HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trading for RDP

Old
06-02-2013, 02:34 PM
ttcminaker

vCash: 500
Trading for RDP

If anyone watched the Hotstove last night on HNIC then you heard Elliot Friedman state that the Isles are telling teams that if they will take DiPietro then the Isles will add assets to make it worth while. The buyout would be $24 million which is significant cash regardless how loaded Pegula is.

If the Sabres were to jump on this, what assets would you think they would want in return?

I would say 15 th overall pick plus one of Niño, Strome or Reinhart would be a starting point.

ttcminaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

I would say it will cost Isles significantly ...but man... they'd be stupid to give up that much. Will go to show its about the Money, Money, Money ..and not about the Cup, Cup, Cup with Everybody Wang Chung Tonight.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcminaker View Post
If anyone watched the Hotstove last night on HNIC then you heard Elliot Friedman state that the Isles are telling teams that if they will take DiPietro then the Isles will add assets to make it worth while. The buyout would be $24 million which is significant cash regardless how loaded Pegula is.

If the Sabres were to jump on this, what assets would you think they would want in return?

I would say 15 th overall pick plus one of Niño, Strome or Reinhart would be a starting point.
When the Isles say they'll sweeten the pot for a team to take DP and buy him out, I doubt they're talking anything even close to what you're proposing.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 02:50 PM
ttcminaker

When you ask a team to take $24 million dollars off your hands, it better be be a substantial package. A 2nd round pick is getting no one to bite and does any team think the 15th overall pick in the draft by itself is worth $24 million? I think it will have to be significant to get someone to bite. RDP has zero value as a player, you are simply taking him of their hands in order to buy him out.

It will be interesting to see if it does happen, what the Isles have to cough up.

ttcminaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 02:51 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
When the Isles say they'll sweeten the pot for a team to take DP and buy him out, I doubt they're talking anything even close to what you're proposing.
Nobody has a clue because there has never been precedence set for something like this, and even if there had been one, we have no clue how desperate they are to move him. Saving a team $24 million is a big deal. I imagine it would be at least a top prospect, maybe more. There needs to be incentive to do it, and a middle of the road prospect wouldnt cut it.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Then no one will take him, why would a team simply take 24 million dollars off your hands for anything less than that sort of package.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 02:52 PM
WYFR
StanleyCupSabres

talk with Pegula, if he's willing to drop the cash on the buy out, and we could get good young prospects and/or assets it wouldn't be the worst idea.

WYFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Nobody has a clue because there has never been precedence set for something like this, and even if there had been one, we have no clue how desperate they are to move him. Saving a team $24 million is a big deal. I imagine it would be at least a top prospect, maybe more. There needs to be incentive to do it, and a middle of the road prospect wouldnt cut it.
Gretzky move was kinda similar...no?

Old
06-02-2013, 02:56 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

One Isle fan thinks there is going to be a bidding war on DP.. =/

Teams are going to have a set offer that it would take them to absorb 24 million....there won't be negotiating going on..

Old
06-02-2013, 02:58 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Gretzky move was kinda similar...no?
I guess I don't count something that happened 25 years ago as setting a precedence.

If we could pull something like this off, say get Strome and a 1st back, it would certainly help us build a package to move into the top 5.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
Then no one will take him, why would a team simply take 24 million dollars off your hands for anything less than that sort of package.
I expect the Isles would take some kind of less painful salary dump in return, thus lessening the impact of DP's 24 million on the team acquiring him. In that case, I doubt the acquiring team gets a 1st, a top prospect, and then more (considering the OP called the first two things a mere starting point).

But yeah, it's uncharted territory. At the very least, it makes things interesting.

Old
06-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
I expect the Isles would take some kind of less painful salary dump in return, thus lessening the impact of DP's 24 million on the team acquiring him. In that case, I doubt the acquiring team gets a 1st, a top prospect, and then more (considering the OP called the first two things a mere starting point).

But yeah, it's uncharted territory. At the very least, it makes things interesting.
Why not just buy out the player they trade for Dipietro?? Unless the asset is a 1st or a top prospect, I don't see why anyone would take on that contract just to lose a poor contract.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
Why not just buy out the player they trade for Dipietro?? Unless the asset is a 1st or a top prospect, I don't see why anyone would take on that contract just to lose a poor contract.
I think you could get either, or. I just don't think you get both and then more on top of it.

Old
06-02-2013, 03:43 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I guess I don't count something that happened 25 years ago as setting a precedence.

If we could pull something like this off, say get Strome and a 1st back, it would certainly help us build a package to move into the top 5.
Why would we trade Strome if we got him, kid just had a great season, doubt they would even think of moving him.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 03:54 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Why would we trade Strome if we got him, kid just had a great season, doubt they would even think of moving him.
Don't think he mentioned anything about moving Strome if we obtained him.

All he said is it allows for a better package to be put together in order to move up.

Old
06-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

Buffalo certainly has deep enough pockets to do it (it still feels weird saying that) and getting the 15th pick back would give them even more ammo to move up. If trading for then buying out DiPi is what it takes to move up into the top four of the draft, I'd absolutely make a trade for him.

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 04:23 PM
dma0034

Kotalik's 3 million contract was worth Calgary giving up a 2nd to get rid of it. 24 million? Yeah that will be quite a bit more.

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 04:41 PM
buffswords

What about Leino for RDP+

buffswords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 04:51 PM
matthew94

Send a message via AIM to matthew94
#15 & Nino

matthew94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Lloydchristmas138

What about DP, Nino + 15 for Miller?

Lloydchristmas138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Lloydchristmas138

Or other possible assets like Matt Martin, Donovan, or the negotiating rights to Streit?

Lloydchristmas138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcminaker View Post

Wait, wha wha what?

There are some posters on here who know more than Elliote Friedman who swore that Wang would have no problem with being willing to buy out Dipietro himself.

Last edited by Jacob582: 06-02-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 06:53 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
Wait, wha wha what?

There are some posters on here who know more than Elliote Friedman who swore that Wang would have no problem with being willing to buy our Dipietro himself.
So? That doesn't mean he's not advertising him to see if he can get another team to do it for him.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Nobody has a clue because there has never been precedence set for something like this
There is somewhat a precedence in the Olaf Kolzig trade to Toronto in 2009.

It was Kolzig and Jamie Heward (cap dumps) prospect Andy Rogers (former 30th overall pick?) and a 4th round pick heading from Tampa to the Leafs.

Going the other way was a nothing prospect, Rich Petiot, in order to make it a "real" trade (i.e. we'd send something like Crawford or Riley Boychuk).

Granted the DP contract is a much larger (and longer) albatross and would take far more than a middling prospect and a 4th to sweeten.

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 09:06 PM
SabreDr

Trade Miller and Vanek and have the Islanders pay their salaries this year and get Strome, the 15th pick, a 2nd and another top 10 prospect. I'm not sure how much actual salary Vanek is supposed to make next year but say it's 7 mil + Millers 6.5 million. That would lower the cash out of Pegula's pocket to 10.5 million with the difference between Dipietro's buyout of 24 mil minus 13.5 mil in salary off the Sabres books by dealing Miller and Vanek. Of course Miller would have to want to go to the Islanders.

Last edited by SabreDr: 06-02-2013 at 09:11 PM.
SabreDr is offline   Reply With Quote