HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Louis Leblanc?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-31-2013, 06:41 AM
  #101
WeThreeKings
DJ Salem
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,985
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Why? He actually slipped to Montreal...
If you want to believe that he was actually highly rated in the first place. I just never liked him. He never seemed to have the build that would accommodate a pro-level amount of muscles. Never liked his skating skills, top speed, acceleration, edge work or agility. I didn't think he had enough offensive tools, he doesn't have a strong shot, he lacks a strong vision. He's smart and he works hard.. not an #18 overall selection for me.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 06:50 AM
  #102
Draft
Registered User
 
Draft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
If you want to believe that he was actually highly rated in the first place. I just never liked him. He never seemed to have the build that would accommodate a pro-level amount of muscles. Never liked his skating skills, top speed, acceleration, edge work or agility. I didn't think he had enough offensive tools, he doesn't have a strong shot, he lacks a strong vision. He's smart and he works hard.. not an #18 overall selection for me.
Not a #18 this year but definitely was a good pick in his draft year.

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 06:53 AM
  #103
WeThreeKings
DJ Salem
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,985
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Not a #18 this year but definitely was a good pick in his draft year.
I'll still maintain that I'd rather have Josefson or Kreider who were taken right after him. Moore or Johansson in hindsight would've been better selections, as well.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 07:04 AM
  #104
Draft
Registered User
 
Draft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I'll still maintain that I'd rather have Josefson or Kreider who were taken right after him. Moore or Johansson in hindsight would've been better selections, as well.
At the draft, Louis looked like more of a sure thing than any of those guys. Based on scouting reports and the information available at the time, he was definitely BPA. He hasn't developed like we all would have hoped but based on his projection at the draft, he looked more likely to develop into a contributor than those players picked after him. That's my feeling anyway.

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 07:14 AM
  #105
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 34,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I'll still maintain that I'd rather have Josefson or Kreider who were taken right after him. Moore or Johansson in hindsight would've been better selections, as well.
Just watching Kreider he screams bust. He seems to have no clue on the ice, good size and speed but zero vision or hockey sense. He doesn't seem gritty enough to play a power game(see Bickell) and score garbage goals.

LeBlanc had a down year but last year playing in the NHL at 20, with a body that was not yet "NHL ready" and with less than great linmates most night, he still made plays made you stand up and take notice. His hockey sense and vision are the polar opposite of Kreider, I think if he shows up with another 5lbs and the right attitude, he can contribute in the top 9 at some point to the NHL club in 13-14.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:12 AM
  #106
overlords
youmyboyblou!
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Planet Squanch
Posts: 26,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Just watching Kreider he screams bust. He seems to have no clue on the ice, good size and speed but zero vision or hockey sense. He doesn't seem gritty enough to play a power game(see Bickell) and score garbage goals.

LeBlanc had a down year but last year playing in the NHL at 20, with a body that was not yet "NHL ready" and with less than great linmates most night, he still made plays made you stand up and take notice. His hockey sense and vision are the polar opposite of Kreider, I think if he shows up with another 5lbs and the right attitude, he can contribute in the top 9 at some point to the NHL club in 13-14.
I think just starting off with a fresh slate will do wonders for leblanc. Maybe see a sports psychologist or something. I look at him and all I see are confidence issues. That high ankle sprain sure didn't help.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:01 PM
  #107
Hackett
BAKAMAN
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,997
vCash: 500
I saw enough from leblanc at the nhl level to believe that he has nhl level talent. I'm not sure what happened this year, but I'm not ready to give up on him just yet.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:37 PM
  #108
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hôlle
Posts: 33,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
If you want to believe that he was actually highly rated in the first place. I just never liked him. He never seemed to have the build that would accommodate a pro-level amount of muscles. Never liked his skating skills, top speed, acceleration, edge work or agility. I didn't think he had enough offensive tools, he doesn't have a strong shot, he lacks a strong vision. He's smart and he works hard.. not an #18 overall selection for me.
I don't want to beleive it.
It was the case.
Big difference.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:56 PM
  #109
OneSharpMarble
Registered User
 
OneSharpMarble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,412
vCash: 500
He was picked because of his name, everyone called it and that is why he was rated there. Every once in awhile the team seems to bend to that faction of the fanbase, this time we got screwed.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:58 PM
  #110
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,025
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
If you want to believe that he was actually highly rated in the first place. I just never liked him. He never seemed to have the build that would accommodate a pro-level amount of muscles. Never liked his skating skills, top speed, acceleration, edge work or agility. I didn't think he had enough offensive tools, he doesn't have a strong shot, he lacks a strong vision. He's smart and he works hard.. not an #18 overall selection for me.
Well he was rated 17th in Bob McKenzie's final draft rankings, by far the best indicator of where and how actual scouts rank the prospects.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?fid=11892

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 04:25 PM
  #111
WeThreeKings
DJ Salem
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,985
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I don't want to beleive it.
It was the case.
Big difference.
Regardless.. I'm fairly certain the teams behind us didn't say "****, they took Leblanc". They were probably happy we were being dumb and taking the guy we were forced to take.

French Canadian kid going the NCAA route.
Centennial year and the draft in Montreal.

We were taking Leblanc whether or not he was the true BPA.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 05:07 PM
  #112
Draft
Registered User
 
Draft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,823
vCash: 500
I'd suggest to everyone thinking that taking Leblanc at our pick was a big reach for us and that it was only because he was local that we drafted him, to explore the internet and look at ISS, Mackenzie's, and CSB for their rankings. Keep in mind these rankings aren't mock drafts. There isn't even an argument to be made.

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 05:22 PM
  #113
WeThreeKings
DJ Salem
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 53,985
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
I'd suggest to everyone thinking that taking Leblanc at our pick was a big reach for us and that it was only because he was local that we drafted him, to explore the internet and look at ISS, Mackenzie's, and CSB for their rankings. Keep in mind these rankings aren't mock drafts. There isn't even an argument to be made.
My post was in response to someone saying that Leblanc "slipped" to us. Which is not the case. He was rated right around our pick and I believe the only rumblings of going higher were McKenzie saying some scouts thought he was like Mike Richards (lol wut?).

To make my point a little bit more clear.. If you want to believe Leblanc was actually the BPA at our pick, that's fine. I simply believe that no one slipped to us that could give us the 'out' of not picking him. There was no way we could not go to that podium and not select him in Montreal without a severe public backlash. We were thus fated to take him, we did and it's looking exactly how I feared it would, a mediocre first round pick at best.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 06:58 PM
  #114
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 15,388
vCash: 500
Just like we were forward to pick angelo esposito in 2007.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 07:33 PM
  #115
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 6,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
We were thus fated to take him, we did and it's looking exactly how I feared it would, a mediocre first round pick at best.
He was one of the few good players in the atrocious 2011-2012 season. That was his first stint in the NHL.

He then gets injured and has trouble coming back from it in his second year, plus problems with Lefevbre.

So now we've decided that based on this, it's time to make a decision on him.

Wow, definitely feels like Pacioretty all over again.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 09:49 PM
  #116
Milhouse40
Registered User
 
Milhouse40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,998
vCash: 500
The Central Scoutng Bureau placed him at #18 in North America
The International Scouting Service placed him at #20

So he was high on most list at this draft. Right-Handed centerman with great vision and a great attitude.

But the problem with Leblanc is what do we do with him?????
Where does he fit?

We drafted a center and he's playing wing.....might not be quite confortable at this position.

And then again....what type of winger we expected him to be?
A sniper....A powerforward....A gritty winger...A playmaker????
Kid might be a little lost out there, and it's a little normal.

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 11:30 PM
  #117
KingGallagherXI
Registered User
 
KingGallagherXI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,864
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
I think LL will never make it to the NHL and will fade away from the game soon. Sure, he might be brought up and play a few minutes on the 3rd line, but after he gets physically abused, he will lose interest, and will probably resign himself to the reality that the only reason why he was drafted high was because he is French.
Actually, he was drafted high because he was attracting a lot of attention since his Midget years. He had/has potential. I'm not sure he was drafted because he's French at all.

KingGallagherXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 03:17 AM
  #118
Draft
Registered User
 
Draft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
My post was in response to someone saying that Leblanc "slipped" to us. Which is not the case. He was rated right around our pick and I believe the only rumblings of going higher were McKenzie saying some scouts thought he was like Mike Richards (lol wut?).

To make my point a little bit more clear.. If you want to believe Leblanc was actually the BPA at our pick, that's fine. I simply believe that no one slipped to us that could give us the 'out' of not picking him. There was no way we could not go to that podium and not select him in Montreal without a severe public backlash. We were thus fated to take him, we did and it's looking exactly how I feared it would, a mediocre first round pick at best.
Alright, that explanations a little more reasonable No worries, WTK, it wasn't solely directed at you. I do think Leblanc was BPA where he was picked based on the rankings of the time and what we all know Timmins looks for in a pick (character, foot speed, hockey IQ etc.). He was the logical choice, francophone or not, not many of the players picked after him are "Timmins picks".

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 03:24 AM
  #119
Draft
Registered User
 
Draft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,823
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
The Central Scoutng Bureau placed him at #18 in North America
The International Scouting Service placed him at #20

So he was high on most list at this draft. Right-Handed centerman with great vision and a great attitude.

But the problem with Leblanc is what do we do with him?????
Where does he fit?

We drafted a center and he's playing wing.....might not be quite confortable at this position.

And then again....what type of winger we expected him to be?
A sniper....A powerforward....A gritty winger...A playmaker????
Kid might be a little lost out there, and it's a little normal.
From Wikipedia-
Leblanc was one of the top-ranked prospects for the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, ranked thirteenth overall among North American skaters by NHL Central Scouting,

Old TSN ISS ranking at #12
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=11679

Hototogisu already posted Mackenzie's rankings.

He's a very versatile player and I think he's getting pigeonholed in Hamilton. Expected to play as a grinder when that is definitely not his strength. I'd love to see him on the top line in Hamilton, he belongs there IMO. Guess I just don't agree with their development philosophy: Play 3rd liners on the 3rd line.

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 07:47 AM
  #120
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
If Timmins thought Leblanc was destined to be a 3rd liner and chose him at 18th he should be fired immediately. 3rd liners are a dime a dozen and can be found throughout the draft and in FA, you don't spend a 1st round pick on a 3rd line player.

Quit trying to pawn off a bad pick with this nonsense.
Exactly. I was waiting for the first realistic post. 18th overall. He should be at least on the third line right now. When fan boys here thought he would be a top six phenom, I said I would be glad if he was a Carbo type. Now, I don't even think that is going to happen.

Bust. I'll eat my words next year if I'm wrong, but bust. Sorry. And it pisses me off.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 08:18 AM
  #121
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 34,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
The Central Scoutng Bureau placed him at #18 in North America
The International Scouting Service placed him at #20

So he was high on most list at this draft. Right-Handed centerman with great vision and a great attitude.

But the problem with Leblanc is what do we do with him?????
Where does he fit?

We drafted a center and he's playing wing.....might not be quite confortable at this position.

And then again....what type of winger we expected him to be?
A sniper....A powerforward....A gritty winger...A playmaker????
Kid might be a little lost out there, and it's a little normal.
Red Line had him at 12 or 13 th I think...

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...forwards_N.htm

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 08:24 AM
  #122
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 34,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
The Central Scoutng Bureau placed him at #18 in North America
The International Scouting Service placed him at #20

So he was high on most list at this draft. Right-Handed centerman with great vision and a great attitude.

But the problem with Leblanc is what do we do with him?????
Where does he fit?

We drafted a center and he's playing wing.....might not be quite confortable at this position.

And then again....what type of winger we expected him to be?
A sniper....A powerforward....A gritty winger...A playmaker????
Kid might be a little lost out there, and it's a little normal.
I don't see the center vs wing thing as a problem. He's a smart player with above average hockey sense, position is just details and shouldn't make a big difference.

He isn't a guy you can pigeon hole into one spot, but he gives you some of everything, he can finish, he is a pretty good playmaker, plays bigger than his size in the coners and reliable defensively. I see him as a potential #2 Rw or #3 center down the road.

All that being said he needs to bounce back and come in with a good frame of mind next year. He's done the gym work to add some size but he needs to be pulling in the same direction as everybody else. Last year not sure if he was frustrated at having to go back AHL or mentally never got over the injury, but he never got in a groove.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 08:26 AM
  #123
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 34,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Exactly. I was waiting for the first realistic post. 18th overall. He should be at least on the third line right now. When fan boys here thought he would be a top six phenom, I said I would be glad if he was a Carbo type. Now, I don't even think that is going to happen.

Bust. I'll eat my words next year if I'm wrong, but bust. Sorry. And it pisses me off.
Not every player reaches his potential by the age of 21, some only make the nHL at 23 or 24. This year is definitely a wake up call for him, but he was up playing top 9(2nd and 3rd line) minutes last year at 20, so calling him a but is putting the cart a mile in front of the horse.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 01:36 PM
  #124
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Not every player reaches his potential by the age of 21, some only make the nHL at 23 or 24. This year is definitely a wake up call for him, but he was up playing top 9(2nd and 3rd line) minutes last year at 20, so calling him a but is putting the cart a mile in front of the horse.
I think it would be different if had other assets to his game. If goal scorers aren't scoring goals, what else can you do to help the team?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 02:11 PM
  #125
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
He's a very versatile player and I think he's getting pigeonholed in Hamilton. Expected to play as a grinder when that is definitely not his strength. I'd love to see him on the top line in Hamilton, he belongs there IMO. Guess I just don't agree with their development philosophy: Play 3rd liners on the 3rd line.
I've seen this theory before, but I don't know... wasn't Dumont in the top 6 whenever he played with the Bulldogs this year?

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.