HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Souray Dilemma

Old
10-07-2006, 12:08 PM
mcphee

vCash: 500
But don't we have to play the season first to see if he scores 15 goals ? Then we can't trade him. I spot a flaw in your concept.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 12:39 PM
RE-HABS

So does he have to score these 15 by Christmas? Because either way Souray can do whatever he wants this summer being a UFA.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Pascal

Souray has never been great defensively.. he is slow and he can't turn very well when backing up.. he was one of those defensemen that were way better when they could hook people.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 12:53 PM
FTowwn

it would be smart to deal Souray, but not yet. we've only played one game. it would be a smartt thing to deal him before the deadline and then we loose him for nothing as a free agent!

FTowwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 01:00 PM
White Snake*

There are 30 teams that would love to have SOuray on their team. If we trade him we will pay the price. Plus I would hate to see all these threads about Bashing BG when SOuray suceeds somewhere else.

White Snake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 01:03 PM
White Snake*

Before trading SOuray we should be looking to deal Rivet. Pierre Mac said many teams would be interested in Rivet. ALthough he also said the book is out on HUet, many many many times. I love how he said it after we lost the SO like it was Cristobals fault or something. He was saving it the whole game until Huet made the slightest mistake. What a dolt!

White Snake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 01:10 PM
McTusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcooke View Post
If he does not score at least 15 goals this year. At this time his liability will outweigh his offensive upside.

A simple cure for this whole situation would be to pair him with a speedy dman, not another slow one like Rivet. Why does EVERY coach always pair them together and put them out in key situations?
your band sucks

McTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Holy overreacting Batman!

We have only played one game now Souray has to score 15 goals to keep his job? Once again people this is not fantasy hockey there is alot more to the games than stats.

The problem last night was simply a lack of support from the forwards. The effort was there but the gap control was not, it will take a few more regular season games to iron out this problem but with this coaching staff there should be no concerns about this problem not being adressed. Buffalo's speed and puck movement was able to exploit the open ice left between our forwards and defencemen but I am confident that Toronto is not capable of doing the same.

One thing I will say is that Souray and Rivet should never be paired together on the power play as they simple don't skate well enough to have them both pinching.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 01:27 PM
Guy Caballero

Souray's a slow starter. When that big engine revs up, we'll be thankful we have him.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 01:31 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
If he does not score at least 15 goals this year. At this time his liability will outweigh his offensive upside.

A simple cure for this whole situation would be to pair him with a speedy dman, not another slow one like Rivet. Why does EVERY coach always pair them together and put them out in key situations?
and we will trade YOU to the leafs if you don't stop starting threads like this one...

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 01:37 PM
Markimark

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Snake View Post
Before trading SOuray we should be looking to deal Rivet. Pierre Mac said many teams would be interested in Rivet. ALthough he also said the book is out on HUet, many many many times. I love how he said it after we lost the SO like it was Cristobals fault or something. He was saving it the whole game until Huet made the slightest mistake. What a dolt!
WS, I think I have you figured out. You're related to Souray and hate Rivet because of it..lol. Easier to blame the other guy, right. You thought Rivet played poorly even after a stand up season last year....obviously something personal.
I like Shelly and think he brings positives to the table but you'd have to be a half wit to think Rivet doesn't.

Markimark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 01:42 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markimark View Post
WS, I think I have you figured out. You're related to Souray and hate Rivet because of it..lol. Easier to blame the other guy, right. You thought Rivet played poorly even after a stand up season last year....obviously something personal.
I like Shelly and think he brings positives to the table but you'd have to be a half wit to think Rivet doesn't.
They're both important parts of this team. The problem is they're each playing one position above where they should be playing. Souray is a number 3 d-man pretending to be a number 2, and Rivet is a 3rd pairing defenseman playing top-4 minutes. What we need...what we've always needed...is a real number 2 defenseman.

Old
10-07-2006, 01:50 PM
HabuseMoi

is there one team in the NHL that could be interested in either of them + Aeb for a top 3 puck moving d?

if not it's not realy worth it right now

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 02:03 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

It's one game! against the fastest team in the East and we still went to SO against them! relax! its one freakin game!

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 02:22 PM
Markimark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
They're both important parts of this team. The problem is they're each playing one position above where they should be playing. Souray is a number 3 d-man pretending to be a number 2, and Rivet is a 3rd pairing defenseman playing top-4 minutes. What we need...what we've always needed...is a real number 2 defenseman.
Rivet is very capable of playing top four minutes and won't have a problem finding a new home at the end of this year. He proved his capabilities last year with Markov, the problem is every time he succeeds he is forced to play with someone like Traverse or Souray that falters defensively and lacks in skill.
What we have to decide is, does Souray's scoring ability out weigh his defensive liability. Life is full of trade offs!

Old
10-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markimark View Post
Rivet is very capable of playing top four minutes and won't have a problem finding a new home at the end of this year. He proved his capabilities last year with Markov, the problem is every time he succeeds he is forced to play with someone like Traverse or Souray that falters defensively and lacks in skill.
What we have to decide is, does Souray's scoring ability out weigh his defensive liability. Life is full of trade offs!
Souray gets burned a lot in open ice, but when he's on his game he's suffocating along the boards. His defensive game is not a total liability. He was a beast defensively in late 2004 after coming back from his injury, and he was pretty good in the second half last year. He's just a slow starter.

Old
10-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Bunka Gurndeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs911 View Post
It's one game!

No, it isn't one game. I've seen these two play together for many years and it's always the same thing. They are not mobile enough to play in the new NHL together. We get burned by these two time and time again and every coach does the same thing and in a key situation (with a minute left) they are right back on the ice.

Mark my words, if not 15 goals by trade deadline he's gone.

Bunka Gurndeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 03:17 PM
tchendoh

Send a message via ICQ to tchendoh Send a message via MSN to tchendoh Send a message via Yahoo to tchendoh
It's like the new Joe Juneau, you don't understand why the coach put him so often in key situations and he fails all the time...

tchendoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Quote:
No, it isn't one game. I've seen these two play together for many years and it's always the same thing. They are not mobile enough to play in the new NHL together. We get burned by these two time and time again and every coach does the same thing and in a key situation (with a minute left) they are right back on the ice.

promise not to post anymore if it doesnt happen?

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Markimark

Quote:

Actually, no one is mobile enough to play with Souray in the new NHL...lol. Heck even Dandy, who we know has wheels got burned repeatedly when playing with Shelly.
Even Markov has been burned alot and he's our hero. At the end of last season he was becoming the second coming of Souray. Maybe we just focus to much on our own guys.

Old
10-07-2006, 03:39 PM
Markimark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Rivet had to play wider than Souray, the lw'er was even with the play, so he read his side while Souray just took a alzy half turn.

AS much as we want to find fault on the last goal, give the Sabres credit. Whoever retrieved the puck at their blueline made a great turnaround pass. It caught the Mtl forwards flat footed before they could get in a good position in the neutral zone.
McPhee you are refreshing. You my man, should apply for the next coaching position....lol You have a good sense for the game.

Old
10-07-2006, 03:43 PM
LamborGREENie

Souray + Markov = Winning Combination ; Power and Slapper + Speedy , Agile , Great D-Man .

LamborGREENie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Evil Ted

Im just curious those people who think sourays going to get traded who do you expect to drop the gloves for us if hes gone? and be successful?

No one stands up for teammates after the wistle like souray and no one can throw bombs like him either.

Im not saying he wont get moved but to say he will unless he scores 15 goals is kindof dumb. He will not get traded over that statistic, he will get traded if we can get good return or maybe we are not going to make the playoffs, he wont get traded though because he cant score 15 goals.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 04:04 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Im just curious those people who think sourays going to get traded who do you expect to drop the gloves for us if hes gone? and be successful?
Komisarek?

I think if we trade Souray we definitely need to get back somebody of his equivalent on defense, which will not be easy.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2006, 04:07 PM
tritone

Link ?

Oh wait, no link? Could it be because you're just blowing chunk?

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote