HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

STU Tommies

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2013, 10:17 AM
radapex

vCash: 500
Saw on Twitter last week that Matt Eagles will be heading to Memorial University's School of Medicine. Best of luck to him!

Old
03-21-2013, 07:24 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Who does Troy have coming back next year? It's been pretty quiet lately.

Old
03-27-2013, 05:09 AM
STUTOMMIES

From the today's Daily Gleaner

Quote:
An evaluation camp will be held Friday to Sunday. The games will be held Dec. 11-21 in Trentino, Italy.

Head coach Gardiner MacDougall of UNB and his assistants, Forbes MacPherson of UPEI and Brad Peddle of St. FX, will select between 35 and 42 players from the eight-team AUS to participate in the camp.

This will be based on their performance during the 2013-12 regular season and playoffs along with recommendation from their head coach.

The camp will begin Friday at 6 p.m. A number of on-ice and off-ice sessions will be held, including three intrasquad feature games, which will be open to the public.

The final intrasquad game goes Sunday at 1:30 p.m.

A further schedule and the list of participating players will be released Thursday.
Jon Groenheyde and Steve Sanza have been invited from the Tommies. They will be utilizing the Olympic ice surface at GHC and the Tommies dressing room facilities.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:24 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

If the games are held December 11-21 then there shouldn't be many, if any, AUS regular season games affected.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:53 PM
cookiecutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
Not about to go very far down this road, but in my observation, the girls on the team swear by "this guy." He's given 11 years to the program, he brought in an impressive rookie crop -- two of which, Emily Ryan and Emily Francis, were injured for the second half, which had a direct bearing on the production on the power play. We talked to him after the two games directly before the playoff tournament and mentioned concerns about the power play. He said he felt they were getting pucks toward the net more often, they just weren't going in. Not sure if that was the character of the pp against Saint Mary's or not -- didn't see the game.
But are you going to throw him under the bus because of a dormant pp. No. Perhaps if Blackmore is still around next fall, you bring her on as an assistant coach and give her pp responsibilities. But to gas a guy who is as committed as Peter Murphy is would be a HUGE mistake.
I agree! Blackmore could coach and Murphy could manage. That appears to be his strength.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:55 PM
gleanerguy

Not happening. Blackmore won't coach as long as anyone she playyed with is on the roster,,,so, five year waiting period. \just about the same time it takes her to get on the Wall of Fame, I bet

Old
04-09-2013, 07:02 PM
WilcoxHound

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerguy View Post
Not happening. Blackmore won't coach as long as anyone she playyed with is on the roster,,,so, five year waiting period. \just about the same time it takes her to get on the Wall of Fame, I bet
Is that 5 year thing a rule? I don't know the lady but it seems to me that if she was a team leader and had the respect of the room her team mates would welcome her as head coach.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:58 PM
gleanerguy

Personal rule. Both agree its best that way

Old
05-31-2013, 05:17 AM
HockeySchools

Troy Ryan has resigned as Head Coach of STU. Effective immediately.

I am betting on E. Bissonnette being named the new head coach soon.

Old
05-31-2013, 06:39 AM
HockeySchools

Don't be surprised if Troy ends up with a Jr. A in NB (northern).

Old
05-31-2013, 07:51 AM
bad refs

Are you suggesting Campbellton or Woodstock "Hockey schools"?

Old
05-31-2013, 07:55 AM
bad refs

This is not a huge surprise as it has been well known that Mike Eagles and Troy did not see eye to eye. I just hope that STU has the ability to land a good coach who can continue to bring the program forward.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:33 AM
cookiecutter

"Not about to go very far down this road, but in my observation, the girls on the team swear by "this guy." He's given 11 years to the program, he brought in an impressive rookie crop -- two of which, Emily Ryan and Emily Francis, were injured for the second half, which had a direct bearing on the production on the power play. We talked to him after the two games directly before the playoff tournament and mentioned concerns about the power play. He said he felt they were getting pucks toward the net more often, they just weren't going in. Not sure if that was the character of the pp against Saint Mary's or not -- didn't see the game.
But are you going to throw him under the bus because of a dormant pp. No. Perhaps if Blackmore is still around next fall, you bring her on as an assistant coach and give her pp responsibilities. But to gas a guy who is as committed as Peter Murphy is would be a HUGE mistake."

Just out of nothing to do a few weeks ago, I looked up their PP stats...other than for one or two years, you could have held this interview most years and the same words would be spoken.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:38 AM
cookiecutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySchools View Post
Troy Ryan has resigned as Head Coach of STU. Effective immediately.

I am betting on E. Bissonnette being named the new head coach soon.
I assume Gleaner Guy is already digging up file photos and post "biz"' FOR COACH, on his front lawn. I really liked Ryan... perhaps Murphy for coach GG? He and Eagles have been BF's for how many years now? I hope this does not spell the end of the Tommies.....perhaps back to Chatham.

Old
05-31-2013, 12:16 PM
rantfather

The loss of coach Ryan to the men's hockey is very.Sad.
We ALL know who orchestrated this event and yet he remains and Troy is gone.
As the host of supporters know there will be.no improvement as long as the current ATHLETIC Director is allowed to continue meddhling in something he knows NOTHING about.

Good Luck.TROY and sorry to see you go.

RANTFATHER,.STU, BA 68

Old
05-31-2013, 12:21 PM
SnipeShow91

This is just crazy news. But I don't know why everyone is jumping on the bandwagon to blame Mike for this one. TROY put in his 2 weeks, I don't see anywhere except in people's own imagination where Mike made him quit.

Old
05-31-2013, 12:49 PM
bad refs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
This is just crazy news. But I don't know why everyone is jumping on the bandwagon to blame Mike for this one. TROY put in his 2 weeks, I don't see anywhere except in people's own imagination where Mike made him quit.
It is very well known that Mike and Troy have not seen eye to eye. Mike has stifled the program for quite sometime first as a coach and now as AD. Troy had vision and candor to make change. Cuts made to the program before the beginning of last season make it hard to recruit and continue to move the program forward. Is Troy to take some of the blame? For sure, however, to try and say Mike has no part in this is pure naivety. Mike tied Troy's hands many of times, thus not giving the program what it needs to genuinely compete and grow.

Old
05-31-2013, 12:54 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad refs View Post
It is very well known that Mike and Troy have not seen eye to eye. Mike has stifled the program for quite sometime first as a coach and now as AD. Troy had vision and candor to make change. Cuts made to the program before the beginning of last season make it hard to recruit and continue to move the program forward. Is Troy to take some of the blame? For sure, however, to try and say Mike has no part in this is pure naivety. Mike tied Troy's hands many of times, thus not giving the program what it needs to genuinely compete and grow.
If it came down to recruiting dollars like I believe it did, thats more STU's fault if anything. Remember, STU just poured a boatload of bucks into the GHC and a fresh set of jerseys. Funding in the school also cuts back dollars to spend on travel and time and energy on getting players to come. But again, Troy was the one kicking players off the team like its junior hockey and playing with 3 lines. And this timing is terrible. As a CIS asst coach myself, if you leave now, right at the start of June, it will cripple the program for a few years

Old
05-31-2013, 01:11 PM
gleanerguy

Cookie cutter: Buzz off you troll.

Old
05-31-2013, 01:16 PM
bad refs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
If it came down to recruiting dollars like I believe it did, thats more STU's fault if anything. Remember, STU just poured a boatload of bucks into the GHC and a fresh set of jerseys. Funding in the school also cuts back dollars to spend on travel and time and energy on getting players to come. But again, Troy was the one kicking players off the team like its junior hockey and playing with 3 lines. And this timing is terrible. As a CIS asst coach myself, if you leave now, right at the start of June, it will cripple the program for a few years
It may well have been recruiting dollars as you say.... The GHC was allocated a lot of money yes, but, if you can't put a quality team on the ice what difference does it make that you sink the money into the GHC. The Jersey's were part of a deal with Reebok. I agree the timing is not right and it will make it hard to move forward. I really think Troy's hands were tied though and to make this decision. As for kicking off players... He made adjustments to the team that he felt were needed. I am sure he wasn't keen on kicking guys off just because he wanted too. He inherited a group that wasn't his and needed his players to buy in and some chose not too. When I was at Dal, some guys bought in to the new philosophy and others didn't. If you choose not to by in you had little chance of keeping your spot. keep in mind that this was when Darrell left the program.

Old
05-31-2013, 01:17 PM
bad refs

Gleaner guy... Any ideas of the real story here and who may replace Troy?

Old
05-31-2013, 01:38 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Is STU the next MTA

The timing sucks as this is prime recruiting time

This leads me to believe it's a bit about funding (nothing for travel to visit players, bring players here for a visit, limited AFAs) and a bit personality/philosophy (if you think you need x-y-z to be successful and you only get half of x, a little of y and no z - well then you don't see a chance at being successful so you move on to a program that thinks the way you do.

I don't know if Eric or any new coach will be successful until the school and program show some support or change in the structure of the organization (and I mean really push in that direction - everyone talks about support publicly, because you can't say otherwise - 'Yes, we will field a team, but we don't intend to compete and we have limited financial resources, so we're not looking to improve in the near future' - you can't say that)

This is starting to look a lot like MTA Men's Hockey (and we know what happened there). If STU doesn't turn it around soon, I can't see them wanting to stay in the league (which translates into all teams make the playoffs, top team gets a bye).

Dips on Groenheyde if STU folds

Last edited by Drummer: 05-31-2013 at 01:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old
05-31-2013, 01:39 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad refs View Post
It may well have been recruiting dollars as you say.... The GHC was allocated a lot of money yes, but, if you can't put a quality team on the ice what difference does it make that you sink the money into the GHC. The Jersey's were part of a deal with Reebok. I agree the timing is not right and it will make it hard to move forward. I really think Troy's hands were tied though and to make this decision. As for kicking off players... He made adjustments to the team that he felt were needed. I am sure he wasn't keen on kicking guys off just because he wanted too. He inherited a group that wasn't his and needed his players to buy in and some chose not too. When I was at Dal, some guys bought in to the new philosophy and others didn't. If you choose not to by in you had little chance of keeping your spot. keep in mind that this was when Darrell left the program.
The Leduc releasing was warranted. But still, its embarassing to have a program with 3 healthy lines and 5 defense and Groenhyde having to make 70 saves a night just to keep with close. And also cutting guys like Cheremtiev and Henegan at the end of the season, then you quit without anyone coming in. Program is crippled.

Old
05-31-2013, 02:09 PM
AUS Fan

I spoke with Troy in Saskatoon, and while he didn't come right out and say it, I could read that there was friction between him and Mike and also a lack of funding which would hinder the program going forward.
Nothing good can come from this, no matter who comes in to coach, unless the money and the will is there. I don't think either of those things are.....

Old
05-31-2013, 02:17 PM
AUS Fan

bad refs: "When I was at Dal, some guys bought in to the new philosophy and others didn't. If you choose not to by in you had little chance of keeping your spot. keep in mind that this was when Darrell left the program."

Darrell didn't actually leave, he was fired. Some of his players ( the Captain, the goalie, the "twins" and a few more ) turned on him at the end of the season.

Closed Thread