HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What hockey means in your life.

Old
10-06-2006, 11:13 PM
the_fan

vCash: 500
i'll say this...if they told me i could marry the most beautiful woman on earth but i never get to play or watch hockey ever again i'd chose hockey

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
hockey

is

everything

10-07-2006, 12:24 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
What does hockey mean to me? Not as much as Angie. But she's into hockey too, to her a night out'd be going to one of my games.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Hockeylover

Colton23!

Yesterday I played hockey in a gym. There was the older guy who ever came to those games. He told us he is 60 years old! Of course, he was not the fastest runner, but he was not the worst player. He bumped into a little asian girl. The girl got back up right away, but the guy stayed lying on the floor and left for a few minutes... I applaud him anyway. I hope I'm in his shape when I am his age. It gives hope!

Hockeylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2006, 02:58 AM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by colton23 View Post
HOCKEY PLAYERS: The cockiest, dirtiest, most irresponsible group of athletes in the world. We'll do anything and come back to tell our teammates about it. Live the dream until they are 35 then realize they never made it. beezies want to be us, we are the soul of the universe. You lace up the skates, put on the gloves, strap on the helmet, and walk on to the ice and nothing else matters. It doesn't matter that you failed a test, your girl is bein a *****, or that you got a ticket on the way there...you're world is absolutely perfect for the next couple hours Here's to faceoffs, goals, assists, overtime, livin' on the road, cold rinks, early mornings, breakaways, goin' top shelf, countless hours of practice, bag skates,thousands of dollars, dangling d-men, big hits, broken twigs, new skates, packin' bombs, coaches, adding the letter "y" to the end of everyone's last name, the word "****", pick up, fights, let downs, miracles and most of all - the game, Hockey Why? Why do we skate back and forth night after night? Skating so hard we throw up. Skating so hard your heart beat rings in your head, while your lungs are grasping for air. Late nights, early mornings, Friday nights, Saturday evenings, broken bones, torn muscles and deep bruises. We skate through it all. Because we live off our adrenaline, because the game frees your spirit, because the party in the locker room is fine, because your invincible once you step on the ice, because a shot can make you smile all night, sniping the twine, the rattling of the boards, the feel of the puck, and skates carving into the ice is a rhythm to live by, because its possible to skate fast enough to leave all your worries behind. Sweat is the cologne of our accomplishment. Why? Why would someone push themselves so hard? It's not for the money, it's not for the fame. We do it because we love it. Hockey = Life
best post I have ever read!

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 11:31 AM
hockey_power

LIVE LOVE LEARN

HOCCKKEEYYY
w00t.

i dunno what i would do if i DIDNT play hahha
i would probably be a fat piece sitting on the couch

hockey_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 12:57 PM
hockeyprincess

everything

hockeyprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 06:41 AM
Hockeymom67

Well I guess you could say that hockey is quite important .I have 4 boys and they've been into hockey now for 7 years .So you can imagine how I spend most of my weekends.Still ,I 'm not complaining ......I LOVE THE SPORT AND ALWAYS WILL .
I also play ,with a women 's rec league ,nothing great but at least I get to play .I 've always been the team manager for my eldest son and this year I 've added assistant coaching to my duties ..My hubby no longer plays but he still enjoys the game as we own season tixs to the the HABS .So seeing 5 hockey games in one day is not unusual for me .Gotta love the sport !!!!

Hockeymom67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 11:36 AM
mac-sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
i'll say this...if they told me i could marry the most beautiful woman on earth but i never get to play or watch hockey ever again i'd chose hockey
what about the most beautiful boy in the world? would you say yeah to that?

mac-sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2006, 04:23 PM
TheLokNesMonster

I went through that whole thing recently and I'm a whole lot older than 23.

My job has become a primary issue for the first time in my life. Staying out until after midnight on a work night, and also showing up at client meetings with the occasional black eye or facial gash has kind of become unacceptable.

My main reason though is that I can't really find a good league, team, or situation anymore. The older I get, the fewer my options. My friends aren't playing as much anymore due to jobs, family, money, etc., and playing with a bunch of a-holes 10 years younger than you isn't that fun. After a game I can't get out of that locker room fast enough.

It was bound to happen sooner or later, but I'm probably going to have to quit the league scene pretty soon. It's just not as rewarding as it used to be. I'll still play pick up a few times a month, but it isn't the same rush. It is hockey though, and I'm going to keep skating until they put me in the ground...

TheLokNesMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2006, 09:00 AM
TheLokNesMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
Put yourself through hell...or choose hockey. Really tough choice there.

TheLokNesMonster is offline   Reply With Quote