HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Canada 2014 team

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2012, 10:04 PM
jfb392

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicNeilTime View Post
Yep I would add him to the mix. Forgot about Reinhart. I don't see Sam making the team however unless he really impresses next year.
Well, he impressed everyone as the captain of the 95 Hlinka team, already played at the spring U18's as an underager, and has big game experience with his club team (was with the team during their WHL and Mem Cup run).

I'd say his odds of making the team should be fairly high given the lack of 94 forwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Cody Ceci's too old, he's a '93. I also don't believe Athanasiou has any chance at making the team.. maybe he gets considered for an invite, but I doubt he even gets invited. Sam Reinhart should be on the team.
I don't like Athanasiou much either, but his improvement so far should at least earn him a summer camp invite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
I dont see Gaunce making it. Hes not really producing and there are better 2 way gritty players to play on the team
Well, I wouldn't really look at his stats this season as the Bulls are awful offensively this year.

Plus, it's about where he'll be at a year from now.
He should be a very strong player next year and will at least get a look.
Don't count out his familiarity with the big ice in Belleville, as this tournament will be in Europe again (Malmö).

Also, as some have said already, some notable 2012 draftees are not eligible for this tournament as they are late 93's.
Ceci, Di Giuseppe, Murray, Sissons, and Subban are the big ones that come to mind immediately.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:23 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Ive only seen him once but I will say that Barrie fans absolutely love him so he cant be as bad as what he was in London. It really just seems like he either wasnt giving it his all in London or his confidence was completely shot.

Hes gotta have some of the best wheels in the CHL and has some pretty nasty hands plus this year hes putting up a decent amount over a point per game without much PP time at all. With the lack of skilled forwards, especially from his draft year I think heèll actually have a pretty good shot at the team. Knighs fans cant stand him and Barrie fans cant believe London let him get away beause hes been such a different player this year. I didnt even want the wings to draft him hoestly and now hes tearing up pretty good, Ièm changing my tune.

I guess I see him there because pretty much all the guys drafted from Canada in that year were grinder types, not high skill speedster types like Athanasiou.

I dont see Gaunce making it. Hes not really producing and there are better 2 way gritty players to play on the team
As I said last year before the draft, the problem with Athanasiou has been his lack of hockey sense. I haven't seen any Barrie games outside of the one against London this year, so to be fair he could have improved, but I doubt it. Athanasiou is a talented player. He has great speed, nice size and very good hands.. but his problem has been hockey sense.

Here's a post I had on him just before the draft last year:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
You'd regret taking him in the 1st round. He's got elite speed and great hands, but he doesn't really have a great mind for the game, IMO. He's not untalented, he just seems like a guy with a bunch of tools but no toolbox. He either doesn't utilize his teammates like he should or doesn't recognize when/how to use them.. personally, I think it's the latter and that's why he'll fall to the late 2nd/3rd round.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Defensive Forward

Quote:
Ive only seen him once but I will say that Barrie fans absolutely love him so he cant be as bad as what he was in London. It really just seems like he either wasnt giving it his all in London or his confidence was completely shot.
From what I understand it was a little bit of both. His confidence was shot by his lack of ice time, which prompted him to ask for a trade. He was publicly unhappy with his role which may have led to a lesser effort on a game to game basis, but that is speculation on my part.

Quote:
Hes gotta have some of the best wheels in the CHL and has some pretty nasty hands plus this year hes putting up a decent amount over a point per game without much PP time at all. With the lack of skilled forwards, especially from his draft year I think heèll actually have a pretty good shot at the team. Knighs fans cant stand him and Barrie fans cant believe London let him get away beause hes been such a different player this year. I didnt even want the wings to draft him hoestly and now hes tearing up pretty good, Ièm changing my tune.
Don't get me wrong, I realize he's got a LOT of skill. If you need proof of my feelings, go look at the old Athanasiou threads on the Prospects board last year. I was very high on him at the start of last year, especially after the Ivan Hlinka. As the year went on, I tempered my expectations. He seemed like an "all of the tools but no toolbox" type of guy. If he has changed that much, I'm really happy for him; I was a fan until his trade request.

Quote:
I guess I see him there because pretty much all the guys drafted from Canada in that year were grinder types, not high skill speedster types like Athanasiou.
Based on his stats, I suppose it may not hurt to invite him to the summer camp, but until I see him play this year I will remain a skeptic. Unfortunately, I had no free time whatsoever as a result of my hectic school schedule so my opinion is based solely off of last years info.

edit: I see Hoss beat me with the lack of hockey sense point. I should stop taking so much time to think out my points.

Old
12-18-2012, 11:30 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

good list, noticed AA is a detroit draft pick so i see where that is coming from...

Old
12-19-2012, 04:22 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

my wild guess

Drouin - Monahan - Mackinnon
McDavid - Reinhart - Shinkaruk
Hudon - Lazar - Domi or Duclair
Wilson - Laughton - Leipsic

that checkingline.....

Rielly - Reinhart
Finn - Pouliot
Pelech - Pulock

Old
12-21-2012, 10:09 AM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheramone View Post
good list, noticed AA is a detroit draft pick so i see where that is coming from...
No, all of the above posters have pretty much the same feelings as me but most havent seen him since hes been in Barrie. Hes producing like crazy without much PP time (although he'll probably get it now with Scheif gone) and he has skill.

Do you really think team Canada is going to fill out their team with all grinders from the 2012 draft? Because Canada hardly has any skilled forwards from that draft, I also dont think theyll take all young players to be counted on as scorers.

His play has taken a complete 180 from last season in London and hes producing well over a ppg, why is it so far fetched to see him on the team? 6'2, fast, putting up points and is older then most skilled players.

Old
12-21-2012, 10:30 AM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
Jankowski might have a shot next year depending on how he develops this year. He wont be playing with the Flames thats for sure.

Sam Reinhart is a kid i could see easily making the team.

Old
12-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Torts

for the sake of this thread ill say the only players from the 2013 draft that stick in the NHL are Mackinnon and seth jones of the US. Depending on who Monahan gets picked by he may not have a spot next year. So heres my team for Malmo.

Drouin - Monahan - Hudon (A)
Shinkaruk - Jankowski - Mantha
Horvat - Gaunce (A) - Domi
Leipsic - Laughton - Wilson
S. Reinhart

Finn - G. Reinhart (C)
Pelech - Dumba
Fournier - Severson
Morrissey

Paterson
Murray
Martin/Comrie

Old
12-21-2012, 11:01 AM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

God..it looks horrible. Please invite Connor McDavid.

Old
12-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
I'd imagine the Leafs would want Rielly in the NHL next year.
What if there is no NHL next year?

Old
12-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Sean Monahan
Moewny

vCash: 50
Please, no Pelech on the team

Slater Koekkoek will be on the team

Old
12-21-2012, 02:34 PM
That

Koekkoek should be on the team. Ekblad as well.

As much as I'd love to Athanasiou on the team, I doubt he'll be on it. He has blazing fast speed and crazy good hands, but his hockey sense and consistency are both lacking. Honestly, if he was even more consistent, I think he'd have a much better chance of being on this team. He's incredible when we gets going.

Quote:
I forgot about Ekblad I think he'll be there. Disagree on Athanasiou if he keeps putting up a tonne of offense with his speed. He doesnt even get PP time and hes producing quite a bit, I think he'll be there.
Quote:
What? He's been playing on the first powerplay unit for a month now. Before that he was playing on the second unit, which still gets a fairly large amount of time.

Old
12-22-2012, 12:04 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
What? He's been playing on the first powerplay unit for a month now. Before that he was playing on the second unit, which still gets a fairly large amount of time.
Well something has drastically changed then because he wasnt getting it when I watched him and the posters on the Barrie thread in the OHL boards have been complaining that hes been producing but not getting much of a shot at all on the PP.

Agree completely on Ekblad being there, Koekoek is iffy though

Old
06-01-2013, 02:06 PM
LukeMurphy5

Drouin-Mackinnon-Hudon
Monahan-Domi-Wilson
Shinkaruk-Mcdavid-Gaunce
Laughton-Leipsic-Petan
13th:Horvat
Rielly-Reinhart
Ekblad-Pulock
Nurse-Subban
7th:dumba
Subban
Fucale

"C"Drouin
"A"Rielly & Reinhart

Old
06-02-2013, 04:11 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeMurphy5 View Post
Drouin-Mackinnon-Hudon
Monahan-Domi-Wilson
Shinkaruk-Mcdavid-Gaunce
Laughton-Leipsic-Petan
13th:Horvat
Rielly-Reinhart
Ekblad-Pulock
Nurse-Subban
7th:dumba
Subban
Fucale

"C"Drouin
"A"Rielly & Reinhart
Couple of things, most likely both Drouin and Mackinnon will be in the NHL, but lets include them for now. Not a fan of Tom Wilson and especially not on the 2nd line and even more so not in Europe on the 2nd line. Your goalie Subban is a 93 birth year and turns 20 5 days before the tournament starts, therefore not eligible to play. McDavid and Reinhart were effective at the U18 where they won gold, so lets keep that pair together for now. This is the team I'd like to see. A lot of underagers, but I've been saying for years, 93 and 94 birth years not a lot of high end talent or depth. 95 is loaded with talent and the 2015 tournament comes home to Canada, most likely Hockey Canada wants the most experienced team for Montreal/Quebec City 2015.

J DROUIN N MACKINNON C LAZAR
H SHINKARUK B LEIPSIC N PETEN
S MONAHAN C MCDAVID S REINHART
K RYCHEL S LAUGHTON B GUANCE

M DOMI

D POULIOT M RIELLY
G REINHART A EKBLAD
D NURSE R PULOCK
S THEODORE M DUMBA

Z FUCALE
E COMRIE
J PETERSON

Old
06-02-2013, 06:54 AM
wolf13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Couple of things, most likely both Drouin and Mackinnon will be in the NHL, but lets include them for now. Not a fan of Tom Wilson and especially not on the 2nd line and even more so not in Europe on the 2nd line. Your goalie Subban is a 93 birth year and turns 20 5 days before the tournament starts, therefore not eligible to play. McDavid and Reinhart were effective at the U18 where they won gold, so lets keep that pair together for now. This is the team I'd like to see. A lot of underagers, but I've been saying for years, 93 and 94 birth years not a lot of high end talent or depth. 95 is loaded with talent and the 2015 tournament comes home to Canada, most likely Hockey Canada wants the most experienced team for Montreal/Quebec City 2015.

J DROUIN N MACKINNON C LAZAR
H SHINKARUK B LEIPSIC N PETEN
S MONAHAN C MCDAVID S REINHART
K RYCHEL S LAUGHTON B GUANCE

M DOMI

D POULIOT M RIELLY
G REINHART A EKBLAD
D NURSE R PULOCK
S THEODORE M DUMBA

Z FUCALE
E COMRIE
J PETERSON
MacKinnon and Drouin are gone. The top 2 CHL forwards drafted basically never end up back in junior. It won't happen with these 2.

Old
06-02-2013, 07:33 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf13 View Post
MacKinnon and Drouin are gone. The top 2 CHL forwards drafted basically never end up back in junior. It won't happen with these 2.
Didn't I say that already, but I left them included for now.

Old
06-02-2013, 09:10 AM
wolf13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Didn't I say that already, but I left them included for now.
No you didn't. You said most likely.

Old
06-03-2013, 03:58 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf13 View Post
No you didn't. You said most likely.
most likely/will be? Anything constructive to add to the discussion with regards to the roster or do you just want to argue semantics?

Old
06-03-2013, 07:18 AM
jfc64

Domi! Connors! Rychel! **** All Ye! Finn! Sounds like a tough team!

Old
06-20-2013, 10:18 AM
coolhockeyjack
Bobby looooou

Quote:
I'm actually interested in all the world junior talk as to who everyone thinks will get the call next year to play for team Canada.

Rielly and Reinhart should return on D if they arent in the NHL. I'll say Pouliot, Dumba, Ceci, Pulock, Pelech, and Finn will all be in the mix. Murray will be in the NHL. Nurse may be in the running as well

Drouin, Monahan, Hudon, Lazar, Shinkaruk, Wilson, Laughton, Kosmachuk, Leipsic, Athansiou, Lazar, Mantha, Domi and Rychel may all be in the running. I'm probably missing some forwards that will get strong consideration. The top 6 forwards wil rely on skilled players from the 13 draft because 2012 was so bad for Canadian forwards

Drouin - Monahan - Hudon
Athansiou - Shinkaruk - Domi
Kosmachuk - Lazar - Leipsic
Wilson - Laughton - Mantha
Rychel

Rielly Reinhart
Pelech Pouliot
Pulock Finn
Ceci

Dumba has to turn it around before I'll put him in there, absolutely brutal at the camp this year.

Goalies

Paterson
Fucale

Pateron is the only returnee and he had a lights out camp this year, Fucale is highly rated. Not sure who the third goalie will be
Where is McDavid? I could definitely see him fitting in.

Old
06-20-2013, 04:00 PM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Here's my guess:

Shinkaruk - Monahan - Hudon
Horvat - Laughton - Wilson
Domi - McDavid - Lazar
Rychel - Jankowski - Mantha
S. Reinhart

Rielly - G. Reinhart
Ekblad - Pouliot
Koekkoek - Dumba
Finn

Fucale
Paterson
Comrie

Old
06-20-2013, 06:17 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

as per nicholson, they'll be announcing coaching staff in 7-10 days.

Old
06-25-2013, 11:12 AM
Francesa
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

@TSNBobMcKenzie 12:11 PM
Hockey Canada will announce tomorrow that Brent Sutter has agreed to be head coach of Canada's national junior team for 2014.

Old
06-25-2013, 11:46 AM
HFX902

MacKinnon will be there just like Nugent-Hopkins last year.

Closed Thread