HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Latendresse first game impressions

Old
10-06-2006, 10:09 PM
Form and Substance

vCash: 500
Latendresse first game impressions

Overall a decent start to a hopefully long and illustrious career. He came out pretty good in the first period,createdsome chances and showed some good speed in that failed breakaway attempt in which he tried to toedrag thepuck through the defender's skate. I think he seemed to disappear as the game wore on though. Still, I think he'll be fine at this rate in the NHL.

OT- I was pretty impressed with Perezhogin though. I think he belongs.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 10:24 PM
Habs13

Gui looked great along the boards... at one point he beat out three Sabres for the puck in the corner! This is the kind of player we've been missing for years... once he develops, we'll be much more dangerous.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 10:24 PM
SpezNc

He wasn't bad but he wasn't good... lol it's true that i'm not a Latendresse fan!

In defensive, he didn't seem to know what to do! and he wasn't very creative on offensive... his one on one move in the first period was easy to stop.. yes he was trying to deke the d-man but the d-man easily stop him!

but it's was his first NHL game.. so there is no shame! not alot of 19 yr old are in the NHL..! so good luck to guillaume

SpezNc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 10:28 PM
znk

Buffalo was too fast for him. He needs time to get that fraction of a second. He'll do better against other teams.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Top Corner2

I don't know what game you were watching...but GUI!?! was lost out there tonight. Slow and stunned like a deer caught in the headlights.

I was really excited to see him play but he's gotta improve his play along the boards and his speed or this is going to be a long season. That line was a liability for us all night long.

Top Corner2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
He looked good in the first. I didn't see him at all in the other two periods, though.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Form and Substance View Post
Overall a decent start to a hopefully long and illustrious career. He came out pretty good in the first period,createdsome chances and showed some good speed in that failed breakaway attempt in which he tried to toedrag thepuck through the defender's skate. I think he seemed to disappear as the game wore on though. Still, I think he'll be fine at this rate in the NHL.

OT- I was pretty impressed with Perezhogin though. I think he belongs.
makes me a little nervous in his own end... but I guess thats to be expected with a raw 19 year old talent.

that first buffalo goal is a good example

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 10:30 PM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
makes me a little nervous in his own end... but I guess thats to be expected with a raw 19 year old talent.

that first buffalo goal is a good example
Though he was certainly no Birmingham 6 in that play, it was more Murray's fault than Gui's.

Old
10-06-2006, 10:32 PM
CaptCrunch

His skating was deficient and was a bit lost on the ice.

He was not fast enough to get into an advantageous position and didn't have enough experience yet (duh!) to anticipate the plays.

Its ok though. He'll learn. I just hope he works on his skating because it was a glaring deficiency.

I was of the opinion that Latendresse should be given a chance with the big club this year, so I'm not trying to diss him to prove a point (btw).

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 10:33 PM
mcphee

Buffalo's probably the worst team for his style. The puck's moving so fast , you can't really drill the d man. I seemed that all the CH's offense was on quick plays rather than creating room, just not the type of team he should play his best against.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

This 19th year old kid did a OK job for his first time in the NHL. Come on now, playing 8 minute with Murray and Bégin he actually looked good in the 1st and disappeared while the game progressed. Cut the guy some slack, he'll get use to the speed and play within his limit.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Form and Substance

Well to me it seemed it wasn't his speed that was the problem (although he could definitely use some work in that department) but more a case of having an undefined role on a bottom 6 line. He'll probably have a better game tomorrow but this wasn't a bad start against a talented fast skating buffalo team, he held his own and will only get better with time.

Old
10-06-2006, 10:42 PM
RE-HABS

He looked a little lost in that speed game and maybe nerves got the best of him, he is young and still learning but he never did anything to make himself stand out in a good way or a bad way either.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 10:44 PM
V-2 Schneider

It's his first NHL game, he's 19, and he gets nitpicked.

V-2 Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 10:45 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I just don't like the fact that he is playing on line 4 not alot of minutes per game and that another year in the junior playing 30 minutes a game would have been better for the Habs and Guillaume

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 10:53 PM
madbox

He sure wasn't covering anyone infront of the net when Novotny scored, more or less just looking around. Other than that- and even on that sequence nobody played it well... he looked alright for his first NHL game. Not off the charts, not completely out of place. Made a few good moves along the boards, tried some dekes.

OT- Agreed on Perez. But I like all our kids anyways.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 10:53 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I just don't like the fact that he is playing on line 4 not alot of minutes per game and that another year in the junior playing 30 minutes a game would have been better for the Habs and Guillaume
The top 2 lines of icetime need to be earned, they don't give it to you. Plus another year of Junior witha ton of minutes would not help his game. By playing on the 4th line he is learning the defensive game, plus he is watching and learning on the bench and he is practicing everyday with NHLers and the coaching staff gets to mold him and give him 1 on 1 attention for better development. In the NHL he plays against men, a faster, more skilled and stronger league and you think he is better off to go back the "Q" to play with kids, slower speed and skill set to improve?

Montreal will make that decision after game 9.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 10:59 PM
Nyclaus

I think he did okey given the circumstances...I'd be more worried at the fact that beyon the Koivu line, the rest of the foward are in serious need for some good ol' killer instinct. scary!

Nyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 11:00 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
The top 2 lines of icetime need to be earned, they don't give it to you. Plus another year of Junior witha ton of minutes would not help his game. By playing on the 4th line he is learning the defensive game, plus he is watching and learning on the bench and he is practicing everyday with NHLers and the coaching staff gets to mold him and give him 1 on 1 attention for better development. In the NHL he plays against men, a faster, more skilled and stronger league and you think he is better off to go back the "Q" to play with kids, slower speed and skill set to improve?

Montreal will make that decision after game 9.
Exactly. The great Gilbert Brule who was suppose to center the 2nd line is centering....the 4th now 'cause of his sub-par performance at camp. Playing 8 minutes on the 4th and having 52 minutes to look at his teamates play will be more helpful than playing with guys that will never make the NHL. And I'm not even talking about the other wannabees in the Q trying to go after his head 'cause he was playing for the Habs....

He has nothing to gain for going down, the guy had an improvement on his stats and some were saying he had an atrocious year. If he goes back, if he do well, we'll say it was expected, if he doesn't we'll say it was worst than atrocious.....He stays and learn.....If the Great Brulé can, Latendresse can also.....

Old
10-06-2006, 11:00 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
He wasen't good , possibly our worst foward tonight.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 11:04 PM
Clumsyhab

I think he needs powerskating lessons

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 11:18 PM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Buffalo's probably the worst team for his style. The puck's moving so fast , you can't really drill the d man. I seemed that all the CH's offense was on quick plays rather than creating room, just not the type of team he should play his best against.
Yeah... talk about a major difference. Buffalo really is the team to put a neon marker around any player with skating weaknesses!

Quote:
This 19th year old kid did a OK job for his first time in the NHL. Come on now, playing 8 minute with Murray and Bégin he actually looked good in the 1st and disappeared while the game progressed. Cut the guy some slack, he'll get use to the speed and play within his limit.

Meh. I don't think we are trying to bash the guy. We are just giving our honest opinion. It was his first game and it was against the team with the Rocket skates. I think anyone can see that!

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 11:21 PM
Estimated_Prophet

As McPhee suggested, Buffalo is a tough test for Latendresse as he simply was far too slow to be effective in such a fast paced game.

His first step is just awfull as he has absolutely no acceleration. He definitely needs to improve because he was a liability tonight. Hopefully the matchup against Toronto will prove to be more favourable for Gui.

That being said I have to say that Perezhogin looked very good!

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Teufelsdreck

Give Latendresse the benefit of the doubt for now, and he will surely improve, but anyone who says he should be given greater responsibilities than Perezhogin at this early stage of his career is either blind or prejudiced.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 11:33 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Anybody have the impression that Downey will be in the lineup tomorrow while Lats would not be????