HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks 2013 draft talk

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2013, 09:56 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

vCash: 500
Sharks 2013 draft talk

So who does everybody want the Sharks to select?

I like Zykov at pick 20 if he's available. And I really think Connor Hurley has SJ Shark written all over him in 2nd round.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:16 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

I like Bo Horvat, but I fear that Detroit would certainly take him.

Josh Morrissey, Ryan Pulock, both are good. We could potentially trade up if DW likes anybody.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:27 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

I'd rather go with a faster more skilled guy than Zykov. We have enough bad skaters already. Shinkaruk or Horvat would be the guys I would try to get at 20 if they are available.

I like Hurley and wouldn't mind getting him in round 2. Only problem is that he is the youngest guy in the draft and might not be in the NHL for a little while.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:28 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
I like Bo Horvat, but I fear that Detroit would certainly take him.

Josh Morrissey, Ryan Pulock, both are good. We could potentially trade up if DW likes anybody.
Do not want a Dman in round one unless we get an extra 1st. Then the Dman I would want is Morrissey.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:29 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Sharks picks:

1st round: 20th overall

Guys I think will be available (and worth it) in this range:

Adam Erne- Big powerforward type. Fantastic skater. Somehow he's fallen a lot in the past few months because of some supposed disciplinary issues with Patrick Roy. I don't buy it as a serious issue. From scouting reports and highlights I've seen, he looks like a serious potential top-6 forward. He plays a north-south game, uses his size and skating ability to drive the net, has a great shot and good hands in close.

Andre Burakovsky- I see him as the biggest boom-bust guy in the draft. He has top-line skills, but significant risk factor. Struggled to get minutes in Sweden this year and was left of the WJC because of that. However, he's got pretty good size and great speed, great hands, and seems like he could be a very good possession player. A comp I've seen is Alex Semin, which I would buy. He looked phenomenal to me at the U18's, flying up and down the ice and creating a lot of space and offense.

Valentin Zykov- Prototypical power-forward type. Not a fast skater, but average at worst and amazingly strong on his skates. Put up great numbers as a rookie in the QMJHL this season. Committed to two-way play. Pretty much the anti-Russian stereotype.

Guys that we'd have to trade up to get:

Valery Nichushkin- I don't know if he'll fall, but if he starts pulling a Grigorenko we absolutely have to trade up and grab him. I've watched him on every stage this year: WJC, Subway Series, KHL, KHL playoffs, U18's, and he's impressed the hell out of me every time. Huge, elite skater, great power moves, brilliant hands. I personally agree with his assessment of himself that he's NHL-ready. He could step in and kick ass on a line with Marleau or Thornton. Looks like Rick Nash, stylistically, to me (forget the Malkin/Ovechkin comps).

Hunter Shinkaruk- With the top of the draft being full of big guys and centers and defensemen, Shinkaruk might fall for being a winger on the smaller side, but he's seriously legit. Great skater, great hands, good shooter and playmaker. Really fun player to watch at the Subway Series and he stood out to me in a good way. Top-line offensive skill. Would fit our needs perfectly.

Sean Monahan- I highly doubt that we'd be able to get this guy, but he seems tailor-made for us. Ottawa 67 who is a phenomenal two-way player, leader type, playmaker, average skating at best. We'd have to trade up really high to get him, as he's got the attitude and "intangibles" everyone loves.

Alexander Wennberg- Big frame, although he's skinny as a rail right now, great skater, great playmaker, great two-way player. Really well-rounded Swedish kid who just got better and better as the year went on. Can play any forward position well.

Bo Horvat- I'm sad he had such a great playoff, because Bo looked like he had the Sharks written all over him a month or two ago. Very good two-way player, faceoffs, leadership. The only thing ever in question with him was his offensive upside, and his great playoff seems to have lessened those concerns.

Players we should trade down for:

Morgan Klimchuk- Put up pretty awesome numbers as a lone wolf on the Pats. Good skater, very smart player with high offensive upside. I think he's poised for a serious break out next season. Probably available around 30-35.

Laurent Dauphin- Ended up the MVP of the Top Prospects game a few months ago. I see huge offensive upside to him. Great skater and playmaker. A bit of a pesty side to him. Great work ethic.

Guys to stay away from in the first: Max Domi (I've seen about two games worth of him and for all his offensive skill he has absolutely no interest at all in playing hockey in the defensive or neutral zone), Frederik Gauther (serious questions about his offensive upside, wasn't impressive at all offensively at the U18 to me, seems like a Brendan Gaunce type), Curtis Lazar (I seriously question whether he has top-6 upside), and Anthony Mantha (for all his skill and great numbers, he has serious concerns about his work ethic and compete level, which raises a big red flag to me, as we can't afford a bust right now). Also avoid defensemen like Nikita Zadorov, Steve Santini, Mirco Mueller, etc. Wouldn't mind Ryan Pulock if he fell to us, if there wasn't anyone else I liked more.

2nd round: 49th overall, 50th overall, and somewhere between 57th and 61st overall (wherever Pittsburgh lands).

Jimmy Lodge, Connor Hurley, Pavel Buchnevich, Artturi Lehkonen, Jacob De La Rose, Anthony Duclair, Jason Dickinson, Marko Dano, and Nick Sorenson are names to watch out for. I'm a huge fan of Buchnevich, he impressed the hell out of me at the U18 tournament, showing elite playmaking skill and vision. I have no clue what his plans are (Russian in Russia), so he might fall. Definitely first round skill.

So yeah, there's an essay primer for you all.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:39 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

Wait ... is this in place of Nemesis' draft thread?

Old
05-31-2013, 10:41 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Sharks picks:

Adam Erne- Big powerforward type. Fantastic skater. Somehow he's fallen a lot in the past few months because of some supposed disciplinary issues with Patrick Roy. I don't buy it as a serious issue. From scouting reports and highlights I've seen, he looks like a serious potential top-6 forward. He plays a north-south game, uses his size and skating ability to drive the net, has a great shot and good hands in close.

Andre Burakovsky- I see him as the biggest boom-bust guy in the draft. He has top-line skills, but significant risk factor. Struggled to get minutes in Sweden this year and was left of the WJC because of that. However, he's got pretty good size and great speed, great hands, and seems like he could be a very good possession player. A comp I've seen is Alex Semin, which I would buy. He looked phenomenal to me at the U18's, flying up and down the ice and creating a lot of space and offense.

Valentin Zykov- Prototypical power-forward type. Not a fast skater, but average at worst and amazingly strong on his skates. Put up great numbers as a rookie in the QMJHL this season. Committed to two-way play. Pretty much the anti-Russian stereotype.

Valery Nichushkin- I don't know if he'll fall, but if he starts pulling a Grigorenko we absolutely have to trade up and grab him. I've watched him on every stage this year: WJC, Subway Series, KHL, KHL playoffs, U18's, and he's impressed the hell out of me every time. Huge, elite skater, great power moves, brilliant hands. I personally agree with his assessment of himself that he's NHL-ready. He could step in and kick ass on a line with Marleau or Thornton. Looks like Rick Nash, stylistically, to me (forget the Malkin/Ovechkin comps).

Hunter Shinkaruk- With the top of the draft being full of big guys and centers and defensemen, Shinkaruk might fall for being a winger on the smaller side, but he's seriously legit. Great skater, great hands, good shooter and playmaker. Really fun player to watch at the Subway Series and he stood out to me in a good way. Top-line offensive skill. Would fit our needs perfectly.

Sean Monahan- I highly doubt that we'd be able to get this guy, but he seems tailor-made for us. Ottawa 67 who is a phenomenal two-way player, leader type, playmaker, average skating at best. We'd have to trade up really high to get him, as he's got the attitude and "intangibles" everyone loves.

Alexander Wennberg- Big frame, although he's skinny as a rail right now, great skater, great playmaker, great two-way player. Really well-rounded Swedish kid who just got better and better as the year went on. Can play any forward position well.

Bo Horvat- I'm sad he had such a great playoff, because Bo looked like he had the Sharks written all over him a month or two ago. Very good two-way player, faceoffs, leadership. The only thing ever in question with him was his offensive upside, and his great playoff seems to have lessened those concerns.

Morgan Klimchuk- Put up pretty awesome numbers as a lone wolf on the Pats. Good skater, very smart player with high offensive upside. I think he's poised for a serious break out next season. Probably available around 30-35.

Laurent Dauphin- Ended up the MVP of the Top Prospects game a few months ago. I see huge offensive upside to him. Great skater and playmaker. A bit of a pesty side to him. Great work ethic.

Guys to stay away from in the first: Max Domi (I've seen about two games worth of him and for all his offensive skill he has absolutely no interest at all in playing hockey in the defensive or neutral zone), Frederik Gauther (serious questions about his offensive upside, wasn't impressive at all offensively at the U18 to me, seems like a Brendan Gaunce type), Curtis Lazar (I seriously question whether he has top-6 upside), and Anthony Mantha (for all his skill and great numbers, he has serious concerns about his work ethic and compete level, which raises a big red flag to me, as we can't afford a bust right now). Also avoid defensemen like Nikita Zadorov, Steve Santini, Mirco Mueller, etc. Wouldn't mind Ryan Pulock if he fell to us, if there wasn't anyone else I liked more.

2nd round: 49th overall, 50th overall, and somewhere between 57th and 61st overall (wherever Pittsburgh lands).

Jimmy Lodge, Connor Hurley, Pavel Buchnevich, Artturi Lehkonen, Jacob De La Rose, Anthony Duclair, Jason Dickinson, Marko Dano, and Nick Sorenson are names to watch out for. I'm a huge fan of Buchnevich, he impressed the hell out of me at the U18 tournament, showing elite playmaking skill and vision. I have no clue what his plans are (Russian in Russia), so he might fall. Definitely first round skill.

Erne would be a good pick. I don't know but Horvat is my favorite guy. His highlights and scouting report really impressed me.

I would really like to get a great skater and a big player with skill so Erne so looks like someone is want.

Valeri Nichushkin sounds awesome!

Also great job on the list!

The draft is the only thing that is keeping me happy now that the Sharks are out.

Last edited by Hatrick Marleau: 05-31-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old
05-31-2013, 10:46 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

I honestly don't know about Patrick Roy, but due to his personality, I'm assuming that lots of players have issues with him.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:59 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Sharks picks:

Wow, awesome write up. I'm with you on pretty much everything, especially Nichushkin. Would take a miracle to fall to 20 though.

Dano is another guy I like in 2nd round. Klimchuk as well.

Only thing I don't agree is Zadorov. I know he's a d-man, and selecting d-men 1st round isn't the greatest strategy, but I'm a fan. Tall, physical, all around player, very high compete level. Potential franchise d-man. Falling to 20, he'd be a steal.

Old
05-31-2013, 11:03 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

I'm not going to pretend I have seen enough of these players as much as some people on here, but I've got faith that if the organization likes somebody (eg Nichuskin, Zadorov), they will trade up. I do believe that DW has a plan to trade up, as he acquired a bunch of 2nds.

Old
05-31-2013, 11:06 PM
OrrNumber4

Considering he's one of the few HF posters who watches prospects, I'd value Jux's opinion

Thought, it makes me miss posters like X-Sharkie and Kevin Wey.

Old
05-31-2013, 11:07 PM
drumzan
#WpgJets #SJSharks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
Wait ... is this in place of Nemesis' draft thread?
I couldn't find a draft thread, so I started this one.

Old
05-31-2013, 11:15 PM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
Considering she's one of the few HF posters who watches prospects, I'd value Jux's opinion

Fixed that.

Now to my post. I was watching highlights of Nichushkin and the guy has superstar forward written all over him. If he fell it would be a MUST to trade up to get him.

Old
05-31-2013, 11:35 PM
Alaskanice

I mentioned elsewhere that I hope we can get Jason Dickinson. Morrissey would be nice as well, as the first defenseman. If Horvat is our pick, DW will move up for him.

Old
05-31-2013, 11:37 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Considering he's one of the few HF posters who watches prospects, I'd value Jux's opinion

I appreciate that, although I have limited viewings of a lot of the CHL guys that haven't played internationally. The two guys I've seen extensively are Nichushkin and Barkov (over a dozen viewings each in different settings, ie internationally and on their pro teams). I've seen a good amount of the other top guys like Mackinnon, Drouin, Jones in international play and I've seen a few odd CHL games (a couple Knights games, Mooseheads games, Winterhawks games, a Wheat Kings game, a couple more). Plenty of guys I haven't seen, but have read a lot about.

A guy like stalockrox would know a lot more than me.

Old
05-31-2013, 11:55 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

From what i've seen Bo Horvat would be a great pick and value at 20. He most likely will go earlier but drafts are so unpredictable. Maybe some of the teams in the 10 to 20 range won't think highly of Horvat's upside since hes a fairly polished player. Adam Erne sounds like a player the Sharks need. Maybe DW will make a Balke type move and get his target in round 1 and a steal in round 2. Referring to Trent Balke of the 49ers.

Old
05-31-2013, 11:56 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Speed and skill.

Old
05-31-2013, 11:57 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
Speed and skill.
Size too.

Old
06-01-2013, 01:44 AM
CanadienShark

Quote:

*She - Jux is a she.

Old
06-01-2013, 01:47 AM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Size too.
Speed and skill are more important than size to me. So long as the players have some grit to them, I'm willing to sacrifice some size on the Sharks. My Habs on the other hand...

Old
06-01-2013, 02:19 AM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
Speed and skill are more important than size to me. So long as the players have some grit to them, I'm willing to sacrifice some size on the Sharks. My Habs on the other hand...
The Sharks need a big power forward type that can skate. The more I watch Erne highlights the more I like him. I agree they need skill and speed as well.

Old
06-01-2013, 02:23 AM
Hatrick Marleau
Nikolay GOALdobin

Quote:
The Sharks need a big power forward type that can skate. The more I watch Erne highlights the more I like him. I agree they need skill and speed as well.
Yes, I agree. I would like Erne at 20. Big power forward that can skate and a very good skater.

Old
06-01-2013, 03:11 AM
noexult
HFBoards Sponsor

If we goto later picks, Jean-Sébastien Dea looks a bit promising, 6 hattricks this season for his team. 5th rd pick perhaps...only saw a few highlights of his play, so not sure what to make out of him, faceoffs aren't great but above 50% FOW during reg.season...

He seems to be a big reason why his team did as well as they did this season.

edit: forgot to mention, he might need to gain some more weight/muscles, still a bit lightweight at 160 lbs

Last edited by noexult: 06-01-2013 at 04:36 AM.
Old
06-01-2013, 04:49 AM
FrizzleFry22
HFBoards Sponsor

I would like Ryan Hartman.

From the limited play I have seen he is good defensively and hits everything.

Also love having Sharks prospects playing for team USA at the WJC.

Old
06-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau View Post
Yes, I agree. I would like Erne at 20. Big power forward that can skate and a very good skater.
Under the premise Burns is moved back to D? Otherwise he fills that need.

Closed Thread