HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Snider "I didn't pick Bryz"

Old
05-22-2013, 08:36 PM
achdumeingute

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
Add Sharp to that list.
Sharp was dealt as a favor to him, since he was big time blocked here. It blows that he turned out to be very good, but there is a reason they don't have robot GMs, sometimes there is a human element needed.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 08:38 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
The Bryzgalov hole was entirely avoidable because there was a perfectly valid and preferable alternative available.
Vokoun?

I find it hard to argue with Bryz as a player at the time, however the contract was always awful.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 10:01 PM
hockeyphan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
Snider definitely isn't perfect but I wouldn't say he is holding this team back from winning. What "mentality" are people talking about? This current team isn't exactly all rough and tumble like the past. He hasn't won since '75 but he has been to six finals since then. They happened to play the two greatest teams of all time in the 80's, not much you can do about that. I'd understand all the complaining if this team was missing the playoffs year in and year out but they're not. We have been spoiled with the fact that we have a contending team almost every year. It is just really hard to win a Stanley Cup.
exactly, and this has been a fun team to be a fan of. i'll take snider and what he's given us anyday.

hockeyphan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 12:00 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyphan25 View Post
exactly, and this has been a fun team to be a fan of. i'll take snider and what he's given us anyday.
It sure hasn't been boring. Controversial and frustrating, sure, but definitely not boring.

05-25-2013, 12:29 AM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
And that is the fallacy. We could have done things 180 degrees different, and still not ultimately won.

There is NO guaranteed way to accomplish the end goal.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
Snider definitely isn't perfect but I wouldn't say he is holding this team back from winning. What "mentality" are people talking about? This current team isn't exactly all rough and tumble like the past. He hasn't won since '75 but he has been to six finals since then. They happened to play the two greatest teams of all time in the 80's, not much you can do about that. I'd understand all the complaining if this team was missing the playoffs year in and year out but they're not. We have been spoiled with the fact that we have a contending team almost every year. It is just really hard to win a Stanley Cup.
And this.

I think the fact that the Flyers have gone to the finals several times since winning their two Cups is proof they (and Snider) were doing some things right along the way. The fact that they didn't break through and win in the finals, sucks but, you know, if a few things go their way in some of those series (not against Detroit, or Edmonton Part I), and they very well could have done it one of those times...they were close enough to prove they were true contenders and had few chances for the Cup. Most other teams have not had that kind of "success" to enjoy and several teams have endured very long strings of non-playoff seasons. The Islanders haven't won a playoff series in 20 years, 16 years for the Panthers...9 for the Laffs. The Laffs haven't made it to the finals in 44 seasons, the Blues 41, the Yotes, never, the Islanders not in 27 seasons, etc.

The Flyers have stayed competitive and had several teams contend for a Cup, in part, due to Ed Snider and his motivation and dedication to the team and the organization he built. People on this thread are saying that this team can't be built into a winner until Ed retires/dies. I say, Ed Snider's teams have won a lot...a couple of Stanley Cups, several Conference Championships...so, be careful what you wish for.

Last edited by fauxflex: 05-25-2013 at 12:37 AM.
fauxflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 12:40 AM
LegionOfDoom91

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 03:46 AM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post
The Flyers have stayed competitive and had several teams contend for a Cup, in part, due to Ed Snider and his motivation and dedication to the team and the organization he built. People on this thread are saying that this team can't be built into a winner until Ed retires/dies. I say, Ed Snider's teams have won a lot...a couple of Stanley Cups, several Conference Championships...so, be careful what you wish for.
Agreed, I can't believe some of the comments in this thread! As a fan that was there at the very beginning of this franchise I respect Mr. Snider and what he has done for the city!

OzFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2013, 06:37 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It sure hasn't been boring. Controversial and frustrating, sure, but definitely not boring.
You could say the same thing about Harold Ballard and Bill Wirtz. Sometimes boring isn't such a bad thing! I hated what Ballard did to the Leafs which is how I became a Flyer fan, plus he treated the fans like crap since he knew the seats would be full. Wirtz just about destroyed hockey in Chicago and they only bounced back when he died.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 09:47 AM
DecadesofFutility

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post

I think the fact that the Flyers have gone to the finals several times since winning their two Cups is proof they (and Snider) were doing some things right along the way. The fact that they didn't break through and win in the finals, sucks but, you know, if a few things go their way in some of those series (not against Detroit, or Edmonton Part I), and they very well could have done it one of those times...they were close enough to prove they were true contenders and had few chances for the Cup. Most other teams have not had that kind of "success" to enjoy and several teams have endured very long strings of non-playoff seasons. The Islanders haven't won a playoff series in 20 years, 16 years for the Panthers...9 for the Laffs. The Laffs haven't made it to the finals in 44 seasons, the Blues 41, the Yotes, never, the Islanders not in 27 seasons, etc.

Sorry, must disagree.
Just getting to the playoffs is not enough.
Its CUP or BUST!!!

35 years - no cups ???
Buying up the best FA available.
With spending to cap every year.
Unacceptable to have that long a drought.

Front Office does just enough to compete for playoffs.
They need a change in mindset to be successful.
Front Office needs overhaul like the defense corp.

DecadesofFutility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzFlyer View Post
Agreed, I can't believe some of the comments in this thread! As a fan that was there at the very beginning of this franchise I respect Mr. Snider and what he has done for the city!
He deserves credit for putting Philly hockey on the map but for the last 20 years it isn't like he's the reason we've been spending to the cap (or having one of the highest payrolls prior to the lockout.) Philly is just a big city and will pay a premium for hockey. It's not like he's risking his own money these days on something that might not be a sure bet.

He's a desperate old man right now and that desperation has been feeding kneejerk reaction after kneejerk reaction since 2005. He and Homer are like parasitic twins feeding from a common trough of sadness.

Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 04:56 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
Add Sharp to that list.
no one could have seen that late of a development in Sharp, he never showed he had it in him in the NCAA or AHL

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 08:18 PM
MP92
BOLIEVE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadesofFutility View Post
Sorry, must disagree.
Its CUP or BUST!!!

35 years - no cups ???

There have been and still are teams that have had a longer drought than us. You need some luck to win the Cup. Look at some of the teams the Flyers had to face in the finals. Yzerman's Red Wings, Bossy's Isles, Gretzky's Oilers. Winning championships aren't easy. Spending money and drafting well will raise your chances, but ultimately there is a lot of luck involved as well.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 08:52 PM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecadesofFutility View Post
Sorry, must disagree.
Its CUP or BUST!!!

35 years - no cups ???

I think it is impossible for a GM to put together a team that is absolutely guaranteed to win the Stanely Cup. They can try, but there are so many variables...injuries, goalies getting hot or cold, matchups etc. Every year there are favorites who, on paper, look like the team to beat, but usually some other team ends up winning the Cup in the end. The best a GM can do is put together a team that is good enough to make the playoffs and have a chance to contend for the Cup. The Flyers make it into to playoffs more often than most other teams in the league and have been to the Stanley Cup Finals several times since winning the Cup. This more than most other teams in the league have done. I'm not going to blame the front office that built those SCF teams for the team not ultimately winning the series due to things like unforeseen injuries to key defensemen, or playing against Gretzky, Messier and Coffey and co. The loss against Chicago hurt, but that was an incredible comeback against Boston and the team pushed the Hawks all the way to game 6 of the SCF. Alot of teams would have like to have made it that far in any given year. I'm not saying the team doesn't need to win a Cup, but I am saying the front office has done a fairly good job over the past 40 years of fielding teams that gave them a chance to do it...their mindset has always been, try to win the Cup...it has resulted in a lot of very good teams, two that won it all and several that came pretty close. I'm ok with that.

fauxflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 10:14 PM
poneill27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
no one could have seen that late of a development in Sharp, he never showed he had it in him in the NCAA or AHL
I'm so sick of people saying this! I used to go to Phantoms games all the time and anyone with eyeballs who used to watch him play could see he was going to be at least a good NHL player. I was pissed when they traded him and his trade had more to do with Hitch NOT his lack of talent.

poneill27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 10:50 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Sharp was pretty decent in his time here. I don't think I would have imagined him turning out to what he is now but that was more on Hitch than management. When you hate young players and run them out of town eventually one of them is going to come back and bite you in the ***.

Old
06-01-2013, 11:00 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Sharp was pretty decent in his time here. I don't think I would have imagined him turning out to what he is now but that was more on Hitch than management. When you hate young players and run them out of town eventually one of them is going to come back and bite you in the ***.
Sharp had a chip on his shoulder, as did Umberger, because they brought in Carter and Richards and played them at C ahead of them on the Phantoms. Then with the Flyers, Sharp was a problem because he didn't want to play RW. They traded him to get him the heck out of the room because he was a pain in the butt.

It's not so bad trading a young guy with promise, but they didn't get anything for him, that is the problem.

Last edited by Larry44: 06-01-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Rolex

Check Sharp's pre draft stats, they aren't great but far from bad. He did ok at Thunder Bay in the USHL and in college.

Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 05:46 PM
caley

per Bob McKenzie
Quote:
It's not carved in stone, but in spite of what has been said in past, I expect PHI is likely to use compliance buyout on Ilya Bryzgalov.

06-08-2013, 06:52 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
per Bob McKenzie
better be right Bob, or it's to the Wall with you

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2013, 10:46 PM
Ewan McGregor

vCash: 622
buyout is necessary at this point

Ewan McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 12:46 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan McGregor View Post
buyout is necessary at this point
If that happens, how much in dollars? Snider has deep pockets, but Holmgren must be on a short leash if that happens...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 01:01 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
If that happens, how much in dollars? Snider has deep pockets, but Holmgren must be on a short leash if that happens...
http://capgeek.com/buyout-calculator...06&buyout_d=15

Snider has nobody but himself to blame for the Bryz disaster. He was the one thumping his chest when he orginally signed Bryz to turn around and blame it on Homer this spring. Snider just wants everyone to believe he had nothing to do with it but deep he knows he F'd up.

Homer's seat might be a little warm but Snider's more of the problem than him.

Old
06-09-2013, 01:18 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
http://capgeek.com/buyout-calculator...06&buyout_d=15

Snider has nobody but himself to blame for the Bryz disaster. He was the one thumping his chest when he orginally signed Bryz to turn around and blame it on Homer this spring. Snider just wants everyone to believe he had nothing to do with it but deep he knows he F'd up.

Homer's seat might be a little warm but Snider's more of the problem than him.
Man, that's a pile of dough...if Snider is the problem, I guess there is no way to fix that...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2013, 01:28 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Man, that's a pile of dough...if Snider is the problem, I guess there is no way to fix that...
Unfortunately not until he passes away (as messed up as it sounds). He's more of the reason why it may seem like Homer's impatient to outsider's. Snider wants a cup before he goes and will do anything to get it (even if unknowingly hurts the team). It's very Jerry Jones like.

Overall he was a great owner and done a lot for this city but he's slipping now and running this team like a fantasy team.

Old
07-01-2013, 11:44 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Snider: Bryzgalov signing 'a mistake'

Duh...

http://www.csnphilly.com/video_conte...igning-mistake

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote