HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What did U Guys Think Of Sammy?

Old
10-07-2006, 10:38 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

vCash: 500
What did U Guys Think Of Sammy?

Interested in what your fist impressions of Samsonov were? Also, you guys are as bad as Bruins fans (in a good way-passionate) One game in and a lot of B's fans have the gun in their mouth already...

IMO, Sammy will frustrate the heck out of you...flashes of brilliance mixed with periods where he disappears entirely.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 10:40 AM
GoodKiwi

Well, I thought he was our worst forward last night if that counts for anything.

It's too bad Alaska does not want to start an NHL team, because right now I'd ship Samsonov there without any hesitations.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 10:40 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Samsonov played?

ChemiseBleuHonnete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 10:41 AM
The Saurus

He is the turn over machine. If he is put with the best centre on the team (Koivu) he has the potential to have a great year.

I don't think he's worth his salary though..

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Mike8

Most fans seem to think Samsonov had a poor first outing.

Me, I liked him. He competed in all three zones. I thought he let his size dictate how good he was in his own zone (in other words, despite the effort being there, he played small in the defensive zone), but he had real good effort in transition defense .. it was mainly off the cycle that he had issues, and he was manhandled along the boards defensively.

Offensively, he had and helped set up some good chances, but I think Plekanec and Kovalev had stronger games than he did. That said, I think he'll be a good asset to the Canadiens long-term.

I still believe Samsonov's one of those fickle skilled players that does his best when playing with two complementary players; where he can be more of a puckhog. So I'd like to see him on the third line with Bonk and either Perezhogin or Johnson.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 11:01 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Interested in what your fist impressions of Samsonov were? Also, you guys are as bad as Bruins fans (in a good way-passionate) One game in and a lot of B's fans have the gun in their mouth already...

IMO, Sammy will frustrate the heck out of you...flashes of brilliance mixed with periods where he disappears entirely.
I didnt see much from Pleks or Sammy. Sammy was a giveaway machine

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Weis
Rise Together

He didnt play his best game but I liked some of his play. I remember one time on the PP he was mostly alone while there was a line change and he managed to deke around and keep the puck. I like how he protect the puck and his speed. He have the skill but he need to gel with his line and shoot more.

Weis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 11:17 AM
baldrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post

My first impression; why did Gainey get him? Apparently he's supposed to be an offensesive threat, someone please tell him you have to shoot the puck to score a goal.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 11:23 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
My first impression; why did Gainey get him? Apparently he's supposed to be an offensesive threat, someone please tell him you have to shoot the puck to score a goal.
IMO, what has happened is that defenses have figured out to lay off him because he shoots so rarely. Earlier in his career he was effective because the D had to respect his shot and he would dish off when they attacked.

I agree with you that if he shot more he would be A LOT more effective...easier said than done, B's fans said the same thing for years...

Old
10-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

As someone mentionned earlier, he has to gel with his line to be more effective... cause while I -really- like his speed and puckhandling, he was seemingly lost out there, spinning and turning around like a lone waterbug

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 11:30 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiram View Post
As someone mentionned earlier, he has to gel with his line to be more effective... cause while I -really- like his speed and puckhandling, he was seemingly lost out there, spinning and turning around like a lone waterbug
Not trying to be nasty...but that was the way he was in Boston, after he had 7 years to "gel" with teammates

Old
10-07-2006, 11:35 AM
Pascal

He did a lot of skating around and dekes, but it didn't amount to anything.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 11:39 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
I thought he wasn't bad. The play that stands out for me was the time he circled around centre ice and made a perfect breakaway tape-to-tape pass to Plekanec, who just missed. Fantastic play, not many players could make that one.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 12:01 PM
Ludo

I can't believe you guys say you didn't notice samsonov last night.
I was very impressed by his speed....wow....makes Higgins seem like a turtle. His play in the O-zone allowed for a few close goals last night. Can't wait to see more.

Niinima on the other hand....

Ludo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 12:01 PM
CaptCrunch

I still don't know why we went ahead to get him.

He actually showed a bit of hustle on the backcheck (went to pick up some pucks) but I'm very pessimistic on his fit on our 2nd line.

I wasn't impressed with his play in the edmonton playoffs and I'm very wary about his fit with the team. I'm waiting for the worst so I can only be positively impressed if he actually becomes usefull.

Right now he looks line a Petrov clone.

I'll give him 10 games before making a fixed opinion though, like all our new guys.

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 01:54 PM
jcpenny

We clearly have the harshes fans in the league. To say that our second line was awful is just being plain ignorant. Kovy and Plekanec had two clear cut one on one chances with miller Sammy created a lot off rushes also. Guys, its one game take it easy! A lot of people here are starting to piss me off...The comments on Niniimaa are also too harsh...

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 01:56 PM
Mackee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
We clearly have the harshes fans in the league.
I take it you haven't been here long?

Mackee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 02:04 PM
Toro

he's been here longer than you

Samsonov did not impress me much in his first game. But he was crafty out there. Sure he made some turn overs, but i want to watch him on the second line for a while. At least a couple games to let him get used to the sweater. Then we will see.

Toro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 02:23 PM
tinyzombies

They had a couple of great shifts early in the game, but that line is not good enough defensively...so far.

It was Carbo's fault for putting them out there at the end of the game. I don't think he'll do that again...lol

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 02:24 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I thought he played well, but tried to do too much with the puck. I haven't checked the stats, but I wouldn't be surprised if he registered no shots on goal. He needs to just let it rip more often instead of looking for his linemates or trying to stickhandle through as many people possible.

I was pleasantly surprised with his backcheck though, he showed a lot of hustle trying to get back in his zone.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Didn't see the game but listened to it and it sounded like he was making some dangerous offensive plays, which is what his game is about. But one thing to remember is Gainey said publicly that management was not going to judge Samsonov early in his career with Montreal. He was going to be given plenty of time to fit in with the team and his linemates and only then (around January) would they have a solid idea of his worth to this team.

I can understand people being upset at the loss last night, I'm disappointed, but you have to think of a hockey team playing their first game as a work in progress. Its kinda similar to having a race car, you get it before the season, get it looking right and do all you can to it off the track. But that is not a true representation of the car. You need to take it to a track, test it, tune it. That takes a little time. Its said a mark of a great racing car is one which is quick from the moment it first hits the track. Last night, our team stepped onto the ice for the first time (forget preseason) with a number of question marks concerning them. Goaltending, new players, kids with higher expectations, regulars coming back from injury. We were on the road, first game, against one of the best teams in the league. We didn't win, but we gave them a hell of a scare. We pushed them all the way and forced them to pull a result out of the hat. We had the measure of them in our first game and as long as the coaches can tune the team a little, I think we are in great shape for the season.

Also, when Saku came back from cancer, his first season back was his best stats-wise. Anyone think that him coming back from a serious health issue is a good source of motivation for him to really produce? Its looking good so far. I hope he keeps the pressure up.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Declassified

vCash: 1150
Sammy sammy sammy. I remember in the playoffs, guy disappears does nothing all game, dont see him, hear from him at all and he ends the game with 2 points.

he'll have games were you will not even here his name called and he does jack sqaut. and he'll have games when he cant do anything wrong.

Declassified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 02:59 PM
habs86

vCash: 165
Send a message via MSN to habs86 Send a message via Yahoo to habs86
Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
Samsonov played?

Carter

habs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 03:05 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCrunch View Post
I still don't know why we went ahead to get him.
Because Gainey wanted to cool down the fans and the medias , that were all sure that we absolutly needed a free agent .I don't see anything else to justified the signing of this smurf .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 03:05 PM
tritone

Looked a little lost. I don't see any reason to panic about it yet though.

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote