HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft Thread Part 2: Bark to the Future

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2013, 07:59 AM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I see where you're coming from, and I agree to an extent, but our garbage IS what you're offering. From Colorado or Florida's position, why on earth move out of the big 3 (or really 2 in this case) for players not panning out (though with potential). Blum and/or SK to lose out on Mac? They would want a real good reason to not draft where they are and those guys are not it.
Is Smith really garbage if paired with Stastny? If they have the same chemistry they may have something special. Having the best players isn't always the right way to go, it's having the guys that get the most out of each other. While many around here think SK is garbage, I still don't buy it. Blum, ok, he's garbage...lol.

It depends on needs as well for both teams. Really, what is it worth to move up three spots in the draft? Years ago we moved a second to move from 3 to 2 to pick Legwand. I could see moving Ellis and swapping picks might get it done. Might have to throw in another prospect of lower value but I don't see moving one of our better prospects who are ready to play now to move up.

For what it's worth, I'm not sold on MacKinnon. I just get a bad feeling that he is going to be a bust. Felt that way for a long time. Watched him in some games and I just don't see it. That's just me though. He's good but is he going to be THAT guy.

Old
05-31-2013, 08:22 AM
braindead

I would pay that price to move up to #1. You get the best forward in the draft and the forward that for several years has been projected to go first overall. Not that you can base the decision on it but you also get the marketing and pr benefits of picking first.

Edit: Of course, I am sold on him. I fully expect him to be better than Barkov and every other center in the draft (although I do think Barkov will excel as well so won't be complaining if he is our pick).

Last edited by braindead: 05-31-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old
05-31-2013, 08:50 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I would pay that price to move up to #1.
What price?

Old
05-31-2013, 09:10 AM
braindead

Quote:
What price?
Any suggested by v82 above. 4th plus SK/Blum plus a player referenced, including, reluctantly, beck or borkie.

Old
05-31-2013, 09:15 AM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Let's be fair. A 25-27 year old consistent 30 goal scorer is not an average forward. It's a rarity in this league.

Of course, goal scoring is but one of many attributes that is essential in a forward this team needs. Yes, we need someone who can provide that, but we do not need a one-dimensional player. For instance, having a one-dimensional 30 goal scoring winger is not what we need, and it would do us little good to simply scoff at the ability to draft a potential top line center in an effort to gain that. While it is certainly enticing to put together a package centered around our #4 pick to bring a young, 30 goal scoring forward aboard, it obviously brings up the question, "why does a team give that up for our pick plus whatever it is we package along with it?" After all, what do we offer another team to sweeten the deal that does not create another hole in our roster? SK? Blum? Ellis? I don't think so.

Our needs are simple, in my opinion. We need a top line center, which is nothing new, and we need a second pairing defenseman. One of those things is attainable, while not necessarily easily attainable, through free agency or trade. The other is not.
I agree with what you are saying but if we are going to have a chance of getting an offensive superstar it's going to be in the draft. I would rather take my chances on filling the center position void in the draft since we have a shot at Barkov. I think trading away the pick to possibly fill the void with someone another team is willing to trade could be a disaster.

Old
05-31-2013, 09:22 AM
PFL615

Quote:
What price?
4th, SK, Ellis, 2014 1st to Colorado for 2013 1st overall and Stastny?

Old
05-31-2013, 09:31 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
is not happening ... trading an established player within your conference (no longer divisions) isn't happening

Old
05-31-2013, 09:33 AM
SavageSteve

Quote:
I agree with what you are saying but if we are going to have a chance of getting an offensive superstar it's going to be in the draft. I would rather take my chances on filling the center position void in the draft since we have a shot at Barkov. I think trading away the pick to possibly fill the void with someone another team is willing to trade could be a disaster.
Totally agree here.

As a kid in the '80s in St. Louis, other than Joey Mullen and Doug Gilmour I watched the Blues treat the draft/prospects as a tool to get gritty re-treads for playoff runs over and over in the old Norris Division. Only once did trading off assets really pan out in Brett Hull (which was amazing when he was netting 70+ goals); but maddening when you see the players you dealt hoist the Cup for Crispy in Calgary or elsewhere for what turned out to be a rental. I think it is wise for the organization to do their homework and posture to see if someone will overpay like GMDP did with Erat or get good value on trading up. I'd really prefer for them to stand pat taking Barkov at this point and also qualify Blum/keep Ellis to see what Housley can do with the defense and build their value for other assets we will invariably need through attrition. You never know when some team will channel Mike Ditka in NOLA and give up a ton of draft picks/prospects for your pick.

Of course other teams will posture to take a player that Poile obviously covets and see if he will give up an asset or move to Plan B and vice versa.

Old
05-31-2013, 09:34 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Yeah right...they don't take that IMO. To fall to 4, I think they'd ask for #4+Ellis+SK or something, which leaves 2014 1st for Stastny. Doubt it.

Old
05-31-2013, 09:37 AM
ffwrx
Don't Blink!

Quote:
What happens if for some weird reason it goes Mac Barkov Druin? Do we take Jones or trade down?

Old
05-31-2013, 09:50 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreilly22 View Post
I'll be honest, the Preds probably want to keep Weber, Rinne, Wilson, Josi, Klein, Forsberg, and Hornqvist. Probably Fisher and possibly Legwand too. If you are interested in anyone other than those guys, then I would jump at it without hesitation.

Players probably available that could interest you: Ellis, Blum, SK, Bourque (one of my faves, but worth it if we could move to #1), Craig Smith (lit it up on a line with Stastny in the WC) Austin Watson (big young center with defensive upside), Magnus Hellberg (very talented young goalie prospect)
I don't think the Avs would have much interest in Ellis, Blum (too many RD as it is with EJ, Barrie, and Elliott), SK, or Hellberg (have 2 good G prospects).

IMO Borque, Smith, and Watson are the more interesting, but I don't believe there is enough incentive to move from 1 to 4 with those. Roy has said the Avs don't want to move out of the top 3, but would consider 4 if a big enough offer. I take that as an overpayment.

With that I could see the Avs targeting Josi to improve their top 4 (need LD for that as EJ and Barrie occupy the right spots). What about a #1 + for #4 + Josi? The + would have to be significant.

Old
05-31-2013, 09:53 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Avs don't do that deal because SK and Ellis are not pieces that would fit in Colorado's long-term plans. The deal would end up #4 + 2014 1st for #1 + Stastny. The Avs can get more than just a 1st round pick for Stastny at next year's deadline.

Old
05-31-2013, 09:54 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffwrx View Post
What happens if for some weird reason it goes Mac Barkov Druin? Do we take Jones or trade down?
Take Jones and you have one of your needs met in getting a second pairing guy to play with Klein AND Jones gets to learn from one of the best in Weber. We still may not score but we won't be giving up much either. We'd basically have two pairs of defense that we could roll close to 25 minutes a night apiece and talk about protected minutes for your third pairing. The other thing is, you'd always have the right to move Jones at a later time if you want and maybe even land more in a package for him then on draft day.

Old
05-31-2013, 09:57 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I don't think the Avs would have much interest in Ellis, Blum (too many RD as it is with EJ, Barrie, and Elliott), SK, or Hellberg (have 2 good G prospects).

IMO Borque, Smith, and Watson are the more interesting, but I don't believe there is enough incentive to move from 1 to 4 with those. Roy has said the Avs don't want to move out of the top 3, but would consider 4 if a big enough offer. I take that as an overpayment.

With that I could see the Avs targeting Josi to improve their top 4 (need LD for that as EJ and Barrie occupy the right spots). What about a #1 + for #4 + Josi? The + would have to be significant.
When you say the + would need to be significant is that from your end or ours? No offense but Josi is a top pairing defenseman already and dealing him to move up to number 1 creates more holes for us than it fills. Josi isn't going anywhere any time soon. He's actually a better player at this point than Suter was.

Old
05-31-2013, 09:58 AM
ffwrx
Don't Blink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Take Jones and you have one of your needs met in getting a second pairing guy to play with Klein AND Jones gets to learn from one of the best in Weber. We still may not score but we won't be giving up much either. We'd basically have two pairs of defense that we could roll close to 25 minutes a night apiece and talk about protected minutes for your third pairing. The other thing is, you'd always have the right to move Jones at a later time if you want and maybe even land more in a package for him then on draft day.
Doesn't he shoot right? We would have 3 right handers in the top 4. I guess it doesn't matter. I just thought that we usually tried to pair a lefty and righty together.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:04 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffwrx View Post
Doesn't he shoot right? We would have 3 right handers in the top 4. I guess it doesn't matter. I just thought that we usually tried to pair a lefty and righty together.
He is and we try to but if he's an elite talent it shouldn't matter which side he's on. Most defensemen can play either side but it is better to have left/right pairings.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:05 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
When you say the + would need to be significant is that from your end or ours? No offense but Josi is a top pairing defenseman already and dealing him to move up to number 1 creates more holes for us than it fills. Josi isn't going anywhere any time soon. He's actually a better player at this point than Suter was.
From the Avs end. The only real untouchables would be Landeskog, Duchene, ROR (because he can't be traded until Feb 28, 2014), EJ, PAP, and Barrie. That leaves Stastny, McGinn, Downie, Elliott, Siemens, Sgarbossa, Hishon, Hejda, and Wilson as significant assets that could be included in a deal.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:11 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
From the Avs end. The only real untouchables would be Landeskog, Duchene, ROR (because he can't be traded until Feb 28, 2014), EJ, PAP, and Barrie. That leaves Stastny, McGinn, Downie, Elliott, Siemens, Sgarbossa, Hishon, Hejda, and Wilson as significant assets that could be included in a deal.
#1+Stastny for #4+Josi is probably ok value wise, but there's no chance I'd do it. Kevin Klein would be our #2D next year. Trading Josi creates such a whole that we would have to draft Jones over Mac, so we still don't get our dynamic scorer. No thanks.

Craig Smith is someone I think Colorado would like due to the way he and Stastny played at the WCs, but he isn't enough for them to move down from #1 to #4.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:18 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
#1+Stastny for #4+Josi is probably ok value wise, but there's no chance I'd do it. Kevin Klein would be our #2D next year. Trading Josi creates such a whole that we would have to draft Jones over Mac, so we still don't get our dynamic scorer. No thanks.

Craig Smith is someone I think Colorado would like due to the way he and Stastny played at the WCs, but he isn't enough for them to move down from #1 to #4.
The deal around Stastny and Josi is probably where it would have to go, but I could see the reason for not doing the deal. There would probably have to be other moving parts to get something done there.

Smith would be interesting, but he isn't nearly enough to risk losing out on one of Drouin, Jones, or MacKinnon.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:30 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd almost rather just role the dice with Barkov or Nichushkin. I don't know if there's that much difference. No way is the difference Josi for sure.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:36 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I'd almost rather just role the dice with Barkov or Nichushkin. I don't know if there's that much difference. No way is the difference Josi for sure.
Agreed, which is why they are adding a very good #2C on top of Mackinnon. Still, I think both teams are most likely better off staying where they are. Colorado gets their franchise D, we get our #1C. Everyone is happy.

Old
05-31-2013, 11:05 AM
maplepred

Quote:
If drouin, barkov and Mack are all gone at four, we deal the pick and move down and take nichushkin. Some team will overpay to get jones at four. No way do we draft jones, we won't win a cup with him. We had suter, and never made it past second round due to scoring, we need barkov, drouin, Mack c or nichushkin, plain and simple.

Also,
Anyone suggesting josi is dealt must be high, preds won't deal him at all, would MUCH rather take barkov or Nichushkin then lose josi and get mackinnon. Thanks but no thanks. Josi is young and already elite.

Old
05-31-2013, 11:22 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

I'll gladly take Jones and (possibly) have one of the best top-4's in the league for a very long time.

Old
05-31-2013, 11:54 AM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
I'm perfectly fine with taking Jones, or trading for Nich + 2nd/roster defenseman.

To me this season has been an anomaly. Tons of injuries, late start, etc. not that I'm making up excuses, but I think we totally lucked out with a top 4 pick. As long as we use it wisely I'm fine with it. We are already being very proactive this off-season, so if next year is anything like this one, then we're in a small rebuild.

Sorry, I'm rambling. Use the free top 5 pick, be proactive this off-season, good camp, start fresh next season.

Old
05-31-2013, 12:16 PM
Byrddog

http://www.hockeywilderness.com/2013...ksander-barkov

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=421577

Last edited by Byrddog: 05-31-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Closed Thread