was knocked off the puck more than once. But I made a few really good passes, and set up some good scoring chances. I was gassed by the end, but had a smile on my face the whole time. I am so proud to be able to say I am not just a fan, I am a player. Thanks for giving me the ispiration guys!

stocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2013, 03:08 PM
wingnutks

I hit up another open skate this week and worked on my hockey stop. It is coming along. Edge control is very touchy. I am 205lbs and they gave me a 1/2" hollow, not sure if that is a good place to start or not.
I also had my first real game in over 14 years last night lol. It was roller hockey though. Full sized rink, but we had to play 4v4 because the other team didnt have enough guys. Holy hell was I gassed at the end of the game! I have been doing open skates on ice, and puck shoots in roller, but nothing gets you in game shape like games do. Having to skate in response to someone elses decisions really takes alot more out of you!
Right now I will only be playing 1 game a week in my roller league, so I would like to get more game time in to get myself in better shape. The ice rink near me has an stick n puck this Sunday, I have all my gear, except for pants, so I think I am going to pick up a pair and go to the stick n puck. Hopefully there will be a decent amount of open ice and I can work on some skating with full gear on.
It is frustrating because my skating ability on ice is way past my stopping ability. I can crossover front and backward, cut tight circles in both directions...etc. Just cant stop on a dime. I have also been shooting/passing a roller puck for years, so I am hoping it wont be too bad of a transition to an ice puck. Just need to get the stopping down!

My rink has open hockey clinics for adults every mon/fri and open scrimmage every tue/thur... so if I can get my stopping down I will have alot of opportunity for some good hard skating and game time.

Last edited by wingnutks: 06-07-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old
06-12-2013, 10:37 AM
soldier0829

[QUOTE=wingnutks;67162139]
It is frustrating because my skating ability on ice is way past my stopping ability. I can crossover front and backward, cut tight circles in both directions...etc. Just cant stop on a dime. I have also been shooting/passing a roller puck for years, so I am hoping it wont be too bad of a transition to an ice puck. Just need to get the stopping down!....[QUOTE]

I know exactly what you mean. My mobility is limited on the ice because I always fall back on all the old roller blading tricks for slowing down/changing direction. My stopping has been getting better though. I find it easier to practice on one foot first. And pay attention to your upper body - meaning square your shoulders. I think I am less likely to do a hard turn when my shoulders stay square.

Old
06-12-2013, 02:47 PM
wingnutks

I actually went to my first stick n puck, it was my first time on the ice in full gear and also not having to go counter-clockwise At first I was surprised how different stickhandling was, the puck glides WAY better than a roller puck, after about 20 mins I got the hang of it, by the time I left I was able to stick handle about 80% of my ability with a roller puck. Shot was fine. It did feel a little harder to get the puck up. It almost feels like the puck leaves the stick a bit earlier(maybe because of the lower friction). I dont know about others, but I almost feel like I would like a tad bit more curve and a bit more of an open face for an ice hockey stick vs a roller hockey stick. Anyone have the same opinion?
Only think that sucked was I was not able to practice stopping much because the rink was rather crowded. However I am going to an open skate tomorrow and I am going to get my skates sharpened changing my hollow from a 1/2" to a 5/8". I am 205lbs without gear, so I want to try something with not so much bite.