HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

2014 Sochi Olympics Scandal; Most Expensive Olympics in History

Old
05-31-2013, 07:11 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
2014 Sochi Olympics Scandal; Most Expensive Olympics in History

The leader of Putin's main opposition is accusing his government of fraud, of theft & graft on a level that is beyond even Olympian proportions, and could in fact cause all kinds of problems in the execution of any number of events including of course hockey, safety & security of paramount concern. Heres but one article of many that have been hitting over the last day or so...

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201...i-olympics-all

Former French alpine skiing great Jean Claude Killy who now heads up the IOC Coordination Commission said "I dont recall an Olympics without corruption", going on to say that that doesnt make it right, but to be expected. However on the scale were talking about here, $30B missing, cost over-runs 5X's over budget, contracts awarded without tender etc etc etc, Investigators & Prosecutors now getting involved, could be some serious fallout, never mind shoddy construction practices that could result in some facilities jeopardizing the competitors & audiences safety, including of course the worlds premier hockey talents....

Last edited by Fugu: 07-13-2013 at 08:41 PM. Reason: title updated after merge
Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 07:12 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Billion with a B?

Holy...

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 07:15 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

that's it, move 'em to Innsbruck

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
goalieboy82

i have a bad feeling about the 2014 Sochi Olympics (some kind of attack there). after what happen in boston in april, i just dont know about the safety at these types of events (it only takes one)

goalieboy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Billion with a B?

Holy...
Ya, with a B. App $12.4B originally budgeted, now just north
of $50B, $30B of that gone missing, cant be accounted for.

Old
05-31-2013, 07:17 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

Listen guys, my parents are from the Soviet Union. I grew around these kind of people. Don't worry, it's par for the course.

Starbuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 07:28 PM
Zine

Yeah, everybody listen to Boris Nemtsov. Good lord.

The guy is a POS who helped sell Russia and thousands of lives up the river in the 1990's.

All ya need to know:
“I had heard back in London that the Governor of the [Nizhny Novgorod] province, Boris Nemtsov, was … committed to a radical programme of what some call Thatcherism but what I had always regarded as commonsense,” - Margaret Thatcher

Last edited by Zine: 05-31-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 07:28 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieboy82 View Post
i have a bad feeling about the 2014 Sochi Olympics (some kind of attack there). after what happen in boston in april, i just dont know about the safety at these types of events (it only takes one)
Theres that of course, and Security Costs are usually treble whats Budgeted and those have yet to be determined. That combined with notoriously lax building codes in Russia... someone with a straw and a good set of lungs could prolly do a lot of damage.

Old
05-31-2013, 07:30 PM
goalieboy82

i hope nothing happens, but i just dont know anymore.

goalieboy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 08:03 PM
MotorMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Blazers View Post
Fraud and corruption? In Russia? Who would have thought?
Because fraud and corruption never happens over here.

MotorMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 08:16 PM
Hanji

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorMaster View Post
We have the same **** here, just less transparent.
When corporations are given the same rights as human beings based on the 14th Amendment, you know corruption has also reached an apex in America.

Hanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 08:24 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Any idea how far along the upgrades and construction have come, e.g., are they likely to be ready for the Olympics? Timetable?

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 08:34 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Maybe this is where Alexander Medvedev's getting all of his money from for the KHL huh? His vodka drinkin Comrade Vladimir Putin. Do a lot of damage to the NHL with a $30B or any denomination thereof War Chest. 20,000 seaters springin up overnight from Moscow to Minsk, Halifax ta Helsinki.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:04 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorMaster View Post
Its no where near obvious as it is over there. We keep it more discrete!

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:23 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Any idea how far along the upgrades and construction have come, e.g., are they likely to be ready for the Olympics? Timetable?

For hockey, Bolshoy Ice Dome has already been completed. Was the main venue for this year's U-18.

MOD

Last edited by Fugu: 05-31-2013 at 10:25 PM. Reason: I'll keep an eye on that stuff :)
Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:25 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

wow, sweet arena

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:26 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanji View Post
We have the same **** here, just less transparent.
When corporations are given the same rights as human beings based on the 14th Amendment, you know corruption has also reached an apex in America.

We just think it's reasonable for cities of 200K people to pay $100 MM for parking rights they already own.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 12:53 AM
kaiser matias

These numbers should be taken with caution. It is the opposition talking here, their entire purpose is to be critical of everything Putin touches, good or bad. And since it is Russia and Putin we are talking about, they are going to get a lot of coverage, regardless of what evidence they have.

Contrast this with remarks made by IOC President Jacques Rogge, who said Russia is doing quite well in preparation for the Olympics.

Rogge: Russia on Track for Fantastic Sochi 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalieboy82 View Post
Regarding this, I would argue that since the Russian's are well aware that any incident would reflect very poorly on them, they are going to take every precaution to ensure nothing happens. There will likely be more security at Sochi than any Olympics prior, especially considering the region. Also consider that while the Caucasus have been a volatile region in the past, it is not as bad as it once was. The current President of Chechnya is a close ally of Putin and has a fairly strong grip on the region; while he obviously can't control everyone, it has made a difference. And while the guys from Boston were ethnically Chechen, they grew up in Kyrgyzstan and the US, and had little physical connection with Chechnya or the separatist movements there.

And while a few of you may be aware that Sochi is about 15km from the Georgian border, and Russia and Georgia fought a brief war in 2008, I would say that is an unfounded concern. First off, while it is the internationally recognised border of Georgia, the region is Abkhazia, a de facto independent state that has been free from Georgian control since the break up of the Soviet Union, and is a close ally of Russia (being one of only a few countries in the world to recognise Abkhazia as independent). Secondly, the new Georgian Prime Minister has recently said that he will provide any assistance to Russia regarding security that they want, if they are willing to cooperate in the matter. The Georgians aren't stupid; they won't attack the Olympics.

kaiser matias is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 01:11 AM
Rob

I wonder how much in bribes were paid out to FIFA for 2018 WC?

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 01:42 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Russia has been branded "a virtual Mafia State" in leaked US Diplomatic Cables, and though one must look at Putins main opponents numbers somewhat sceptically, to make such an outrageous claim which is then barely addressed let alone refuted is beyond troubling. The FIFA bid was absolutely rigged & fixed, actually exposed, the Russians offering to provide several delegates on the 22 member voting board from 3rd World Countries "support" in the form of "aide in building new stadiums" & other "gifts", while England, Russias main competitor doesnt even make it past the 1st round of voting with the strongest bid. The British press was blamed by FIFA for making spurious allegations, ruining the UK's chances. Then to add insult to injury, the tiny desert state of Qatar, who has never even qualified for a World Cup berth gets awarded the 2022 WC.

Old
06-01-2013, 02:03 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Then to add insult to injury, the tiny desert state of Qatar, who has never even qualified for a World Cup berth gets awarded the 2022 WC.
Yeah, I was just going to say, probably less than Qatar paid in bribes for 2022. Nothing new. FIFA is about as corrupt as it gets.

Ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 03:17 AM
epo

I can't even believe Qatar made a bid, let alone that they won. Not only do most of the stadiums not exist yet, the city that the main stadium is going to be built in doesn't even exist yet. If you don't consider corruption in FIFA, keeping the Coyotes in Glendale and putting the expansion teams in Phoenix and Scottsdale makes more sense.

epo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 04:22 AM
Canadiens1958

1976 Montreal Olympics

The child of Mayor Jean Drapeau - see quotations paragraph of the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Drapeau

"The Olympics can no more lose money than a man can have a baby."

The Montreal Olympic deficit topped 1 Billion. A few generations later, after trips to other nations, we are introduced to the Russian relative living in Sochi.

The Montreal Olympic Stadium is an impressive structure built on the site that as kids growing up we called Morgan Hill. Tobogganing in the winter, soap box derby in the summer. Hardly used today. Proposals include converting it to a mini storage.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 05:58 AM
Highlander23

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by epo View Post
I can't even believe Qatar made a bid, let alone that they won. Not only do most of the stadiums not exist yet, the city that the main stadium is going to be built in doesn't even exist yet. If you don't consider corruption in FIFA, keeping the Coyotes in Glendale and putting the expansion teams in Phoenix and Scottsdale makes more sense.
I can tell you one thing though, with the money they have, they could build a city as big as new york in one year, not even kidding

Highlander23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 07:48 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

The idea of building a city to host a one-time sporting event is just flabbergasting. Suggests a total disconnect with fundamental economic and urban-planning theory.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote