HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013-14 Flyers Overhaul Part II

Old
06-02-2013, 01:26 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

vCash: 500
Would anyone be opposed to trading Laughton for Rundblad (some yotes fans suggested it in the trade thread). I think it'd be a good move.

Buyout:
Briere

Sign:
Nathan Horton
Maxim Lapierre

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Horton-Schenn-Simmonds
Gagne-Couturier-Read
Rinaldo-Lapierre-Talbot

Timonen-Schenn
Rundblad-Coburn
Gustafsson-Grossmann

Mason
Bryzgalov

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 01:58 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Would anyone be opposed to trading Laughton for Rundblad (some yotes fans suggested it in the trade thread). I think it'd be a good move.

Buyout:
Briere

Sign:
Nathan Horton
Maxim Lapierre

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Horton-Schenn-Simmonds
Gagne-Couturier-Read
Rinaldo-Lapierre-Talbot

Timonen-Schenn
Rundblad-Coburn
Gustafsson-Grossmann

Mason
Bryzgalov
That's a trade that I'd make. I doubt that Rundblad ever becomes a top pairing PMD but he should be good enough to 2nd pairing duties. I just wonder how much better than Gus he would be and also if maybe we packaged a little more with Laughton if we couldn't get a true top pairing PMD (probably not, but kick the tires at least).

Also, I don't think we'll have the money to sign Horton especially with the players needing new contracts over the next 2 off-seasons.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 10:40 AM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
A amended trade: thoughts on Rundblad + conditional 2nd (if Read resigns) for Read + Laughton?

IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 10:57 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
A amended trade: thoughts on Rundblad + conditional 2nd (if Read resigns) for Read + Laughton?
That's a lot o give up for a guy who's has trouble cracking an NHL lineup. Laughton and Rundblad are pretty close to equal value here considering they both have the potential to what each respective team needs.

Read is a very valuable piece and I really don't know why he's so ridiculously underrated on these boards. I'm not trading a 19 year old kid that was drafted last year and had a great season and looks to be primed to make an impact in the NHL plus a versatile nhl forward who plays all situations on a cheap contract and a solid 20-25 goal scorer for a guy who is 22 and has spent the large majority of his pro time in the ahl.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 11:08 AM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
No way. Way too much from the Flyers end.

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 11:41 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Buyout:
Briere

Sign:
Ian White (pmd rh/s)
Boyd Gordon or keep Hall for 4th line duties - cheaper option, Hall....(faceoff machines)
M. Ryder or Gagne (good 2way players who can score, both great shots - Peter Forsberg once told me...)
Filppula

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Ryder/Gagne - Schenn - Simmonds
Raffl (he pans out)/Filppula - Couturier - Read
Rinaldo - Gordon/Hall - Talbot

Timonen-Schenn
Coburn-White
Gustafsson-Grossmann

Mason
Bryzgalov

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
Way too much.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Larry44

Quote:
That's a lot o give up for a guy who's has trouble cracking an NHL lineup. Laughton and Rundblad are pretty close to equal value here considering they both have the potential to what each respective team needs.

Read is a very valuable piece and I really don't know why he's so ridiculously underrated on these boards. I'm not trading a 19 year old kid that was drafted last year and had a great season and looks to be primed to make an impact in the NHL plus a versatile nhl forward who plays all situations on a cheap contract and a solid 20-25 goal scorer for a guy who is 22 and has spent the large majority of his pro time in the ahl.
Thank you. Rundblad has proven NOTHING. Laughton is going to be a better NHL Player than he is. Why everyone is throwing our best prospects at these nothings is beyond me.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Larry44

Quote:

Buyout:
Briere

Sign:
Nathan Horton
Maxim Lapierre

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Horton-Schenn-Simmonds
Gagne-Couturier-Read
Rinaldo-Lapierre-Talbot

Timonen-Schenn
Rundblad-Coburn
Gustafsson-Grossmann

Mason
Bryzgalov
No thank you to Rundblad at that price.

Maybe Yandle if our price is that high, but some kid who can`t play D well enough to make the Sens or Yotes.

Horton would be a great signing, but Boston is clearly going to resign him at all cost so its moot. He won`t be available. Lapierre is a ******. Let him wreck someone else`s team.

Better to sign Mason Raymond for a speedster to play with Schenn and Simmonds, if they don`t reup Gagne for that spot - which is not the worst idea

Old
06-02-2013, 02:04 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post

Maybe Yandle if our price is that high, but some kid who can`t play D well enough to make the Sens or Yotes.

Horton would be a great signing, but Boston is clearly going to resign him at all cost so its moot. He won`t be available. Lapierre is a ******. Let him wreck someone else`s team.

