HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL III

Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2013, 10:10 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
So we're stooping to the level of calling a guy with a history of concussions "headache boy" now? Nice
you act like he reads our boards and will be offended...

great players get given all kinds of offensive and derisive nicknames by people who dont like them.

Lindros was frequently referred to as "mush head" or something along those lines much of his career after his concussions

I think "glass ballerina" would be a better name for Crosby but "headache boy" does have a ring to it...

Old
06-01-2013, 10:21 AM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
you act like he reads our boards and will be offended...

great players get given all kinds of offensive and derisive nicknames by people who dont like them.

Lindros was frequently referred to as "mush head" or something along those lines much of his career after his concussions

I think "glass ballerina" would be a better name for Crosby but "headache boy" does have a ring to it...
Sorry but making fun of someone's injuries isn't cool. You want to talk about his on ice play and come up with nicknames that's fine. You want to make fun of comments he's made to the media or via tweets, go right ahead. To trash a guy who's gotten hit in the head a few too many times and is possibly one shot away from his career being over is another thing altogether. It would be like calling Karlsson gimpy after his injury this year.

It's funny because we have a guy that could be one or two hits away from serious problems in Weber as he's suffered a few concussions himself. Would we like it if someone came along and started ripping on him and calling him the $100 million+ mush head or headache boy? Sorry but I think that's low and remember, these guys are people who have played this sport since they were kids to play in this league. Imagine after you went to med school and a few years after you were practicing, someone told you you couldn't do it and on top of it, gave you a dumb nickname?

I get it, it's sports and we don't like certain guys. Leave it to their on ice performance and not the injuries to come up with nicknames.

Old
06-01-2013, 11:14 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I'm not acting like that at all. I just think it's uncalled for, but you're free to disagree. In my opinion making light of serious brain injuries isn't just part of being a sports fan.

06-01-2013, 11:52 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
I do disagree. you guys take this wayyyy to seriously. you getting hurt feelings on behalf of a multimillionaire superstar... whatever...

but this is going off topic, so I will just add that as much as I dislike Crosby, if the glass ballerina gets a Cup for Vokoun, I'm all for it

Go Pens!

Old
06-01-2013, 11:56 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I do disagree. you guys take this wayyyy to seriously. you getting hurt feelings on behalf of a multimillionaire superstar... whatever...

but this is going off topic, so I will just add that as much as I dislike Crosby, if the glass ballerina gets a Cup for Vokoun, I'm all for it

Go Pens!
Sorry and it's ok that we disagree. What else is new. I remember when Saku Koivu was coming to play here after battling cancer and people were like, he's the enemy, he gets boo'd. I'm sorry but that hit a nerve with me being a cancer survivor. Being a fan and making fun of players is part of the game. Making fun of them because of their medical history is totally different and uncalled for. You have your opinion on the matter and I have mine. That's the beauty of life.

Old
06-01-2013, 12:29 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

It's not going off topic. We're discussing an NHL player and his injury history.

And I don't feel as though taking issue with a nicknamed making fun of a serious injury is taking it "wayyyy to [sic] seriously."

There's nothing wrong with disliking a player. There's nothing wrong with rooting against a team for any reason at all, since all reasons to root for or against a sports team are, in the end, arbitrary anyway. There is something wrong with laughing at and mocking concussions as far as I'm concerned, just like there is something wrong with wishing for a player to get hurt or cheering when they do get hurt. It's all the same IMO.

Old
06-01-2013, 02:05 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
It's not going off topic. We're discussing an NHL player and his injury history.

And I don't feel as though taking issue with a nicknamed making fun of a serious injury is taking it "wayyyy to [sic] seriously."

There's nothing wrong with disliking a player. There's nothing wrong with rooting against a team for any reason at all, since all reasons to root for or against a sports team are, in the end, arbitrary anyway. There is something wrong with laughing at and mocking concussions as far as I'm concerned, just like there is something wrong with wishing for a player to get hurt or cheering when they do get hurt. It's all the same IMO.
What if it's Suter?

Old
06-01-2013, 02:36 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Haha I think hoping he falters every year and never wins a Cup is good enough, right?

Old
06-01-2013, 03:41 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Haha I think hoping he falters every year and never wins a Cup is good enough, right?
I think the only way it could get better is if the Mild got to game 7 of the Finals and Suter pulled a Steve Smith. That would be awesome.

Old
06-01-2013, 06:02 PM
glenngineer

This goes without saying but Milbury is an idiot. Vokoun isn't proven at this point? He hasn't gotten it done? WTF are you smoking? I'm sorry but Vokoun is a damn fine goalie and the fact that he played for a crappy Florida team for years doesn't diminish what he's done. We got to see him in his prime and the guy was a stud. I'd take him in net any day of the week over MAF at this point. MAF lets in softer goals than Mason does and that's saying something. Yeah, Vokoun solidified Pittsburgh taking over for MAF yet if he falters slightly Milbury thinks the Pens should go back to MAF.

Last edited by TMI: 06-01-2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: just a wee bit too much
Old
06-01-2013, 06:25 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Yeah Milbury isn't the brightest bulb in the box. I'm still waiting for the day JR throws a punch at him.

Old
06-01-2013, 06:33 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Yeah Milbury isn't the brightest bulb in the box. I'm still waiting for the day JR throws a punch at him.
That would so rule.

Old
06-01-2013, 06:42 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

JR would own Milbury in a fight*

*as long as shoes aren't allowed to be used as weapons

Old
06-01-2013, 06:49 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
JR would own Milbury in a fight*

*as long as shoes aren't allowed to be used as weapons
Milbury always had O'Reilly to back him up. Not so much now. I'd like to see Keith Jones punk him right now. Heck, I think Liam McHugh would kick his arse.

Old
06-01-2013, 07:49 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Milbury lost his GM job to a backup goalie .... he's projected ever since.

Old
06-01-2013, 07:57 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Sorry and it's ok that we disagree. What else is new. I remember when Saku Koivu was coming to play here after battling cancer and people were like, he's the enemy, he gets boo'd. I'm sorry but that hit a nerve with me being a cancer survivor. Being a fan and making fun of players is part of the game. Making fun of them because of their medical history is totally different and uncalled for. You have your opinion on the matter and I have mine. That's the beauty of life.
Lighten up Francis. It's a message board. We're giving nicknames to guys who make more in a year than we'll make in a lifetime. Headache Boy, Mush Mellon, Gimpy, it's all the same to me. I'm known as Troy, Troy, the Wheelchair Boy to friends and family. And who knows, maybe people who don't like me refer to me with less flattering monikers. I'm not losing any sleep over it. I'm sure Crosby isn't either.

Old
06-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Iron Duke

Speaking of the poster boy, I didn't hear much in the way of criticism on him completely blowing defensive coverage on the Krejci goal. Defenseman was already in position on the outside, there was no reason for him to drift over there and leave the trailer open. If a player like Kostitsyn or Radulov made that mistake, coupled with the poor interference penalty, we'd be seeing highlight reels about it.

Old
06-01-2013, 09:06 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

I sure noticed it on the reply and I think McGuire did point it out during the period. But of course he was not singled out in the intermission.

Old
06-01-2013, 10:16 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Lighten up Francis. It's a message board. We're giving nicknames to guys who make more in a year than we'll make in a lifetime. Headache Boy, Mush Mellon, Gimpy, it's all the same to me. I'm known as Troy, Troy, the Wheelchair Boy to friends and family. And who knows, maybe people who don't like me refer to me with less flattering monikers. I'm not losing any sleep over it. I'm sure Crosby isn't either.
Money is one thing, someone who is one hit away from having their career ended is another.

Old
06-02-2013, 12:21 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Money is one thing, someone who is one hit away from having their career ended is another.
Again, he's made multi-millions each season he suits up. If his career ends he gets no sympathy from me. I don't care how hard he works or has worked to get where he is. His luck in the genetic pool to even have half the skill he has is random chance. So when his luck runs out, and can only earn 500k/year from endorsements, I'm supposed to sympathize with him.

Now if he ends up like Muhammed Ali, I'll respond a bit less caustically. But only a little. He knows full well the risks he takes by playing the sport. High risk, high reward.

Old
06-02-2013, 12:31 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Ah so now it's OK to be callous about brain trauma so long as the person has a large enough bank account.

Yeah that argument doesn't fly.

Steve Moore made more in his years in the NHL than a lot of folks will ever see. Should we call him Crip because Bertuzzi drove his head into the ice, ending his career? The guy has a degree from Harvard, but he can't use it because of the substantial trauma to his brain. I mean, he did make seven figures way back when.

Justify it all you want, but mocking someone because of an injury is ridiculous.

And I'm sure plenty of concussion victims have lost sleep due to any number of things, pain being the main contributor. But it's not a big deal so long as they can afford a Ferrari.

Old
06-02-2013, 12:40 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Also, "genetics" don't simply give one ability. It takes tremendous work ethic and years of training to hone a skill. To become arguably the best in the world at your craft? Multiply that many times.

People can hate Crosby all they want, and I don't fault them for it. The guy brings it upon himself with his whining to the officials and what not. Make it about those things. Bringing up his injuries just because you don't like him is chicken ****.

And you can call me Francis if you want to, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Old
06-02-2013, 01:18 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Ah so now it's OK to be callous about brain trauma so long as the person has a large enough bank account.

Yeah that argument doesn't fly.

Steve Moore made more in his years in the NHL than a lot of folks will ever see. Should we call him Crip because Bertuzzi drove his head into the ice, ending his career? The guy has a degree from Harvard, but he can't use it because of the substantial trauma to his brain. I mean, he did make seven figures way back when.

Justify it all you want, but mocking someone because of an injury is ridiculous.

And I'm sure plenty of concussion victims have lost sleep due to any number of things, pain being the main contributor. But it's not a big deal so long as they can afford a Ferrari.
My point is there is a great deal of reward these guys are receiving by playing a sport that is very dangerous. And it's hard for me to feel sympathy for anyone who has gotten so much from a risk filled job that finally bites them in the ass.

I've played wheelchair sports for 20 years. Most of the guys I've played against had an injury. Some were caused by stupid, risky behavior. Some injuries were of no fault of their own. Our livlihoods are limited because of the injuries. We "mock" each other everyday. Even the poor ones. If I think my callous comments or nicknames may hurt their feelings because they are cognitively incapable of realizing the lighthearted nature of the name or comment, I keep my mouth shut. If they are merely overly sensitive to their plight, I don't hold back. If Crosby is upset by my calling him a Mush Mellon, he's being overly sensitive.

Old
06-02-2013, 01:29 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I apologize for coming across as abrasive, and please accept my respect for battling through injury to continue enjoying your life as you see fit. That is admirable as hell.

Still, there is a stark difference between not feeling sympathy for someone and belittling them because of something that is, for all intents and purposes, not their fault. A person who plays hockey for their entire life should expect to get hurt, sure. It is a physical sport. A person who plays hockey for their entire life should not necessarily expect to have severe injuries simply because they chose to play a game.

At the end of the day these guys, all of them, are out there putting on a show so that we may enjoy it. They are entertaining us. Love them or hate them, they are willfully risking bodily harm to play a game that is only financially rewarding because we are entertained by it. When they get hurt we shouldn't mock them. We shouldn't turn our heads and laugh simply because they are getting paid millions of dollars. It is one thing to oppose the riches these players are rewarded. It is an entirely different thing to openly and callously insult them because they suffered an injury while playing a game that is meant for our enjoyment.

Again, I apologize for being abrasive.

I'd like to add that I only wouldn't recommend calling me "Francis" because my name is actually Justin, and it had nothing to do with me being a mod

Old
06-02-2013, 01:37 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Also, "genetics" don't simply give one ability. It takes tremendous work ethic and years of training to hone a skill. To become arguably the best in the world at your craft? Multiply that many times.

People can hate Crosby all they want, and I don't fault them for it. The guy brings it upon himself with his whining to the officials and what not. Make it about those things. Bringing up his injuries just because you don't like him is chicken ****.

And you can call me Francis if you want to, but I wouldn't recommend it.
His genetics gave him a huge head start. Every guy in the NHL has worked hard. I'd love to start with the same set of inherent abilities any of those guys have. Working hard and sacrificing your body and mind for a game like hockey, or tennis, or basketball, or any number of other sports is a sacrifice of love. How many of us would work as hard to be an accountant, marketing manager, small business owner, etc...? It's easier to sacrifice for a game you played as a kid, than it is to sacrifice for a job you are obligated to work because of familial obligations.

I don't like him because he whines. A player with his ability shouldn't whine. Caliing him names related to his injury is sophomoric, but they shouldn't hurt his or anyone else's feelings. If my comments do, you are taking life way too seriously.

Closed Thread