HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Latendresse first game impressions

Old
10-07-2006, 12:38 AM
HabuseMoi

vCash: 500
Dandenault would accelerate faster if a boeing was attached to his back, just to give you an idea ^-^

he'll need to work on his skating big time, even if he's more fitted to play against teams that are not as fast as Buffalo

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 12:39 AM
lilooet*

One reason he may have been "invisible" is that he only got 8 minutes, 11 seconds of icetime; less than Murray. That may have been due to his play, though I doubt it.

lilooet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 12:42 AM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-2 Schneider View Post
It's his first NHL game, he's 19, and he gets nitpicked.
Every single shift Latendresse plays in a Habs jersey (especially this year) will be nitpicked to the highest extent. He knows that.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 12:43 AM
Slick Nick

The best thing for Lats this year would have been to play in Sweden.. or in Russia or in the Czech republic. WORK ON HIS SKATING, since he's developped all of the other tools to be an impact player in the NHL. Now he's a snail on a 4th line... talk about killing a guy's self confidence.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 12:44 AM
zx81

Lats was ok but yes he was a bit slow and he has to work on his positionning in the defensive zone. He still created 2 turnovers in our favor and provoked an important penalty in the 3rd.

As for Perezhogin..he was good but he still makes the same damn mistakes over and over again. He's a good skater but it often leads to....absolutely nothing as he loses the puck when he tries to deke 3 players.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 12:47 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
Lats was ok but yes he was a bit slow and he has to work on his positionning in the defensive zone. He still created 2 turnovers in our favor and provoked an important penalty in the 3rd.

As for Perezhogin..he was good but he still makes the same damn mistakes over and over again. He's a good skater but it often leads to....absolutely nothing as he loses the puck when he tries to deke 3 players.
Zhogy forechecks like a pro, bckchecks, tries to play physical, tries to shoot the puck.. often results in not much, be he tries a lot... give him a few games.

Old
10-07-2006, 12:48 AM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:

Oh give me a break.

He was the best Hab tonight outside Huet and the top line. He battled for pucks, won alot of those battles, intercepted passes, hustled, forechecked, took the body, shot the puck when he had it in the slot. There is no way you can claim he was too fancy tonight or made stupid mistakes. A solid game for him. Controlled the puck well. Had he scored a goal everyone would be drooling about him right now.

Latendresse was exactly what I expected.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 12:48 AM
zx81

oh and I strongly believe that Gui is faster than he showed us tonight. I think he was a bit nervous and was afraid to make a mistake. He'll get better. No worry.

Old
10-07-2006, 12:52 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
oh and I strongly believe that Gui is faster than he showed us tonight. I think he was a bit nervous and was afraid to make a mistake. He'll get better. No worry.
No one worries about him getting better.. doesn't even need to. But damn he's so sloooooooooooow... Downey skates faster backwards.

Old
10-07-2006, 12:53 AM
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip Slidin' Slim View Post
Oh give me a break.

He was the best Hab tonight outside Huet and the top line. He battle for pucks, won alot of those battles, intercepted passes, hustled, forechecked, took the body, shot the puck when he had it in the slot. There is no way you can claim he was too fancy tonight or made stupid mistakes. A solid game for him. Controlled the puck well. Had he scored a goal everyone would be drooling about him right now.
I'm not criticizing his effort but like I said he may actually try to do too much. He's talented, no doubt about that.

Old
10-07-2006, 12:58 AM
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
No one worries about him getting better.. doesn't even need to. But damn he's so sloooooooooooow... Downey skates faster backwards.
I have seen him play before this game and like I said he's faster than what we saw tonight. So he'll get better and faster as he gains confidence Well I hope so anyway.

Old
10-07-2006, 01:03 AM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
I'm not criticizing his effort but like I said he may actually try to do too much. He's talented, no doubt about that.
I was referring to the "making the same damn mistakes over and over again"

Maybe I need to watch the game again but I didn't see him make any real mistakes tonight. He didn't produce any insane quality scoring chances but I felt he played very solid in every aspect and carried his line. Definitely deserves an extra 3 or 4 minutes tommorow night over what he got tonight.

Old
10-07-2006, 01:03 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
I have seen him play before this game and like I said he's faster than what we saw tonight. So he'll get better and faster as he gains confidence Well I hope so anyway.
I doubt confidence and skating are in anyway correlated. He needs to work reall hard on his skating.

Old
10-07-2006, 01:05 AM
Habsy

GL looked very lost out there at times. He will get better.

Habsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 01:07 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:

Maybe I need to watch the game again but I didn't see him make any real mistakes tonight. He didn't produce any insane quality scoring chances but I felt he played very solid in every aspect and carried his line. Definitely deserves an extra 3 or 4 minutes tommorow night over what he got tonight.
Didn't understand why Carbo did not play him in OT. He had a OT goal the game before.. plus he's so fast, 4 on 4 .. plenty of space.

as good as of a choice as Souray - Rivet in the last minute...

and Ryder in SO.

Old
10-07-2006, 01:09 AM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Didn't understand why Carbo did not play him in OT. He had a OT goal the game before.. plus he's so fast, 4 on 4 .. plenty of space.

as good as of a choice as Souray - Rivet in the last minute...

and Ryder in SO.
Yep Bonk over Perezhogin in OT was a miss-call.

Old
10-07-2006, 01:12 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I thought Lats played as good a first game as any 19-year old on the fourth line would. Nothing bad, nothing spectacular, and he worked hard. Fine by me.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 01:13 AM
zx81

Quote:
I doubt confidence and skating are in anyway correlated. He needs to work reall hard on his skating.
Well you could be surprised.
If a guy is scared to make a mistake he will have the tendency to avoid being out of position so he won't race for the puck and will rarely get any momentum. I don't know. We'll see in the next games.

Anyway we're not asking him to be as fast as Samsonov. He's here to play physical so I'm more worried about the fact he didn't try much hits in his shifts. But hey , like many other said in the GDT, the Sabres are darn hard to hit.

Old
10-07-2006, 01:21 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Well you could be surprised.
If a guy is scared to make a mistake he will have the tendency to avoid being out of position so he won't race for the puck and will rarely get any momentum. I don't know. We'll see in the next games.

Anyway we're not asking him to be as fast as Samsonov. He's here to play physical so I'm more worried about the fact he didn't try much hits in his shifts. But hey , like many other said in the GDT, the Sabres are darn hard to hit.
no, no, no... I'm talking about the 2 times he could have escaped and just couldn't. I'm not in anyway a Lats basher, but he's not NHL ready IMO.

Old
10-07-2006, 01:22 AM
FF de Mars

Quote:

I like Perez, I think he's a good player, but he has two flaws :

(1) He does not shot well enough and reminds me of Petrov. It's not that he doesn't have a good shot, he just doesn't place himself properly in the offencive zonde and doesn' shot enough, and when he shoots, he misses out of nervosity. On the other hand, he displays a great, but inconsistent stickhandling : he is sometimes able to deke the goalie or the defencemen, but he looses the puck most of the time.

(2) he looses the puck way more often than he should.

I hope he can overcome those two flaws, but until he overcomes these flaws, he will not be the player we expected him to be. And I donb't care about the boards, I don't care about the physical part of the game : as long as Perez dekes, doesn't give the puck to the opponent, shoots and passes well enough, we'll be ok. He's that type of player.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 01:31 AM
Evil Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Anybody have the impression that Downey will be in the lineup tomorrow while Lats would not be????
Its hard to say, I dont think Lats did anything to play himself out of the lineup just yet, I think tonights game took alot out of our guys so someone fresh comming it could be a good thing too.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 01:46 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
I have seen Latendresse play many times before and he has always appeared to be extremely slow. This is the reason that his stock fell so low on draft day. People thought that his skating would improve year by year in junior and that never really materialized.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 02:08 AM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
I have seen Latendresse play many times before and he has always appeared to be extremely slow. This is the reason that his stock fell so low on draft day. People thought that his skating would improve year by year in junior and that never really materialized.
Your right, but even if he's slow, he can play a Ryder type of game, which means to wait until his team is deep inside, not hold the puck for too long and shoot accuratly when the playmaker passes you the puck. He doesn't have to be a playmaker, he only has to be to the right spot at the right time and push people around in front of the net. And, according to all the hype, Lats does have a good shot, so he can logically play a Ryder role. But, Latendresse also has size and grit, which means he can play in front of the net and wait for shots, deflections passes and rebouns. Because he is lost on ice, he doesn't play with any real playmakers. I guess he'll learn the defencive aspect of the game this year, that he will have the opportunity to play on the top six next year. Basically, is is getting grounded in the NHL until he learns where to go on the ice to get opasses that can result in goals and how to play in the defencive zone. We should give him one year or two before he blossoms, if he does.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 02:16 AM
BigM1ke

I have no clue if someone talked about this before, but am I the only one to blame Latendresse for the Sabres' first goal? He was standing in front of the net and watching the player with the puck behind the goalie instead of watching his player right next to him, who scored easily when he received the puck few moments after.

They didn't say a word about it on RDS, blaming some other player. I guess they are already "protecting" Latendresse this year! I have nothing against Latendresse, but I just think he could have easily avoided the first goal by Buffalo on this sequence.

BigM1ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 06:12 AM
Kirk Muller*

As 30 other people have already mentioned, he looked a bit slow and seemed to float instead of going after the puck. I'm not worried about him though.

Kirk Muller* is offline   Reply With Quote