HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread 2012-13 (Part IV)

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2013, 03:01 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
No idea why we wouldn't sign Yuen. In all my viewings he's been solid if unspectacular. Definitely worth the time more than a few other guys we've given contracts to.

Old
05-31-2013, 04:50 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

vCash: 500
welli guess we officially didn't sign Yuen... at the very least we certainly didn't officially announce signing him... I sure hope he's signed and True North just did it so discreetly nobody noticed.

Old
05-31-2013, 06:39 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Well, barring a last minute signing that's still being processed by the NHL Central Registry, looks like Yuen is going unsigned and is no longer Jets property. Weird.

Being a 4th round pick, is it fair to declare Yuen the first official bust of Jets 2.0?

Old
05-31-2013, 06:50 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Still holding out hope that Yuen and Raanta have been discretely signed.

Old
05-31-2013, 07:27 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Cody Nickolet ‏@WHLFromAbove 9h
Still pretty surprised that Zach Yuen hasn't been signed by the Winnipeg Jets. He's a very underrated prospect at a key position.
Quote:
Shawn Reznik ‏@ShawnTHW 4h
@WHLFromAbove How long do they have? Until 11:59pm tonight?
Quote:
Cody Nickolet ‏@WHLFromAbove 4h
@ShawnTHW I believe the deadline is actually that time tomorrow.
Can anyone confirm this? Maybe there's another day yet to announce this signing?

#YuenWatch

Old
05-31-2013, 07:35 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Can anyone confirm this? Maybe there's another day yet to announce this signing?

#YuenWatch
I sure hope so. Still odd they would go to the final day. I just can't make sense of not signing a young defenseman like Yuen, who you just drafted in the 4th round 2 years ago, and who by all indications has had a really solid and respectable 3 years in the WHL. It just makes zero sense to me to not sign him, especially when we pride ourselves so much in building through the draft.

05-31-2013, 07:43 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I sure hope so. Still odd they would go to the final day. I just can't make sense of not signing a young defenseman like Yuen, who you just drafted in the 4th round 2 years ago, and who by all indications has had a really solid and respectable 3 years in the WHL. It just makes zero sense to me to not sign him, especially when we pride ourselves so much in building through the draft.
This, exactly this.

I really want to find out what's going on here, and I figure we'll know soon enough.

Old
05-31-2013, 07:55 PM
Huffer

If he does get signed, what would have been the point in leaving it to the last second?

Old
05-31-2013, 08:12 PM
Rheged
JMFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post

#YuenWatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005 CBA
(ii) Subject to the provisions of subsection (iii) below and Sections (b)
and (c) below, if, on or before June 1 of the calendar year next
succeeding the Entry Draft, the claiming Club makes a Bona Fide
Offer (as defined below) to its claimed Player of an SPC, the Club
shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for the services of
such Player up to and including the second June 1 following the
date of his selection.
That would seem to indicate that they have tomorrow as well, still, as has been said, odd to leave it that long either way.

Old
05-31-2013, 08:12 PM
ps241
Drunken rant!

I will wait for word one way or the other to make my comments on Yuen.

Old
05-31-2013, 08:14 PM
Waldo

If they signed him there will likely be an announcement tomorrow. If they decided not to, then I wonder what it is that they didn't like? I've been watching the boxscores for all our CHL prospects and statistically he didn't have as good a season as his draft year so there is something in his game Chevy and the scouts don't like. He doesn't have great size so maybe they were looking for offense and he didn't show enough. Maybe they don't like his defensive game and are looking for physical defensive defencemen. We have enough offensive defencemen already. I suppose they don't want to pay for his development if he can't provide what they want.

IMO you can't have too many defencemen and St.J isn't really stacked, but like most of us, I've never seen Yuen play so I have to trust that the scouts have been paying attention to him and they don't like what they see. We'll know by tomorrow one way or the other.

Old
05-31-2013, 08:30 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
If they signed him there will likely be an announcement tomorrow. If they decided not to, then I wonder what it is that they didn't like? I've been watching the boxscores for all our CHL prospects and statistically he didn't have as good a season as his draft year so there is something in his game Chevy and the scouts don't like. He doesn't have great size so maybe they were looking for offense and he didn't show enough. Maybe they don't like his defensive game and are looking for physical defensive defencemen. We have enough offensive defencemen already. I suppose they don't want to pay for his development if he can't provide what they want.

IMO you can't have too many defencemen and St.J isn't really stacked, but like most of us, I've never seen Yuen play so I have to trust that the scouts have been paying attention to him and they don't like what they see. We'll know by tomorrow one way or the other.
Problem is we should be looking at him relative to Chiarot, Sol, O`Neill and Melchiori, not what is currently on the roster.

Offensively he has had more production than any with the possible exception of O`Neill... and he showed that this season with being the PPQB of his team and plus having higher pts/gp than any of the three that went through CHL (and that includes Sol and Melchiori's OA season). He had a huge offensive explosion in the last quarter of the season and was a large reason for pushing the TCA into the playoffs.

I did watch a lot of him and I'd say he's more defensive than all of the above with maybe the exception of Melchiori. He did lineup against the other teams top lines from what I saw but I don't have statistical data to back up my hunches with evidence. His skating and gap control have always led most scouts to project him as more of a defensive defensemen with possibility of being a 2-way guy if he can learn O in pro.

Old
05-31-2013, 08:35 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
Curious, no word whatsoever? I find it really unusual that the Jets wouldn't extend an offer to Yuen. He seemed like a solid pick, nothing spectacular and he wasn't terrible either. With an organization lacking so much depth you'd think they'd sign this kid without a second thought.

I honestly expect some type of an announcement tonight or tomorrow.

Old
05-31-2013, 11:36 PM
meedle

Anyone know if we are close to the 50 contract roster limit or the 90 player max reserve list?

Old
06-01-2013, 12:05 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
I don't see Yuen's offence carrying forward in a big way. I really liie his defensive tools though. His skating and ability to change directions without losing speed is awesome. He is really a smart player too.

Old
06-01-2013, 12:24 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
If they have until tomorrow to sign him, then I am not worried. We aren't so stacked that we can afford to let prospects go for nothing. If that happens, I can only see 2 reasons why; Yuen refused to sign or Chevy and crew saw something they didn't like that trumped his entire toolset.

Old
06-01-2013, 01:15 AM
Rheged
JMFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by meedle View Post
Anyone know if we are close to the 50 contract roster limit or the 90 player max reserve list?
Capgeek currently has us with 19 contracts going into next season, which seems a little crazy but we have kind of an insane amount of guys going to UFA/RFA this offseason. Obviously I'd expect a pretty good chunk of the RFA's at least to be retained but I doubt we'll be anywhere close 50 when all is said and done.

Certainly shouldn't be much of a worry when it comes to signing Yuen and/or Brassard.

Old
06-01-2013, 06:26 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
The WFP stated this morning that the Jets have until 4pm today to sign Yuen and Brassard. See, no worries. This is like when the CBA went to the 11th hour, or when they signed Kaner.

Old
06-01-2013, 07:41 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
The WFP stated this morning that the Jets have until 4pm today to sign Yuen and Brassard. See, no worries. This is like when the CBA went to the 11th hour, or when they signed Kaner.
Yup, small details. Lol.

Anyways, still be shocked if Yuen signed today. This is not something complex like a CBA or critical like a key re-signing of a core player. This is standard ELC for a depth prospect.

And I'd be absolutely flabbergasted if Brassard was signed.

Old
06-01-2013, 08:53 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 23h

Broadhurst, Quine, Kichton, Yuen RT @TBonnar: @coreypronman who do you see as the top CHL players from the 2011 draft that have yet to sign?

Old
06-01-2013, 02:33 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Jets signed brassard
Per Scott brown

Old
06-01-2013, 02:35 PM
JustBeCool
boom shakalaka

I would be shocked if Yuen doesn't get signed. He sounded like a solid pickup. Hmmmmm...... time is a tickin'

Old
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

interesting!

Old
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Yuen has to happen. No way we sign Brassard over Yuen.

Old
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnASilverMountain View Post
Jets signed brassard
Per Scott brown
Next up: Yeun.

Closed Thread