HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anze Kopitar vs Carey Price

Old
10-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Habs13

vCash: 500
I wanted Bobby Ryan and then when he was selected, Gilbert Brule... but I like the Price pick now.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 05:37 PM
Habsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
In 10 years Habs fans will be asking, "Anze who?" They'll know the name Carey Price very well.
Precisely.

Price was our best goalie in camp... easily. He is still learning too. That kid is going to be an amazing goalie and will win a cup for us.

Habsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 05:53 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot View Post
Considering that the Habs are still lacking a sizeable and skilled centre, do you think the organization will regret not selecting Anze Kopitar over Carey Price with their 1st round fifth pick?

TSN's Mackenzie has chosen Kopitar as a top ten shining rookie for this new season.

Imagine if we had Kopitar and Latendresse on the same line.Or Kopitar with Kovalev.If Kostitsyn was a left winger we would have the leagues first KKK line.

Of course at the time of that draft, they couldn't predict the emergence of Huet and further decline of Theodore.

Do you think we were heavily considering Kopitar?Did they even meet with him?

I do know that they had been following Price for years and felt he had the potential to be a franchise goalie for us.He is very mature for his years.Who do you think was their next 1st choice?

Many critics love Price as well, but were surprised that the Habs selected him considering their obvious lack of size at centre.

How do you feel about it now?

Elliot
Ask LA if they wished they had a potential No.1 goaltender in their pipeline....... You need 4 centers on a team, and only one goaltender: I prefer to make sure my goaltender is good.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 07:32 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
Sure we can:

Kopitar
spock
evil
Red heads (you're right : that was a given ! )

Now the tough ones:

Kopitar vs Brule
Seinfeld vs Curb your enthusiasm
evil vs twisted evil
Red heads vs brunettes
Kopitar
Seinfeld
Either...
Brunnettes.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 08:03 PM
All-Star

From what I remember, the HFBoards and media consensus looked like this:

Crosby

*HUGE drop off*

Johnson
Pouliot
Brule
Ryan
Kopitar

*major drop off*

Skille
Staal
Price

*another yet smaller drop off*

The guys in each grouping were ordered differently depending on where you looked, but the names in each group remained the same for the most part.

A couple of days before the draft, after being asked a question on the 6 man draft, the Habs brass responded that they liked the next three in line as much as the Crosby-less top five.

After some panicking, the HFBoards Habs fans managed to successfully convince themselves that Gainey and the boys must have been trying to screw with the other teams' GM's minds...

In 2005, my guy was Brule, but I was convinced he wouldn't be around at 5, so I was prepared to settle for Ryan...

After seeing what Price can do through two training camps and a few games, he is now the man as far as I'm concerned.

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2006, 11:25 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
From what I remember, the HFBoards and media consensus looked like this:

Crosby

*HUGE drop off*

Johnson
Pouliot
Brule
Ryan
Kopitar

*major drop off*

Skille
Staal
Price

*another yet smaller drop off*

The guys in each grouping were ordered differently depending on where you looked, but the names in each group remained the same for the most part.

A couple of days before the draft, after being asked a question on the 6 man draft, the Habs brass responded that they liked the next three in line as much as the Crosby-less top five.

After some panicking, the HFBoards Habs fans managed to successfully convince themselves that Gainey and the boys must have been trying to screw with the other teams' GM's minds...

In 2005, my guy was Brule, but I was convinced he wouldn't be around at 5, so I was prepared to settle for Ryan...

After seeing what Price can do through two training camps and a few games, he is now the man as far as I'm concerned.
Darn right!

And, the goalie is the most important position on a team (also rarely injured compared to forwards/defencemen).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 01:37 AM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot View Post
Considering that the Habs are still lacking a sizeable and skilled centre, do you think the organization will regret not selecting Anze Kopitar over Carey Price with their 1st round fifth pick?

TSN's Mackenzie has chosen Kopitar as a top ten shining rookie for this new season.

Imagine if we had Kopitar and Latendresse on the same line.Or Kopitar with Kovalev.If Kostitsyn was a left winger we would have the leagues first KKK line.

Of course at the time of that draft, they couldn't predict the emergence of Huet and further decline of Theodore.

Do you think we were heavily considering Kopitar?Did they even meet with him?

I do know that they had been following Price for years and felt he had the potential to be a franchise goalie for us.He is very mature for his years.Who do you think was their next 1st choice?

Many critics love Price as well, but were surprised that the Habs selected him considering their obvious lack of size at centre.

How do you feel about it now?

Elliot
My guess is they will regret Brule more than Kopitar as he looks like the better prospect. I would never blow a top 10 pick on a goalie myself but the Hab brass and those who get to see Price play still love the guy. If you think you have a Martin Brodeur on the way up, just how many centers are going to help your team as much? Until he is surpassed by one of the guys they could have had, I don't think they are losing any sleep. I think they would like to see how he looks with a team in front of him though.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 01:50 AM
sandbox

Are you guys dillusional? I have Carey Price on one of my money league keepers teams, so dont get me wrong i hope he does well. But anze Kopitar is an effing stud, he is honestly the next mats Sundin...also i dont know how you can say you're glad you took him over Brule, thats just rediculous.

sandbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 01:53 AM
Complaining Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
Ask LA if they wished they had a potential No.1 goaltender in their pipeline....... You need 4 centers on a team, and only one goaltender: I prefer to make sure my goaltender is good.
They have. Jonathan Bernier. You are kidding yourself if you think that LA needs a Price more than Montreal needs a Kopitar.

Ask any LA fan if he'd prefer to have Price over Kopitar, the answer is no, 100% negative. The guy is a stud. I personnally don't mind the Price pick, never did, but I'm confident Kopitar will prove he would have been a better option.

Complaining Customer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 02:02 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelleforpres View Post
Are you guys dillusional? I have Carey Price on one of my money league keepers teams, so dont get me wrong i hope he does well. But anze Kopitar is an effing stud, he is honestly the next mats Sundin...also i dont know how you can say you're glad you took him over Brule, thats just rediculous.
After seeing CAREY PRICE play more than 5-6 times (this year and last year), I'm convinced we have ourselves a near-future #1 goalie.

The only player I would have selected over him in that draft year is CROSBY. ('Cause he's the only player that has proven himself a 100% already). Good for L.A. that they have Kopitar, good for Columbus that they have Brule. We have Price and we're darn happy with Price.
So, if you're an L.A. or Columbus fan good for you, stick to appreciating your Kopitar or your Brule .
Worry about the other missing elements in L.A. and Columbus, and we'll worry about ours. Thank-you very much!(:

Because Brule is playing now then of course Brule would have been great for us NOW...
Carey Price still has (approx.) 2 years to go...he'll play the WJC and hopefully help Canada win Gold, and then join the Habs in the near-future...

I just wish Price was 21-22-23 yrs old NOW instead of 19 years old!! But, I have a strong feeling he'll be worth the small wait

For now it's a waiting game (to see who was a better pick). And...
Maybe in the long run Price, Brule, and Kopitar will all have good/great NHL careers.

And, I still say that the goalie is the most important position (Aebischer is there now to put pressure on Huet, and then there's Danis, Halak, and of course CAREY PRICE). I'm happy with our goaltending for now and hopefully the next ten years, or more...

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 10-06-2006 at 02:16 AM.
Old
10-06-2006, 02:20 AM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complaining Customer View Post
They have. Jonathan Bernier. You are kidding yourself if you think that LA needs a Price more than Montreal needs a Kopitar.

Ask any LA fan if he'd prefer to have Price over Kopitar, the answer is no, 100% negative. The guy is a stud. I personnally don't mind the Price pick, never did, but I'm confident Kopitar will prove he would have been a better option.
100% correct. The Kings have Bernier as their future #1 prospect goalie, and a host of others in the pipeline that can challenge. Kopitar has been unbelievable this preseason and even appears to be the perfect compliment to get Frolov to elevate his game.

As for the footspeed arguement, this kid is bigger than Joe Thornton. Does anyone really worry about how fast Thornton skates?

Now I can't say who coulda/woulda/shoulda fit best for Montreal, but I haven't seen ONE Kings' fan who isn't ecstatic to have Kopitar. This kid is going to be awesome.

Hopefully yourr goalie will be too. Then the Kings & Habs can meet in the finals again, only this time with the Kings coming out on top (yes, I'm still bitter about '93)!

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 03:36 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
100% correct. The Kings have Bernier as their future #1 prospect goalie, and a host of others in the pipeline that can challenge. Kopitar has been unbelievable this preseason and even appears to be the perfect compliment to get Frolov to elevate his game.

As for the footspeed arguement, this kid is bigger than Joe Thornton. Does anyone really worry about how fast Thornton skates?

Now I can't say who coulda/woulda/shoulda fit best for Montreal, but I haven't seen ONE Kings' fan who isn't ecstatic to have Kopitar. This kid is going to be awesome.

Hopefully your goalie will be too. Then the Kings & Habs can meet in the finals again, only this time with the Kings coming out on top (yes, I'm still bitter about '93)!

Maybe this time it'll be Jonathan Bernier vs. Carey Price!! 2009 Cup finals?

FINALLY!! A non-Hab fan who comes to post on Hab boards with something fair/smart/decent to say about the whole Kopitar, Price choices...
And, same here...what is so wrong with both Kopitar and Price having solid careers? It's very possible. It just might happen. I'll be happy for Kopitar and especially for Price ('cause I'm such a huuuuge Hab fan...).

Cheers
------------ -----------
p.s.: by the way...I liked your Kelly Hrudey in '93, & love him now on CBC (his comments are smart/very fair), IMO he should replace Don Cherry... And, sorry about '93, it was mostly Roy's fault!! (& Desjardins, Kirk Muller, LeClair, Damphousse, Carbonneau, Schneider, Odelein, Keane...ok I'm getting cocky !! ).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 10-06-2006 at 03:41 AM.
Old
10-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Luongo has been traded twice and has yet to see playoffs. What's Dipetro ever done, besides signing a ridiculours contract ?Fleury is a big question mark. Lehtonen looks like he's gonna be something special though

That's other thing: since we don't plan on being bottom feeders for years in a row like Pitt or Atlanta did, for only once we had the chance to take a game breaker with tons of skills, something it's very difficult to acquire any other way than drafting it top5. Faith gave us that chance, but we took the goalie...

Atl took Lehtonen but they had stunk for years, so they already had Heatley and Kovalchuk. Pitt took Fleury but they knew there were more top picks coming, so they now have Malkin, Crosby, Whitney to go with him

We never finish last, so we win a draw and take Price; but where's our Malkin gonna come from? our Kovalchuk ? Our Heatley ? That was our chance to take a special player and then find a goalie which is easier to do, but we blew it...
There was no Malkin or Kovalchuk or Heatly in that Draft... not @ 5 anyways damn!

and we picked up our Lehtonen...who'll be more valuable than Kovy in a couple of years. Sure he's not Flash, Dash etc... but he keeps them OUT. Everyone needs that

Imagine if montreal didn't have good goalies...we would be bottom feeders all those years we made the playoffs.

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
And, sorry about '93, it was mostly Roy's fault!! (& Desjardins, Kirk Muller, LeClair, Damphousse, Carbonneau, Schneider, Odelein, Keane...ok I'm getting cocky !! ).
Jerk.

Actually, I blame McSorely 100%. What a no (scoring) talent hack like that was doing with an illegal stick is beyond me...

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanye West View Post
There was no Malkin or Kovalchuk or Heatly in that Draft... not @ 5 anyways damn!

and we picked up our Lehtonen...who'll be more valuable than Kovy in a couple of years. Sure he's not Flash, Dash etc... but he keeps them OUT. Everyone needs that

Imagine if montreal didn't have good goalies...we would be bottom feeders all those years we made the playoffs.
Were any of those goalies top5 picks ? That's my point. A good proportion of dominant goalies in the NHL today were acquired by their team via trade, free agency and/or were lower picks. A good goalie can be found; there are lots of late bloomers at that position. A top end positionnal talent has to be drafted, and quite high, most of the times !

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 12:54 PM
JohnnyReb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob ******** View Post
It's so much more difficult to find a good goalie then find a defenseman then find a forward...
Price was the BPA at the time. I still think it's a good pick.

Really?

So you would trade Mike Komisarek for Cam Ward? Today? With Huet and Abby and Danis already in the fold?

If not the above trade, would you give up Latendresse for Tuuka Rask or Jonathon Bernier?

JohnnyReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Jerk.

Actually, I blame McSorely 100%. What a no (scoring) talent hack like that was doing with an illegal stick is beyond me...
That was McSorely's best season... He was an awesome defenceman (I watched a tonne of Gretzky/Kings on CBC doubleheaders growing up My favourite Stanley Cup ) that year... 15 G-26A 41Pts, 81GP... League leading 399 PIM (holeee **** lol)
He also added 10 points (4-6-10) in the playoffs with... again a league leading 60 PIM in 24 games...
I remember he was a ferocious player to play against...
I honestly couldnt imagine a 300 PIM player now...

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 01:37 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Jerk.

Yep, I think every kings fan blames McSorely (myself included.) I'm not saying that he was the only reason that the kings lost the cup, but i think that illegal stick was a HUGE part of the turnaround in Montreal/Kings play in that game/series.

As far as Kopitar vs. Price...The kings fans are ecstatic about Kopitar (myself included again) and I hope that he has many great years ahead. With Bernier and others in the pipeline, the kings needs someone like Kopitar more than a goalie. As far as Price is concerned, I think he will be a very good goalie. The Habs are my second favorite team (behind the kings of course) and would love to see this guy be an allstar.

Let's hope for that 2009 Stanley Cup finals Kings vs. Habs as someone mentioned!!

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 01:40 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Were any of those goalies top5 picks ? That's my point. A good proportion of dominant goalies in the NHL today were acquired by their team via trade, free agency and/or were lower picks. A good goalie can be found; there are lots of late bloomers at that position. A top end positionnal talent has to be drafted, and quite high, most of the times !
A Good goalie can be found?

Tell that too

Ottawa
St. Louis
Toronto
Boston
Columbus
Tampa Bay

if it were that easy... why so many teams struggle?

The thing is that in Montreal...we seem to be able to get 1 hit wonders or make average goalies perform at above average level.

I think its more a characteristic of our Staff then our Goalies.

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Genghis Keon

Quote:
Detroit has seemed to have found fairly decent talent in later rounds of the draft, as has Ottawa and New Jersey. Under the new CBA, Chicago was able to trade for their franchise player (Marty Havlat--a late first round pick btw) and the Bruins picked up their anchor on defense (Chara--a third round pick btw). The landscape has changed. Teams with plenty of talent are going to be ripe for their picking when their players' contracts come up, with, it looks like, the exception of New Jersey (who were able to keep Gomez, a late first round pick; Elias, a second round pick; Gionta, a third round pick).

With smart drafting, you can find a great player anywhere in the draft, and a 5th overall pick is no guarantee, as you can see from the 30 5th overall picks before Price:

-Blake Wheeler
-Thomas Vanek
-Ryan Whitney
-Stan Chisov
-Raffi Torres
-Tim Connolly
-Vitaly Vishnevsky
-Eric Brewer
-Richard Jackman
-Daymond Langkow
-Jeff O'Neill
-Rob Neidermayer
-Darius Kasparaitis
-Aaron Ward
-Jaromir Jagr (there was still the European bias at the time--othewise he wouldn't have been available)
-Bill Guerin
-Daniel Dore
-Chris Joseph
-Shawn Anderson
-Dana Murzyn
-Petr Svoboda
-Tom Barasso
-Scott Stevens
-Joe Cirella
-Darren Veitch
-Rick Vaive
-Mike Gillis
-Mike Crombeen
-Bjorn Johansson
-Rick Lapointe

There are some studs on the list, and some very good players, but there are also enough run of the mill players and busts to show that the fifth overall pick won't necessarily get you a star player. It's still up to the scouts and management to do their homework and make the best choice they can with the information they have. I'm sure every team in the 1990 draft, save maybe Pittsburgh (who picked Jagr), would love to go back and pick Brodeur if they could. If our scouts think Price has the ability to be a great goalie and has a better chance of being a successful NHL player than the other players available in the draft, I wouldn't want them to skip Price just because he's a goalie and then pick up a Mike Lenarduzzi in the second or third round just because goalies are hard to rate and Lanarduzzi might become just as or more effective than Brodeur as they develop.

Even if Price isn't the best goalie in the draft, it doesn't necessarily mean that his selection was poor asset management. Odds are that whoever we picked will not be the best player in their position chosen in the draft. Look at the 30 previous #5 picks--how many of them proved to be the best player taken in the draft (excluding of course the #1-4 picks)? You'd obviosuly assume Jagr and Stevens, but Brodeur was taken in Jagr's draft and Gilmour taken in Stevens' draft (in the seventh round no less), so even then it's not entirely cut and dry, and Jagr and Stevens are both first ballot hall of fame players. So, again, in my opinion scouts have to choose the player who they think has the most potential and the best chance of reaching that potential, and if Price was that prospect, they did right by picking him, even if he is a goalie. Hindsight might prove that he wasn't the best pick, but odds are that no matter who we chose won't be the best pick, even if we hit the jackpot and our pick proves to be a hall of fame caliber player.

Genghis Keon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 03:58 PM
Hollywood

I am a kings fan but also have a soft spot for the Canadiens because I like watching Ryder play.
I can tell you every single Kings fan is joyous about Kopitar. He is the real deal and a lot of teams dropped the ball on this kid. Some teams may feel like they have dropped the ball also on Price but generally it takes more years for a good goaltender to develop and that is why I feel Kopitar has more value.
Both are going to turn out great I am sure.
I am just exercising a little bias, the same as every Montreal fan here is doing also.

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2006, 11:51 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
NHL debut,Kopitar as 2 goals so far for the kings in the 2nd period

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 12:05 AM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
NHL debut,Kopitar as 2 goals so far for the kings in the 2nd period
therefore Kopitar wins

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 12:25 AM
Teufelsdreck

If Price turned out to be an inferior goaltender, I might have some sympathy for the whiners. However, Some posters observed that Price looked better than Huet and Aebischer in the preseason. I agree.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 12:28 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
therefore Kopitar wins
But Price with 16:00 minute remaining in the 3rd, stopped 19 shots out of 20, his team lead 2 to 1. How does this compare???

It's definately not the greatest day to talk about that comparison, seems like Kopitar is playing really great.....

I guess we could go in the NHL thread and instead of those stupid Price VS Brule, somebody should start a Kopitar VS Brule.......

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote