HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers and Gagner working on extension: [UPD: Elected Arbitration]

Closed Thread

Old
06-01-2013, 01:36 AM
17Kurri

vCash: 500
5 years for $20mil is the absolute max I'd do. I'm not as high on Sammy as I once was.

Old
06-01-2013, 05:29 AM
Nail and Nuge

I just don't see a future with Gagner here. His defensive play and horrific faceoff history really limits him in the 2nd line center spot.

Wing? Am I wrong or was it two years ago that he started on the wing (after a fall into the boards in pre season) and was brutal. Everyone kept saying, "Well he is playing out of position".

I don't see a role for yet another small forward. Trade him while his value is high- package him up for our needed top 4 D man.

Old
06-01-2013, 05:39 AM
FlyingV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail and Nuge View Post
I just don't see a future with Gagner here. His defensive play and horrific faceoff history really limits him in the 2nd line center spot.

Wing? Am I wrong or was it two years ago that he started on the wing (after a fall into the boards in pre season) and was brutal. Everyone kept saying, "Well he is playing out of position".

I don't see a role for yet another small forward. Trade him while his value is high- package him up for our needed top 4 D man.
I like Gagner, but I also am starting to question if he fits going forward. Biggest problem right now is that there's no one to replace him. So we either deal him to bring a d back and draft a centre (who likely won't be top 6 ready next year, so that doesn't work all that well unless we can find a 2C from free agency), or we trade him with other assets for a bigger 2C

Old
06-01-2013, 07:56 AM
harpoon

I can't wait till we trade Gagner for magic beans and toughness. Its going to be good times on this board when Gagner goes on to become an AllStar elsewhere. Rest assured I will be reminding everyone of how desperate they were to trade this flawed, mediocre player.

Old
06-01-2013, 08:45 AM
Moneypuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaOil1993 View Post
Disagree, How would the picks help us? You want Horc as 2nd line C? I am sick of trading proven NHLers for picks and prospects.
Forest for the trees, forest for the trees.

Gagners only good in the one zone, from the opponents blue line back to the Oilers goal line, he struggles bigtime. He's a danger at both ends of the ice. Easily push off the puck, and is sub .500 in the faceoff circle.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, and Gagner, Hemsky and Horcoff all need to be gone. Get Kyle Wellwood in here to replace one of these guys. Better in every statistical category and for only 1/4 the money. Use 1 or 2 of these guys to move up and select Barkov in the coming draft.

Old
06-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I can't wait till we trade Gagner for magic beans and toughness. Its going to be good times on this board when Gagner goes on to become an AllStar elsewhere. Rest assured I will be reminding everyone of how desperate they were to trade this flawed, mediocre player.
And if those magic beans end up better than he is? Gagner is a good offensive player, it's the rest of his game that 6 years in is still less than stellar. Of course I guess we could just give him a 5-7 year deal paying him $5 million + and hope that "he gets it" when he's 28-30 years of age. And if not, what do we have to lose?

06-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Draft a C and then sign Cullen or McDonald for $5 million for one year.

Old
06-01-2013, 01:55 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneypuck View Post
Forest for the trees, forest for the trees.

Gagners only good in the one zone, from the opponents blue line back to the Oilers goal line, he struggles bigtime. He's a danger at both ends of the ice. Easily push off the puck, and is sub .500 in the faceoff circle.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, and Gagner, Hemsky and Horcoff all need to be gone. Get Kyle Wellwood in here to replace one of these guys. Better in every statistical category and for only 1/4 the money. Use 1 or 2 of these guys to move up and select Barkov in the coming draft.
Wellwood? What's next? Bring in Latendresse to replace Hall?

Old
06-01-2013, 02:01 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I dont really care. If he wants to play those are the terms.
Look out Gagner, or this internet message board poster is going to negotiate your pants off!

Old
06-01-2013, 02:10 PM
PeakOil
Loyal To The Oil

I don' think he's worth more than 4.3 or 4.4 over 4-5 years. If Gagner wants to win, and wants to stay here he's gonna need to follow in Ladi's footsteps and take a team friendly contract a bit. Could he hold out for more and maybe 4.8 from another team in a year, perhaps, but I don't think that's a guarantee by any means.

Old
06-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Wellwood? What's next? Bring in Latendresse to replace Hall?
nah, MORE DRAFT PICKS, is the way we should go.

Old
06-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Soundwave

I like Gagner's attitude, but I just don't know if he's a long term fit here.

Even if you move him to the wing ... that's Gagner, Eberle, and Yakupov on the wings, which is kind of a small group, not to mention that as a winger doesn't he prefer to play RW?

If you draft Lindholm/Monahan, then long term you should have a no.2 center waiting in the wings, maybe they can get some center depth that's OK for a year.

Even an Olli Jokinen for a year honestly wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, he'd replace some of Gagner's offense, and is probably slightly better defensively and in the face off dot.

If you can move Gagner for defensive help like a Kulikov or Byfuglien (Winnipeg sounds like they're losing Burmistrov) ... I dunno. I think you have to consider it.

Last edited by Soundwave: 06-01-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old
06-01-2013, 04:35 PM
NeutralZone

I'm hoping for 5 years at 4 million, but I'm worried it will be more like 4 years at 5 million.

Old
06-01-2013, 07:05 PM
oilers83

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
I'm hoping for 5 years at 4 million, but I'm worried it will be more like 4 years at 5 million.
I have this feeling as well, if its the 5 million dollar mark, I can see something very similar to what we have with Horcoff now. It would be unlikely in my mind for him to live up to the 5 million a year and cause the same situation we have the captain. I think the whole point of resigning him is to trade him in a couple years when we have a more complimentary 2c for RNH. If we get Barkov at the draft Sam will be traded. If we get Monahan, who is considered to need more time Gagner will be resigned and play 2c next year.

Gagner + 2nd + something else for Gormley + Sammuelsson

My dream...

Hall RNH Eberle
? Barkov Yak
PRV Lander Samumelsson

Klefbom Schultz
Gormely Petry

Please note this would be a couple years down the road

Old
06-01-2013, 07:47 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
And if those magic beans end up better than he is? Gagner is a good offensive player, it's the rest of his game that 6 years in is still less than stellar. Of course I guess we could just give him a 5-7 year deal paying him $5 million + and hope that "he gets it" when he's 28-30 years of age. And if not, what do we have to lose?
Maybe give him one colored contact lens so fans know what to expect.

Old
06-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Maybe give him one colored contact lens so fans know what to expect.
He has more puck skills than Horcoff ever had, but that would be my worry, that he would either stagnate or worse and that he'd be this generation's Horcoff.

Old
06-01-2013, 10:30 PM
FlyingV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I like Gagner's attitude, but I just don't know if he's a long term fit here.

Even if you move him to the wing ... that's Gagner, Eberle, and Yakupov on the wings, which is kind of a small group, not to mention that as a winger doesn't he prefer to play RW?

If you draft Lindholm/Monahan, then long term you should have a no.2 center waiting in the wings, maybe they can get some center depth that's OK for a year.

Even an Olli Jokinen for a year honestly wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, he'd replace some of Gagner's offense, and is probably slightly better defensively and in the face off dot.

If you can move Gagner for defensive help like a Kulikov or Byfuglien (Winnipeg sounds like they're losing Burmistrov) ... I dunno. I think you have to consider it.
Gagner wouldn't get us Byfuglien

Old
06-01-2013, 10:41 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingV View Post
Maybe not, but he's a 23 year old that just put up .8 ppg. If he's moved, he'll bring back more than people think.

Old
06-02-2013, 12:15 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingV View Post
Teams that are starving for offensive centers would pay a good premium for a 23 year old center.

Old
06-02-2013, 02:46 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
The haters show up more than anyone in Gagner threads , but a lot of fans really like Gagner just seems like there is a lot who don't because they are so vocal in here.

Old
06-02-2013, 03:45 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
The haters show up more than anyone in Gagner threads , but a lot of fans really like Gagner just seems like there is a lot who don't because they are so vocal in here.
He seems like a nice enough guy, has skill, shows heart at times, it's not like this guy is worthless and gutless so he's bound to have fans. That said those that really want him to stay keep saying that his D will get better as will his faceoffs, etc. The bottom line is that RNH is our 1C going forward and we need more size or strength and defense from our 2C. Are you perfectly fine with Gagner being matched up against Kopitar, Thornton, Getzlaf, and Hanzal for 24 games next season and the season after, etc? Are you going to sit there and tell me that when we do make the playoffs that Gagner is going to thrive against teams that are much bigger and stronger when what constitutes a penalty changes? Answer honestly, do you think that we can beat these teams with him as a major part of our team?

Old
06-02-2013, 04:30 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
He seems like a nice enough guy, has skill, shows heart at times, it's not like this guy is worthless and gutless so he's bound to have fans. That said those that really want him to stay keep saying that his D will get better as will his faceoffs, etc. The bottom line is that RNH is our 1C going forward and we need more size or strength and defense from our 2C. Are you perfectly fine with Gagner being matched up against Kopitar, Thornton, Getzlaf, and Hanzal for 24 games next season and the season after, etc? Are you going to sit there and tell me that when we do make the playoffs that Gagner is going to thrive against teams that are much bigger and stronger when what constitutes a penalty changes? Answer honestly, do you think that we can beat these teams with him as a major part of our team?
Exactly. I could honestly see him as a 1C in the SE Division on a team that makes the playoffs. In our division? Ha.

BTW a buddy of mine saw him down in the Dominican this summer. All good, NHLers are allowed to take time off in the off-season. What wasn't cool was the comparison he made to the Schremp sugar****.

Old
06-02-2013, 06:45 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
I like MacT's idea of moving him to wing next year. Hopefully bringing in that real 2C via draft or trade will help call off the dogs, though it's really a criticism of management's inability to field a competent roster.

Old
06-02-2013, 11:06 AM
GMofOilers

Turris got a nice return, I would expect Gagner to garnish the same.

Old
06-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Exactly. I could honestly see him as a 1C in the SE Division on a team that makes the playoffs. In our division? Ha.

BTW a buddy of mine saw him down in the Dominican this summer. All good, NHLers are allowed to take time off in the off-season. What wasn't cool was the comparison he made to the Schremp sugar****.
This part flew over my head, are you saying that he didn't look very fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
I like MacT's idea of moving him to wing next year. Hopefully bringing in that real 2C via draft or trade will help call off the dogs, though it's really a criticism of management's inability to field a competent roster.
If we did that I guess he'd play LW across from Yakupov.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Gagner-?-Yakupov

I suppose that could work but we wouldn't be winning any puck battles on his side of the ice on the forecheck. Or do you have him as the offensive catalyst on the 3rd line instead surrounded with more beef?

Paajarvi/Bickell-?-Yakupov
Bickell/Paajarvi-?-Gagner

What would you be willing to pay for his services?

Closed Thread