Better to sign Mason Raymond for a speedster to play with Schenn and Simmonds, if they don`t reup Gagne for that spot - which is not the worst idea
They want to get bigger so it will be somebody large.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Esq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
M. Ryder or Gagne (good 2way players who can score, both great shots - Peter Forsberg once told me...)
Filppula
Yeah...no.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 01:38 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post

Its pretty much a foregone conclusion that Horton wont be resigned by Boston...

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 01:48 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
Its pretty much a foregone conclusion that Horton wont be resigned by Boston...
Horton's final year of his current deal pays him $5.5 million. The only way the Flyers sign him is if he takes a pay cut and I doubt he's going to do that. He's going to the highest bidder and you know someone out there is going to give him at least $5.5 million, maybe even $6 million. Personally, I want no part of Horton. The concussion history alone is scary.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Pelle31

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Yup, by winning 7 of our last 8 games when we were out of the playoffs we went from having the #4 pick to the #11 pick. Not that I wanted us to tank the end of the season but ask my kids, I was actually rooting AGAINST us. I was praying for us to have a top 5 pick this year and we ended up out of the top 10. That win streak at the end did nothing but hurt us for the future. Just plain pointles.

BC is right. We need to stop swapping out 25% or more of our starting lineup each year. There was a study a few years ago of all teams from the 4 major NA sports and it found that over a 20 year period only one team that changed it opening day roster by more than 25% fom the previous year even made the playoffs. Keep your core together and make minor tweeks, not major overhauls each year.

First and foremost we have to teach our forwards to play more responsible in the defensive zone even if it comes at the cost of some offense. The REAL problem with our defense is that we have one leader in the group (Timonen) four followers (chenn, Coburn, Grossmen and Mesz) and one questionmark (Gus). If Gus CAN lead a pairing then we aren't in too much trouble for next year. If he's not capable of leading a paring with Coburn then we are in serious trouble (remember in 09 we had the same problem and it wasn't fixed until we paid through the nose for Carle).

Bryz won't be bought out this year. He'll be given one more year to prove himself and if he's not playing the way we expect he'll be bought out next summer.

I hate being right when I see us doing really stupid things with the roster but a number of us wanted us to keep bob and just sign Vokoun for 2-3 years so we could properly groom Bob. I've been telling you guys for years that Carle wasn't nearly as bad as most on here thought and that we'd miss him when he was gone. It showed this year.

I sincerly hope that Gus can step up next year and lead the 2nd pairing. I think he's got the talent and is a decent PMD but I just don't know if he has the mentality to LEAD on the ice. Coburn clearly doesn't.

There is no easy fix for this team. We have both short term and long term holes staring us square in the face. Beyond that we MUST get better as ateam in the defensive zone. Schenn, Simmonds Voracek and Read could all benefit from a Ken Hitchcock to teach them how to be much better in the defensive zone.
They have to try Gus out this year to see how he does. I don't agree that they keep Bryzgalov around this coming year then buy him out. If you wait to buy him out and he gets hurt during the year then you're stuck with him in the organization going forward. Bite the bullet and just buy him out along with Briere. After watching Bernier play against the Blackhawks after LA pulled Quick in game two, the more I think the Flyers should try to acquire him. Let him and Mason fight it out for the number one goalie position and go with them. Keeping Bryzgalov around the team is a negative thing, anyone who has played team sports knows that you don't always like your teammates but you'll put up with them as long as they perform. But when they constantly are a distraction (Sean Avery) then it's time to cut them loose and move on.

Pelle31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2013, 04:15 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Horton's final year of his current deal pays him $5.5 million. The only way the Flyers sign him is if he takes a pay cut and I doubt he's going to do that. He's going to the highest bidder and you know someone out there is going to give him at least $5.5 million, maybe even $6 million. Personally, I want no part of Horton. The concussion history alone is scary.
I didn't say anything about the Flyers signing him, just stating that he is pretty much not resigning in Boston. I wish we had room for him though, he would be the perfect winger for Schenn.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Snotbubbles

I'll give this a try.

Buyout Briere.

Trade Couturier to Edmonton for the 7th overall (draft Valeri Nichushkin)
Draft best D prospect with 11th overall (Nurse/Risto/Pulock/Morrissey)
Re-sign Gagne
Re-sign Hall

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Schenn-Nichushkin
Simmonds-Laughton-Gagne
Talbot-Hall-Rinaldo

Timonen-Schenn
Coburn-Grossmann
Mez-Gus

Bryz/Mason

Snotbubbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 12:11 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Yeah the idea of Horton sounds great until you realize he'll probably be getting like 6 years, 32-36 million.

dawkins121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 02:23 PM
JayB

Two options:

Win now

Buy out Briere and Pronger

Trade Couturier+ for Bobby Ryan

Trade Read+1st+ for Byfuglien/Yandle/Edler (number uno)

Sign big vets like Iginla,Clowe,Morrow.

Ryan-G-Voracek
Hartnell-Schenn-Simmonds
Clowe-Laughton-Morrow
Rinaldo-Talbot-Rosehill

Timonen-Schenn
Buff-Coburn
Gustafson-Grossman

Win later

Buy out Briere&Pronger

Trade Couts to Calgary/Columbus for multiple first rounders/Trade Couts to Dallas for multiple first and second rounders.

Trade Read for as high pick you can/prospect.

Trade Talbot for as high pick you can/prospect.

Trade Mezzy for as high pick you can/prospect.

Trade Coburn for as high pick you can/prospect.

Trade Flyers look a like players like Nichuskin,Zadorov,Nurse,Rychel,Hartman,Horvat,Erne ,Mantha and so on. Get big through draft.

Iginla-G-Voracek
Hartnell-Schenn-Simmonds
Clowe-Laughton-Morrow
Rinaldo-Holmstrom-Rosehill

Timonen-Schenn
Gustafson-Grosmann
best prospect-best prospect

Last edited by JayB: 06-04-2013 at 02:30 PM.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 02:28 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
Two options:

Win now

Win later

Buy out Briere&Pronger

Trade Couts to Calgary/Columbus for multiple first rounders/Trade Couts to Dallas for multiple first and second rounders.

Trade Flyers look a like players like Zadorov,Nurse,Rychel,Hartman,Horvat,Erne,Mantha and so on. Get big through draft.

There is no reason to buy out Pronger. Pronger is also still injured so we can't regardless. If we need space, we can put him on LTIR and be done with it. I still think we should wait for Ryan to be a UFA before we pick him up. I feel that Edler, Buff and Yandle are not worth Read + 2013 1st. Just draft where we are, build off of what we have (hell, we have Gus that is going to be a regular and Ghost will be along eventually).

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Trading Couturier makes winning now AND later less likely, unless Dominik Hasek in his prime visits in a time machine to play for us.

06-04-2013, 02:33 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
Two options:

Win now

Ryan-G-Voracek
Hartnell-Schenn-Simmonds
Clowe-Laughton-Morrow
Rinaldo-Talbot-Rosehill

Timonen-Schenn
Buff-Coburn
Gustafson-Grossman

Win later

Buy out Briere&Pronger

Trade Flyers look a like players like Nichuskin,Zadorov,Nurse,Rychel,Hartman,Horvat,Erne ,Mantha and so on. Get big through draft.

Iginla-G-Voracek
Hartnell-Schenn-Simmonds
Clowe-Laughton-Morrow
Rinaldo-Holmstrom-Rosehill

Timonen-Schenn
Gustafson-Grosmann
best prospect-best prospect
there's so much wrong with both scenarios, but how do you expect guys like Iginla, Clowe, and Morrow to sign with us if we're rebuilding?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Zod
Disappointment Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Trading Couturier makes winning now AND later less likely, unless Dominik Hasek in his prime visits in a time machine to play for us.
I wasn't aware time travelling Hasek was an option. Clearly this should be our foremost plan.

Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 03:35 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

So talking with a few friends and even if its before the draft or FA's, we were trying to discuss how the lineup will unfold.

Came down to a few spots on offense.

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Schenn-Simmonds
xxx-Couturier-xxx
Rinaldo-Laughton-Talbot
Roshill

Now the two spots could be one if the team still likes to play Talbot on the 3rd line. He fits better as a 4th liner but Lavy seems to like doing that (Carcillo on top line, etc etc). Will be interesting to see who grabs the two spots. People seem to think Gagne, but if Im not mistaken didn't TimmyP or someone else state that Gagne is on the back of their minds.

My guess, they sign one forward to play the one 3rd forward spot, and the other spot they let the rookies fight it out. We got the likes of McGinn and Akeson who got some action last season and two players the management seem to think is NHL ready and ready to fight for a spot in Raffl and Straka. Could be some nice roster battles.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Larry44

Toronto SUN story on goalie market

Goalies on the market - mentions Flyers as looking.

Drops potentially available names like Kiprusoff, Miller, Theodore, Smith, Emery.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/06/03...ains-wide-open

Quote:
League sources say the No. 1 goalie market is wide open with Philadelphia, Florida, Edmonton, Washington, Buffalo, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Calgary, Minnesota and the Islanders trying to decide on a direction to take.

Old
06-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
They left out Vancouver as well.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote