HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Head Coach Vacancy Pt III: How's your spelling? (Eakins/Vigneault/Messier/Gretzky)

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2013, 10:27 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
If McLellan was available, I would be all for it.
Yeah, me too.

Something I've been wanting to mention about the discussion of coaching options. Every single candidate has their history, but each one of them would come into the Rangers with an adjustment to their approach. I think that all we really need to looking for is competence. Individual styles aren't everything.

This is especially true of guys like Boucher, looking at their 2nd coaching gig.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:28 AM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

My guess would be Gaborik....Makes it easier for Boomer to talk about... No doubt about it ...

Old
05-31-2013, 10:29 AM
Baumer582

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Don't worry, I'm sure we'll find this mythical coach everyone clamored for, who will always be consistent with his lines, will be willing to sacrifice defense for offense, will give rookies who don't play well tons of ice time in important games, will magically turn a so-so group of forwards into an offensive juggernaut, will always divulge what injuries players have, and won't be mean to reporters.
All I want is a coach who won't bench a player for not doing something he was never good at to begin with... i.e., benching Gaborik for not playing tough hockey/blocking shots/forechecking hard.

I know it sounds like I'd think certain players deserve special treatment, but honestly, some do... Would you tell Miguel Cabrera to lay down a bunt to move a runner to 3rd? Would you tell Peyton Manning to be a scrambling QB like RG3? Would you sit either of those guys if they didn't do it? Hell to the no.

Let the stars be stars, let Cally block shots and don't bench guys unless they are truly dogging it.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:31 AM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

Hm, the more I hear of Eakins, the more I like him.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:31 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
I'll put my two cents in with Boucher since I was a Lightning season ticket holder during his tenure.

He is a coach who expects effort every night and is hard on his guys. He's definitely a short life span coach, maybe 3 years max-- BUT -- he's an excellent tactician both offensively and defensively. He plays to the teams strength and covers up their weakness by making solid adjustments PER OPPONENT. He's big on preparation with special teams - epsecially the Power Play. They never had that great of a PK while he was there but it was more about personnel imo.

He treats each player like an individual and tries to find ways within his system to let them do what they want to do. Martin St.Louis attested to this and many of his AHL guys said they 'felt comfortable' playing within his system because it didn't stifle their own personal playing style much.

No one will confuse him with Scotty Bowman or Jaques Lemaire (his good friend) but he can get the job done in New York. Going to watch all of his teams they were always well prepared but a lot of the time they were let down by poor goaltending or individually pathetic attempts at defense. He also got pretty lucky (Tampa Bay did I guess) by facing the Penguins without Crosby or Malkin.

Yzerman is a far bigger culprit than Boucher was in Tampa Bay. Boucher did the best with what he was dealt and when he was dealt a good hand like the Rangers have now - he produced results. When he had NO depth, sucky goaltending, and questionable defense - well he got about what you'd expect any coach to get.

I'd be fine with Boucher here honestly. We could do a lot worse.
1-3-1. No thanks. The Rangers will need to slash ticket prices to get fans to pay to watch that type of hockey.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:32 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
1-3-1. No thanks. The Rangers will need to slash ticket prices to get fans to pay to watch that type of hockey.
Because it isn't possible that Boucher employed a 1-3-1 to cover up for deficiencies in the defensive zone, including goaltending.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:38 AM
usernamesteph

Quote:
Messier and Gretzky as possible coaches are the lazy NY media playing to the average fan. If Mark wants to coach,go do what Roy did. Or what Weight is doing now. Wayne. I would rather have Paulina coach the Rangers. The Canuck fans hated the Hodgson for Kassian trade. Hodgson hurt his back. VAN doctors misdiagnosed the injury. Vigneault told Hodgson to stop making excuses about being sent back to Brampton. Then when Hodgson made the Canucks,he wanted out. Gillis traded him for Kassian. He took a chance on getting a power forward which are hard to find. The trade hasn't worked out for the Canucks. Kassian hurt his back this season. Those power forwards are projects and hit or miss.
I remember watching Canucks games early in the season and kassian was playing with the sedins, and I was thinking...this guy sucks why do they got him on the first line? And it stayed like that for a least several games....he was clearly holding the sedins back, so makes me wonder about vingeault

Old
05-31-2013, 10:43 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
The 1-3-1 is super effective at counter attacking. More enjoyable than the block all shots mentality torts employed.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:44 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
With all due respect RB your comment is completely overblown. The Lightning under Boucher were 10x more interesting than the Rangers have been since 2006.

Boucher is a good tactical coach, not a defensive coach. He's smart enough to know that he has Girardi, Staal, McD, DZ, Moore, and Stralman to work with over that colossal disaster of a 'D' in TB. He can let the offense roam with those guys back there and oh yeah Henrik Lundqvist.

Again, people think Guy Boucher is a bad coach but I watched him coach 41 times a year for 2+ years. I'm pretty damn familiar with his style. He'd definitely work here. Is he the best candidate? Probably not. I think Tippet is but I don't think Eakins is the way to go either. McLellan, okay I could see that I guess but I'd prefer Boucher to McLellan.

Old
steviek3b

Not saying this will happen or even that it is my choice, but just curious why Gretzky was in NY the other day at the game. Probably nothing, but you never know.

Also, I know that people will say he is not a good coach and just because someone was a good or great player, that doesn't make them a good coach. However, his teams in Phoenix were pretty pathetic. Best player was Shane Doan. Other top scorers were Vrabata, Comrie, Nagy, Jokinen. Not a lot of top talent to work with there.

Old
LPH
[hello] :)

Just some thoughts on AV. Canucks fans really do exaggerate how bad he is with young players. We really don't have that many really good prospects but basically if a young player can produce then they have their spot. It's really not a matter of him hating young players as he is just unwilling to let them play through stretchess where they don't perform which is fine in a lot of cases.

For example, when AV demoted Schroeder it was because he wasn't producing enough defensively, then he was sent to the AHL where he put up better numbers than he had ever had (around point per game). Similar strategies worked on Kassian a couple times. Just look at Tanev if you want to see a recent success story as he played his way up the depth chart or Hodgson who earned prime minutes at ES and PP. Also Burrows, Kesler, and Hansen all cam up, although they played grinder roles intially. He doesn't spoon feed rookies/young players minutes which can be interpreted as hating them. It does make it harder for your B prospects to crack the squad, but any blue chippers should have no issues earning a big role.

I felt I should just throw this out there as I am trying to be more objective than a lot of Canuck fans (or like I was) who were still bitter about getting swept. Vingneaultt just doesn't have the room anymore here, that's his main issue. PP was another big one.

Also Gillis is reportedly interviewing Gretzky,

Last edited by LPH: 05-31-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old
05-31-2013, 10:49 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
I am a bit surprised you went with this argument, expect that from the posters that don't have a clue.

He didn't use the 1-3-1 exclusively, he also used the 1-2-2 and that Tampa team scored a lot of goals after giving a turnover and counter attacking. Rangers fans would pay triple to watch a series like that BOS/TB ECF. Was very entertaining hockey one of the better series in recent years.

Last edited by Barbara Underhill: 05-31-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old
05-31-2013, 10:50 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
The 1-3-1 is super effective at counter attacking. More enjoyable than the block all shots mentality torts employed.
Callahan, Hagelin, Nash would be great players across the neutral zone.

By the way the 1-3-1 is a variation of the trap but it can be beat by quick passes and by creating four lanes giving 2 options in each zone. But any coach who can't beat the 1-3-1 shouldn't be in the NHL coaching anyway.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:50 AM
noupf

Quote:
Originally Posted by noupf View Post
So, as I was going to bed last night, i was watching boomer and carton......really, more by accident, I had just finished watching the Detroit vs. NYR game where Coccur and Probert fought. Anyway..... I got to listen to both boomer and carton spout off about how they were either for or against torts getting fired. All of a sudden, boomer starts talking about how he had spoken to a highly respected player and vertan on the rangers squad about two months ago, and he was told that the team had basically turned on torts. The player said that the big core of players had begun to tune torts out and were getting tired of him. now......

1) Boomer wouldnt tell us who he was talking about......but did say however, that by what he had just said on air, you could probably figure it out....

2) Boomer then proceeded to say that he now thinks much less of said player and his level of respect for him has changed....

Does anybody have some insight on this?
for the record......boomer actually said it was not Richards who said the above.....

Old
05-31-2013, 10:52 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Eakins! Come on Slats.

Old
ThisYearsModel

Quote:
So, as I was going to bed last night, i was watching boomer and carton......really, more by accident, I had just finished watching the Detroit vs. NYR game where Coccur and Probert fought. Anyway..... I got to listen to both boomer and carton spout off about how they were either for or against torts getting fired. All of a sudden, boomer starts talking about how he had spoken to a highly respected player and vertan on the rangers squad about two months ago, and he was told that the team had basically turned on torts. The player said that the big core of players had begun to tune torts out and were getting tired of him. now......

1) Boomer wouldnt tell us who he was talking about......but did say however, that by what he had just said on air, you could probably figure it out....

2) Boomer then proceeded to say that he now thinks much less of said player and his level of respect for him has changed....

Does anybody have some insight on this?
I just don't understand why people are surprised about this. Coaches that act like Torts eventually wear out the players. Looking for a symptom of Torts losing the locker room? Terrible first period starts......the Buffalo and Florida games down the stretch.....these are prime examples. And I believe that he KNEW he was losing the players, as he changed from bully to the "I believe in my players" stuff late in the year. After the rant in Buffalo(we sucked), he changed, at least to the public and the press. I thought this was happening, and I feared that despite this, he was going to remain the coach. To say that I was delighted when hearing of his firing is an understatement. This team has holes....but they are more talented than they have looked over the past 12 months. Now we have to worry about Sather (who should have been canned 7 years ago) picking the right coach, but the Rangers are better off without the raging bully behind the bench.

Old
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrpassion View Post
Hm, the more I hear of Eakins, the more I like him.

Same here, he's my first choice. I believe Eakins would be a breath of fresh air for the players.

HUGE NO ON VIGNEAULT! No more retreads who suck and we all know who they are.

Old
05-31-2013, 11:00 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreiMeARiver View Post
HUGE NO ON VIGNEAULT! No more retreads who suck and we all know who they are.
Wasn't the same said about Joel Quennville?

Not advocating AV, but the fact he's a retread is not necessarily a bad thing.

05-31-2013, 11:01 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Callahan, Hagelin, Nash would be great players across the neutral zone.

By the way the 1-3-1 is a variation of the trap but it can be beat by quick passes and by creating four lanes giving 2 options in each zone. But any coach who can't beat the 1-3-1 shouldn't be in the NHL coaching anyway.
Lavvy? Lol

Old
05-31-2013, 11:01 AM
noupf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
I just don't understand why people are surprised about this. Coaches that act like Torts eventually wear out the players. Looking for a symptom of Torts losing the locker room? Terrible first period starts......the Buffalo and Florida games down the stretch.....these are prime examples. And I believe that he KNEW he was losing the players, as he changed from bully to the "I believe in my players" stuff late in the year. After the rant in Buffalo(we sucked), he changed, at least to the public and the press. I thought this was happening, and I feared that despite this, he was going to remain the coach. To say that I was delighted when hearing of his firing is an understatement. This team has holes....but they are more talented than they have looked over the past 12 months. Now we have to worry about Sather (who should have been canned 7 years ago) picking the right coach, but the Rangers are better off without the raging bully behind the bench.
while I agree with most of what you are saying about torts.......he was the type of coach that held players accountable, had structure and was like a drill sargent when it came to running the team. That can go a long way......when a team is winning.......in torts' case, their was only one real "success" and that was last years ECF appearance.

Now, I think boomer ( be a professional NFL player ) was trying to give insight as to what sort of went down this season. He seemed to be painting the picture that it wasn't the entire team that got sour on torts, but more like a group or the core of the team......and they may have dragged other players into the "let get rid of torts" camp. Apparently it started with a good player who boomer respected a lot......now, not so much respect he says.

I take what boomer says at face value, simply bc he was a professional athlete that saw the inside of a preffessional locket room for many years.

The point here......is this locker room a bunch of whiny cry babies who couldn't take the personal accountability anymore and hated his structure, so they came together to get rid of torts.......or were they just really tired of torts and his crazy comments, bi-polar type personality and other crap.

Boomers comments really make me think it was the first one.

Old
05-31-2013, 11:03 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Where does it say Vigneault and Eakins are in the mix?

Old
05-31-2013, 11:05 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

They got tired of the side show, and his abrasive personality. Has nothing to do with being whiny. People who are always passed and throwing good aren't fun to be around.

Old
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Where does it say Vigneault and Eakins are in the mix?
Dreger tweet quoted a few pages back.

Quote:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 18m
Rangers granted permission to speak with Dallas Eakins and Alain Vigneault. Eakins in contention in Van, NYR and Edmtn (assoc coach).

Old
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Lavvy? Lol

I didn't say it. By the way I was at that game - it was comical. The boos were SOOO loud haha.

Old
05-31-2013, 11:06 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
The point here......is this locker room a bunch of whiny cry babies who couldn't take the personal accountability anymore and hated his structure, so they came together to get rid of torts.......or were they just really tired of torts and his crazy comments, bi-polar type personality and other crap.

Boomers comments really make me think it was the first one.
If these rumors had started circulating in the early parts of his tenure, I'd probably buy into the whiny cry babies notion, but Torts has coached this team for parts of 5 seasons. That leads me to believe much more heavily in the latter.