HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

The Last of Us

Old
06-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Green Blob*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
Too scary, not getting.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 04:27 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Seriously, go play Uncharted 2 and 3. You won't regret it. 2 is just ****ing AMAZING. It might be the best console game of this generation (so far). Also, there is apparently a demo out there for The Last of Us, but I refuse to play it. I want to play the full game and get everything there.
Seriously?! I played Uncharted 3 because I kept hearing how great those games are, and it seemed like the type of game that I'd like.

Man was I disappointed. It was stupidly short, and had the dumbest AI I've ever come across in a game. The story wasn't that great at all either. The cut scenes look nice and the voice acting is good, but that's about all the positive things I can say about it. One of the most overrated games in history.

The Last Of Us looks great from what I've seen, but I'm a little hesitant because I can picture it lacking a lot of depth and not really sucking you into the story, just like Uncharted 3. And that leaked review means nothing, because there were critics that raved about Uncharted 3 as well, and it was pretty bad.

Pretty damn bad.

Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 04:33 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Dumbest AI? How so? And what do you mean by short? How long did it take you to beat it the first time around? The story was better than the 1st game, but not as good as the 2nd. Most overrated games in history? I'm sorry, did I miss something?

I think you're probably alone in the idea that 3 sucked and that the series is one of the most overrated games in history.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 05:12 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Dumbest AI? How so? And what do you mean by short? How long did it take you to beat it the first time around? The story was better than the 1st game, but not as good as the 2nd. Most overrated games in history? I'm sorry, did I miss something?

I think you're probably alone in the idea that 3 sucked and that the series is one of the most overrated games in history.
Hate to say this to you SS but MGS4 was up there in my 'most over-rated games of all time' list.

I played the original Metal Gear when I was young and remember frustration... then later I never got to any of the other Metal Gear's.

MGS4 was basically a cut scene... I still remember the first time beating the game. I finished at about 12:30 AM... about 10 minutes into the final cut scene I fell asleep and I swear I worke up at 2:45 and the credits were still going...

(EDIT: but then again I also think the GTA series from Rockstar is pretty damn over-rated. Red Dead was great though).

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Johnny LaRue

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Hate to say this to you SS but MGS4 was up there in my 'most over-rated games of all time' list.

I played the original Metal Gear when I was young and remember frustration... then later I never got to any of the other Metal Gear's.

MGS4 was basically a cut scene... I still remember the first time beating the game. I finished at about 12:30 AM... about 10 minutes into the final cut scene I fell asleep and I swear I worke up at 2:45 and the credits were still going...

(EDIT: but then again I also think the GTA series from Rockstar is pretty damn over-rated. Red Dead was great though).
I agree with you on a lot of points. MGS4 was awful. OTOH, Uncharted 2 and 3 are great in spite of their mediocre AI. The gameplay is fun and I personally like the stories.

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 05:26 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:

The ending is about an hour or so. Honestly, I found Red Dead boring (just me), but I know it's very good. Just could never fully get into it. GTA I thought has always been a good series, but I've always been a person to just go around and do random **** instead of the story.

When a game has a lot of cutscenes, but goes along with a lot of gameplay, I don't see the problem. I still believe that probably the most overrated series (especially after the 4th game) is COD. Funny how some don't mention Mass Effect (2 was the best, 3 was good, and 1... the combat really was kinda bad, even if the RPG elements were very good) or Gears of War.

Old
06-01-2013, 06:28 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
I agree with you on a lot of points. MGS4 was awful. OTOH, Uncharted 2 and 3 are great in spite of their mediocre AI. The gameplay is fun and I personally like the stories.
I don't think MGS4 was completely awful, but I don't think it got less than a 9 from anywhere and for me it was simply to short and over-the-top in terms of cinematics. ALmost more of a lonnnnnng movie with some gameplay that was okay.

Personally I had waaaay more fun with Hitman: Blood Money around the same time.

Quote:
The ending is about an hour or so. Honestly, I found Red Dead boring (just me), but I know it's very good. Just could never fully get into it. GTA I thought has always been a good series, but I've always been a person to just go around and do random **** instead of the story.
See for the "go do random ****" I love that, but I love it in Just Cause 2 and Saints Row 2/3... GTA4 felt tiresome and chore like.

Quote:
When a game has a lot of cutscenes, but goes along with a lot of gameplay, I don't see the problem. I still believe that probably the most overrated series (especially after the 4th game) is COD. Funny how some don't mention Mass Effect (2 was the best, 3 was good, and 1... the combat really was kinda bad, even if the RPG elements were very good) or Gears of War.
With regards to cutscenes I don't disagree... but when I can beat the game in under 4 hours on my 2nd playthrough I should not have feel that the cut-scenes were significantly longer than the gameplay. IMO a game should stand on its own aside from the pretty cut-scenes and for a 4-6 hour 'good' game I think MGS4 is over-rated.

Gears of War was mediocre (IMO) but had sensational marketing (sold me on the first one at least).

COD is definetly over-rated. I actually miss the WW2 ones I think I own 3(?) of the modern COD games. COD2, COD Modern Warfare and COD World at War. Modern Warfare was really a decent game but all the rest are just 'okay.'

Mass Effect 2 was fantastic. 3 was basically 2 up until they decided to destroy the ending with laziness (which made me upset too). I actually really enjoyed 1 and what it tried to do, even if it failed. 1 was more of a sci-fi game to me than 2 or 3.

Old
06-01-2013, 07:53 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
Seriously?! I played Uncharted 3 because I kept hearing how great those games are, and it seemed like the type of game that I'd like.

Man was I disappointed. It was stupidly short, and had the dumbest AI I've ever come across in a game. The story wasn't that great at all either. The cut scenes look nice and the voice acting is good, but that's about all the positive things I can say about it. One of the most overrated games in history.

The Last Of Us looks great from what I've seen, but I'm a little hesitant because I can picture it lacking a lot of depth and not really sucking you into the story, just like Uncharted 3. And that leaked review means nothing, because there were critics that raved about Uncharted 3 as well, and it was pretty bad.

Pretty damn bad.
It's okay to dislike a game. But to flat out lie? No depth in the story? Okayy.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 08:01 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

I would like to mention that I don't think Naughty Dog makes bad games. They just haven't 'wowed' me yet, but maybe that's the not having played Uncharted 2 thing.

Old
06-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
If the new consoles were still another 2-3 yrs away I'd probably buy a PS3 just for this game.

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
I would like to mention that I don't think Naughty Dog makes bad games. They just haven't 'wowed' me yet, but maybe that's the not having played Uncharted 2 thing.
I feel the same way about most PS3 franchises. I'm not a fan, but I recognize their quality and popularity. Just not really my bag. I prefer a smoother way of aiming weapons, and PS3 shooters/adventure games have always seemed sloppy to me.

That said, if this game receives GOTY acclaim, I will have to buy it.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 11:07 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:
It's okay to dislike a game. But to flat out lie? No depth in the story? Okayy.
What was the story about again? I seriously don't remember, and I only played the game a few months ago. It was completely forgettable. Not awful, just very meh.

And concerning the AI, you would get cornered by a bunch of bad guys, but they were so bad that I could pretty much just walk up to them and shoot them in the head lol. That's another thing I guess. The game was SO EASY.

I was actually thinking at some points throughout the game, "This might be favorite game if I was 12 years old". That's probably the best way to describe Uncharted 3. Any adult gamer probably wouldn't like it very much.

Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2013, 11:38 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Uncharted and story depth don't belong in the same sentence. It's a fun game but should be looked at the same way a summer action flick is. The only problem is it's trying to be a movie and in the end will always fall short.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 12:37 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Dylan View Post
Uncharted and story depth don't belong in the same sentence. It's a fun game but should be looked at the same way a summer action flick is. The only problem is it's trying to be a movie and in the end will always fall short.
lol, at least I know now to play games you don't like and pass on games you like! Seems like we disagree on all games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
What was the story about again? I seriously don't remember, and I only played the game a few months ago. It was completely forgettable. Not awful, just very meh.

And concerning the AI, you would get cornered by a bunch of bad guys, but they were so bad that I could pretty much just walk up to them and shoot them in the head lol. That's another thing I guess. The game was SO EASY.

I was actually thinking at some points throughout the game, "This might be favorite game if I was 12 years old". That's probably the best way to describe Uncharted 3. Any adult gamer probably wouldn't like it very much.
Sorry my post was harsh, I was pissed off before (not at you).

The game might be easy on Normal. Play on the hardest level though. It's a freaking *****.

I know lots of people over the age of 12. Hell, my grandfather made me play through the entire first game one night because he started watching and loved the story.

Old
06-02-2013, 03:59 AM
TheAntiPrice

Uncharted 3 did kinda suck compared to Uncharted 2.

I'd give Uncharted 2 a 10/10, and Uncharted 3 maybe a 7 and that's being generous.

TheAntiPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 11:00 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAntiPrice View Post
Uncharted 3 did kinda suck compared to Uncharted 2.

I'd give Uncharted 2 a 10/10, and Uncharted 3 maybe a 7 and that's being generous.
I liked #3 the best. Best gameplay and best story, IMO. But, I'm much more fond of the Elena character than the Chloe character.

Old
06-02-2013, 11:03 AM
chasespace

IMO Uncharted 2 had the better story but Uncharted 3 had the better graphics and gameplay. Seeing as how it came later that isn't surprising but I was honestly a little disappointed with the story. It wasn't bad but in comparison to 2 it was a noticeable step down.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 11:08 AM
Sovereign
sic parvis magna

Quote:
lol, at least I know now to play games you don't like and pass on games you like! Seems like we disagree on all games.

Sorry my post was harsh, I was pissed off before (not at you).

The game might be easy on Normal. Play on the hardest level though. It's a freaking *****.

I know lots of people over the age of 12. Hell, my grandfather made me play through the entire first game one night because he started watching and loved the story.

your grandfather is awesome.

Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 02:07 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
your grandfather is awesome.
Haha, he's hilarious. That's what he is. My friend and I made him watch Ted. The whole time he watched it, he was dying laughing. He kept saying "what the **** has happened to this world." And then would laugh some more. We always mention it to his friends, and he pretends to hate it, but he laughed harder than me or my friend.

He followed that up by watching The Voice and balling when on girl didn't get any of the coaches to turn around for her. Legit tears and sniffles. Cracking voice to match. "I just feel so bad for her!" Haha what a guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
IMO Uncharted 2 had the better story but Uncharted 3 had the better graphics and gameplay. Seeing as how it came later that isn't surprising but I was honestly a little disappointed with the story. It wasn't bad but in comparison to 2 it was a noticeable step down.
My friend always says;

Gameplay=3,2,1
Story=1,2,3

I personally love all three, so when I play them over, I think of it as one complete game. I still need to play golden abyss.

Old
06-04-2013, 12:19 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Edge Magazine gave it a 10/10. 15th time in 20 years of the magazine.

Last edited by SolidSnakeUS: 06-04-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old
06-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Impressive looking at that thread, reviewers must not care about the horrible fps and texture quality.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 02:19 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I removed the link because I'm afraid of spoilers (people are *******s that way, so I'm not going to leave it up there). So I did it just in case.

Old
06-05-2013, 09:29 AM
Hockeyfrilla

Edge - 10/10
Official Playstation Magazine - 10/10
Empire Online - 5/5
Eurogamer - 10/10
Digital Spy - 5/5
Examiner - 5/5
Games TM - 9/10
Giant Bomb - 5/5
Destructiod - 10/10
Videogamer - 10/10
The Sixth Axis - 10/10
IGN - 10/10
Gamesradar - 5/5
Kotaku - Yes
Gamespot - 8/10

Hockeyfrilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2013, 09:45 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
Edge - 10/10
Official Playstation Magazine - 10/10
Empire Online - 5/5
Eurogamer - 10/10
Digital Spy - 5/5
Examiner - 5/5
Games TM - 9/10
Giant Bomb - 5/5
Destructiod - 10/10
Videogamer - 10/10
The Sixth Axis - 10/10
IGN - 10/10
Gamesradar - 5/5
Kotaku - Yes
Gamespot - 8/10
Gamespot has been tough on reviews in the last month or so.

Criticisms of the Last of Us seem to be on the combat.

Old
06-05-2013, 09:58 AM
SolidSnakeUS

So can't ****ing wait to play it. It's awesome that it comes out on Friday so everyone can go get it after work and then just play it during the weekend.