HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anze Kopitar vs Carey Price

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-07-2006, 01:15 AM
  #76
Clumsyhab
Registered User
 
Clumsyhab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 6,809
vCash: 500
Kopitar played 22 minutes tonight, the most for Kings forwards, had 7 shots and played shorthanded. This guy will be Calder candidate if you ask me. I wouldn't say he's gonna be better than Price, but if I could choose right now, I'd take him over Price.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 01:30 AM
  #77
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,265
vCash: 500
I can't believe some hab fans would be delisional enough to pick Price over Kopitar. Come on, if you had the choice, who would you choose? For God's sake, Kopitar would have been playing on our second line tonight, with Kovalev and Samsonov. The scouts made a bad pick, that's all, it happenbs all the time. Kopitar is the next Mats Sundin, while Price is the next Dipietro. I'd rather have Sundin than Dipietro, if they have the same age.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 01:33 AM
  #78
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
I can't believe some hab fans would be delisional enough to pick Price over Kopitar. Come on, if you had the choice, who would you choose? For God's sake, Kopitar would have been playing on our second line tonight, with Kovalev and Samsonov. The scouts made a bad pick, that's all, it happenbs all the time. Kopitar is the next Mats Sundin, while Price is the next Dipietro. I'd rather have Sundin than Dipietro, if they have the same age.
And Brulé would have been on our second line or Bourdon would have played instead of that chicken-head Niiiiiniiiiima. You just don't pick a goaltender in the top five unless he has Lethonen's type of skills, which Price doesn't have.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 02:43 AM
  #79
yannick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: st-hubert
Posts: 155
vCash: 500
kopitar had 2 goals tonight

yannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 03:02 AM
  #80
FF de Mars
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 42 rue Fontaine
Country: Martinique
Posts: 6,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yannick View Post
kopitar had 2 goals tonight

Exactly, and he would have had two goals between Kovalev and Samsonov, and we would have won the game 2nite.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 06:53 AM
  #81
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos
 
King'sPawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 8,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
But Price with 16:00 minute remaining in the 3rd, stopped 19 shots out of 20, his team lead 2 to 1. How does this compare???

It's definately not the greatest day to talk about that comparison, seems like Kopitar is playing really great.....

I guess we could go in the NHL thread and instead of those stupid Price VS Brule, somebody should start a Kopitar VS Brule.......
Kopitar scored more goals in one night than Price will probably score in his lifetime!

Seriously, though... I thought that the Price pick was a bad one at the time. But, it's really way to early to say either way which player will be better. And as said before, why can't both Kopitar and Price have solid careers?

If the scouts are right in their assessment/projection of Price, then he will be an awesome pick... and a franchise goalie DOES go a long way. Here's hoping for the best for you

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 07:29 AM
  #82
orcatown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,712
vCash: 500
Look anyone who passed on Kopitar, with the exception of Pittsburg, and took anyone else - including the Canucks taking Bourdon- missed the boat. Only one who is going to challenge Kopitar this year for top rookie is Malkin. Imagine how Burke feels about taking Ryan.

Montreal sure the heck should have taken Brule over Price. I've watched both of them plenty in the WHL and it's Brule hands down.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 08:12 AM
  #83
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Look anyone who passed on Kopitar, with the exception of Pittsburg, and took anyone else - including the Canucks taking Bourdon- missed the boat. Only one who is going to challenge Kopitar this year for top rookie is Malkin. Imagine how Burke feels about taking Ryan.

Montreal sure the heck should have taken Brule over Price. I've watched both of them plenty in the WHL and it's Brule hands down.
Kopitar was ranked with Brule, Ryan, Pouliot in much of our pre-draft hand-wringing debates around here. That is, after we knew we'd be picking #5... before the format was known, we actually did branch out a lot more, and there was of course support for the usual suspects like Bourdon, Latendresse, Bourret, Staal, which in perhaps a very few isolated cases continued after knowing that we had #5, but was by-and-large forgotten about.

I'd say that Brule and Kopitar were the top two choices from here going in. But as the draft showed, a lot of NHL teams picked up on the worry about Kopitar's background, considered him a risky choice. I don't know if too many teams will kick themselves too hard if he turns out to have been the best of the bunch, just because there is a bit of security in numbers, and a handful of teams are in the same boat in passing over him, despite his high ranking. As long as the player picked instead of Kopitar isn't an outright bust, nobody will get too seriously worked up about it... also in part because the draft format excuse is always there to fall back on too... I mean, hey, we never could have expected or deserved to get a #5 pick anyway, right, so if we don't end up with the absolute best player we could have, but just get a good one, it's still a bonus.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 09:09 AM
  #84
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Kopitar was ranked with Brule, Ryan, Pouliot in much of our pre-draft hand-wringing debates around here. That is, after we knew we'd be picking #5... before the format was known, we actually did branch out a lot more, and there was of course support for the usual suspects like Bourdon, Latendresse, Bourret, Staal, which in perhaps a very few isolated cases continued after knowing that we had #5, but was by-and-large forgotten about.

I'd say that Brule and Kopitar were the top two choices from here going in. But as the draft showed, a lot of NHL teams picked up on the worry about Kopitar's background, considered him a risky choice. I don't know if too many teams will kick themselves too hard if he turns out to have been the best of the bunch, just because there is a bit of security in numbers, and a handful of teams are in the same boat in passing over him, despite his high ranking. As long as the player picked instead of Kopitar isn't an outright bust, nobody will get too seriously worked up about it... also in part because the draft format excuse is always there to fall back on too... I mean, hey, we never could have expected or deserved to get a #5 pick anyway, right, so if we don't end up with the absolute best player we could have, but just get a good one, it's still a bonus.
Or it could analysed that way: Kopitar wasn't taken 'cause of......Kostitsyn. The Habs decided to go for a risky pick in 2003, decided not take that route again in 2005. The only way it was risky for Kopitar is the lack of opposition he played against......But Timmins didn't think about that fact when he chose Fischer though. I know Timmins now is racking foot speed ahead of a lot of things, he did tell me at the Dev. Camp that one of the reason Giroux wasn't picked is because of that reason. Kopitar, at the time, was also known with not the greatest of foot speed.....Timmins might change his mind of that topic......

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 10:33 AM
  #85
The_Eck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,034
vCash: 500
It's funny how people are defending gainey's mistake in selecting Price. It seems like many are giving bob a free pass for some reason.

The_Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 11:24 AM
  #86
Weis
Rise Together
 
Weis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Prairie, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Eck View Post
It's funny how people are defending gainey's mistake in selecting Price. It seems like many are giving bob a free pass for some reason.
I dont think people are defending Gainey. Kopitar is a hell of a player, but he was a high risk player and when you have a top 5 pick you want to be sure to have a good player in the long term. Im happy with this pick because there was some talk about Benoit pouliot and Brule. Out of those 3 I think Price is the best candidate to be an all-star player. Brule will be good but he's not what we need.

Anyway we cant compare those player at the moment since they arent playing in the NHL.

Weis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 11:27 AM
  #87
gars59
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Trois-Rivières
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Kopitar played 22 minutes tonight, the most for Kings forwards, had 7 shots and played shorthanded. This guy will be Calder candidate if you ask me. I wouldn't say he's gonna be better than Price, but if I could choose right now, I'd take him over Price.
and before brule


gars59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 11:34 AM
  #88
The_Eck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis View Post
I dont think people are defending Gainey. Kopitar is a hell of a player, but he was a high risk player and when you have a top 5 pick you want to be sure to have a good player in the long term. Im happy with this pick because there was some talk about Benoit pouliot and Brule. Out of those 3 I think Price is the best candidate to be an all-star player. Brule will be good but he's not what we need.

Anyway we cant compare those player at the moment since they arent playing in the NHL.
Hmmmmm....goaltending was the least of the habs problems.

Brule is not what you need?? A gritty quick player with explosive speed who is absolutely fearless a la koivu?? Hmmmm, it seems like toughness was a large part of the habs problems over these part several years....

The_Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 12:28 PM
  #89
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Eck View Post
Hmmmmm....goaltending was the least of the habs problems.
Where will Huet be in 7 years? You seem to know everything.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 01:43 PM
  #90
gars59
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Trois-Rivières
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladesofSteel View Post
Where will Huet be in 7 years? You seem to know everything.

but huet is a star

gars59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 01:58 PM
  #91
Blades 0f Steel
Registered User
 
Blades 0f Steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Tibet
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gars59 View Post
but huet is a star
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 02:49 PM
  #92
Genghis Keon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Eck View Post
It's funny how people are defending gainey's mistake in selecting Price. It seems like many are giving bob a free pass for some reason.
How can you call anything a mistake after one year? Price was phenomenal at last year's rookie tournament (at least from what I saw), was great during exhibition games last year (especially as a freshly turned 18 goalie), and by all accounts was the best goalie in camp this year. Physically, he's got all the tools you want (great size and great athleticism), he's got a relatively refined technique and seems to be eager to improve, and by all accounts he's cool and calm under pressure. Statistically he didn't play great last year in Junior, but he was on a bad team and was one of the few or only goalies who opted to wear NHL sized pads. How has he possibly proved to be a mistake?

Kopitar looks to be a great prospect, one of the best in the NHL, and played extremely well in his NHL debut, but just because Kopitar is a great pospect doesn't automatically take anything away from Price, especially just one year removed from their draft year. You wouldn't want a "Are Kopitarites eating your humble pie?" surfacing over the next few years with you as the butt of the joke, would you? Even if Kopitar is a great prospect, don't be too quick to jump the gun. Price still might prove to be better, and even if he's never better, he still might become a fantastic #1 goalie.

Genghis Keon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 06:06 PM
  #93
RightKinger
Registered User
 
RightKinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,591
vCash: 500
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x81uXfQCWZA

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 07:06 PM
  #94
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Eck View Post
Hmmmmm....goaltending was the least of the habs problems.

Brule is not what you need?? A gritty quick player with explosive speed who is absolutely fearless a la koivu?? Hmmmm, it seems like toughness was a large part of the habs problems over these part several years....
What about you going to the Wild board asking why Pouliot why??? Or why don't you go to the Ducks board and say why Ryan why???? Did Columbus made a stupid mistake by taking Brule since Kopitar had a 2 goal game last night and was really impressive while Brule is finding his game on the 4th and could be injured easily??? Why don't you ask all the other teams between us and LA to ask them if they made a mistake????? Why is it the Habs that made a mistake. Just because it was surprising at the time that Price was selected so fast. Did you say the same when Philly took Carter when this guy was suppose to go around 25-30 by all the experts??? Didn't you learn from the experience??? Why don't you go on the Sens board ask for why Lee was picked on the 9th spot, was he suppose to go that early.....

OK I'm feeling better.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 12:28 AM
  #95
Fanfrombc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 15
vCash: 500
I can understand why some Hab fans would want Kopitar to be with the Canadiens. Going into the draft, I wanted the Canadiens to draft him or Brule, but timmins went for Price. The same thing happened in 2003 when I would have liked the Canadiens to draft Carter based on what the scouting report was on him. Instead, they selected Kostitsyn. From where we are sitting today, I think Brule, Kopitar, and Carter look better. However, It is way too early to think that Price will not realize his potential. Any player could have a bad year and then bounce back. Look at Raycroft, he seems to be having a good year now after the horrendous year he had last year. Or if you look at players from the past, Yagr also jumps to mind. He struggled for a couple of seasons and then had a great one last year. YOu can go on and on with examples from the NHL. I urge you guys to be patient. Sometimes prospects are allowed an off year and this could be due to injury, personal problems, playing on a horrendous team............ Let us give Price a year or two and then jude whether or not he will be a good or a great player.

I am not saying that I would not rather have Kopitar or Carter on our team, but if for some reason Price and Kostitsyn do not pan out, our scouts are allowed to make mistakes. They have also made some great selections like Higgins, Chip, and.........Latendresse. So, be patient and hopefully they can prove us wrong.

Fanfrombc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 01:00 AM
  #96
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,746
vCash: 500
Did Price make a bad impression in the preseason? Of course not. There's no rational reason to put him down but some of the complainers seem to think his real name is Urquhart.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 02:01 AM
  #97
The_Eck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,034
vCash: 500
Another 3 assists for kopitar. The Price pick is looking better and better for the habs.

The_Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 07:17 AM
  #98
Habsent
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
I would have preferred Kopitar myself over Price, mainly because 1) the new CBA, goalies can become very good at 23 or 24 and elite at 25-26 and then they become free agents at 27-28... so you squeeze 3 good years at a decent salary and then it's bye bye or a huge salary... 2) evaluating goalies at the age of 17 or 18 is even more of a crap shoot than evaluation forwards and Ds. You know that a goalie selected in the second or third round has as more chance of winning the Vezina than a goalie selected in the first round...

This story is not over however, Price might become the next Luongo, or Halak might be the next Vokoun, allowing the Habs to trade Price for a high first round pick, etc. Too early to feel depressed about this... But there should be a rule within the organization... Never pick a goalie in the first round...

Habsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 09:05 AM
  #99
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
My picks at that time were:

1-Kopitar (Perfect mix of skill, size and needs)
2-Brulé (Pure skill, was scared of his size...)
3-Staal (all-around better d-men of that draft, after Johnson of course...)

(Didn't even think about a goalie at that time, and wasn't in love with Bourdon so much, didn't see how he could have a offensive game in the Pro levels)

So Yes, I still think Kopitar might have been the best bet, still think we could pick goalie in the 2nd and 3rd round that will evidently become better than 1st rounders, but not in 2005 'cause the only goalie susceptible to become a great one is Pavelec but was picked before the Lats pick. Even there, I would've pick Lats even if Pavelec was available, knowing that I would try to use my 2nd or 3rd rounder in 2006.

As a matter of fact, I would've use one of our 2 second rounders to pick Steve Mason if we would not have picked Price a year before. I have tons of confidence that this kid will be a steal.

Having said that, I'm happy with Price, thrilled with Lats, and surprised by Maxwell and Carle. We still could've used White's pick for Mason's, not convince about White even though most are calling this a steal. We'll see.
Good call on Steve Mason. Columbus got a steal there, but that would be because of their connections with the London Knights (scout is a former coach). Good sized kid, very cool under pressure. Stepped up last year out of the blue, played some tough teams and had a 931 save %. Very solid. He is playing behind a young D right now but is holding the fort. People will hear more about this kid.

I was surprised that the Habs passed over Brule actually. But I am starting to see why the Habs took Price. He will be a good pro goalie.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2006, 09:21 AM
  #100
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Exactly, and he would have had two goals between Kovalev and Samsonov, and we would have won the game 2nite.
Wow. You have a talent there!

What restaurant would he have eaten dinner at after tonite's game for the Habs?

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.