HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rasmus Bengtsson?

Old
05-23-2013, 09:25 AM
luby3131

vCash: 500
Rasmus Bengtsson?

I believe this 2nd round pick from 2011 needs to be signed by June 1st or we lose his rights. Has anybody heard anything about this? He's currently playing for Muskeegon in the USHL and had 24 assists last season. He was a big riser late in the 2011 draft season and I haven't heard much about him since. Not sure how he's developed but all I know is USHL to AHL is a massive jump for any prospect.

luby3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Because he was actually drafted out of Europe, we may be able to retain his rights longer. I'd have to check again but I'm almost positive we would have his rights longer than just thru this June. His Euro club is just loaning him to the USHL anyway so he could very easily go back to them next season (if he has a contract there).

Even if he does get signed, its most likely that he starts out in the ECHL instead of the AHL to allow him to continue his development curve. We will have plenty of young d-men in the AHL next yr anyway so it may be good for him to start out in the ECHL.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:46 AM
The Cat Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by luby3131 View Post
I believe this 2nd round pick from 2011 needs to be signed by June 1st or we lose his rights. Has anybody heard anything about this? He's currently playing for Muskeegon in the USHL and had 24 assists last season. He was a big riser late in the 2011 draft season and I haven't heard much about him since. Not sure how he's developed but all I know is USHL to AHL is a massive jump for any prospect.
I dont have a link, but I recall reading he is considering going back to SEL next season. I don't feel he has proven enough dominance in USHL to earn a contract yet, but I just go by his numbers

The Cat Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:56 AM
gudzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat Captain View Post
I dont have a link, but I recall reading he is considering going back to SEL next season. I don't feel he has proven enough dominance in USHL to earn a contract yet, but I just go by his numbers
his old club recently got promoted to SEL so i could see it as a possibility

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat Captain View Post
Actually his numbers werent bad at all. He was 26th overall among d-men scoring in the league. Keep in mind that Muskegon barely made the playoffs (were eliminated after losing all 3 games) and was not a high scoring team at all (5th lowest in the league among 16 teams). With d-men, you can never just go by numbers though. If he does go back to the SEL, it wouldnt be the worst thing in the world for him though so long as he gets more icetime than he was previously.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 03:20 PM
romelson

Send a message via MSN to romelson
Quote:
Originally Posted by dej View Post
his old club recently got promoted to SEL so i could see it as a possibility
His old club actually got knocked out of SEL this spring so they'll be playing SEL2 next season.
Bengtsson himself visited SEL champions Skelleftea, a couple of days ago. Nothing has been announced about any signing or so, but obviously is looking for a SEL club to play for, it seems. Skelleftea has btw been very successful in developing d-men recently. Adam Larsson, Tim Erixon, David Rundblad, Petter Granberg, all come from there.

Last edited by romelson: 05-23-2013 at 03:42 PM.
romelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 04:09 PM
gudzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by romelson View Post
His old club actually got knocked out of SEL this spring so they'll be playing SEL2 next season.
Bengtsson himself visited SEL champions Skelleftea, a couple of days ago. Nothing has been announced about any signing or so, but obviously is looking for a SEL club to play for, it seems. Skelleftea has btw been very successful in developing d-men recently. Adam Larsson, Tim Erixon, David Rundblad, Petter Granberg, all come from there.
oic, was last year they got promoted when he went for USHL, my bad. i remembered it as it was this year they got promoted lol

if he ends up in SAIK it'd be a good thing

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 08:34 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Sweden has a transfer agreement with the NHL so I do think Bengtsson has to sign by June. Good call, I wasn't even thinking about him. He's several years away from cracking our lineup if he ever does, but I he has some nice attributes. Id be upset if we didnt get him signed.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 12:21 AM
flapanthersfan

off topic: but what about Corban Knight? is he signed? if not, when does he have to sign by?

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 02:16 AM
AaronEkbald
2nd to last in goals

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
off topic: but what about Corban Knight? is he signed? if not, when does he have to sign by?
No reason why he shouldn't be signed.

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 04:37 AM
SoupyFIN
#character

vCash: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Because he was actually drafted out of Europe, we may be able to retain his rights longer. I'd have to check again but I'm almost positive we would have his rights longer than just thru this June.
Preds 2011 2nd round pick Salomaki had to be signed by June and he was, so I guess the same rules apply to Rasmus.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:57 AM
romelson

Send a message via MSN to romelson
Local hockey bloggers last update from Bengtsson (3h ago) was that he has not yet been offered a contract with Skelleftea. "We're still having discussions with Skelleftea".

http://norran.se/hockeybloggen/?ifra...key.norran.se/
(link in Swedish)

romelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 09:58 AM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Preds 2011 2nd round pick Salomaki had to be signed by June and he was, so I guess the same rules apply to Rasmus.
Thats what I meant about the transfer agreement, Finland has one with the NHL also so that's why Salomaki had to be signed within two years. Russia doesnt have a transfer agreement with the NHL, for example, so Kosov doesnt need to be signed until he is 27.

Re: Knight, he has to be signed by 8/15

Old
06-01-2013, 11:41 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

I read a tweet saying that we did not re-sign Bengtsson. Also, we did not re-sign Iiro Pakarinen.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 05:51 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Maybe Bengtsson can become a depth NHL player in time, but it's not really a big loss. I liked the pick very much at the time, but there has been basically no progression here.

Just took a quick look at our European scouting success since 2000. Drafting players out of Europe (So Kulikov for instance does not count), we've had a few mediocre and disappointing 1st round picks (Olesz, Frolik, Krajicek, Tatickek) and absolutely nothing else. Kreps and Majesky are the only players with 200 games or more. Niether contributed much to the organisation. Kreps was from the CHL however. Repik was from the CHL, and is now in Europe.

Dadonov is the only other European based draftee to have made the NHL.

13 years of drafts and the best non-1st round pick is Ivan Majesky. Jesus.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 06:45 AM
Laus723
Future Now

While that sounds terrible, how do most other teams stack up? (Other than Detroit)

06-02-2013, 07:30 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

You only get compensation pick when you don't sign a 1st rounder, right?

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 07:34 AM
Huffman

Thought he looked very shaky at the WJC, making some really stupid decisions at crucial times.

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 12:34 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
While that sounds terrible, how do most other teams stack up? (Other than Detroit)
I won't pretend to have any substantial data, since i'm frankly too lazy to check, however it's going to be towards the bottom end of NHL teams. You do have a few NHL teams who will be skewed since they don't draft out Europe very much.

Detroit hasn't really had much success drafting out of Europe recently. It's become somewhat of an overstated myth based on the 90's results. They're good, but it's not comparable to the perceptions.

5 1st Euro picks since 2000, best is Kulikov followed by Frolik. No other Euro pick outside of the 1st round remains in the league.

I don't know who our Euro scouts have been over that length of time, but recent drafts haven't been that promising either. Dadonov is no longer our property. Markstrom the one ray of hope (but should be seperated IMO, since a Goalie is very different to a skater), Donskoi wasn't signed, Bengtsson and Pakarainen wasn't signed whilst Kosov remains unsigned and Delnov had an interesting but unspectacular year in the WHL.

Awesome panthers ; no, we don't get a compensation pick.

Old
06-02-2013, 12:43 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
I won't pretend to have any substantial data, since i'm frankly too lazy to check, however it's going to be towards the bottom end of NHL teams. You do have a few NHL teams who will be skewed since they don't draft out Europe very much.

Detroit hasn't really had much success drafting out of Europe recently. It's become somewhat of an overstated myth based on the 90's results. They're good, but it's not comparable to the perceptions.

5 1st Euro picks since 2000, best is Kulikov followed by Frolik. No other Euro pick outside of the 1st round remains in the league.

I don't know who our Euro scouts have been over that length of time, but recent drafts haven't been that promising either. Dadonov is no longer our property. Markstrom the one ray of hope (but should be seperated IMO, since a Goalie is very different to a skater), Donskoi wasn't signed, Bengtsson and Pakarainen wasn't signed whilst Kosov remains unsigned and Delnov had an interesting but unspectacular year in the WHL.

Awesome panthers ; no, we don't get a compensation pick.
Im not going to try to fluff up the Panthers' European scouting, but the fact that Kosov isn't signed doesnt really mean much. He was drafted out of Russia so we have many years before we have to sign him, same with Delnov. Kosov is a good NHL prospect. I dont thinl Delnov will ever be a big scorer in the pros in North America, but he could be a good bottom six pest. He has a little bit of skill with some nice chippiness and willingness to play around the net. Nielsen also had a good year in Sweden.

Old
06-02-2013, 01:00 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Im not going to try to fluff up the Panthers' European scouting, but the fact that Kosov isn't signed doesnt really mean much. He was drafted out of Russia so we have many years before we have to sign him, same with Delnov. Kosov is a good NHL prospect. I dont thinl Delnov will ever be a big scorer in the pros in North America, but he could be a good bottom six pest. He has a little bit of skill with some nice chippiness and willingness to play around the net. Nielsen also had a good year in Sweden.
We're discussing marginal NHL prospects here. Kosov is a good player, but he doesn't possess high end offensive skills and will likely make good money at home. I've never seen Delnov, but again, that option is always there.

Nielsen might become a solid depth NHL player, but we're years from that if it happens.

We obviously have a Russian present in a scouting staff, which is good. However, the results (and they are limited and susceptible to variance and luck) are disappointing. Then again, it's simply in line with our scouting overall in the last 15 years.

Old
06-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
We're discussing marginal NHL prospects here. Kosov is a good player, but he doesn't possess high end offensive skills and will likely make good money at home. I've never seen Delnov, but again, that option is always there.

Nielsen might become a solid depth NHL player, but we're years from that if it happens.

We obviously have a Russian present in a scouting staff, which is good. However, the results (and they are limited and susceptible to variance and luck) are disappointing. Then again, it's simply in line with our scouting overall in the last 15 years.
I know we're discussing marginal prospects, but they are still prospects, who could one day contribute. I was just clarifying a little. And again, I'm not trying to fluff anything up, our European scouting is definitely among the worst. I liked the idea of bringing Kent Nilsson on board at the time, but I haven't been terribly impressed with him.

Old
06-02-2013, 01:19 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I know we're discussing marginal prospects, but they are still prospects, who could one day contribute. I was just clarifying a little. And again, I'm not trying to fluff anything up, our European scouting is definitely among the worst. I liked the idea of bringing Kent Nilsson on board at the time, but I haven't been terribly impressed with him.
We have among the weakest pool of European prospects currently. Circumstance and variance will play a part in that.

How long has Nilsson been with us? I vaguely remember the news of him joining.

The thing about any scouting group is they require several years to show what they are capable of. Nevermind the fact that good scouts make mistakes, there is so much variable luck both in who is available, who has the power of selection and how the prospect development curve can proceed in unforseen circumstances.

Old
06-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
We have among the weakest pool of European prospects currently. Circumstance and variance will play a part in that.

How long has Nilsson been with us? I vaguely remember the news of him joining.

The thing about any scouting group is they require several years to show what they are capable of. Nevermind the fact that good scouts make mistakes, there is so much variable luck both in who is available, who has the power of selection and how the prospect development curve can proceed in unforseen circumstances.
Nilsson was hired in summer 2010. His first pick was Bengtsson. I like how Nielsen is looking for a 7th though.