Old
05-28-2013, 01:45 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
Ye I'll move 4 time zones for a volunteer position
I'm sure you can do your job from another country, it doesn't stop other IHUK officers

In all seriousness, looking at the job description, I think it is very unlikely they will find someone with the credentials they are asking for who would be willing to take on the job unpaid.

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 05-28-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
I'm sure you can do your job from another country, it doesn't stop other IHUK officers

In all seriousness, looking at the job description, I think it is very unlikely they will find someone with the credentials they are asking for who would be willing to take on the job unpaid.
If I'm not mistaken, the U20 & U18 job postings also said unpaid.

The job would be perfect for Pete Russell but I'd rather he stick with OHA and create a program for developing elite players there. Something tells me whoever gets this gig will have a lot of headaches in the form of IHUK higher ups

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Peter Russell ‏@PeteRussel 6m
I think this is honestly a fantastic approach. In the UK we should follow suit and make our age groups 11,13,15 & 17
If he adds U19, I'm in

Old
05-28-2013, 02:50 PM
Russian Spy

Quote:
Which part of London are you moving to? There are 3 junior clubs inside the city where your son could play. In North London there is Lee Valley and Haringey, and Streatham in South London. If you are willing to travel a bit further outside of the city, there are clubs in Guildford, Chelmsford and Slough, which are much better clubs with better coaches and would be better for your son especially when he is older.

Here are websites for the clubs inside the city:
http://www.leevalleylions.org.uk/
http://www.haringeyhockey.co.uk/
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/syihc1/
It's Hackney! Thank you very much for your answer i believe Lee Valley and Haringey are our options

Russian Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 03:09 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Spy View Post
It's Hackney! Thank you very much for your answer i believe Lee Valley and Haringey are our options
не за что Yes, Lee Valley and Haringey are both very close

Old
05-28-2013, 03:29 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

Quote:
If he adds U19, I'm in
He probably meant to. The reason they got rid of U19 in the first place was because insurance companies got funny about 15 year olds playing against adults. If you make the age groups odd numbers this problem is fixed because guys who start the season when they're 15 will still be in the U17 age group.

Old
05-28-2013, 04:14 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
He probably meant to. The reason they got rid of U19 in the first place was because insurance companies got funny about 15 year olds playing against adults. If you make the age groups odd numbers this problem is fixed because guys who start the season when they're 15 will still be in the U17 age group.
Now that I think about it we have a set up like "U11 U13 U15 U18"

When you hit 18 here, you're done minor hockey. You can find a Jr. C, B, or A team but considering our numbers, it's very few who play after age 18.

The thing I don't like that I seem to have picked up from THF is that there's a rule about playing up a level if your 2 years younger? IMO that's idiotic if the kid can play at that level, get him as much god damn ice time as possible that challenges him...

That rule would meant Kieran Brown can't play U16 for another year? He could have probably contributed significantly to a bad Bradford U16 team this year...

Old
05-28-2013, 04:34 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

Quote:
Now that I think about it we have a set up like "U11 U13 U15 U18"

When you hit 18 here, you're done minor hockey. You can find a Jr. C, B, or A team but considering our numbers, it's very few who play after age 18.

The thing I don't like that I seem to have picked up from THF is that there's a rule about playing up a level if your 2 years younger? IMO that's idiotic if the kid can play at that level, get him as much god damn ice time as possible that challenges him...

That rule would meant Kieran Brown can't play U16 for another year? He could have probably contributed significantly to a bad Bradford U16 team this year...
I believe the rule is you can't play up more than 1 age group. So a U14 couldn't play in the U18 league. It never used to be this way, like I said the insurance companies got funny. It wasn't uncommon to have good U14 players playing for the U19 team and you used to have guys like Stevie Lyle playing their first senior games when they were 14, now you have to be 16 to play adult hockey.

Old
05-30-2013, 10:51 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Great Britain Under-20s head coach Pete Russell has invited over 50 players to a Summer Identification Camp.

The camps will held on 19th June and 13th July at Ice Sheffield and will include classroom presentations, off-ice testing and on-ice sessions.

Russell said: "These two camps will be very demanding on and off the ice for every individual.

"From these camps we will select a squad to travel to Lithuania in August and also to the IIHF World Championship in December.

"During the process we will be testing players on and off the ice in a variety of areas.

"We are going to invest in the players as a person and in their hockey career. We are going to prepare them for future impact in the Great Britain senior team.

"Our team will always be ready and upholding highest levels of respect as we are representing our country, our association, our clubs and our families.

"At the end of the second camp there will be one-to-one meetings and each player will be given feedback."
Awesome, who are the 50 players?????????????????????????????????? lol

Old
05-30-2013, 10:56 AM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

50 sounds like an awful lot, there will be at least 20 of them with no hope in hell of making the team

but I suppose it is good that more players will benefit

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 05-30-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old
05-30-2013, 11:20 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
50 sounds like an awful lot, there will be at least 20 of them with no hope in hell of making the team

but I suppose it is good that more players will benefit
He could be inviting futures who won't make the team this year but will be the next few years

Old
05-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

Quote:
He could be inviting futures who won't make the team this year but will be the next few years
True

Old
05-30-2013, 01:46 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

Things seem to be looking up anyway, the "development officer" position is seriously flawed but at least IHUK seem to be making a little more effort than before. And now we've obviously got the right guy in charge of the U20's. GB seniors are also taking part in an international tournament in November, they'll be playing Hungary, Ukraine and Poland, whether they will take a full strength team or test some fringe players remains to be seen.

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 05-30-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old
05-30-2013, 02:05 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Things seem to be looking up anyway, the "development officer" position is seriously flawed but at least IHUK seem to be making a little more effort than before. And now we've obviously got the right guy in charge of the U20's. GB seniors are also taking part in an international tournament in November, they'll be playing Hungary, Ukraine and Poland, whether they will take a full strength team or test some fringe players remains to be seen.
Ye I view that development officer as 2 steps forward 1 step back... so progress lol

Doesn't look like there will be a total revamp of the system anytime soon so the little wins are big wins for the time being

Old
05-31-2013, 12:04 PM
MTLAzzurri

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could give me some insight into the level of hockey at the University level in the UK. A buddy of mine who played really low level rep here in Montreal is moving to the UK (U of Birmingham) for his masters (he's 23) and reckons he can crack one of the rosters. They apparently have 3 teams in different divisions, I cant quite figure out how it works to be honest. I don't mean to be arrogant but I assume the level of University hockey in the UK is probably not as competitive as in Canada.

His school has 3 teams in different divisions, if he can make one I would definitely go see one of his games. Thanks!

MTLAzzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:01 PM
Scarecrow Boat

I know nothing about the UK Uni hockey but from what I understand is they cater to anyone who wants to get involved. One of the guys in the area would obviously know more.

Reason for post:
http://www.peterboroughsportsaid.co....18s-ice-hockey
Quote:
Breaking News from Debbie (29/05/2013).......
Alex and Lewis have today received letters inviting them to trial for this year’s GB U20’s team!! So exciting, especially as they are both still only 16 years old.
Alex Whyte & Lewis Hook at invites for the U20 camp which we could have guessed but since a list isn't actually posted I'm going to try to piece something together lol

Old
05-31-2013, 03:01 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLAzzurri View Post
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could give me some insight into the level of hockey at the University level in the UK. A buddy of mine who played really low level rep here in Montreal is moving to the UK (U of Birmingham) for his masters (he's 23) and reckons he can crack one of the rosters. They apparently have 3 teams in different divisions, I cant quite figure out how it works to be honest. I don't mean to be arrogant but I assume the level of University hockey in the UK is probably not as competitive as in Canada.

His school has 3 teams in different divisions, if he can make one I would definitely go see one of his games. Thanks!
Uni hockey isn't very good at all. The third team will be pretty much beginners and play non-checking.

Old
05-31-2013, 03:10 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLAzzurri View Post

He'll definitely crack the first team, that said nothing will make his teammates hate him faster than lording it over the rest of them because he's from Canada.

AKA Brent Pope Syndrome.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 04:27 PM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
He'll definitely crack the first team, that said nothing will make his teammates hate him faster than lording it over the rest of them because he's from Canada.

AKA Brent Pope Syndrome.
There are a fair few decent Canadians playing div1 uni hockey so he may not be too dominant depending on what level he played. I watched the Nottingham varsity game a couple of years ago and though both teams were beefed up a bit by actual league players the standard didn't look too bad. Definitely no problem making the first team though if you've actually played organised hockey in your younger years.

Last edited by Propane Nightmares: 05-31-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old
06-09-2013, 09:09 AM
villevalo

Bracknell Bees have announced a large amount of two-way contracts with the junior club:

Ilya Antonov
Vanya Antonov
Brendan Baird
Tom Fisher
Jordan Gregory
Harvey Stead
Ryan Webb
Nick Mihinnick
Ben Paynter

villevalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 11:13 AM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

Tony Hand quits as GB coach

Old
06-20-2013, 11:42 AM
Scarecrow Boat

Quote:
Tony Hand quits as GB coach
Didn't take long

Old
06-24-2013, 12:22 PM
CapsandOilers

This might sound crazy but I would love to see Celtic and Rangers create hockey clubs!!

CapsandOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2013, 02:01 AM
Propane Nightmares
Sales & Marketing

Doug Christiansen named GB head coach

Old
08-02-2013, 12:17 PM
BMann

Sad news in that Norman de Mesquita has passed on. When I was growing up in the late eighties, his ice hockey reports in The Guardian were virtually the only information available to followers of ice hockey.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/me...a-8737344.html

BMann is offline   Reply With Quote