HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Ott-WPG

Old
06-01-2013, 01:58 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post
I think Ottawa does this quite easily.But I agree with the risk of burmis attitude problems
This is a complicated subject. Remember this was the label Turris had on him in Phoenix and how did that work out for the Sens? Hodgson in Vancouver? Sometimes young guys need a fresh start.

I am one of the Jets fans that definitely want to keep Burmi.

Brief summary from my viewpoint on Burmi.

The good. First guy to the rink last to leave...... Very hard working....Busts his hump on the Ice.....great skater....excellent at the PK and already a good 3rd line defensive centre. Showed up to St Johns with a great attitude during the lockout when he could have made away more money in the KHL. IMHO he has progressed nicely this past season in his possession game. Shows flashes of brilliance on offence and according to Brain Munz (Radio PBP man) is the most talented guy in practice on the team but it has not translated to the games yet.

Downside. was rushed into the NHL. He tends to dance to the beat of his own drummer on O and has got on the coach's bad side twice for not playing within the system offensively. Some of our fans have given up on him because last year he would over handle the puck in the O zone and lose possession. He has not lived up to some of the fans expectations offensively and some of them don't think it will ever happen. He was allegedly dangled at the trade deadline and perhaps there is a better system for him to thrive in.

As far as I can tell he is not a head case or a problem child but he is strong willed and likes to play his game.

Keep in mind he is 21 and far from a finished product. If we deal him FOR VALUE fine but if we fire sale him I will lead the angry mob with the pitchforks and the torches.

Last edited by ps241: 06-01-2013 at 02:07 PM.
ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 02:38 PM
StefanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
This is a complicated subject. Remember this was the label Turris had on him in Phoenix and how did that work out for the Sens? Hodgson in Vancouver? Sometimes young guys need a fresh start.

I am one of the Jets fans that definitely want to keep Burmi.

Brief summary from my viewpoint on Burmi.

The good. First guy to the rink last to leave...... Very hard working....Busts his hump on the Ice.....great skater....excellent at the PK and already a good 3rd line defensive centre. Showed up to St Johns with a great attitude during the lockout when he could have made away more money in the KHL. IMHO he has progressed nicely this past season in his possession game. Shows flashes of brilliance on offence and according to Brain Munz (Radio PBP man) is the most talented guy in practice on the team but it has not translated to the games yet.

Downside. was rushed into the NHL. He tends to dance to the beat of his own drummer on O and has got on the coach's bad side twice for not playing within the system offensively. Some of our fans have given up on him because last year he would over handle the puck in the O zone and lose possession. He has not lived up to some of the fans expectations offensively and some of them don't think it will ever happen. He was allegedly dangled at the trade deadline and perhaps there is a better system for him to thrive in.

As far as I can tell he is not a head case or a problem child but he is strong willed and likes to play his game.

Keep in mind he is 21 and far from a finished product. If we deal him FOR VALUE fine but if we fire sale him I will lead the angry mob with the pitchforks and the torches.
Very good summary. From what I gather he also has trouble taking criticism, which is similar but distinct from being strong willed.

StefanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Huffer

PS241, as usual the voice of reason.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 02:53 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanW View Post
Very good summary. From what I gather he also has trouble taking criticism, which is similar but distinct from being strong willed.
Yea some of this seemed to be a language barrier and it allegedly happened late last season (2011-12). Burmi used a term like he was being dissed by the coachs and possibly some veterans "no respect" but then he showed up in St John's with a great attitude and got along well with his teammates. Like I said this one is pretty complex and I think it is a combination of communication, immaturity, and stubbornness on Burmi's part.....trust me there are some issues and if I thought he was a write off or a head case I would be the first one throwing him under the bus. One minute he is saying stuff like this but the next minute on the ice he hustles back hard and dives to break up a 2-1 against and blows the net off. one other positive I failed to mention is he is very feisty and physically engaged......he hits a lot for his size.

Last edited by ps241: 06-01-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old
06-01-2013, 03:08 PM
StefanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Yea some of this seemed to be a language barrier and it allegedly happened late last season (2011-12). Burmi used a term like he was being dissed by the coachable possibly some veterans "no respect" but then he showed up in St John's with a great attitude and got along well with his teammates. Like I said this one is pretty complex and I think it is a combination of communication, immaturity, and stubbornness on Burmi's part.....trust me there are some issues and if I thought he was a write off or a head case I would be the first one throwing him under the bus. One minute he is saying stuff like this but the next minute on the ice he hustles back hard and dives to break up a 2-1 against and blows the net off. one other positive I failed to mention is he is very feisty and physically engaged......he hits a lot for his size.
I'm a transplanted Winnipegger who moved to Ottawa a few years back, so I only get bits and pieces of the back story. I still watch a few Jets games though, and they are my second favourite team.

Murray does have some history with picking up players like this on the chance that they will blossom in a new environment. Turris is the most obvious example of this, but he also gambled on Latendresse in the same way. Burmi was also on the Sens radar before the Jets drafted him, so he is likely to still be on our wish list.

The difficult part is assessing value. He is not the answer to our search for a scoring winger, so I don't see the Sens offering enough to pry him away from Wpg. The Jets have invested too much in him already, from selecting him with a high draft pick to grooming him in the AHL and NHL, to accept the couple of mid level prospects for him
that I would assume the Sens would offer. Or the Sens could surprise me and put one of our high end non-roster prospects on the table because they still want him badly. It could go either way.

StefanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 03:18 PM
ps241
.915 please Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanW View Post
I'm a transplanted Winnipegger who moved to Ottawa a few years back, so I only get bits and pieces of the back story. I still watch a few Jets games though, and they are my second favourite team.

Murray does have some history with picking up players like this on the chance that they will blossom in a new environment. Turris is the most obvious example of this, but he also gambled on Latendresse in the same way. Burmi was also on the Sens radar before the Jets drafted him, so he is likely to still be on our wish list.

The difficult part is assessing value. He is not the answer to our search for a scoring winger, so I don't see the Sens offering enough to pry him away from Wpg. The Jets have invested too much in him already, from selecting him with a high draft pick to grooming him in the AHL and NHL, to accept the couple of mid level prospects for him
that I would assume the Sens would offer. Or the Sens could surprise me and put one of our high end non-roster prospects on the table because they still want him badly. It could go either way.
good post Stephan and too be clear I am not giving Burmi a pass because he does have some blood on his hands.

I really think Detroit would be a great fresh start for him......Datsyuk is his hero and would be a perfect mentor, they play a puck possesion game that would fit his style, and the organization seems like it would suit him to a tee.

Old
06-01-2013, 04:52 PM
DanyAllStar

vCash: 500
Ottawa takes the deal, maybe Winnipeg has to throw in a 4th or 5th, would you consider that ?

DanyAllStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Karlssonlee

vCash: 500
I really like Burmi.

What is shocking is the fact he never put up impressive numbers in the ohl or ahl given his skill set

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote