HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Louis Leblanc?

Old
05-31-2013, 06:41 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Salem

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Why? He actually slipped to Montreal...
If you want to believe that he was actually highly rated in the first place. I just never liked him. He never seemed to have the build that would accommodate a pro-level amount of muscles. Never liked his skating skills, top speed, acceleration, edge work or agility. I didn't think he had enough offensive tools, he doesn't have a strong shot, he lacks a strong vision. He's smart and he works hard.. not an #18 overall selection for me.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 06:50 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
If you want to believe that he was actually highly rated in the first place. I just never liked him. He never seemed to have the build that would accommodate a pro-level amount of muscles. Never liked his skating skills, top speed, acceleration, edge work or agility. I didn't think he had enough offensive tools, he doesn't have a strong shot, he lacks a strong vision. He's smart and he works hard.. not an #18 overall selection for me.
Not a #18 this year but definitely was a good pick in his draft year.

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 06:53 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Salem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Not a #18 this year but definitely was a good pick in his draft year.
I'll still maintain that I'd rather have Josefson or Kreider who were taken right after him. Moore or Johansson in hindsight would've been better selections, as well.

Old
05-31-2013, 07:04 AM
Draft

Quote:
I'll still maintain that I'd rather have Josefson or Kreider who were taken right after him. Moore or Johansson in hindsight would've been better selections, as well.
At the draft, Louis looked like more of a sure thing than any of those guys. Based on scouting reports and the information available at the time, he was definitely BPA. He hasn't developed like we all would have hoped but based on his projection at the draft, he looked more likely to develop into a contributor than those players picked after him. That's my feeling anyway.

Old
05-31-2013, 07:14 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Just watching Kreider he screams bust. He seems to have no clue on the ice, good size and speed but zero vision or hockey sense. He doesn't seem gritty enough to play a power game(see Bickell) and score garbage goals.

LeBlanc had a down year but last year playing in the NHL at 20, with a body that was not yet "NHL ready" and with less than great linmates most night, he still made plays made you stand up and take notice. His hockey sense and vision are the polar opposite of Kreider, I think if he shows up with another 5lbs and the right attitude, he can contribute in the top 9 at some point to the NHL club in 13-14.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:12 AM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Just watching Kreider he screams bust. He seems to have no clue on the ice, good size and speed but zero vision or hockey sense. He doesn't seem gritty enough to play a power game(see Bickell) and score garbage goals.

LeBlanc had a down year but last year playing in the NHL at 20, with a body that was not yet "NHL ready" and with less than great linmates most night, he still made plays made you stand up and take notice. His hockey sense and vision are the polar opposite of Kreider, I think if he shows up with another 5lbs and the right attitude, he can contribute in the top 9 at some point to the NHL club in 13-14.
I think just starting off with a fresh slate will do wonders for leblanc. Maybe see a sports psychologist or something. I look at him and all I see are confidence issues. That high ankle sprain sure didn't help.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:01 PM
Hackett
BAKAMAN

I saw enough from leblanc at the nhl level to believe that he has nhl level talent. I'm not sure what happened this year, but I'm not ready to give up on him just yet.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:37 PM
MXD

Quote:
I don't want to beleive it.
It was the case.
Big difference.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:56 PM
OneSharpMarble

He was picked because of his name, everyone called it and that is why he was rated there. Every once in awhile the team seems to bend to that faction of the fanbase, this time we got screwed.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:58 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Well he was rated 17th in Bob McKenzie's final draft rankings, by far the best indicator of where and how actual scouts rank the prospects.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?fid=11892

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 04:25 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Salem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I don't want to beleive it.
It was the case.
Big difference.
Regardless.. I'm fairly certain the teams behind us didn't say "****, they took Leblanc". They were probably happy we were being dumb and taking the guy we were forced to take.

French Canadian kid going the NCAA route.
Centennial year and the draft in Montreal.

We were taking Leblanc whether or not he was the true BPA.

Old
05-31-2013, 05:07 PM
Draft

I'd suggest to everyone thinking that taking Leblanc at our pick was a big reach for us and that it was only because he was local that we drafted him, to explore the internet and look at ISS, Mackenzie's, and CSB for their rankings. Keep in mind these rankings aren't mock drafts. There isn't even an argument to be made.

Old
05-31-2013, 05:22 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Salem

Quote:
I'd suggest to everyone thinking that taking Leblanc at our pick was a big reach for us and that it was only because he was local that we drafted him, to explore the internet and look at ISS, Mackenzie's, and CSB for their rankings. Keep in mind these rankings aren't mock drafts. There isn't even an argument to be made.
My post was in response to someone saying that Leblanc "slipped" to us. Which is not the case. He was rated right around our pick and I believe the only rumblings of going higher were McKenzie saying some scouts thought he was like Mike Richards (lol wut?).

To make my point a little bit more clear.. If you want to believe Leblanc was actually the BPA at our pick, that's fine. I simply believe that no one slipped to us that could give us the 'out' of not picking him. There was no way we could not go to that podium and not select him in Montreal without a severe public backlash. We were thus fated to take him, we did and it's looking exactly how I feared it would, a mediocre first round pick at best.

Old
05-31-2013, 06:58 PM
DAChampion

Just like we were forward to pick angelo esposito in 2007.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 07:33 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
We were thus fated to take him, we did and it's looking exactly how I feared it would, a mediocre first round pick at best.
He was one of the few good players in the atrocious 2011-2012 season. That was his first stint in the NHL.

He then gets injured and has trouble coming back from it in his second year, plus problems with Lefevbre.

So now we've decided that based on this, it's time to make a decision on him.

Wow, definitely feels like Pacioretty all over again.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 09:49 PM
Milhouse40

The Central Scoutng Bureau placed him at #18 in North America
The International Scouting Service placed him at #20

So he was high on most list at this draft. Right-Handed centerman with great vision and a great attitude.

But the problem with Leblanc is what do we do with him?????
Where does he fit?

We drafted a center and he's playing wing.....might not be quite confortable at this position.

And then again....what type of winger we expected him to be?
A sniper....A powerforward....A gritty winger...A playmaker????
Kid might be a little lost out there, and it's a little normal.

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 11:30 PM
KingGallagherXI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
I think LL will never make it to the NHL and will fade away from the game soon. Sure, he might be brought up and play a few minutes on the 3rd line, but after he gets physically abused, he will lose interest, and will probably resign himself to the reality that the only reason why he was drafted high was because he is French.
Actually, he was drafted high because he was attracting a lot of attention since his Midget years. He had/has potential. I'm not sure he was drafted because he's French at all.

KingGallagherXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 03:17 AM
Draft

Quote:
My post was in response to someone saying that Leblanc "slipped" to us. Which is not the case. He was rated right around our pick and I believe the only rumblings of going higher were McKenzie saying some scouts thought he was like Mike Richards (lol wut?).

To make my point a little bit more clear.. If you want to believe Leblanc was actually the BPA at our pick, that's fine. I simply believe that no one slipped to us that could give us the 'out' of not picking him. There was no way we could not go to that podium and not select him in Montreal without a severe public backlash. We were thus fated to take him, we did and it's looking exactly how I feared it would, a mediocre first round pick at best.
Alright, that explanations a little more reasonable No worries, WTK, it wasn't solely directed at you. I do think Leblanc was BPA where he was picked based on the rankings of the time and what we all know Timmins looks for in a pick (character, foot speed, hockey IQ etc.). He was the logical choice, francophone or not, not many of the players picked after him are "Timmins picks".

Old
06-01-2013, 03:24 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post

So he was high on most list at this draft. Right-Handed centerman with great vision and a great attitude.

Where does he fit?

We drafted a center and he's playing wing.....might not be quite confortable at this position.

From Wikipedia-
Leblanc was one of the top-ranked prospects for the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, ranked thirteenth overall among North American skaters by NHL Central Scouting,

Old TSN ISS ranking at #12
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=11679

Hototogisu already posted Mackenzie's rankings.

He's a very versatile player and I think he's getting pigeonholed in Hamilton. Expected to play as a grinder when that is definitely not his strength. I'd love to see him on the top line in Hamilton, he belongs there IMO. Guess I just don't agree with their development philosophy: Play 3rd liners on the 3rd line.

Old
06-01-2013, 07:47 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
If Timmins thought Leblanc was destined to be a 3rd liner and chose him at 18th he should be fired immediately. 3rd liners are a dime a dozen and can be found throughout the draft and in FA, you don't spend a 1st round pick on a 3rd line player.

Quit trying to pawn off a bad pick with this nonsense.
Exactly. I was waiting for the first realistic post. 18th overall. He should be at least on the third line right now. When fan boys here thought he would be a top six phenom, I said I would be glad if he was a Carbo type. Now, I don't even think that is going to happen.

Bust. I'll eat my words next year if I'm wrong, but bust. Sorry. And it pisses me off.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 08:18 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Where does he fit?

Red Line had him at 12 or 13 th I think...

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...forwards_N.htm

Old
06-01-2013, 08:24 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Where does he fit?

I don't see the center vs wing thing as a problem. He's a smart player with above average hockey sense, position is just details and shouldn't make a big difference.

He isn't a guy you can pigeon hole into one spot, but he gives you some of everything, he can finish, he is a pretty good playmaker, plays bigger than his size in the coners and reliable defensively. I see him as a potential #2 Rw or #3 center down the road.

All that being said he needs to bounce back and come in with a good frame of mind next year. He's done the gym work to add some size but he needs to be pulling in the same direction as everybody else. Last year not sure if he was frustrated at having to go back AHL or mentally never got over the injury, but he never got in a groove.

Old
06-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Exactly. I was waiting for the first realistic post. 18th overall. He should be at least on the third line right now. When fan boys here thought he would be a top six phenom, I said I would be glad if he was a Carbo type. Now, I don't even think that is going to happen.

Bust. I'll eat my words next year if I'm wrong, but bust. Sorry. And it pisses me off.
Not every player reaches his potential by the age of 21, some only make the nHL at 23 or 24. This year is definitely a wake up call for him, but he was up playing top 9(2nd and 3rd line) minutes last year at 20, so calling him a but is putting the cart a mile in front of the horse.

Old
06-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Not every player reaches his potential by the age of 21, some only make the nHL at 23 or 24. This year is definitely a wake up call for him, but he was up playing top 9(2nd and 3rd line) minutes last year at 20, so calling him a but is putting the cart a mile in front of the horse.
I think it would be different if had other assets to his game. If goal scorers aren't scoring goals, what else can you do to help the team?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 02:11 PM
Roulin

Quote:
He's a very versatile player and I think he's getting pigeonholed in Hamilton. Expected to play as a grinder when that is definitely not his strength. I'd love to see him on the top line in Hamilton, he belongs there IMO. Guess I just don't agree with their development philosophy: Play 3rd liners on the 3rd line.
I've seen this theory before, but I don't know... wasn't Dumont in the top 6 whenever he played with the Bulldogs this year?

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote