Notices

In your opinion, do players care?

Old
05-30-2013, 02:48 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

vCash: 797
In your opinion, do players care?

I understand that as kids every young hockey player dreams of winning the cup and being apart of all that. But after you win it once do you think players still have a drive.

A guy like Perry, who has won gold medals, won a cup, been successful in every different form of professional hockey and has been making Millions for years with another 8 years of $8+m. What is his motivation to push himself.

Now there are some exceptions like anything but its odd how alot of these big named highly payed players tend to just disappear.

Seems to me like fans care more about wins, winning a cup then the players because win or lose they still make tonnes of money. What is your opinion on this?

douglast5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 02:55 PM
AngelDuck

vCash: 500
These guys are competitors, they care. I do sometimes have questions/doubts about our teams compete level. Could be coaching.

AngelDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 02:56 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Competitiveness. A desire to excel.

Professional athletes don't get where they are without having the type of drive and ambition that, well, the average person really doesn't.

05-30-2013, 03:02 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post

Professional athletes don't get where they are without having the type of drive and ambition that, well, the average person really doesn't.
Yep, this. On lower levels, or even in beer leagues, you have guys that have drive, and you have guys that don't care and do it with talent alone. To get to that special professional level, it takes an unreal amount of talent to even get to without that special drive. It's quite rare. And I'd say that it doesn't get worse after winning a cup. It's such a special thing to witness that getting back there will be just as much of a motivation than before.

That's what I truely believe in, at the very least.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 03:02 PM
Leizi

Quote:

This pretty much. I'd like to think that winning the cup is the ultimate high for these guys and they'd want to feel it again.

Leizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 03:34 PM
rollingdux

Yes, players do care. That hunger and passion of winning never goes away, but I do believe players go through rough patches that make it difficult to enjoy what they are doing and get frustrated. It can be many things like personal distractions, or the grind of a championship year, injuries, or a bad game, bad month, or a bad season.

rollingdux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 03:59 PM
NEWFowler
hi

No. Did you see Perry at the end of the Detroit series? He definitely cares.

NEWFowler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 04:56 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

We get it. You think Perry isn't worth 8 million and doesn't care.

edit: wait. I think I got you mistaken with someone else. my bad.

double edit: and to answer the question, yes. Just like sojourn said, they would never get this far without having an extreme competitive drive. Some care more than others, but as a whole high performers like NHL players have to be much more competitive than the average person because they are the elite 0.1% of hockey players.

Last edited by snarktacular: 05-30-2013 at 05:03 PM.
snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:19 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie9 View Post
No. Did you see Perry at the end of the Detroit series? He definitely cares.
I came to say the same thing. There aren't many that care in hockey more than Perry does. That's why he's won at every level he's played at in his career.

Everybody has a bad playoff round every now and then - Perry just had his. His problem isn't effort based - it's more trying to do too much with the puck and being too fancy. He'll learn and come back strong next year.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 05:54 PM
douglast5
PS3 GMC Comish

vCash: 797
Sorry, I didn't mean this as a bash on Perry thread, just used his example since he is someone were all familiar with. Could have used someone like Nash too, 1 goal in 12 games yet is a highly payed player.

Obviously they do care enough to put themselves through the offseason and all the training and such every year.

Just seems tough to imagine a 25-30 year old millionaire having the same effort/passion as someone who is 18 and still chasing the dream of being a winner.

A guy who won everything has no other levels to work toward, no more things to win since he has won everything. He has already worked his way up to the big pay cheque.

I think Sojourn might have answer for skeptisim, being a average person I may never understand the level of motivation and passion, which leads to me having a hard time understanding why players don't end up just coasting after pay day.

douglast5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 01:52 PM
RPGrizzly

vCash: 942

That doesn't look like a guy who didn't want to win. Perry is one of the most competitive players in the league, it's why he's won the cup, gold medals, and awards. That competitiveness is installed in his brain and doesn't go away. I'd bet he wants to win and improve his game even more, because not only as a hockey player, but a human being, you're always looking to improve yourself. I think Perry just looks at what he's done as history and thinks to himself, "ok, what next?" He seems genuinely humble off the ice.

RPGrizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 02:17 PM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

I think they aren`t as hungry as before they win it first, but in no way they doesn`t care. They respect themselves and i think, as professional athletes, they want to be the best at what they do, no matter what. I doubt they want to be booed and disrespected by their and other fanbases.

And talking about Perry, that guy always cares. Just see his actions and emotions after different plays. That guy enjoys winning more than anything else. He`s very passionate.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 02:23 PM
RPGrizzly

Look at Scott Niedermayer for example. He had a Memorial Cup win, two Stanley Cups, all star games and first team all star awards before he won his Olympic Gold in 2002. What did he do after that? Won two more Cups, a Norris, Conn Smythe, WC Gold, and another Olympic Gold. I'm probably forgetting other awards and another thing, he got his payday too.

My point is these guys wouldn't be where they are without being extremely competitive. You hear players say after they win that first cup, they want to win it again just as much as they wanted the first one. Retirement comes around, but what do most of them do? Stay in hockey. It's just part of their love of the game.

Old
06-01-2013, 02:49 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGrizzly View Post

That doesn't look like a guy who didn't want to win. Perry is one of the most competitive players in the league, it's why he's won the cup, gold medals, and awards. That competitiveness is installed in his brain and doesn't go away. I'd bet he wants to win and improve his game even more, because not only as a hockey player, but a human being, you're always looking to improve yourself. I think Perry just looks at what he's done as history and thinks to himself, "ok, what next?" He seems genuinely humble off the ice.
I think Perry just had an off season, and I suspect a lot of it has to do with the lockout. He just never seemed to find his game, and I think this will end up being his version of the 2011-2012 season that Getzlaf had. Next season I have no doubt we'll see the Perry we've come to expect.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 03:20 PM
RPGrizzly

Quote:
I think Perry just had an off season, and I suspect a lot of it has to do with the lockout. He just never seemed to find his game, and I think this will end up being his version of the 2011-2012 season that Getzlaf had. Next season I have no doubt we'll see the Perry we've come to expect.
Didn't you hear? Perry's new contract is going to be worse than the Gomez and DiPietro contracts

One thing I like about Perry and gives me confidence in him down the road is his hockey IQ, and ability to recognize what aspects of his game need to be fixed. Remember when he first came into the league, he was trying all the fancy moves that worked for him in juniors but wouldn't work in the NHL. It didn't take long at all for him to recognize and fix that part of his game.

Not that I think his game needs very much tuning though. The lockout could have given him some trouble, or maybe his contract situation and afterwards the pressure to prove his worth. It could be a lot of things.

I have no doubt we'll see the Perry we all know next season too.

Old
06-02-2013, 09:44 AM
kenabnrmal

Man, the notion that fans might want a team to win more than the actual players on the team makes my stomach turn. No one wants it more than the players.

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote