HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 7/3) *Part IV*

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2013, 09:13 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law

Noreau is a BAMF.

Old
05-31-2013, 09:18 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Also, pretty sure this is the only picture where Noreau is remotely smiling.

Old
05-31-2013, 09:18 PM
eco's bones

Fotiu went some way towards addressing the imbalance. Big and fast--Fotiu could really skate for a big guy. Problem was he never really got a hockey education. He was born in Staten Island--there was no Canadian major junior A for him or Division 1 college hockey and he started skating as a teenager. Considering all that his turning into a pretty decent player was quite remarkable. That's the kind of stuff worthy of making into a movie script.

Guys like Beck and Greschner could handle themselves but the Rangers needed those two on the ice as much as possible.

Johnstone was a gritty guy but tiny--maybe a little bigger than Zuccarello. Bert Wilson--very tough but not a good player or skater. George McPhee--but he was always hurt--busting up his hands.

Traditionally the Rangers have always leaned to skilled smaller guys who can make pretty--sometimes breathtaking plays----occasionally it would work--the smurfs upsetting the Flyers. Playoff hockey though is a down and dirty time. Skating and skill still matter but size, grit, controlled nastiness will give one team an edge over another all things being equal. Special teams is another way of gaining an edge. Our special teams against Boston sucked.

Old
05-31-2013, 09:20 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Also, pretty sure this is the only picture where Noreau is remotely smiling.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
05-31-2013, 09:22 PM
Lindberg Cheese

Can we genetically combine Noreau and McIlrath into one player?

Old
05-31-2013, 09:25 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
It's hysterical. All his pictures are either a minor smirk or this super serious terminator look. He has greasy, Letang-esque hair now, too.

Old
05-31-2013, 09:25 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindberg Cheese View Post
Can we genetically combine Noreau and McIlrath into one player?
Why? I'd much rather have both of them.

With that said, I wonder if they throw down during training camp.

Old
05-31-2013, 09:26 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Makes me question why McIlrath was picked so high when you can McIlrath-lite players in round 5 in draft. Not hating on McI, just question the pick still.

There's a massive difference in their skating ability. McI can hit and get back in position using his speed. He can take the puck and skate up from the blue line to the blue line, and even deep behind the net. His speed skating is as good as many guys half a foot shorter than him. He needs to work on his steps when someone is trying to go around him, but that is a coachable issue, whereas pure skating is not.

Noreau, on the other hand, is relatively immobile. Unlike McI, he can't get out of position and use his speed to get back quickly. He needs to be planted around the net and his hits should come when he lurks quickly behind the net, and never to the side boards.

McI can be a first pair defenseman, as good as Beukeboom, maybe better because he's faster and stronger. Noreau is hoping to become another Eric Cairns, who had a decent 9-year career as a #6/7 defenseman. That would be enough money for Noreau to be set for the rest of his life, but it would mean that he's a very replaceable player for the Rangers. Worse yet, he might become another Rumun Ndur. Either way, don't expect a significant contribution from Noreau.

With MCI, anything short of top-4 would be a disappointment because he has the potential to be an absolutely irreplaceable player for the team.

Old
05-31-2013, 09:43 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Imagine the toughness? Lucic up front, Mac and Sammy The Bull on the back end?

I like the nickname "Sammy The Bull" for Noreau.

Old
05-31-2013, 09:48 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I would absolutely love it if Noreau could develop into being able to take a regular shift at the NHL level. Noone doubts his toughness or intimidation factor. I welcome it with huge gaping open arms. I hope he can develop capable mobility.

Either way, definitely glad he was signed.

05-31-2013, 09:50 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Saying Noreau is "relatively immobile" is simply ignoring the progress he's made, skating wise, since he was drafted. That may have been true during his first season. It is no longer true. He's not the fastest or the best skater, but he is far from "relatively immobile."

And yeah -- Sammy The Bull is the only nickname he should ever be allowed to have.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:01 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I like that he doesn't smile....let him destroy people on the ice and do plenty of charity off of it.

It's good the Rangers are getting toughness. Nobody will mess with the Pack next year.

Rangers need toughness with the division they're in and having that "everyone wants to take down New York" target on their back.

Is it any coincidence that the four toughest Rangers team in the last 30+ years all had some good to great success?

1981-They gooned their way to the Semis. Guys like Beck, Hospodar, Fotiu, cleaned house.

1986-They weren't the biggest or most talented bunch but they had a lot of toughness which helped them get to the ECF.

1994-obvious.

2012-ECF.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:14 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Saying Noreau is "relatively immobile" is simply ignoring the progress he's made, skating wise, since he was drafted. That may have been true during his first season. It is no longer true. He's not the fastest or the best skater, but he is far from "relatively immobile."

And yeah -- Sammy The Bull is the only nickname he should ever be allowed to have.

That's why I said "relatively" immobile. He is alright when compared to Cairns, Ndur and Purinton, but he's just not going to carry the puck half the length of the ice the way McIlrath or Moore can. This is someone who you want to plant in front of the net, and his primary offensive contribution should come off nice, crisp first passes out of the zone.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:22 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
That's why I said "relatively" immobile. He is alright when compared to Cairns, Ndur and Purinton, but he's just not going to carry the puck half the length of the ice the way McIlrath or Moore can. This is someone who you want to plant in front of the net, and his primary offensive contribution should come off nice, crisp first passes out of the zone.
Honestly asking - you see DM on the level? Only saw 1 or 2 Whale games after he came back. Curious to hear your opinion. McIlrath is definitely a good straight ahead skater...but can he make the cuts (and anticipate the cuts) to be able to rush the puck up ice? Can he adapt if his line gets cut off?

Old
05-31-2013, 10:52 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
There's a massive difference in their skating ability. McI can hit and get back in position using his speed. He can take the puck and skate up from the blue line to the blue line, and even deep behind the net. His speed skating is as good as many guys half a foot shorter than him. He needs to work on his steps when someone is trying to go around him, but that is a coachable issue, whereas pure skating is not.

Noreau, on the other hand, is relatively immobile. Unlike McI, he can't get out of position and use his speed to get back quickly. He needs to be planted around the net and his hits should come when he lurks quickly behind the net, and never to the side boards.

McI can be a first pair defenseman, as good as Beukeboom, maybe better because he's faster and stronger. Noreau is hoping to become another Eric Cairns, who had a decent 9-year career as a #6/7 defenseman. That would be enough money for Noreau to be set for the rest of his life, but it would mean that he's a very replaceable player for the Rangers. Worse yet, he might become another Rumun Ndur. Either way, don't expect a significant contribution from Noreau.

With MCI, anything short of top-4 would be a disappointment because he has the potential to be an absolutely irreplaceable player for the team.
I believe Jeff Beukeboom was a very choppy skater. From what is advertised, McIlrath is an excellent skater with a similar mean streak and net presence. I've learned to accept him as a guy who's top upside could be Brooks Orpik lite, another excellent skating dman with a nasty edge. Still don't think it was worth drafting that high for him. Beukeboom was a bottom pair defender without a franchise defender attached on his pairing. Orpik gets carried by Kris Letang. I don't agree with picking these big, rugged, limited offense d-man early in the draft.

Old
05-31-2013, 11:00 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Okay perhaps Beuk wasn't a choppy skater, he was a good skater, but not great. He made a lot of bad pinches/defensive reads and Leetch covered up for him since he wasn't nearly fast enough to get back.

Old
05-31-2013, 11:11 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:

I liked his skating at traverse last year as a matter of fact. I thought it looked a hell of a lot more refined then McIlrath.

Old
05-31-2013, 11:38 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Noreau was excellent at Traverse City because he kept his game simple and did all the things a stay at home DMan is supposed to do. He was also playing third pair so they didn't expect/demand much offense from him.

McLIrath was the first pair so he carried the load. He was fine when he was playing defense and his breakout passes were good. When he tried to rush the puck or went chasing after opposing players, that's when he got caught out of position and got in trouble.

Neither are going to be point producers at the NHL level. If both make it, they're going to play the "bad cop" to a more offensive minded partner "good cop."

Old
06-01-2013, 12:01 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Honestly asking - you see DM on the level? Only saw 1 or 2 Whale games after he came back. Curious to hear your opinion. McIlrath is definitely a good straight ahead skater...but can he make the cuts (and anticipate the cuts) to be able to rush the puck up ice? Can he adapt if his line gets cut off?

He's not as good at puck rushing as Moore, I just made a point that he's capable of doing it every now and then, while Noreau cannot. So on a scale of 1-10, Leetch was a 10, Moore is a 6, McIlrath is a 4 and Noreau is a 1.

Old
06-03-2013, 12:44 PM
bernmeister

I am disappointed Ceresnak has not been retained.
It's not that I think he improved THAT much, but enough, IMO to warrant retaining against a couple of the guys we still have on the roster. And he's a righty.

Noreau, yes, I'm pleased.
McColgan = meh, would have been nice to have another asset, but they can't all make the cut.

Old
06-03-2013, 02:57 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
It's not that I think he improved THAT much, but enough, IMO to warrant retaining against a couple of the guys we still have on the roster. And he's a righty.

McColgan = meh, would have been nice to have another asset, but they can't all make the cut.
Ceresnak could have been the next Tysen Dowzak! And to think we let him go. For shame.

Seriously though, Ceresnak sucks.

It's just pain.
Old
06-03-2013, 03:04 PM
LetterJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post

I watched all of the games of the Memorial Cup, and focused on Nicholls and McColgan when the Blades were playing (due to their status as NYR prospects). I was disappointed in McColgan, as I found him undersized and he did not seem to have the offense abilities to overcome his lack of size. Following the Mem Cup, I was not at all surprised that he was not offered a contract.

Old
06-03-2013, 05:02 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Ceresnak could have been the next Tysen Dowzak! And to think we let him go. For shame.

Seriously though, Ceresnak sucks.
Good one!

But seriously, yes he partially sucketh, but I gather was still a better investment or upside than some of the other guys we have.

BTW, didn't he get some improvement in some ratings from somewhere w/in the past year?

Old
06-03-2013, 05:04 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetterJ View Post
I watched all of the games of the Memorial Cup, and focused on Nicholls and McColgan when the Blades were playing (due to their status as NYR prospects). I was disappointed in McColgan, as I found him undersized and he did not seem to have the offense abilities to overcome his lack of size. Following the Mem Cup, I was not at all surprised that he was not offered a contract.
If I was not entirely clear, I agree.

Old
06-03-2013, 05:34 PM
eco's bones

Ceresnak did well in the WJC but in the OHL he was not very good. IMO--if anyone didn't deserve a contract it was him.

Closed Thread