HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

20e Mondial de la bière

Old
05-29-2013, 05:56 PM
Seb
Michel Therrien

vCash: 50
Alright I'm back!

So the place looks real cool, it has more space than at the Place Bonaventure, so I doubt it gets over crowded like in past years during the week-end. The only downside imo is the outside space, it's a rather long walk away from the inside place, feels like they're not even related, unlike at the Gare Windsor.

Still, I enjoyed it and will most likely go back tomorrow.

Here's a sample of what I tried today :

Cerverjaria Boderbrown - Double Porigosa IIPA (8 tix) : I started with this beer, even tho it's a 15% ABV beer that costs 8 tix. If you ever tried the 120 mins IPA from Dogfish head, don't bother trying it, it's a clone. A hop bomb that's like a barleywine. It really doesn't feel like it's 15% at all, but it's damn sweet. If you've never tried the 120 mins IPA from DFH and are willing to pay 8 tix, it could be a great opportunity!.

St-Feuillien - Grand Cru (4 tix) : Available at the european pub outside, this is a blonde belgian that really feels light for a 9,5% beer. Nothing exceptional, but it was good.

Cervejaria Wäls - Wäls Petroleum (6 tix) : This is another strong beer (most of the beers I wanted to try were strong anyways). Tasted like a Robust Porter with Molasse, porto-ish taste. Really something you shouldn't be drinking if you're a beer noob. If you have 6 tix left, it could be worth trying!

Dogfish head - Single Barrel Peche Myces (4 tix I think) : This beer wasn't in the official beers listing, but it's damn worth trying. It's a flanders brown, a sour beer that tasted a bit like a Rodenbach but with a subtle peach finish. Loved it.

Stone - Oaked Arrogant ******* Ale (4 tix) : Well for those of you who tried the original Arrogant ******* ale, I'd say it's pretty much the same. I couldn't taste the oak at all in it. It's good, it has a hoppy nose and a sweet/malty taste, but if you've ever tried the original OA Arrogant *******, I don't think it's worth trying.

St-Bock - Calice "Randall" (5 tix) : for those of you who don't know what a Randall is, it's a homemade system in which you pass the beer trough a whole lot of fresh hops whilve serving it to give it a hops punch in its flavor and aroma. This definitely didn't disappoint. IIRC, the hops were Amarillo and Simcoe. It really felt like I was chewing the hops, my friend said it felt like a tea.

Succursale - Grätzer (4 tix I think) : The guy told me Grätzer was an old style that got recently revived. It's basically a pale beer with smoked grain. If you wanted to drink something special, then you should try this one. Tasted like smoked sausages. I usually don't like smokey beers unless it's subtle, but this one was rather good!

I've tried a few other beers trough my friend samples but I don't think it's worth mentioning. One thing that REALLY disappointed me is how expensive some of the samples were. There's one I wanted to try from Italy (Birras Baladin - Xyauyu Barel) that was 10 freaking tickets... Are you kidding me? An Eisbock from Franc at 24% ABV was 12 tix... A sample is NEVER worth 12$.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 07:09 PM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
The reality of it is actually much more in line with your first paragraph than your second. It's too bad you're dismissing something based entirely on false assumptions.

But hey...more beer for the rest of us!
well i'll be damned! i really wouldn't have thought that, honestly. i guess i used to want to go, but never could, and since then, i rationalized, telling myself it'd be packed with ********** and was not missing out.

and while i am still a beer lover, i'm not as into it as i used to be. i appreciate a lot of the work and skill and tradition and all the differen't tastes that come from that. but i've become a lot more casual. i'm good rotating through a few, easy to find favorites. i'm not in to searching the world over for all these obscure beers. sure, i'd check it all out in germany, as part of a trip and culture experience, but aside from that my love for beer has dwindled to an appreciation. i don't even have beer everyday anymore! gasp*

in short, it's all about trees now, baby. beer is secondary. and this has nothing to do with intoxication. just pleasant experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman sean View Post
you're right, how dare people live in the suburbs.
i'm OG chomedey born and raised, and i don't feel offended. i know who falls into the category of 450 d-bags. it's the people who come to chomedey, which is 'downtown' for them.
wear white hats, and civics with seats reclined 45 degrees. probable use and abuse of LED lights. also invading mtl by their south shore counterparts. same hats though.

we should all praise god that they built quartier DIX 30, to keep em all occupied. 2 words. RADIO. LOUNGE.

Last edited by HarlemsFinest: 05-29-2013 at 07:25 PM.
HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2013, 10:25 PM
ashtraygirl

big ups to the Elysian Brewery's Jasmin IPA, which tastes light and fresh and BoqueBiere's Smoked Stout, which was like BBQ in a glass! The official glass this year is TINY, like single-serving size!

ashtraygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 04:55 AM
Mr. Hab

Friday 6-7pm:

Worried about lineups, lots of waiting, more lineups, bathroom lineups, more waiting for small amount of beer, loud noise, shoving, pushing, spilling beer from shoving, sardine atmosphere (no room to move! more beer being spilled), heavy lineups and urine stench in bathrooms!, etc,etc!!

Is it worth it? (I have a feeling that Friday night will be too crazy! too crowded! I'd prefer a nice, quiet terrace with lots of cute, friendly girls sitting around! and no crazy lineups for small amount of beer).

Thanks for any info
(not trying to be a killjoy...just wanted to know if it's really worth it...especially on a busy Friday...some of you don't mind major crowds, so that's good ).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 05-30-2013 at 05:04 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 08:04 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtraygirl View Post
big ups to the Elysian Brewery's Jasmin IPA, which tastes light and fresh and BoqueBiere's Smoked Stout, which was like BBQ in a glass! The official glass this year is TINY, like single-serving size!
Between this and what Seb said about some samples costing 10-12 tickets...not too impressed

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 09:01 AM
Treb

vCash: 867
Quote:
Between this and what Seb said about some samples costing 10-12 tickets...not too impressed
But the 4 ounce of the 25% (24%?) worth 12$ is like 2.5 normal sized budweiser in strenght, so you it's like paying 4ish per beer. I remember it being cheaper in previous year... The new alcohol tax effect??

Treb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Seb
Michel Therrien

Quote:
The glass is tiny, but it's the same serving size as previous years.

Old
05-30-2013, 03:38 PM
LAARRRSSSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Alright I'm back!

So the place looks real cool, it has more space than at the Place Bonaventure, so I doubt it gets over crowded like in past years during the week-end. The only downside imo is the outside space, it's a rather long walk away from the inside place, feels like they're not even related, unlike at the Gare Windsor.

Still, I enjoyed it and will most likely go back tomorrow.

Here's a sample of what I tried today :

Cerverjaria Boderbrown - Double Porigosa IIPA (8 tix) : I started with this beer, even tho it's a 15% ABV beer that costs 8 tix. If you ever tried the 120 mins IPA from Dogfish head, don't bother trying it, it's a clone. A hop bomb that's like a barleywine. It really doesn't feel like it's 15% at all, but it's damn sweet. If you've never tried the 120 mins IPA from DFH and are willing to pay 8 tix, it could be a great opportunity!.

St-Feuillien - Grand Cru (4 tix) : Available at the european pub outside, this is a blonde belgian that really feels light for a 9,5% beer. Nothing exceptional, but it was good.

Cervejaria Wäls - Wäls Petroleum (6 tix) : This is another strong beer (most of the beers I wanted to try were strong anyways). Tasted like a Robust Porter with Molasse, porto-ish taste. Really something you shouldn't be drinking if you're a beer noob. If you have 6 tix left, it could be worth trying!

Dogfish head - Single Barrel Peche Myces (4 tix I think) : This beer wasn't in the official beers listing, but it's damn worth trying. It's a flanders brown, a sour beer that tasted a bit like a Rodenbach but with a subtle peach finish. Loved it.

Stone - Oaked Arrogant ******* Ale (4 tix) : Well for those of you who tried the original Arrogant ******* ale, I'd say it's pretty much the same. I couldn't taste the oak at all in it. It's good, it has a hoppy nose and a sweet/malty taste, but if you've ever tried the original OA Arrogant *******, I don't think it's worth trying.

St-Bock - Calice "Randall" (5 tix) : for those of you who don't know what a Randall is, it's a homemade system in which you pass the beer trough a whole lot of fresh hops whilve serving it to give it a hops punch in its flavor and aroma. This definitely didn't disappoint. IIRC, the hops were Amarillo and Simcoe. It really felt like I was chewing the hops, my friend said it felt like a tea.

Succursale - Grätzer (4 tix I think) : The guy told me Grätzer was an old style that got recently revived. It's basically a pale beer with smoked grain. If you wanted to drink something special, then you should try this one. Tasted like smoked sausages. I usually don't like smokey beers unless it's subtle, but this one was rather good!

I've tried a few other beers trough my friend samples but I don't think it's worth mentioning. One thing that REALLY disappointed me is how expensive some of the samples were. There's one I wanted to try from Italy (Birras Baladin - Xyauyu Barel) that was 10 freaking tickets... Are you kidding me? An Eisbock from Franc at 24% ABV was 12 tix... A sample is NEVER worth 12$.
I'm surprised you liked the Randall so much. I tried quite a few IPAs last night and I think that was my least favorite of them all.

I absolutely loved the Oaked AB and definitely tasted the oak in it (similar to vanilla...).

I think our taste buds are wired differently.

My top 2 for the night :

Dieu du Ciel Moralité (IPA)
Ommegang Three Philosophers (Quad)

LAARRRSSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 11:59 AM
Seb
Michel Therrien

Alright I went back yesterday and it was reeeeally nice with the sun.

St-Bock - Pénitente (3 tix) : A white spiced beer, refreshing, smells and tastes of coriander, cloves and pepper. I'm usually not a fan of whites and spiced beer, but I enjoyed this one, surprisingly.

St-Bock - Malédiction (3 tix) : It's a Milk Stout with a strong smell and taste of dark chocolate and coffee. Also hints of caramel/butterscotch. It won a prize, I would suggest you to try this one. Wasn't my favorite beer, but it's damn interesting. Plus, it comes with a marshmallow.

Helm - Hutchison IPA Américaine (3 tix) : As expected, really hoppy and bitter. Was good but nothing exceptional imo, maybe because I've tried many beers of that style so I'm not easily impressed anymore.

Succursale - ABT (4 tix) : Here's one beer that disappointed me. I'm really looking forward to try one belgian style beer from Québec that nails it other than Unibroue and so far I still have no luck. It lacks the belgian yeast character, sweet and you only mostly taste raisin but it rapidly fades away.

Binchoise - Bière XO (6 tix) : Wouldn't have tried it otherwise, but my friend who works there gave me a sample of it for only 3 tix. It's a strong beer that has been aged in Armagnac (brandy) barrels. Intense flavors, a bit fruity. This is a beer you sip like a porto. Very interesting.

There's one beer my friend made me try but I didn't take notes, it was the Piedi Neri Brune from Corce Di Malto. It was damn good! It was a very tasty dark beer.

I also can't stress you enough to try the Solstice d'été from Dieu du ciel if you haven't already. It's simply amazing.

I also tried the Mactavish (American IPA) from Trou du diable and was deeply disappointed. Not sure what the heck is wrong with this brewery because they're usually awesome, but all their hoppy beers I've tried recently tasted like onions. This one wasn't as bad as the Dubai pillé I tried at the Houblonneries, but it was still present and unpleasant. They must have a problem with their hops stock.

Old
05-31-2013, 02:50 PM
Delat

I'm thinkin about goign for the first time tonight, how much do I need to have a good time, is 70-80$ enough? I've never been there. I've always been told that the glass they sell down there is a must to get more beer from the stands, is it true still this year? What do I need to know before going there?

Thanks

Delat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 03:12 PM
Seb
Michel Therrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delat View Post
I'm thinkin about goign for the first time tonight, how much do I need to have a good time, is 70-80$ enough? I've never been there. I've always been told that the glass they sell down there is a must to get more beer from the stands, is it true still this year? What do I need to know before going there?

Thanks
This year's glass is tiny, it can hold up max the serving size. You can bring your own glass.

70-80$ is a damn lot for a single day. 30$ is more than enough.

Old
05-31-2013, 04:29 PM
Batarnac

Gotta agree with most of the reviews I've seen so far. Inside and outside locations are too far one from the other. I was there wednesday afternoon, not too busy but we left at 7pm and the not so nice crowd was already starting to show up (I'm a 450 myself, I don't think that the place you come from has anything to do with how much of an ******* you are). Won't give any reviews, I'm in no way a connoisseur and I tried a lot of different ones, but I went there with the list someone posted here earlier. They don't have the New Holland Dragon's Milk Ale which I really wanted to try.

The official glass is the size of a thimble, it's ridiculous. I tried a lot of IPA, some Weissbier, and very little brown or dark ones. Not really a stout lover. Speaking for myself but I really, really like beer from brasserie Dupont. Tried the Bonx voeux this year and man is this beer is amazing. That or saison Dupont, can't go wrong. They're not the most complex ones but they are very, complete if I can say so and very refreshing. That's actually a feeling I got from most of the beers I tried thsi year, refreshing.

For Delat, it depends if you plan on going once or on multiple occasions. If you buy the glass (10$) and only go once, yeah, I'd spend at least 60$ to make sure you've tried enough to make it worth. I you go 2 or three times, split that amount and make it last longer. Either way, go with someone else, get different beers and try each one of them.

Also, like every year, all the ****** brands have some very fine looking barmaids or whatever you call them, but who wants to drink heineken or molson at a place like this... Honorable mention to Noire et Blanche brewery, apart from the dirty hippie dude, the girls were fabulous.

Edit : Oh, and a friend I met there working at Dieu du Ciel was telling us how the batch of Disco Soleil is really not as good as the last one. This is the one they have for the competition so he was not very optimistic about the reception it would get.

Last edited by Batarnac: 05-31-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Batarnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 04:34 PM
Dekar

I'm about to head out to the fest right now, and as much as I would like to come back and post reviews of all the beers I'll be trying, I'm not very savvy of beer or alcohol in general so I'd most likely just come back with "This was good, this was also good, this sucked, this sucked too, I spilled this one on myself, this was okayish, this was purple and smelled funny, etc..."

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 11:35 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

So I just got back from my huge beer-day...
Still pretty lucid. Will try to tell you more...

I tried Saint-Bock #3 at first, a red ale.... Tasted nothing special but still, worth the 3 tickets.

I tried a IPA from Saint-Bock(If I remember well) and it was GREAT.

I tried the trou du diable... But nothing really impressed me...

Mons was the only beer that actually got me a fan of, specially the Dubbel!

Its great, a little overpriced, but great!

Edit: I also tried a chocalate stout....served with a marshamallow, and it was nasty.

I'm not the beer nerd, though.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 11:55 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
This year's glass is tiny, it can hold up max the serving size. You can bring your own glass.

70-80$ is a damn lot for a single day. 30$ is more than enough.
You can bring your own glass? Any glass?

QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 05:53 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Where can I pick up some mons ? Is there any sale point ? I forgot to ask the guy.....

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Seb
Michel Therrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
You can bring your own glass? Any glass?
Yes! But they will still give you only a 4 oz sample.

Old
06-01-2013, 10:48 AM
MTLSandman*

I was thinking of going for the first time ever today, but I'm worried it's going to rain.... I've never been to any of these before, so could someone let me know how enjoyable it would be or even if it would still be "open" in crappy weather? (I'm guessing this is an outdoor event right?)

MTLSandman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Seb
Michel Therrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLSandman View Post
I was thinking of going for the first time ever today, but I'm worried it's going to rain.... I've never been to any of these before, so could someone let me know how enjoyable it would be or even if it would still be "open" in crappy weather? (I'm guessing this is an outdoor event right?)
The event has 2 areas, outside and inside. At the outside area there aren't that many interesting choice other than the Italy/France/Belgium pub, Cheval Blanc and Helm. It's still open even when it rains but it's lot less enjoyable. The upside is it's less crowded when raining.

The inside area is where most of the even takes place and it's really huge so I doubt there will be any problem with overcrowding.

Old
06-01-2013, 10:56 AM
MTLSandman*

Quote:
The event has 2 areas, outside and inside. At the outside area there aren't that many interesting choice other than the Italy/France/Belgium pub, Cheval Blanc and Helm. It's still open even when it rains but it's lot less enjoyable. The upside is it's less crowded when raining.

The inside area is where most of the even takes place and it's really huge so I doubt there will be any problem with overcrowding.
Alright, awesome thanks a lot. Ill definitely be going since that's the case.

MTLSandman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 10:51 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Went yesterday and spent most of the day (11-6 excluding some lunch in the middle). I have mixed feelings about the venue. It felt like there was a lack of ambience inside, and got pretty crowded from about 3 onward. It was nice to have the option to go outside, but it was pretty scorching so we didn't do that for long. I wish the two parts were closer together but what can you do. I wouldn't mind seeing it back there next year but I never hated Place Bonaventure either.

Tried a lot of different beers and even took some semi-intelligible non-sophisticated notes as I knocked them off the list. Even though I got there just as it opened, a lot of beers were already sold out from previous days - Dogfish Head's Peche Myces, Stone's Oaked Arrogant *******, Antares, Allagash Tripel, Maui's Coconut Porter and virtually everything in the European booth outside...so here's what I tried:

Brasseur de Montreal - Absinthe & Griffintown
The Absinthe was what you'd expect, not my thing but a friend who got it really enjoyed it. The Griffintown was a blonde, light without a whole lot of flavor but not bad.

Les Brasseurs RJ - Apocalypse, St-Paix, Speciale Mondial
The Apocalypse was dark and kinda choclately, kinda one-tone. St-Paix was ****ing amazing - perfect summer beer, had a honey taste with a bit of spice. Easily my favorite of the day. The Speciale Mondial was lousy and cost a lot of tickets - if St-Paix was the best of the day, the Speciale was probably the worst.

St-Bock - Malediction
A huge hit with our group (even though I got gypped out of a marshmellow!) - tasted like milk, coffee and marshmallow...not something I would have expected to enjoy but it was really good.

Huyghe - Delirium Tremens
Citrusy, light, pretty refreshing. I liked it.

Palm - Palm Speciale Belge
Not great, had a bit of taste to it but not particularly memorable.

Trou du Diable - Oude Blanche, Shawinigan Handshake
Oude Blanche was the first of the day and went down nice, good spices. The Shawinigan Handshake I had to try from the name alone and it wasn't bad, a sour beer.

La Succursale - Gratzer
A big hit with our group. I don't think I've ever seen a blonde beer with such a smokey smell and taste. Whoever compared it to a smoked sausage in this thread was bang on. It tasted great, I'd get it again (some in the group even went back for seconds at the end of the day).

Dieu du Ciel - Rosee d'Hibiscus, Solstice d'Ete, Disco Soleil
A friend got the Rosee d'Hibiscus and it was refreshing and went down smooth with a pleasant aroma. The Solstice d'Ete was a big winner, a sour raspberry dark red beer that I probably couldn't drink too much of, but enjoyed the sample. I passed up Moralite to try the Disco Soleil and I think it was a bad decision - it was sour and not very flavorful. Meh.

Dogfish Head - Raison d'Etre, Midas Touch
The only 2 Dogfish Heads left. Everybody really liked Raison d'Etre, strong raisin bread smell and a complex taste, delicious. Midas Touch was what you'd expect from the name, gold and citrusy and tasty. Both these beers were some of the tastiest of the day for sure.

Elysian - Avatar Jasmine IPA
Tasted like an IPA, really. Didn't find anything exceptional about it.

Maui - Bikini Blonde
Very refreshing blonde with kind of a hay-ish aroma.

Ommegang - Abbey Ale, Three Philosophers
The Abbey Ale was well-received, very warm beer with a lot of taste, as was Three Philosophers - complex taste with a bitter finish. Both recommended.

Smuttynose - Star Island Single
Another sour beer that was kind of meh for me, but this was at the end of the day when tastebuds were not so sharp.

Schneider Weisse - Aventinus Eisbock
I had this immediately after a big lunch and it didn't sit well - heavy and powerful and just the wrong beer to drink after eating when you're baking in the sun.

tl;dr, favorites of the day were Dogfish Head's Raison d'Etre and Midas Touch, St-Bock's Malediction, Trou du Diable's Solstice d'Ete, Brasseurs RJ's St-Paix and Succursale's Gratzer.

On a side note, does anyone know why Unibroue weren't there? Seems weird to have a beer festival in Quebec without Unibroue being represented...

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 11:46 AM
kalessin

Went two times already in the week so I didn't care that much, but there was a huge lineup just to get into the venue Saturday evening so we bailed out. Not cool.

kalessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 12:19 PM
Brainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalessin View Post
Went two times already in the week so I didn't care that much, but there was a huge lineup just to get into the venue Saturday evening so we bailed out. Not cool.
Yeah, the line downstair was sort of an artificial way to control the flow. I went directly upstairs and got my tickets inside the actual venue.

I arrived 25 minutes after a friend and got my tickets before him.

The IPA from Dieu du ciel (Moralité) was great! La succursale didn't disappoint either.

Last edited by Brainiac: 06-02-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Seb
Michel Therrien

Quote:
Tried a lot of different beers and even took some semi-intelligible non-sophisticated notes as I knocked them off the list. Even though I got there just as it opened, a lot of beers were already sold out from previous days - Dogfish Head's Peche Myces, Stone's Oaked Arrogant *******, Antares, Allagash Tripel, Maui's Coconut Porter and virtually everything in the European booth outside...so here's what I tried:
Yeah there are 2 reasons why I go during the first 2 days in the afternoon : the crowd and the availability of the beers. Last year there was La Folie from New Belgium and it went sold out at like 4pm the first day. I'm glad I got to try it, it was amazing.

Quote:
Brasseur de Montreal - Absinthe & Griffintown
The Absinthe was what you'd expect, not my thing but a friend who got it really enjoyed it. The Griffintown was a blonde, light without a whole lot of flavor but not bad.
Last summer I went to their pub in Westmount and was very disappointed. The food and most of the beers were meh. Not a fan of the place.

Quote:
Huyghe - Delirium Tremens
Citrusy, light, pretty refreshing. I liked it.
It's the beer that got me into Belgians. Love it too! You can find em at some SAQ for like 3-4$.

Dogfish Head - Raison d'Etre, Midas Touch
The only 2 Dogfish Heads left. Everybody really liked Raison d'Etre, strong raisin bread smell and a complex taste, delicious. Midas Touch was what you'd expect from the name, gold and citrusy and tasty. Both these beers were some of the tastiest of the day for sure.[/QUOTE]

Bought a bottle of Midas Touch in my recent visit in the USA and I had to pour it down the drain. It tasted like cough syrup. I know some people love it and I respect DFH so it's probably just not my kind of beer (or a mead? I think it's a mix).

Quote:
Ommegang - Abbey Ale, Three Philosophers
The Abbey Ale was well-received, very warm beer with a lot of taste, as was Three Philosophers - complex taste with a bitter finish. Both recommended.
Yeah Three Philosopher is great, really tasty. You never go wrong with Ommegang, it's owned by Moortgat, those who make the Duvel. They know their sht.

Quote:
On a side note, does anyone know why Unibroue weren't there? Seems weird to have a beer festival in Quebec without Unibroue being represented...
Yeah that's weird. I know some of the smaller breweries didn't come because their supply of beers was simply too low, but that shouldn't be Unibroue's problem, especially since they're now owned by Sapporo.

Old
06-02-2013, 12:49 PM
kalessin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
Yeah, the line downstair was sort of an artificial way to control the flow. I went directly upstairs and got my tickets inside the actual venue.

I arrived 25 minutes after a friend and got my tickets before him.
That's what I tried but they were stopping people at the stairs.

kalessin is offline   Reply With Quote