HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Klesla to the Isles

Old
05-31-2013, 09:28 AM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

vCash: 500
Klesla to the Isles

Isles could use a big stay-at-home guy who can actually play defense(unlike Carkner). I think he'd be a good fit next to Visnovsky on the 2nd pairing. What would it take to get him to Long Island?

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 09:46 AM
seafoam

vCash: 0
Ullstrom and a pick?

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:19 AM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

I'd ask for Sundstrom/Lee. Though Ullstrom + pick is an acceptable return as well for Klesla

IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:31 AM
LotteryForLife*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Isles could use a big stay-at-home guy who can actually play defense(unlike Carkner). I think he'd be a good fit next to Visnovsky on the 2nd pairing. What would it take to get him to Long Island?
Not sure why you feel the need to toss Carkner in here. Could be something personal

LotteryForLife* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:40 AM
seabass45

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
Not sure why you feel the need to toss Carkner in here. Could be something personal
Carkner is fine as a 6/7, could do worse (and oh, we've done worse). Just don't expect him to be a top 4.

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 10:46 AM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Yeah, me and Carkner go way back. He's a real jerk.

Old
05-31-2013, 10:59 AM
Kaibur

Douglas Murray netted two 2nd round picks at the deadline. If that was the market, I don't know why Maloney didn't move Klesla then and open up some ice time for someone like Summers or Rundblad.

I think Maloney's going to find a good return for Klesla. But only if he keeps Keith Yandle. If he's forced to trade Yandle, Klesla is likely going to stay with the Yotes.

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 11:46 AM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
Douglas Murray netted two 2nd round picks at the deadline. If that was the market, I don't know why Maloney didn't move Klesla then and open up some ice time for someone like Summers or Rundblad.

I think Maloney's going to find a good return for Klesla. But only if he keeps Keith Yandle. If he's forced to trade Yandle, Klesla is likely going to stay with the Yotes.
With your top defense prospects being PMDs, and the fact that Yandle has pretty big trade value, my guess is Yandle will be the one moved. Personally I would go after him if I were the Isles, but most Isles fans don't want to part with Brock Nelson, who I'm assuming would be the starting point in a deal like that.

Old
05-31-2013, 11:57 AM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
With your top defense prospects being PMDs, and the fact that Yandle has pretty big trade value, my guess is Yandle will be the one moved. Personally I would go after him if I were the Isles, but most Isles fans don't want to part with Brock Nelson, who I'm assuming would be the starting point in a deal like that.
A two-time All Star absolutely critical to whatever meager offense the Yotes can muster (and who resigned at a very fair rate in the face of ownership uncertainty) won't be moved unless there's an overpayment coming back. As Elliot Friedman said at the deadline:

Quote:
I don't believe Phoenix got any offers that really made the Coyotes consider trading Keith Yandle. They want two forwards, including a centre who can go face-to-face with the Kopitars, Sedins, Thorntons and Getzlafs of the Pacific Division. They also understand that Yandle is a great skater and passer who can play a long time because he never gets hit. You don't give that away without a reason.
As much as I like Klesla, with OEL + Yandle firmly ahead of him on the left, Schlemko a very reliable 3rd pairing PMD resigned for nearly 2 million less, and Gormley waiting in the wings, he's clearly the odd-man out. And although he does have some injury issues, Klesla should be able to fetch a decent return for the Yotes.

Old
05-31-2013, 12:09 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
A two-time All Star absolutely critical to whatever meager offense the Yotes can muster (and who resigned at a very fair rate in the face of ownership uncertainty) won't be moved unless there's an overpayment coming back. As Elliot Friedman said at the deadline:

As much as I like Klesla, with OEL + Yandle firmly ahead of him on the left, Schlemko a very reliable 3rd pairing PMD resigned for nearly 2 million less, and Gormley waiting in the wings, he's clearly the odd-man out. And although he does have some injury issues, Klesla should be able to fetch a decent return for the Yotes.
I understand not wanting to move Yandle, but if you're trying to add significant pieces up front, wouldn't you have a better shot of getting that from dealing Yandle as opposed to Klesla? As someone said earlier, maybe Klesla would get you a couple of 2nd rounders, or a late 1st if you find a team that wants him bad enough. If Yandle can bring back an impact forward+ or two high end forward prospects, wouldn't you make that deal knowing that you already have OEL who can pick up some of the offensive slack from the blue-line(not to mention two potential good ones in Gormley and Rundblad who could both probably step into the NHL next season)?

For argument's sake(not saying I'd do it, but I'd have to consider it), let's say the Isles called for Yandle and a 2nd while offering Brock Nelson and Nino Niederreiter. You wouldn't make that move... or at least consider making that move? Both could step right into your top-6/9 next season, and Nelson fits exactly what you posted from that article(guy who can match up against top-centers). He's a big-bodied, skilled two-way centerman who projects pretty perfectly as a quality #2.

Old
05-31-2013, 12:14 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

He would be the perfect defenseman for Visnovsky to play with. I have no problem with Ullstrom and a pick.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 12:17 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
I understand not wanting to move Yandle, but if you're trying to add significant pieces up front, wouldn't you have a better shot of getting that from dealing Yandle as opposed to Klesla? As someone said earlier, maybe Klesla would get you a couple of 2nd rounders, or a late 1st if you find a team that wants him bad enough. If Yandle can bring back an impact forward+ or two high end forward prospects, wouldn't you make that deal knowing that you already have OEL who can pick up some of the offensive slack from the blue-line(not to mention two potential good ones in Gormley and Rundblad who could both probably step into the NHL next season)?

For argument's sake(not saying I'd do it, but I'd have to consider it), let's say the Isles called for Yandle and a 2nd while offering Brock Nelson and Nino Niederreiter. You wouldn't make that move... or at least consider making that move? Both could step right into your top-6/9 next season, and Nelson fits exactly what you posted from that article(guy who can match up against top-centers). He's a big-bodied, skilled two-way centerman who projects pretty perfectly as a quality #2.
Nelson and Niederreiter should be good enough for GMDM to pick up the phone and start talking. But obviously no one offered that sort of deal at the trade deadline, and at least on HF, most people who are not Yotes fans don't believe Yandle is worth that much.

Yandle obviously has superior trade value to Klesla, no question. The issue is getting a return that more than compensates for what we lose if he's moved, because the fact of the matter is that his offensive skillset isn't easily replacable by OEL, and although Gormley and Rundblad have good upside, they are still unproven at the NHL level. Klesla, OTOH, is very much replaceable and getting a good return out of him should be much more of a straightforward process.

Old
05-31-2013, 12:26 PM
seafoam

The Isles are high are their top forward prospects and with Matt Donovan putting up two impressive seasons in the AHL, it looks like he's ready for NHL duty. He'll likely take Streit's spot, so there is really no need for Yandle.

The Isles do however need one upgrade on defense if they want to take the next step, and it needs to be a shutdown defenseman. I would assume they would be willing to offer B level prospects and picks. It sounds like Ullstrom has been fielding offers from KHL and SEL teams, but a team like the Yotes could offer him more icetime and an increased role.

Old
05-31-2013, 02:17 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
The Isles are high are their top forward prospects and with Matt Donovan putting up two impressive seasons in the AHL, it looks like he's ready for NHL duty. He'll likely take Streit's spot, so there is really no need for Yandle.

The Isles do however need one upgrade on defense if they want to take the next step, and it needs to be a shutdown defenseman. I would assume they would be willing to offer B level prospects and picks. It sounds like Ullstrom has been fielding offers from KHL and SEL teams, but a team like the Yotes could offer him more icetime and an increased role.
I get what you are saying, but assuming there is no need for Yandle because of Matt Donovan seems a bit premature. IMO Donovan's ceiling doesn't reach Yandle's current level. Assuming Donovan doesn't reach his full potential, considering most prospects don't, as well as the fact that Visnovsky will probably be gone or somewhat washed up in 2 years, I'd say that makes Yandle a pretty attractive piece to the Islanders.

I guess it just comes down to how high you are on not only Donovan, but Yandle as well. Because if Donovan flops or if he only tops out as a 3rd pairing/30 point guy, we don't have anyone else in the system who could take his place as the "top-4 PMD of the future". I don't think you can consider de Haan either until he can play a full healthy season.

Old
05-31-2013, 02:23 PM
seafoam

Quote:
I get what you are saying, but assuming there is no need for Yandle because of Matt Donovan seems a bit premature. IMO Donovan's ceiling doesn't reach Yandle's current level. Assuming Donovan doesn't reach his full potential, considering most prospects don't, as well as the fact that Visnovsky will probably be gone or somewhat washed up in 2 years, I'd say that makes Yandle a pretty attractive piece to the Islanders.

I guess it just comes down to how high you are on not only Donovan, but Yandle as well.
You are missing what I'm saying. The Isles have their Yandle in Visovsky for the next two years. There is no need to give up top prospects for a redundant piece. If Donovan doesn't look like he is progressing into a solid offensive defenseman by the end of that two years, then yes, the Isles may have to scramble for an offensive defenseman, but still, that is two years from now. We've seen how a lot can change in two years.

Old
05-31-2013, 02:35 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
You are missing what I'm saying. The Isles have their Yandle in Visovsky for the next two years. There is no need to give up top prospects for a redundant piece. If Donovan doesn't look like he is progressing into a solid offensive defenseman by the end of that two years, then yes, the Isles may have to scramble for an offensive defenseman, but still, that is two years from now. We've seen how a lot can change in two years.
But he's not redundant if he can replace Streit's numbers while providing better defense. You are counting on Donovan doing it from day one. What if he doesn't pan out, and Visnovsky walks or isn't the same player in 2 years? Yes, I get that it's 2 years from now, but who knows if we will be able to get a player like Yandle at that time.

He's only 26 and is under contract for another 3 seasons. It's not like he's another Visnovsky-type hold over. All I'm saying is that the Islanders should pick up the phone when it comes to Yandle, especially if they plan on letting Streit walk(which they should).

Old
05-31-2013, 04:35 PM
Kaibur

Edmonton's offer of Gagner & Paajarvi for Yandle last Draft set the bar for Yandle's trade value (Maloney turned the offer down). Yandle has done nothing to diminish that value (led the team in scoring). For myself, Nelson & Nino < Gagner & Paajarvi, let alone adding a 2nd round pick - an asset Maloney calls "blue chip". I imagine if Yandle were to seriously be dangled, the offers will start to get enticing.

Personally, I think there's a value deal out there to be had for a player in danger of a buyout. For ex. Klesla to TB for Malone - 50%. Or maybe to a defense hungry team that could afford to shed some offense. Klesla to EDM for Hemsky -50%. I tend to think that's how Maloney will get the most bang for his buck.

If the Yotes are stuck with the same budget constraints, it's going to be super tight. I just don't see how they're going to keep Yandle and field a competitive team. But Maloney will work his magic.

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 05:01 PM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
I would do Anders Lee and any one of Carkner/Hickey/Nilsson/Halmo

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2013, 07:49 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Edmonton's offer of Gagner & Paajarvi for Yandle last Draft set the bar for Yandle's trade value (Maloney turned the offer down). Yandle has done nothing to diminish that value (led the team in scoring). For myself, Nelson & Nino < Gagner & Paajarvi, let alone adding a 2nd round pick - an asset Maloney calls "blue chip". I imagine if Yandle were to seriously be dangled, the offers will start to get enticing.

Personally, I think there's a value deal out there to be had for a player in danger of a buyout. For ex. Klesla to TB for Malone - 50%. Or maybe to a defense hungry team that could afford to shed some offense. Klesla to EDM for Hemsky -50%. I tend to think that's how Maloney will get the most bang for his buck.

If the Yotes are stuck with the same budget constraints, it's going to be super tight. I just don't see how they're going to keep Yandle and field a competitive team. But Maloney will work his magic.
Meh. When Maloney turned that offer down, Gagner was still a mid-40 point, lower level 2C(much like Frans Nielsen, without the defensive ability), and Paajarvi was a prospect struggling to live up to his draft position. With the year Gagner's had, that package could look better than Nelson and Nino at this point. That said, I think Nelson and Nino right now is worth more than Gagner and Paajarvi circa 2012 offseason. I honestly don't see Yandle fetching a much better package than that. If that's the case though, I suppose you guys would just keep him?

Old
05-31-2013, 08:47 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:

Maloney won't be forced to trade Yandle! The only way Yandle gets traded is an overpayment like Tavares (which isn't going to happen with the Islanders). Klesla for picks? IMO, not a good idea. On any other team he would be a top 4 d'man. That is the kind of return Maloney will get.

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 11:49 AM
seafoam

Quote:
But he's not redundant if he can replace Streit's numbers while providing better defense. You are counting on Donovan doing it from day one. What if he doesn't pan out, and Visnovsky walks or isn't the same player in 2 years? Yes, I get that it's 2 years from now, but who knows if we will be able to get a player like Yandle at that time.

He's only 26 and is under contract for another 3 seasons. It's not like he's another Visnovsky-type hold over. All I'm saying is that the Islanders should pick up the phone when it comes to Yandle, especially if they plan on letting Streit walk(which they should).
You make fair points, but if the Isles were to aquire Yandle, Donovan would surely have to go the other way, along with a big time center. I'm not sure the Yotes would have interest in Donovan as they have a few more similar defensemen on the way.

Their GM specfically said they are looking for a center to go against the other big centers in the division. Are the Isles in a postion to send off a key cog in their future success and overpay in the process for a piece that can be more or less filled internally?

Donovan's offensive game is polished and while he probably won't make up for every point Streit milked out of the Isles powerplay, he won't provide the traffic pylon defense that Streit did. And just in case you were going to bring this up, if you don't send Donovan the other way, you can't keep him in the minors for two more years. At some point, he needs a looks and I believe it's now.

Old
06-01-2013, 11:54 AM
seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
Maloney won't be forced to trade Yandle! The only way Yandle gets traded is an overpayment like Tavares (which isn't going to happen with the Islanders). Klesla for picks? IMO, not a good idea. On any other team he would be a top 4 d'man. That is the kind of return Maloney will get.
Bingo, there are few aging offensive defensemen on the market this summer and injuries are going to happen along the course of the season. Some team is going to get desperate for Yandle and overpay. The Coyotes have all of the leverage here.